Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Owl and the Pussycat

darkblue

So, the last time TCM ran this, it was an edited version. I erased that one, rather than keep it. I hate censorship.

I meant to set my recorder for today's showing just in case TCM ran the unedited version this time - but I forgot to do so.

Did anyone watch it? If you did, did you hear Barbra tell the punks in the car to **** off?

Only when that scene is intact does the following scene make any sense.

15 hours ago, darkblue said:

Did anyone watch it? If you did, did you hear Barbra tell the punks in the car to **** off?

I saw it, and no, the line was cut.

It's still a very funny movie. Streisand and Segal have hilarious chemistry. And Barbra, though never thought of as a sex symbol, looked very hot in this. 

56 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Huh, I tried watching it and lost interest rather quickly. And I love both Streisand & Segal. I didn't find the dialogue as clever as I had hoped.

It was based on a play and the movie is also a lot of talk without much real action, but I'm a fan of the Buck Henry screenplay. I thought he did a good job with the old trope of two characters who drive each other nuts until all of a sudden they don't.

I wonder if the disappearance of the F bomb is something Columbia engineered or if Streisand "put my hand in here" a-la Dolly Levi. TCM obviously would have been on board, because the broadcast of A Star is Born was littered with naughty words, the F word among them, some of them out of Streisand's own mouth. It seems as though the deletion in the case of The Owl and the Pussycat happened early on, before cable, when movies were shown on local stations still and Columbia may have felt it would have limited rentals to broadcasters to have the problematic word in there. It seems like a  chicken**** move, because a simple bleep could have solved the problem, without actually removing those few  seconds of footage. As db already mentioned, the overreaction of the guys in the car doesn't make sense without the full context.

15 minutes ago, alleybj said:

I’m pretty sure the F bomb was cut before the film was ever released, along with Barbra’s breasts, but you can hear it on the soundtrack album. 

I saw the movie in its initial release and it was definitely in there. Part of the humor was the congenial way she said it to the loudmouth guys harassing them, partly to demonstrate to Segal her command of language, a running theme throughout the movie. It wasn't editing; it was censorship. And you're right; the soundtrack album has lots of dialogue and the F word is there in its proper context.

2 hours ago, alleybj said:

I’m pretty sure the F bomb was cut before the film was ever released

Nope. I saw it in a neighborhood theater in west end Toronto (as opposed to the more ornate downtown first run theaters) a few months after its initial release.

It was an audience-favorite moment when she said that to those guys. Audience laughed and cheered.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings