Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Puppet Films

CaveGirl

Now the term might be used pejoratively in "This is Spinal Tap", or used as a fab plot device in "Being John Malkovich" but in the right hands, even a puppet film can be enchanting, engrossing or frightening. 

First up, Jiri Trnka. I don't remember when I was first introduced to his work, but I think it was "The Hand" from 1965. If there is a more chilling expose of the power of a totalitarian society upon its subjects, I don't know what it is. Suffice it to say, the Hand controls all, including the rights of the Harlequin sculptor who only likes to make charming pots for his flowers, which leads to a confrontation not to be forgotten.

Trnka's films were often prohibited in regimes which like to control their subjects, due to such resounding effects, all achieved with his stop-motion puppet animation and other experiments. If you've not seen any of his work, try also the lovely "The Emperor's Nightingale" or the very spooky, "A Drop Too Much" which is a cautionary tale about drinking a wee bit more than one should. Most are also available for viewing on Youtube.

Introduce us to any films of puppetry of any kind that you admire, and it will be appreciated.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, hamradio said:

"The Dark Crystal" (1982)

The-Dark-Crystal-Featured-11222016.jpg

"Labyrinth" (1986)

3427976_f520.jpg

There is an upcoming film that's controversial, "The Happytime Murders".

Happytime-Murders.jpeg

The silly "Team America World Police" (2004) uses the supermarionettes  puppets.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDoHUJ7oC6a7L9Yz172PQ

Great stuff, Hamradio! The folks from "The Dark Crystal" look like they are related to Michael York, doncha think?

I remember hearing about the controversy on THM back when the tv clips started showing. The TAWP looks like fun!

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

Great stuff, Hamradio! The folks from "The Dark Crystal" look like they are related to Michael York, doncha think?

I remember hearing about the controversy on THM back when the tv clips started showing. The TAWP looks like fun!

I think Sesame Street will lose the lawsuit because NONE of their characters are used in the film.  Just because there's some resemblance doesn't cut it. This would be like the late Gerry Anderson suing Trey Parker and Matt Stone for using supermarionettes.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dargo said:

"HEY! I think I like this thread!"

triumph-e1425247855563.jpeg

("...for me to poop on!")

OMG, I love that canine! He's like the George Burns and Lenny Bruce of the Dog Empire.

If you and he formed a comedy duo, I'd pay big money to see it, Dargo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

Btw, that was Triumph up there talking, not me.

(I'm old enough to remember the NBC Conan O'Brien episode where they premiered Triumph, where he was meant in context of an actual joke.  That was a long time ago, and I'm pretty sure nobody else today does, least of all R. Smigel.)

And btw again CG, you're right. Those Dark Crystal puppets DO look a lot like Michael York.

Michael York and Pia Zadora, which I always found a bit odd.

Brian Froud on the disk commentary mentioned showing Dark Crystal to kids, and often heard the reaction of "Cool, what is this, it's not CGI?"  :D

I'm assuming the stop-motion of Ray Harryhausen, Lotte Reiniger and, ahem, Henry Selick's Halloween movie are disqualified, as we're talking about puppets with real-time movement.  (Also, I remember being trapped in a theater watching Lotte's shadow-puppet animation "Baron Munchhausen" movie with an audience when the winter heat went out, and...I'd rather not relive those memories, thank you.)

Oh, well--Moving right along:

The-Muppet-Movie.jpg

• Like 1

" Czech animator Jiří Trnka, known as the "Walt Disney of Eastern Europe" said about puppet films, "Puppet films are truly unlimited in their possibilities: they can express themselves with the greatest force precisely when the realistic expression of the cinematographic image often faces insurmountable obstacles." He spent most of his career animating adaptations of literature and fairy tales, but in his last film, and often considered his greatest, The Hand, he creates an overtly pessimistic allegory of the oppression of personal freedom and censorship. Banned in Czechoslovakia for two decades. "

:)

• Like 3

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings