• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
HollywoodGolightly

Noirs & Gangster movies coming up on FMC

*_FRIDAY, DEC. 4_*

*Thieves' Highway* (1949) 12pm ET

A tough drama about a war veteran turned truck driver out to avenge his father's mistreatment at the hands of a crooked fruit dealer in San Francisco.

Cast: Richard Conte, Valentina Cortese, Lee J. Cobb, Barbara Lawrence, Jack Oakie, Millard Mitchell. Director: Jules Dassin

Great noirs on FMC this weekend! :D

*_SATURDAY, DEC. 12_*

*Nightmare Alley* (1947) 8am ET

Tyrone Power is excellent in a change-of-pace role as a carnival con man who masters a mind-reading act and teams up with an unethical psychiatrist to scam wealthy clients in this part-film noir, part-gothic thriller.

Cast: Tyrone Power, Joan Blondell, Coleen Gray, Helen Walker, Taylor Holmes, Mike Mazurki, Ian Keith, George Jessel. Director: Edmund Goulding

*Vicki* (1953) 10am ET

When a woman is murdered, her sister (Crain) and the prime suspect (Reid) join forces to find the killer. Remake of "I Wake Up Screaming".

Cast: Jean Peters, Jeanne Crain, Richard Boone, Casey Adams, Elliot Reid. Director: Harry Horner

*Thieves' Highway* (1949) 11:30am ET

A tough drama about a war veteran turned truck driver out to avenge his father's mistreatment at the hands of a crooked fruit dealer in San Francisco.

Cast: Richard Conte, Valentina Cortese, Lee J. Cobb, Barbara Lawrence, Jack Oakie, Millard Mitchell. Director: Jules Dassin.

*_SUNDAY, DEC. 13_*

*Cry of the City* (1948) 7:15am ET

A New York police lieutenant (Victor Mature) walks a tightrope as he tracks tracks his former best friend, who is now a cop-killer.

Cast: Victor Mature, Richard Conte, Shelley Winters, Fred Clark, Tommy Cook. Director: Robert Siodmak

*The House on 92nd Street* (1945) 9am ET

Documentary-style drama based on fact about Nazi agents in NYC trying to steal the atomic bomb formula. Extensive use of actual FBI headquarters and training facilities locales as well as actual FBI surveillance footage. E.G. Marshall uncredited debut.

Cast: Leo G. Carroll, William Blythe, Signe Hasso, Gene Lockhart. Director: Henry Hathaway

Two of the movies shown this weekend will be shown again Monday morning:

*_MONDAY, DEC. 14_*

*Cry of the City* (1948) 8am ET

A New York police lieutenant (Victor Mature) walks a tightrope as he tracks tracks his former best friend, who is now a cop-killer.

Cast: Victor Mature, Richard Conte, Shelley Winters, Fred Clark, Tommy Cook. Director: Robert Siodmak.

*Nightmare Alley* (1947) 10am ET

Tyrone Power is excellent in a change-of-pace role as a carnival con man who masters a mind-reading act and teams up with an unethical psychiatrist to scam wealthy clients in this part-film noir, part-gothic thriller.

Cast: Tyrone Power, Joan Blondell, Coleen Gray, Helen Walker, Taylor Holmes, Mike Mazurki, Ian Keith, George Jessel. Director: Edmund Goulding

*_TUESDAY, JAN. 5_*

*Somewhere in the Night* (1946) 10am ET

An amnesiac (Hodiak) returns from WWII trying to discover his lost identity and learns that he may be a murderer.

Cast: John Hodiak, Richard Conte, Nancy Guild, Lloyd Nolan. Director: Joseph L. Mankiewicz

Good point, Valentine

Today, there is a rare _afternoon_ showing of Vicki on FMC:

*Vicki* (1953) 12:30pm ET

When a woman is murdered, her sister (Crain) and the prime suspect (Reid) join forces to find the killer. Remake of "I Wake Up Screaming".

Cast: Jean Peters, Jeanne Crain, Richard Boone, Casey Adams, Elliot Reid. Director: Harry Horner

1953 was a big year for Jean Peters; Niagara, Pickup On South Street, Blueprint For Murder and Vicki. I sure wish she hadn't given up her career.

*_FRIDAY, JAN. 22_*

*Somewhere in the Night* (1946) 10:30am ET

An amnesiac (Hodiak) returns from WWII trying to discover his lost identity and learns that he may be a murderer.

Cast: John Hodiak, Richard Conte, Nancy Guild, Lloyd Nolan. Director: Joseph L. Mankiewicz

*Thieves' Highway* (1949) 12:30am ET

Cast: Richard Conte, Valentina Cortese, Lee J. Cobb, Barbara Lawrence, Jack Oakie, Millard Mitchell. Director: Jules Dassin.

*_MONDAY, JAN. 25_*

*Somewhere in the Night* (1946) 10:30am ET

*Vicki* (1953) 12:30pm ET

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> *_MONDAY, JAN. 25_*

> *Somewhere in the Night* (1946) 10:30am ET

>

> *Vicki* (1953) 12:30pm ET

Home sick today, watching these flix. Saw SOMEWHERE IN THE NIGHT before, excellent film! First time for VICKI, just starting now.

DVR'd RAIN and THE WHOLE TOWN'S TALKING from TCM, plus some Westerns from Encore for later. In bed and watching classix all day!

Thank you! I do feel a bit better, thanks to a day of wonderful classic films!

I really enjoyed VICKI, pretty decent remake of I WAKE UP SCREAMING, though that was generally superior. I thought Richard Boone was pretty good in the Laird Cregar role though!

> {quote:title=markbeckuaf wrote:}{quote}

> I thought Richard Boone was pretty good in the Laird Cregar role though!

Is that a role that Laird Cregar really would have been considered for, you think? Or is it just that it reminded you of the kind of roles Cregar played before his tragic death?

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=markbeckuaf wrote:}{quote}

> > I thought Richard Boone was pretty good in the Laird Cregar role though!

>

> Is that a role that Laird Cregar really would have been considered for, you think? Or is it just that it reminded you of the kind of roles Cregar played before his tragic death?

Actually Laird was in the exact same role in the original that VICKI was a remake of, I WAKE UP SCREAMING. I kind of felt Boone was the only actor to match his predecessor somewhat, the others all were lesser I felt, though still an interesting and well done film!