• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
HollywoodGolightly

Noirs & Gangster movies coming up on FMC

*_SATURDAY, FEB. 27_*

*The House on 92nd Street* (1945) 7:30am ET

Documentary-style drama based on fact about Nazi agents in NYC trying to steal the atomic bomb formula. Extensive use of actual FBI headquarters and training facilities locales as well as actual FBI surveillance footage. E.G. Marshall uncredited debut.

Cast: Leo G. Carroll, William Blythe, Signe Hasso, Gene Lockhart. Director: Henry Hathaway.

*Somewhere in the Night* (1946) 9am ET

An amnesiac (Hodiak) returns from WWII trying to discover his lost identity and learns that he may be a murderer.

Cast: John Hodiak, Richard Conte, Nancy Guild, Lloyd Nolan. Director: Joseph L. Mankiewicz

*_MONDAY, MARCH 1_*

*Somewhere in the Night* (1946) 10am ET

An amnesiac (Hodiak) returns from WWII trying to discover his lost identity and learns that he may be a murderer.

Cast: John Hodiak, Richard Conte, Nancy Guild, Lloyd Nolan. Director: Joseph L. Mankiewicz

*Nightmare Alley* (1947) 12pm ET

Tyrone Power is excellent in a change-of-pace role as a carnival con man who masters a mind-reading act and teams up with an unethical psychiatrist to scam wealthy clients in this part-film noir, part-gothic thriller.

Cast: Tyrone Power, Joan Blondell, Coleen Gray, Helen Walker, Taylor Holmes, Mike Mazurki, Ian Keith, George Jessel. Director: Edmund Goulding

*_WEDNESDAY, MARCH 3_*

*Cry of the City* (1948) 8am ET

A New York police lieutenant (Victor Mature) walks a tightrope as he tracks tracks his former best friend, who is now a cop-killer.

Cast: Victor Mature, Richard Conte, Shelley Winters, Fred Clark, Tommy Cook. Director: Robert Siodmak.

*Vicki* (1953) 11:30am ET

When a woman is murdered, her sister (Crain) and the prime suspect (Reid) join forces to find the killer. Remake of "I Wake Up Screaming".

Cast: Jean Peters, Jeanne Crain, Richard Boone, Casey Adams, Elliot Reid. Director: Harry Horner

Thanks for keeping this thread going Holly!

I forgot that FMC's website lets you see the current and next month's schedule...next month they are bringing in the original "Night and the City" into rotation. It is airing three times - great for those of us who haven't brought ourselves to spend the $40 on the Critertion DVD. Hangover Square will also be airing twice in April.

> {quote:title=LoveFilmNoir wrote:}{quote}

> Thanks for keeping this thread going Holly!

You're welcome, I'm glad you find it useful :)

> I forgot that FMC's website lets you see the current and next month's schedule...next month they are bringing in the original "Night and the City" into rotation. It is airing three times - great for those of us who haven't brought ourselves to spend the $40 on the Critertion DVD. Hangover Square will also be airing twice in April.

I'm very excited about that, of course! I've rented the Criterion DVD before, but it'll be nice to be able to record the thing from FMC.

*_MONDAY, MARCH 8_*

*The Street with no Name* (1948) - 10am ET

A gritty FBI crime drama about an agent (Stevens) sent undercover to expose the dealings of a crafty mobster (Widmark) who outwits the feds at every turn.

Cast: Richard Widmark, Mark Stevens, Ed Begley, Barbara Lawrence. Director: William Keighley

*The Dark Corner* (1946) 12pm ET

A private eye (Mark Stevens) framed for murder is chased by cops and crooks.

Cast: Clifton Webb, Mark Stevens, Lucille Ball, Kurt Kreuger. Director: Henry Hathaway

*Thieves' Highway* (1949) 2pm ET

A tough drama about a war veteran turned truck driver out to avenge his father's mistreatment at the hands of a crooked fruit dealer in San Francisco.

Cast: Richard Conte, Valentina Cortese, Lee J. Cobb, Barbara Lawrence, Jack Oakie, Millard Mitchell. Director: Jules Dassin.

*_TUESDAY, MARCH 9_*

*Dangerous Crossing* (1953) 1pm ET

A bride's (Jeanne Crain) husband (Carl Bentz) disappears on board a luxury liner in the mid-Atlantic and she desperately searches to find him amidst dangerous circumstances.

Cast: Michael Rennie, Carl Betz, Casey Adams, Mary Anderson. Director: Joseph M. Newman

*Vicki* (1953) 2:30pm ET

When a woman is murdered, her sister (Crain) and the prime suspect (Reid) join forces to find the killer. Remake of "I Wake Up Screaming".

Cast: Jean Peters, Jeanne Crain, Richard Boone, Casey Adams, Elliot Reid. Director: Harry Horner

While everyone else was watching Cyd, I was watching A STREET WITH NO NAME. What a contrast. This was Widmark's follow-up to KISS OF DEATH.

*_WED., MARCH 10_*

*The House on 92nd Street* (1945) 7:30am ET

Documentary-style drama based on fact about Nazi agents in NYC trying to steal the atomic bomb formula. Extensive use of actual FBI headquarters and training facilities locales as well as actual FBI surveillance footage. E.G. Marshall uncredited debut.

Cast: Leo G. Carroll, William Blythe, Signe Hasso, Gene Lockhart. Director: Henry Hathaway.

If you ever get the chance to watch an episode of The Man From UNCLE ( or one of the movies created from a 2 part episode), don't miss it . UNCLE was a great show, David McCallum was right up there with the Beatles as a teen age heart throb. And as a 12 year old boy, I (and most of my friends) wanted to be Illya Kuryakin.

I've heard a lot of good things about the series, mrroberts. I'd really like to catch up with it one of these days, though I guess it most likely means tracking them down on DVD, if they're out there.

I have the complete Man From UNCLE DVD series. A little pricey, but I don't have too many DVD sets like that and UNCLE is a favorite of mine. Happy to say they did a great job, the quality is very good and there's a lot of bonus stuff, interviews etc.

I loved *The Man From Uncle* as a teen, and can still enjoy it today. But, when you watch it, remember, it is a satire, which a lot of people don't seem to realize.

As a pre-teen, watching UNCLE was serious stuff. You could go to sleep at night knowing Napoleon Solo and Illya Kuryakin were on the job, keeping us safe from those bad guys from THRUSH. Now 40+ years later, I have grown up a little and appreciate UNCLE for the satire, and can sleep at night. I also still watch Illya, now known as "Ducky" on NCIS.

Stefanie Powers was April Dancer, the Girl From UNCLE, for 1 season. Noel Harrison (son of Rex) was her agent partner Mark Slate.

Sorry about getting off topic here. Back to the topic: On March 15th, Fox has a good morning lineup starting at 6am with Tyrone Power in Nightmare Alley.

>>I loved The Man From Uncle as a teen, and can still enjoy it today. But, when you watch it, remember, it is a satire, which a lot of people don't seem to realize.

The trouble was that the show went from slight satire (the first season had considerably more dramatic content) to a Batman level of outrageous spoof midway through the second season. I was a devoted fan, but I bailed out in the third season. I did return for the fourth and final go-round which few else were watching and which contained some of the best episodes.

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}

> >>I loved The Man From Uncle as a teen, and can still enjoy it today. But, when you watch it, remember, it is a satire, which a lot of people don't seem to realize.

>

> The trouble was that the show went from slight satire (the first season had considerably more dramatic content) to a Batman level of outrageous spoof midway through the second season

I believe the reason for that is that they realized that the audience didn't understand that it was a satire. In fact Mel Brooks made *Get Smart* to satirize the satire *Man From Uncle* !