• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
HollywoodGolightly

Noirs & Gangster movies coming up on FMC

*_SATURDAY, MARCH 27_*

*The House on 92nd Street* (1945) 8:30am ET

Documentary-style drama based on fact about Nazi agents in NYC trying to steal the atomic bomb formula. Extensive use of actual FBI headquarters and training facilities locales as well as actual FBI surveillance footage. E.G. Marshall uncredited debut.

Cast: Leo G. Carroll, William Blythe, Signe Hasso, Gene Lockhart. Director: Henry Hathaway.

*The Dark Corner* (1946) 10am ET

A private eye (Mark Stevens) framed for murder is chased by cops and crooks.

Cast: Clifton Webb, Mark Stevens, Lucille Ball, Kurt Kreuger. Director: Henry Hathaway

*The Street with no Name* (1948) - 12 noon ET

A gritty FBI crime drama about an agent (Stevens) sent undercover to expose the dealings of a crafty mobster (Widmark) who outwits the feds at every turn.

Cast: Richard Widmark, Mark Stevens, Ed Begley, Barbara Lawrence. Director: William Keighley

I was channel surfing and just happened to see The Street With No Name coming up at

twelve. It was a well done flick, more of a gangster and procedural movie than straight

noir, one of those "every attempt has been made to film the scenes where they actually

occurred" movies, though there were enough noirish elements in the mix. The environment

was pretty seedy, as were some of the characters. Mark Stevens was convincing in his

role, and Richard Widmark played a Tommy Udo like character, though toned down a

notch or two, and with more smarts. He was a real sharp-dressed crook in this one, but

that didn't save him. A very pleasant way to spend 90 minutes.

*_WEDNESDAY, APRIL 7_*

*Cry of the City* (1948) 8:30am ET

A New York police lieutenant (Victor Mature) walks a tightrope as he tracks tracks his former best friend, who is now a cop-killer.

Cast: Victor Mature, Richard Conte, Shelley Winters, Fred Clark, Tommy Cook. Director: Robert Siodmak.

*_THURSDAY, APRIL 8_*

*The Dark Corner* (1946) 6am ET

Cast: Clifton Webb, Mark Stevens, Lucille Ball, Kurt Kreuger. Director: Henry Hathaway

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> I believe he only completely replicated a Tommy Udo-like persona in a segment of O HENRY'S FULL HOUSE.

And I can watch his segment over and over again just for his rendition of "De Camptown Races". Hilarious.

The Night and the City (1950) will be shown on FMC again tomorrow, Monday April 12th, at 9:45am ET. Hope that helps!

*_MONDAY, APRIL 12_*

*The Night and the City* (1950) 9:45am ET

Jules Dassin's film noir classic follows a conniving wrestling promoter's (Richard Widmark) shady dealings with the London underworld.

Cast: Richard Widmark, Herbert Lom, Hugh Marlowe. Director: Jules Dassin

*Panic in the Streets* (1950) 11:30am ET

A medical officer (Richard Widmark) races against time after he discovers two gun-happy hoodlums (Zero Mostel and Jack Palance) are running around the streets of New Orleans carrying the virus to a deadly new plague.

Cast: Paul Douglas, Jack Palance, Barbara Bel Geddes, Zero Mostel. Director: Elia Kazan

*Thieves' Highway* (1949) 1:30pm ET

A tough drama about a war veteran turned truck driver out to avenge his father's mistreatment at the hands of a crooked fruit dealer in San Francisco.

Cast: Richard Conte, Valentina Cortese, Lee J. Cobb, Barbara Lawrence, Jack Oakie, Millard Mitchell. Director: Jules Dassin.

Night And The City is definitely one of the best noir films of all, call it an essential noir. And it is one of Richard Widmark's finest film roles. I give it an A+.

I've been shying away from buying it (cost), probably will eventually. I do have the dvd of Pickup On South Street though.

I have Night And The City on an old VHS tape recording, rather crude visually. I will eventually buy the DVD, I am sure it has a number of bonus features, commentary etc. Hopefully will find it on sale, got to watch those pennies at times.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> I saw the De Niro remake. How similar is it?

Not very similar at all, and the original is about a thousand times better.

I agree, the original is much better, and the "remake" is very different. In the original look for Herbert Lom ( Chief Inspector Dreyfus in The Pink Panther movies). He plays a particularly vicious mob boss who Richard Widmark gets in trouble with.

Just looked up Herbert Lom; the CHIEF Inspector is still with us. He is 92. He also starred in the 1962 film version of The Phantom Of The Opera, a very good movie.

Richard Widmark is one of my favourite actors. He was especially effective in noir films. Everyone thinks of his performances in "Night and the City", and of course "Kiss of Death". But the stand-out Widmark performance, and one of the absolute best film noirs of all time, is "Pick Up on South Street". Widmark's at his best as a tough, cynical pickpocket artist, and there's an unbelievable chemistry between him and Jean Peters, the "muffin" of the story. Also, Thelma Ritter will almost make you cry, with her sad , funny, rag lady about town character.There are many unforgettable scenes in this great and undeservedly obscure Sam Fuller film, including the sparkling erotic first meeting between Widmark and Peters, the defiant "I don't care who's a Commie" speech delivered by Skip McCoy (Widmark) to the police, and the heart breaking death scene of Thelma Ritter's character, with the melancholy old French song "Mam'selle" scratching away on the phonograph (Sinatra does a version of this years later.) One of my favourite noir films, and for that matter, one of my favourite films of any genre.

*_TUESDAY, APRIL 20_*

*Dangerous Crossing* (1953) 7:30am ET

A bride's (Jeanne Crain) husband (Carl Bentz) disappears on board a luxury liner in the mid-Atlantic and she desperately searches to find him amidst dangerous circumstances.

Cast: Michael Rennie, Carl Betz, Casey Adams, Mary Anderson. Director: Joseph M. Newman

*Cry of the City* (1948) 9am ET

A New York police lieutenant (Victor Mature) walks a tightrope as he tracks tracks his former best friend, who is now a cop-killer.

Cast: Victor Mature, Richard Conte, Shelley Winters, Fred Clark, Tommy Cook. Director: Robert Siodmak.

*Somewhere in the Night* (1946) 11am ET

An amnesiac (Hodiak) returns from WWII trying to discover his lost identity and learns that he may be a murderer.

Cast: John Hodiak, Richard Conte, Nancy Guild, Lloyd Nolan. Director: Joseph L. Mankiewicz

*_WEDNESDAY, APRIL 21_*

*Nightmare Alley* (1947) 10:30am ET

Tyrone Power is excellent in a change-of-pace role as a carnival con man who masters a mind-reading act and teams up with an unethical psychiatrist to scam wealthy clients in this part-film noir, part-gothic thriller.

Cast: Tyrone Power, Joan Blondell, Coleen Gray, Helen Walker, Taylor Holmes, Mike Mazurki, Ian Keith, George Jessel. Director: Edmund Goulding

*_FRIDAY, APRIL 23_*

*The Dark Corner* (1946) 10:15am ET

*Panic in the Streets* (1950) 12pm ET

A medical officer (Richard Widmark) races against time after he discovers two gun-happy hoodlums (Zero Mostel and Jack Palance) are running around the streets of New Orleans carrying the virus to a deadly new plague.

Cast: Paul Douglas, Jack Palance, Barbara Bel Geddes, Zero Mostel. Director: Elia Kazan