Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hangin' Around the DVD Water Cooler

FrankGrimes was hoping for a general discussion area about DVDs, not related to the individual threads already set up, and so here it is. (The "Water Cooler" title was FG's.)

So start your gabbin', folks.

Well, I was just reading the other day about Amazon's new trade-in program for used DVDs and blu-rays. There are many stores where you can trade in old videos, but this is the first time that I know that an online retailer is doing it.

(I posted a thread about this in Hot Topics, because I didn't think it would fit in with any of the existing categories here, and besides more people might see it in HT than here).

Some of the rates that Amazon offers seem pretty low, but for some folks it might still make more sense to sell them to Amazon than to give them away, I guess

Actually, it isn't Amazon that is buying them. If you go to the Frequently Asked Questions section, it says:

The Amazon Trade-In Program allows you to receive an Amazon.com Gift Card in exchange for sending your eligible items *to a third-party merchant*.

Thanks for starting this thread, FilmLover. I'm always looking for an outlet to talk about

DVDs and this thread should provide me and others with that. I hope others will share

their opinions with everyone on their DVD collection and their wish lists and everything

else in the world of DVD, thus opening the door for some back and forth. Hopefully we

can come up with some interesting ideas and questions to make this thread a quality read and,

possibly, a helpful guide.

One question that always interests me is how many movies others own on DVD. I'm

talking actual films, not DVDs. I'm currently at 699 movies. I know you (FilmLover),

Edgecliff, and CalvinNMe are probably three of the biggest collectors on this board. So how

many movies do y'all have on DVD?

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> One question that always interests me is how many movies others own on DVD. I'm talking actual films, not DVDs. I'm currently at 699 movies. I know you (FilmLover), Edgecliff, and CalvinNMe are probably three of the biggest collectors on this board. So how many movies do y'all have on DVD?

I have literally lost count of how many DVDs I have. I suppose it may have been close to 300 or so at one point, but I've been trying to get it down to a bit less than that. I might be taking advantage of the trade-in thing being done through Amazon to trim the collection a bit more; ideally I'd like to keep it down to less than 150, mostly by getting rid of stuff I don't watch much (unless I think it might go out-of-print).

dvdaf.com puts my count at 1089 titles on 1220 discs. However, I actually have more than that because some of the titles I bought from Amazon are not in their inventory. I can think of these for sure:

Just Imagine (1930)

Kid Boots (Eddie Cantor silent)

Love Stories (A public domain set of 10 classic romance films)

Buster Keaton Educational Shorts (I got this set from looserthanloose.com)

Hmmm, if we are talking just studio-issued movies, my DVD list (which I haven't updated in a few months) shows 1,406 film titles (some of these are in box sets). (Note: these are studio-issued, so I have not included those 50 movie packs of PD titles at all.)

I have not yet done up a list of TV shows on DVDs, but I would expect that would increase the list quite a bit.

And I have about 200 Blu-ray titles.

And about 35,000 old-time radio shows.

Lets see if this post can go through....only been waiting six hours.

That is quite an impressive amount of films you have collected FilmLover!

I always like to know also, like Frank has said as to how many films each person who writes on these forums has in their collections. And there are the breakdowns of films for each director the person has that is also interesting to know. And also how many of these films are represented by which decade they were produced in.

These are all really fun ways to develop meaningful conversations about DVD's.

I don't know if you'd want this new thread to go in a direction like that, but that also would be fun to not only talk about how many films each person has in their collections, but how many films of each director is also represented. And how they came to have so many films of each director listed in there collections.

I know that this thread is devoted to DVDs, but I am listing how many of both types I have in my collection Both DVD and VHS. Since a great many people here still use VHS to tape off of TCM.

My collection is like this:

380 individual films on DVD

190 individual films on VHS

That is a total of: 570 films

What I am doing and have been trying to accomplish these past few years is to replace my VHS tapes with store bought / by on the internet DVDs. I do not have a DVD-R machine, nor am I willing to purchase one.

To me that is a waste of time, mostly because with most film releases on DVD, I like to purchase these movies mainly for their extra content / features that they may have on them.

Eventually I will purchase a flat screen TV and with that purchase I will also get a blue-ray player. One that has an upconverter on it. One thing I am NOT going to do is convert all of my 380 current DVDs to Blue-ray DVDs. The process of going from VHS to DVD was / is expensive enough.

Maybe Holly or Frank would know, but my guess is that not ALL current titles on regular DVD will also be produced on Blue-ray discs?

Although I would have to say that with the current economic downturn, today's DVD's are a lot less expensive than those VHS tapes were when I purchased them brand new.

One other way one could get rid of their older regular VHS tapes or DVD's that they do not want anymore would be to donate the tapes / dvds to nursing homes or other facilities where thier budgets do not include money available to purchase tapes or dvds. Not only would you be doing something very beneficial for these folks, but it is also tax deductible.

Out of my list of 190 VHS films, there are about 50 that are remaining that were taped. The remainder were retail purchases. My plan would also be to try and sell my retail tapes at a garage sale in the future. I have thought about going on ebay, but with so many other movies listed similar to mine, it might take a lot longer to get rid of them. Although I have been proven wrong before about that one..

And, a great shout out to Frank for suggesting someone come up with a thread like this one.

Thanks for all of your input into this new thread. here is hoping that this thread will.....

Live Long and Prosper!

Fxreyman

> {quote:title=fxreyman wrote:}{quote}

> I know that this thread is devoted to DVDs, but I am listing how many of both types I have in my collection Both DVD and VHS. Since a great many people here still use VHS to tape off of TCM.

I think that's a good idea, Rey. Obviously many of us also have VHS tapes and blu-rays, maybe even laserdiscs, but it would make for a very awkward thread title to include all of those. ;)

> What I am doing and have been trying to accomplish these past few years is to replace my VHS tapes with store bought / by on the internet DVDs. I do not have a DVD-R machine, nor am I willing to purchase one.

Is there any reason you decided against getting a DVD recorder? I'm only asking because I have found it very convenient to be able to transfer anything from TCM or other movie channels into a DVD-R, each of which can be as cheap as $0.25 or so.

> Maybe Holly or Frank would know, but my guess is that not ALL current titles on regular DVD will also be produced on Blue-ray discs?

Chances are, it won't happen. DVDs have been around for about a decade, and there are still many titles that were once released on VHS that aren't out on DVD. The same could happen with blu-rays. Nobody really knows what the format's life expectancy could be, or how willing most movie fans would be to choose a digital delivery format (streaming, downloading, etc.)

Right now, studios are still reluctant to release some older movies in blu-ray because the blu-ray sales might account for maybe 5% or so of all the copies they will sell on both formats. But as more people switch to blu-ray, that could change quickly.

The tipping point, most likely, will be the release of very popular movies, like the Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future and Lord of the Rings trilogies, which aren't on blu-ray yet. (Though LOTR could supposedly be released on blu-ray this year). By the time all of these movies are on blu-ray, the format will be well on its way to being adopted by most people.

Still, classics are always going to be tricky, because a lot of movies just aren't in good enough shape to look good in a HD format. It really takes a good restoration and a careful video transfer to make them look as good as they can on blu-ray. We can expect this to happen with the most popular of the classics, but maybe not with the more obscure titles.

fxreyman said: I always like to know also, like Frank has said as to how many films each person who writes on these forums has in their collections. And there are the breakdowns of films for each director the person has that is also interesting to know. And also how many of these films are represented by which decade they were produced in.

These are all really fun ways to develop meaningful conversations about DVD's.

I don't know if you'd want this new thread to go in a direction like that, but that also would be fun *to not only talk about how many films each person has in their collections, but how many films of each director is also represented. And how they came to have so many films of each director listed in there collections.*

LOL, not a chance, count me out. I have my individual title DVDs in alphabetical order and that's it!

• 1 month later...

*Is there any reason you decided against getting a DVD recorder? I'm only asking because I have found it very convenient to be able to transfer anything from TCM or other movie channels into a DVD-R, each of which can be as cheap as $0.25 or so.*

The real reason why I don't want to buy a DVD-R machine is that I would prefer to purchase a movie or televison program already on DVD. This way I can also get any worthwhile extras that the makers of the movie or TV show has done and included them on the DVD.

I find that my tastes are all over the place. I also only purchase DVDs about two or three times per year. And when I do purchase them, I try and get the most bang for my buck. That was especially true when I purchased the HBO series John Adams. Along with the actual mini-series, I was able to watch hours and hours of extra stuff they provided.

You are NOT going to find extras by recording from a dvd-r machine. I already have a vhs machine. If I want or need to tape I will. Although I have not taped a single program or movie in more than four years. I just don't have the time in my life right now to do that.

• 2 months later...

This really didn't seem to fit under "Upcoming Releases" or "Special Sales", so I figured I might as well post it here.

digitalbits.com has posted information regarding 12 "easter eggs" that can be found in the new blu-ray set with Season 2 of the original Star Trek series. For info on the easter eggs, read this:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviewshd/bdreviews092409.html#egg

from classicflix.com:

In our quarterly assessment of classic titles released on DVD, we can actually report that more titles were released (60) during this past third quarter, than in third quarter 2008 (55). However, that is mainly due to two companies with vastly increased output (VCI & Sony).

Year to date, classic releases on DVD are down 27%. And we are likely to see worse year to year numbers when all is said and done for 2009. This is mainly due to the fact that new releases for feature films from the major studios have come to a halt. In fact, not a single new release of a feature film was announced in the entire month of September (Warner Archive, Blu-Ray & Re-Releases Excluded).

The top chart (below) compares releases during the third quarter this year and last. The bottom chart compares releases for the first nine months of 2009 with 2008.

In brief:

Major Labels

Sony was up last quarter mainly thanks to their Screwball Comedy Sets

Universal was up, but is down for the year overall and is likely to remain so even with the upcoming Claudette Colbert Collection

Paramount is up and continues to make use of its T.V. library

Warner is down drastically, but the stats do not take into account the Warner Archive Collection which at present sits at 253 titles

MGM & Fox: Are they still in business?

Smaller Labels

VCI continues to excel with its British sets, Serials, Westerns & mainly B selections

Criterion is up with three recent Art House releases in addition to That Hamilton Woman

Infinity is even, but we can expect Spike Jones and Jerry Lewis sets this fall

Kino is down for the quarter and way down for the year to date

Shout! Factory is even, but their overall pace has slowed too

Timeless Media is up and will probably be about even for the year

MPI is down while Flicker Alley and All Day look to be comfortable at a one release a year pace

Modifications

We have permanently stopped tracking the studios below as they seem to have abandoned classic film releases all together. Could Fox & MGM be next?

Legend Films

Roan

Weinstein Co.

Classic Media

Image Entertainment

S'More Entertainment

Criteria

Only titles that are new to DVD are counted (no "Special Editions" or Blu-ray)

Boxed sets count the tiles in the set and not the set itself (ex. The recently released Doris Day Spotlight Collection counts as 5 and not 1)

Re-released titles don't count, except ones that are were out of print (ex. Rembrandt in the recent Korda Eclipse Collection)

Not included here are PD labels like Alpha

Warner Archive titles are not included

Yellow is for studios behind last year's pace. Green for ahead.

DVD SCORE CARD - Third Quarter:

score1

DVD SCORE CARD - Year to Date:

score2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/noslojla/3975413774/sizes/m/

I find that kind of information to be fascinating, FilmLover. Thanks for posting it.

Will Fox return to releasing some classic films on DVD? They have been one

of the very best and now they've gone cold. I can understand Warner's pull-back

because of the Archive. Maybe Fox is going to jump into those waters next.

My DVD money is going to Sony. I plan on getting both film noir box sets, the film

noir dames box, the Rita Hayworth box, and the Sam Fuller box. I expect to do this

by the Deep Discount sale next Spring/Summer. I will also continue buying the

Three Stooges collections. So Sony can bank on me.

VCI's Summer Storm is also a title I'm looking forward to.

Any upcoming DVD releases float your fancy?

FrankGrimes,

For my holiday shopping season, I made a list and, though incomplete, I find only a few DVD releases on it so far:

The Three Stooges vol. 7

Walt Disney Treasures: Zorro Season 1 and 2

Mannix the Third Season

Most of what I am hoping to get are Blu-ray releases:

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

Gone with the Wind Ultimate Collectors Edition

The General

The 39 Steps (UK)

Henry V (UK)

Hamlet (UK)

Star Trek (the newest movie)

Star Trek the Original Series Season 3

Up

Night at the Museum 2

Monsters, Inc.

North by Northwest

The Prisoner: the Complete Series

It?s A Wonderful Life

Forrest Gump

Miracle on 34th Street

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory

Galaxy Quest

A Christmas Carol (Sim)

Rocky: the Undisputed Collection

Love Actually

The Mel Brooks Collection

As far as Fox goes, I am uncertain what their plans are, but, regretably, I think they don't have any before the start of the year for getting into classics. It would be nice if they surprised us and came out with something really spectacular like the Ford at Fox or Murnau/Borzage sets...but don't know.

The Warner Archives continue to come out from WB, but I'd like it if they dropped the price to $9.99 across the board. We used to be able to get some really nice remastered sets with extras for about $30-60 (and usually about 5 or 6 movies in it) but now we get these un-remastered titles with no extras at $20 each (unless you get one of the group specials they have).

Personally I am being very selective what I buy and I don't buy Blu Ray from the UK and rarely buy newer titles although I have preorded LORD OF THE RINGS (BR) . The only titles in the fall that I am interested in are:

THE CLAUDETTE COLBERT COLLECTION

FILM NOIR SET FROM COLUMBIA

SUMMER STORM

RITA HAYWORTH COLLECTION (February)

I already preordered SNOW WHITE (BR), ESTHER WILLIAMS, NORTH BY NORTHWEST (BR) and GWTW (BR). Will pass on the BR of CHRISTMAS CAROL and MIRACLE ON 34th ST. Both of these I have in standard dvd and really don't want to upgrade on these titles which look very good to me. Its doubtful if FOX will come up with any more titles for Christmas since they would have already announced them. It will be interesting to see what WBHV has upcoming. I would hope another FILM NOIR set, SHOW BOAT Collection (long overdue), SILENT FILM COLLECTION (King VIdor, THE BIG PARADE, SHOW PEOPLE, etc.) and RAINTREE COUNTY (BR?). I think January will be a dead month as far as classic releases. I believe it was last January too.

Hiya Edgecliff,

I'm interested in most of those titles myself. Some of them, I might not order until the DD supersale or just whenever I see a really great price.

I've also been somewhat reluctant to order from the UK because many titles will eventually be released here too. The UK DVD of the restored Lola Montes is tempting, but I'll be surprised if Criterion or someone else doesn't release that here sometime soon.

One blu-ray I'll definitely be ordering from the UK is Woodstock, because it seems that it contains all of the "exclusive features" that in the U.S. were split between the amazon exclusives and the target exclusives. In other words, if you buy the UK version, you get all the bonus features from both the amazon and target exclusive sets.

Hi, Edge, thanks for replying to my post. I've been watching the Blu edition of Sunrise and just thought I would check in here for a minute.

You reminded me that I have also preordered the LOTR trilogy on Blu but its release has now been delayed until 2010 sometime, which can be good because they are supposed to include the expanded editions in it.

On titles that I get from the UK, it is usually ebecause they don't have a release here. (Really looking forward to the color spectacle of Henry V.)

I would like to see that Show Boat set when it comes out. But I expect it would be something they would issue in the summer or early fall of next year, if they do get it out in 2010. Doesn't strike me as a Christmas type of release. .

And you are right in that January, based on previous experience, is going to be a dry month. But I certainly have hopes for some titles to be released in the year, including high def Blu-ray releases of Ben-Hur and the rumored Ten Commandments. Plus whatever will be celebrating a special anniversary in 2010.

Hey, FilmLover -- Mannix, eh? Very nice. I like that show, too. I haven't

been getting too many television DVDs. Alfred Hitchcock Presents will be one

of the TV boxes I will get this Fall. I got into the DVD game a little late, so I'm

still in the process of getting box sets that have been out for a while.

As far as Fox goes, I am uncertain what their plans are, but, regretably, I think they

don't have any before the start of the year for getting into classics. It would be nice

if they surprised us and came out with something really spectacular like the Ford

at Fox or Murnau/Borzage sets...but don't know.

I can see them holding off on producing such an expensive niche item. I've been

hoping for more film noir or Gene Tierney and Linda Darnell films. I was impressed by

their releasing Tyrone Power box sets.

The Warner Archives continue to come out from WB, but I'd like it if they dropped

the price to $9.99 across the board. We used to be able to get some really nice

remastered sets with extras for about $30-60 (and usually about 5 or 6 movies

in it) but now we get these un-remastered titles with no extras at $20 each

(unless you get one of the group specials they have).

The bare-bone releases at high prices is what really keeps me away from the

Archives. The titles they have released to date haven't thrilled me, either.

If Warner can just get the next film noir box set out, I'll be okay.

I just hope the Sony (Columbia) titles sell. If they don't sell, I'm afraid it will get really

dark in terms of releasing first-time-on-DVD classic films.

Does Fox/MGM even exist anymore - they really dropped the ball - with all their classics, be it drama, horror, sci-fi & cult all just sitting on their shelves...lots of **** off fans..

They have plenty of sci fi and horror just sitting there - enough to raise a few eyebrows

Ive been collecting the WB Archives and I am about 12 out of 16 or 17 that I liked. Most to all of the titles I bought without even viewing them first and just went with my gut feeling and wound up liking most of them...

I am looking into Lightning Strikes Twice, Tall Target, Experiment Perilus and maybe Crossroads as future purchases...

TripleHHH, MGM is about bankrupt, apparently. I think they have a debt of about $3.5 billion. Their biggest asset is the James Bond series, but I wouldn?t be surprised if they sell that to raise some cash. But if they do, what?s left will be little. Hard to say what will happen in the coming months.

All the studios are feeling the pinch. Let?s just hope all their libraries go to WB for protection until something is done.