Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Upcoming Sets

No, I never sold copies. I bought the discs off Amazon that I wanted, made backup copies for my own library, and then resold the original discs on Amazon used, which is completely legit.

But it turned out after Amazon's fees I didn't make much back. I spent much more than I ever got back.

I should have joined Netflix years ago. It would have saved me a fortune.

> {quote:title=goldensilents wrote:}{quote}

> I should have joined Netflix years ago. It would have saved me a fortune.

This is a lesson I've been fortunate enough to learn over the years... Don't get me wrong, I love silents, but it's still easier to rent-by-mail than to buy.

I picked up a copy of The John Barrymore Collection at the Kino booth at Cinevent over the Memorial Day weekend. So far, I've watched only SHERLOCK HOLMES, but that one alone is worth the price of the set. The George Eastman House did a super job on the restoration. The film is based on the play by William Gillette, which draws its story line from several of the Holmes stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, especially A Scandal in Bohemia.

John Barrymore is splendid in the title role, but Gustav von Seyffertitz is easily a match for him in the role of Professor Moriarty. So much so, that when the picture was released in England, it was retitled MORIARTY.

The DVD of the 1920 DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE is the same one that has been in the Kino catalog for almost 10 years now, and if you don't have it yet, you need it. It's the most complete version available, and it's loaded with extras -- beware the public domain discs.

As for THE BELOVED ROGUE and TEMPEST, the Kino people tell me that although these are taken from the same material as the Image Entertainment releases, they are better transfers. I've looked at only a couple of scenes in each picture, but what I've seen so far seems to bear this out. I'll have more to say when I've watched the Image and Kino releases of both pictures and do a side-by-side comparison.

OK now I am confused? I have a VHS to DVD-R copy of *CAMEO KIRBY (Fox, 1923)* Starring Gilbert and Gertrude Olmsted, and Directed by John Ford with Portuguese title-cards. These have not been translated to English. However, the film isn't complete. A couple reels are missing, or there about's.

In any event, *CAMEO KIRBY* is not on the new Flicker Alley John Gilbert DVD set with BARDELYS THE MAGNIFICENT, Rather *MONTE CRISTO (Fox, 1922)* is with Estelle Taylor, and in a supporting role Renee Adoree.

Coffeedan,

Hey, Coffeeman! Do *THE BELOVED ROGUE,* and *THE TEMPEST* both have the same scores as before??? If so, did they clean up the Bill Perry Piano score? I mean it was recorded clear back in the early 70's. The other one was I believe Philip Carli, who's reverence for Perry's style is obvious.

Yes Jeff you are right. I sent a copy of *Cameo Kirby* to Jorge because he has friends who speak Portuguese. I thought they could translate the intertitles so we could have a running script but he said the film was too dark to read so nothing happened. I would think the titles could have been edited/lightened enough to read but what do I know?

Somewhere along the line I think someone told me there is an existing print with English titles but if there is, it's locked away in a vault.

As for the Flicker Alley John Gilbert set, it's odd that there is no pre-order info on their site or Amazon....

It is a hassle, but worth it if you want to make some of your costs back when you have a family and are living on one income, with two children in college at the same time, and a wife with medical bills coming in.

But Netflix is a lot easier and cheaper for me now. During this recession my husband and I are cutting costs extremely; we're even trying to sell my fairly new van. Money is tight and I finally broke down and went the Netflix route as of a month or so ago. I don't regret it and wish I had done it sooner. I make my copies, slip them into one of those cases holding 250 discs each, put them away in my closet and whenever I want to watch something again it's just a few feet away from my TV. :)

I do wish I had a better organizational system however. I only have the cases separated by three categories: SILENTS, PRECODES, CODE FILMS. I have about 20 cases now filled with 250 discs each. So it makes it hard to lug these heavy things to the sofa, and go through them to find one particular film.

Jeff. both THE BELOVED ROGUE and TEMPEST have piano scores by William Perry, recorded in 1971 and remastered for this set. As much as I like Phil Carli's work, I have to admit that Perry outdoes him with a more evocative score for TEMPEST.

Jill,

Apparently, these aren't re-mastered, but are fresh transfers. That's OK, *WAY DOWN EAST* wasn't supposed to be re-mastered either, just a fresh transfer from the print of the Road Show edition, from the Museum Of Modern Art. In the Recent Griffith 2 Box set, that picture looked very good, and much improved over the older Image Entertainment DVD release.

The term Re-mastered is used allot these days, and can have a number of different potential meanings.So it is pretty easy to be fooled. Look at the droves of bargain DVD-R's at the discount stores of Public-Domain fair. Many say Re-mastered, and even digitally re-mastered on the case, but are they as most people envision the term? Doubtful at best!

Dan,

I am gratified that they did clean up the Bill Perry scores too. Perry work was always brilliant, and He is very Under-rated. Jorge will be really pleased, because He has been trying to synch up the Perry score to *THE TEMPEST* with the older DVD for awhile now. He's a huge fan.

By the way, did anyone catch the fact that Warner Archive has dropped the price of it's On-line titles a couple dollars per disc? They are even running the promo on TCM now.

I prefer a real re-mastering. Oh I know full well people misrepresent things they sell all the time. Like the bootleggers on eBay who sell their illegal films and claim "this film is in the public domain." HAHAHA!!!! If they are then I'm Mama Cass.

I already ordered the Gilbert set this evening. Thankfully Flicker Alley accepts Paypal. Trouble is they are shipping to my old mailing address that I haven't used for more than 6 years by mistake! Good thing I have time to set this right!

Did you notice, they are even including the Antonio Coppolla score for *BARDELYS THE MAGNIFICENT* as an Alternate track. I am pretty sure that I was the first one to mention if this could be done? It was my idea, and I posted the notion on a number of different sites!

You already ordered the Gilbert set?I'll be ordering it in the next few weeks. July 7th is the release dtae, right?

The Gilbert set has been on my mind since you told me about it!! I'm so excited for it! Hopefully he'll get a box set, also soon thereafter. I bet the set will sell big.

I ordered the Gilbert set earlier too. I was afraid if I waited until the release, something else would catch my eye. Plus I do like the packages Flicker Alley puts out. The Barrymore set is next on my list. Looks like Die Freudlose Gasse will have to wait some. I've already got the Austrian disc of it, so the German one isn't a priority. Speaking of the Barrymore set, it's now listed on the Kino site. Even with shipping it's a few bucks less than amazon.

gagman: If they can put out Bardleys with both the Coppolla and Mont Alto scores, why can't they do it with Napoleon? Besides a restored The Big Parade, I want to see the restored Napoleon.

brandoalways4ever,

I have have not heard any mention of such a set. Only a King Vidor one. There are plenty of movies for a Gilbert set, but several do not have scores yet. Four Gilbert titles that I would like to see scored would include the following features.

HIS HOUR (1924) with Aileen Pringle

MAN, WOMAN & SIN (1927) with Jeanne Eagels.

TWELVE MILES OUT (1927), with Joan Crawford, and Ernest Torrence.(Have never seen this movie.)

THE COSSACKS (1928) with Renee Adoree, Ernest Torrence, and Nils Asther. Scored this one myself from France 3 broadcast, would be very difficult to Top my own score which I spent about a month dubbing.

About the only ones that they could use are THE MERRY WIDOW, THE BIG PARADE, Maybe LA BOHEME', THE SHOW, and possibly A WOMAN OF AFFAIRS, and DESERT NIGHTS?

njpaddy,

Antonio Coppolla is no relation to Carmine, or his son Francis Ford Coppolla that I am aware of? But he is a good composer. I liked his score on France 3 for *BARDELYS THE MAGNIFICENT* last October very much.

I do have the restored *NAPOLEON* if interested? It is 5 and half hours, on two disc's, and has the Carl Davis score. I also have the 100 minute shorter Carmine Coppolla scored version. To be honest, I am used to the Coppolla score, and Davis score while very good, certainly isn't any better of a one. Though both are quite different in style and approach.

The problem is Universal claims to have the definitive version of the movie. Meantime, Kevin Brownlow's Photoplay Productions owns the copyright of the longest restoration. The fact is Brownlow restored both versions. So Universal is just being absurd and ridiculous!

By the way, I also have the Photoplay version of *WINGS* with the *Carl Davis* score on DVD-R. Never broadcast in the United States. It's a similar situation where Paramount is to cheap to shell out royalties to Carl Davis, Brownlow, and Patrick Stanbury. That is why TCM was stuck airing the much older Gaylord Carter scored restoration from the 1985 Paramount Laser-disc release. The LD copy was made from a Safety-Stock transfer dating back to the 60's! i am not kidding here! Try 1965!

Chuck Tabesh told me that they specifically requested the Photoplay Productions edition of the movie, but were not able to get it. Maybe sometime TCM be able to obtain the rights? Let's hope so! The Photoplay print is not exactly new itself. It was produced back in 1993 for the Channel Four Silents series in England. Still it is far superior to the Monochrome laser-disc., with restored tints throughout, and significantly sharper detail.

Sadly, because Paramount still owns the copyright to *WINGS,* Brownlow can't release his version himself. Although, it is around as a 35 Millimeter rental print, on the Photoplay website.