Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
HollywoodGolightly

Noirs & Gangster movies coming up on FMC

Misswonderly, how many people out there do you think know about the "Empress Of Ireland" and her place in Canadian history?

mr roberts (and finance) to be honest, just like you, I'd have to look it up. I can't decide if I'm embarrassed or flattered about this Canadian business. I'm quite sure there are lots of Canadian members of this TCM fan community, who are probably rolling their eyes at my "Canadian" perspective right now. It's kind of fun, and I'm a bit flattered, because it makes me feel as though Canadians are kind of exotic, when in fact we're so much like Americans, you wouldn't even know the difference (maybe an accent).

In the part of Canada where I live, we only just starting receiving the Turner Classic Movie station about 3 years ago. Before that, the CRTC (don't ask!) banned TCM because it did not have enough "Canadian content". They finally realized how misguided that policy was , and now I can watch TCM movies as much as I want. Although there still occasionally seem to be No Canadian Rights issues around some films Turner airs. Like one of the George Raft films the other night.

By the way, I looked it up and apparently it was an ocean liner that sank in the St. Lawrence River in 1905, one of the biggest shipwreck disasters of the era.

I know that there is at least one other person on these boards who mentioned in the past few months that he or she is a Canadian....Incidentally, take a look at the "Do You Know Me" question currently outstanding in "Games and Trivia".

Edited by: finance on May 4, 2010 4:16 PM

misswonderly wrote:

"Thanks, Arturo. I like Otto Preminger. I'll watch for "The Thirteenth Letter."

Good luck. I've been watching out for it for years now. Outside of a showing 3 years or so ago at the American Cinematheque here in Hollywood (as part of a Preminger retrospective), I haven't seen this listed on TV since I was a kid (late 70s). Would make a GREAT addition to 20th's ongoing (?) Fox Noir series of DVD releases.

> {quote:title=Arturo wrote:}{quote}

> Would make a GREAT addition to 20th's ongoing (?) Fox Noir series of DVD releases.

The folks at Fox haven't released any new noirs on DVD for at least 2 years I believe.

This being Fox's 75th anniversary, they keep promising they'll do special things this year, but so far they haven't announced the video release of any classic movie that wasn't already available on video. (At most it's blu-ray releases of classic Fox films already available on DVD).

finance - the other poster from Canada you might be thinking of is stjohnrv, I believe he's in Vancouver B.C. (my apologies if I'm mistaken)

Barely 2 years after the famous Titanic sinking the Canadian liner Empress Of Ireland (May 29, 1914) sank in the St Lawrence river after being rammed by another ship. Over 1000 people died in that tragedy, few people today know anything about it. Back to the thread; on Friday morning, May 7th, Fox has 4 good noirs in a row. Richard Widmark stars in 2 and Jean Peters stars in 2, and those 2 are 2 of my favorite stars.

Some good noirs coming up Friday...

*_Friday, May 7_*

*Pickup on South Street* (1953) 11am ET

A petty thief (Richard Widmark) gets in above his head after he steals the purse of a woman (Jean Peters) who's under suspicion of being a communist spy.

Cast: Richard Widmark, Richard Kiley, Murvyn Vye, Thelma Ritter. Director: Samuel Fuller

*Vicki* (1953) 12:30pm ET

When a woman is murdered, her sister (Crain) and the prime suspect (Reid) join forces to find the killer. Remake of "I Wake Up Screaming".

Cast: Jean Peters, Jeanne Crain, Richard Boone, Casey Adams, Elliot Reid. Director: Harry Horner

*Thieves' Highway* (1949) 2pm ET

A tough drama about a war veteran turned truck driver out to avenge his father's mistreatment at the hands of a crooked fruit dealer in San Francisco.

Cast: Richard Conte, Valentina Cortese, Lee J. Cobb, Barbara Lawrence, Jack Oakie, Millard Mitchell. Director: Jules Dassin.

*_MONDAY, MAY 10_*

*The Dark Corner* (1946) 6am ET

A private eye (Mark Stevens) framed for murder is chased by cops and crooks.

Cast: Clifton Webb, Mark Stevens, Lucille Ball, Kurt Kreuger. Director: Henry Hathaway

*Panic in the Streets* (1950) 7:45am ET

A medical officer (Richard Widmark) races against time after he discovers two gun-happy hoodlums (Zero Mostel and Jack Palance) are running around the streets of New Orleans carrying the virus to a deadly new plague.

Cast: Paul Douglas, Jack Palance, Barbara Bel Geddes, Zero Mostel. Director: Elia Kazan

*The House on 92nd Street* (1945) 9:30am ET

Documentary-style drama based on fact about Nazi agents in NYC trying to steal the atomic bomb formula. Extensive use of actual FBI headquarters and training facilities locales as well as actual FBI surveillance footage. E.G. Marshall uncredited debut.

Cast: Leo G. Carroll, William Blythe, Signe Hasso, Gene Lockhart. Director: Henry Hathaway.

*Dangerous Crossing* (1953) 12:30pm ET

A bride's (Jeanne Crain) husband (Carl Bentz) disappears on board a luxury liner in the mid-Atlantic and she desperately searches to find him amidst dangerous circumstances.

Cast: Michael Rennie, Carl Betz, Casey Adams, Mary Anderson. Director: Joseph M. Newman

*Night and the City* (1950) 2pm ET

Jules Dassin's film noir classic follows a conniving wrestling promoter's (Richard Widmark) shady dealings with the London underworld.

Cast: Richard Widmark, Herbert Lom, Hugh Marlowe. Director: Jules Dassin

Holly, I know there are probably other ways for me to find this out, but you seem to be quite knowledgeable about this sort of thing:

Can you tell me why the TCM schedule differs, depending on what part of the continent one lives in? I have been disappointed on numerous occasions by a change in TCM programming. There are some rare films I've always wanted to see, hear that they are playing on TCM, only to find out that they are not going to be shown in Canada. Aren't most of these films too old to still have rights restrictions? What's up with this?

If you can tell me why this happens, I'd appreciate any information you can tell me about this. :)

Edited by: misswonderly on May 10, 2010 11:57 AM

Yes, I'm pretty sure it has to do with rights issues, and TCM not being able to get clearance to show the movie in Canada because someone else owns the rights there - many of the movies that TCM shows are still not in the public domain or anything like that, and they have to respect this to avoid any kind of legal trouble.

BTW, I've noticed that your knowledge of film noir is pretty erudite. You must be a pretty big fan. Noir is one of my favourite genres too. I appreciate the information about these films that you share with the rest of us.

Did you see that post (aargh -I can't remember offhand which thread it was -General Discussion, maybe??) where they announce a film noir celebration with Dashiell Hammett's heirs in attendance.

"15 Noir Oscars" I believe it was called. Come to think of it, I bet you already announced it. In fact, come to think of it, I wouldn't be surprised if you had something to do with organizing it or something.It sounds right up your street. It would be fun to attend.

I"m sure it is rights issues. I have a house in Manila. When I'm there I watch TCM on my satellite and it's much different. Three movies which are repeated. Then three more which are repeated. Six movies in a 24 hour period and almost exclusively MGM and WB films. Rare is the RKO.

MissWonderly,

TCM overseas is a very different animal than the one presented here on the North American continent. Some of it has to do with rights issues, as Holly mentioned. Another factor is satellite time. In some countries, TCM is only available a few hours a day. Another factor is that some foreign countries don't have the number of channels available that we do here in the States, so TCM has to share a channel with another cable company.

TCMProgrammr talked about the Canadian rights issue at the TCM Film Festival a couple of weeks ago. Many of the films that TCM airs are vetted for both American and Canadian rights. There are some films, however, where another studio or distribution company owns the Canadian rights to a film. When that happens, TCM has to substitute a film that they can legally air in Canada.

As for the *15 Noirs* festival, that is taking place in the City of Angels and is being organized and presented by the Academy of Motion Pictures, Arts and Sciences.

I'm almost more disappointed about not being able to attend the 15 Noirs Festival than I was about missing the TCM Classic Film Festival. I'd give away my considerable noir DVD collection to attend.

(Well, actually not. I love my noir DVDs, especially the cleaned up ones where I can really see the beauty to those black and white babies.)

As to Canadian rights issues, I have been frustrated and disappointed many times when it comes to anticipated TCM programming, and a change has been made. Now I do the obvious -I check the TCM website for the Canadian schedule. Still, since most of these movies are decades old, you'd think it could be sorted out by now. Sometimes they're not even American movies that are at issue. I recall getting excited about a British film I've always wanted to see, Dead of Night , and being dismayed and even kind of angry that it wasn't to be shown in Canada. Ah, the burdens a dedicated film fan has to bear.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> I'm almost more disappointed about not being able to attend the 15 Noirs Festival than I was about missing the TCM Classic Film Festival. I'd give away my considerable noir DVD collection to attend.

I actually don't think it's such a great festival, compared to other noir festivals. If I remember correctly, every one of the movies being shown there is easily available on home video.

Don't get me wrong - it's always nice to see them in a theater, of course. But the best noir festivals, imho, are the ones which include a healthy dose of noir titles that have never even been released on home video.

Noir City is still widely considered the country's best noir festival, I believe, and it tours the U.S. on a yearly basis, including cities near the Canadian border, such as Seattle and Chicago.

It might be worth looking into, perhaps.

Here is a link to the Noir City website:

http://www.noircity.com/

The festival takes place each January in San Francisco's historic Castro Theater, and noir fans come from all over the U.S. and other countries to catch 10 days of +noir heaven. But, as I said before, Noir City also tours around the U.S. during the rest of the year.

Check out the SIFF website for Seattle or the one for the Music Box in Chicago, depending on which one's closer to you.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> Sometimes they're not even American movies that are at issue. I recall getting excited about a British film I've always wanted to see, Dead of Night , and being dismayed and even kind of angry that it wasn't to be shown in Canada. Ah, the burdens a dedicated film fan has to bear.

Dead of Night is a favorite of mine too. Actually, I would expect there to be more rights problems with British films and Canada, since Canada is legally related to the UK, and Canadian rights may normally have been bundled with UK rights, and US rights separated.

Val,

I don't pretend to be an expert on TV licensing rights, but I do believe that even though Canada is a part of the British commonwealth, a lot of the rights to movies and TV shows are negotiated so as to include both Canada and the U.S., since it makes it easier to reach all English-speaking viewers in North America (not trying to disparage French-speaking Canadians, mind you).

Some great noirs coming up Sunday and Monday...

*_SUNDAY, MAY 16_*

*Night and the City* (1950) 10am ET

Jules Dassin's film noir classic follows a conniving wrestling promoter's (Richard Widmark) shady dealings with the London underworld.

Cast: Richard Widmark, Herbert Lom, Hugh Marlowe. Director: Jules Dassin

*Cry of the City* (1948) 12pm ET

A New York police lieutenat (Victor Mature) walks a tightrope as he tracks tracks his former best friend, who is now a cop-killer.

Cast: Victor Mature, Richard Conte, Shelley Winters, Fred Clark, Tommy Cook. Director: Robert Siodmak

*_MONDAY, MAY 17_*

*Somewhere in the Night* (1946) 8am ET

An amnesiac (Hodiak) returns from WWII trying to discover his lost identity and learns that he may be a murderer.

Cast: John Hodiak, Richard Conte, Nancy Guild, Lloyd Nolan. Director: Joseph L. Mankiewicz

*Pickup on South Street* (1953) 2pm ET

A petty thief (Richard Widmark) gets in above his head after he steals the purse of a woman (Jean Peters) who's under suspicion of being a communist spy.

Cast: Richard Widmark, Richard Kiley, Murvyn Vye, Thelma Ritter. Director: Samuel Fuller