Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which of the "great directors" in June do you look forward to the most?

This article has the list, if you don't remember off the top of your head:

http://www.tcm.com/movienews/index/?cid=239081

According to the auteur theory in cinema studies, the director is the ?author? of a film and the person most responsible for a film?s distinctive qualities. This June, Turner Classic Movies (TCM) will put that concept front and center as it celebrates the work of more than 50 top directors from around the world. TCM?s month-long GREAT DIRECTORS festival will featured nearly 350 films, including the works of classic directors like Frank Capra (It Happened One Night), Alfred Hitchcock (Notorious) and John Ford (Stagecoach); mavericks like Orson Welles (Citizen Kane), Billy Wilder (Some Like It Hot) and Blake Edwards (Victor/Victoria); international icons like Ingmar Bergman (The Seventh Seal), Federico Fellini (La Strada), Francois Truffaut (Jules and Jim) and Akira Kurosawa (Kagemusha); and modern masters like Steven Spielberg (Saving Private Ryan), Martin Scorsese (GoodFellas) and Woody Allen (Hannah and Her Sisters). Also included in the festival will be several memorable documentaries about and interviews with legendary directors.

?The enormous response we receive each August with our SUMMER UNDER THE STARS festival, which features a different actor or actress? work each day, inspired us to create this expansive showcase of the world?s greatest film directors,? said Charles Tabesh, senior vice president of programming for TCM. ?With this festival, we are once again able to utilize TCM?s tremendous roster of film titles to create an in-depth, authoritative examination and celebration of a particular aspect of cinema.?

Each weekday of the GREAT DIRECTORS festival will feature two directors, one during the daytime and another in primetime and late night. The daytime lineup will feature such directors as Victor Fleming (June 2), Fritz Lang (June 8), John Huston (June 11), Jacques Tourneur (June 12), Robert Wise (June 16), Blake Edwards (June 19), Otto Preminger (June 23), David Lean (June 26) and Sidney Lumet (June 29).

Weeknight primetime directors include John Ford (June 1), Frank Capra (June 2), Ingmar Bergman (June 4), Steven Spielberg (June 5), Preston Sturges (June 10), Akira Kurosawa (June 11), Woody Allen (June 12), Orson Welles (June 16), Francois Truffaut (June 18), Martin Scorsese (June 19), Stanley Kubrick (June 24), Federico Fellini (June 25), Norman Jewison (June 26) and Cecil B. DeMille (June 29).

Each Saturday and Sunday, TCM will present 24 hours of one director?s work and will include Saturday 8 p.m. installments of THE ESSENTIALS showcase, hosted by Robert Osborne and Alex Baldwin, and Sunday 8 p.m. editions of THE ESSENTIALS JR., hosted by John Lithgow. The weekend directors include William Wyler (June 6), Michael Curtiz (June 7), Billy Wilder (June 13), Howard Hawks (June 14), Mervyn LeRoy (June 20), Vincente Minnelli (June 21), Alfred Hitchcock (June 27) and George Cukor (June 28).

I am looking forward to the Billy Wilder day because they are playing The Spirit Of St. Louis for the first time since the Aviation Marathon in June of 2007. The Hitchcock day is another good lineup and they are also playing some good movies on the Cecil B. Demile day.

> {quote:title=markbeckuaf wrote:}{quote}

> I'm sincerely hoping that TCM does not continue this particular promotion again. 3 months a year (SUTS, Oscars, and now this) is a bit too much.

Amen to that! February, June and August suck...looking forward to July.

The upcoming day (Saturday) devoted to Billy Wilder includes a showing of the documentary, *Billy Wilder Speaks*.

This doc includes footage of the excised morgue scene that was the original open of *Sunset Blvd*.

I can't wait for Scorcese. I've already seen the films, but for some reason seeing them on TCM just sounds too cool.

Why not Spielberg, Allen, or Kubrick, johnm_001? They're three of my favorite directors of all time.

• 2 weeks later...

> {quote:title=Addebeh wrote:}{quote}

> I can't wait for Scorcese. I've already seen the films, but for some reason seeing them on TCM just sounds too cool.

Well, you should have a great time tonight, then! :)

One of the movies I'm looking forward to the most is coming up next week:

v73v5t.jpg

*A Royal Scandal* (1945)

Catherine the Great falls in love with an army officer who is plotting against her.

Cast: Tallulah Bankhead, Charles Coburn, Anne Baxter, William Eythe Dir: Otto Preminger BW-94 mins, TV-PG

This is the one that Lubitsch started to direct but couldn't finish.

• 2 weeks later...