Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who are your favorite directors?

Hi Uncle Woody!

> {quote:title=UncleWoody wrote:}{quote}

> MissGoddess: Glad to be aboard. Both "Eskimo" and "Trader Horn" have been shown on TCM within the past couple of years. With luck, they will be played again. Perhaps if you 'suggest a movie', your input might achieve positive results. In addition to directing, Uncle Woody also played the part of Inspector White in "Eskimo"..

>

Oooh, I'm going to look out for him, definitely. Right now I'm in the middle of reading

about Merian C. Cooper's life and adventures filming in mysterious, wild places and

I have to tell you, I definitely feel like I was born too late sometimes.

Of Uncle Woody's films, I think "Rose Marie", "San Francisco", "The Thin Man", and "Tarzan the Ape Man", with "Rose Marie" holding a slight lead, are my favorites. I remember seeing all of these as a child (born 1929),

Sounds like we have a Jeannette MacDonald fan here, as well? You will have to "meet"

Miss "butterscotchgreer" who is also a fan. I enjoy her in her musicals with Chevalier as

well as San Francisco, Rose Marie, Maytime and Naughty Marietta.

(I have Manhattan Melodrama on right now, and it's hard to concentrate on writing

with Clark Gable's eyes burning up the screen... :D )

Don't tell Uncle Woody this, but I think my one, favorite, all-time movie (not one of his, and apparently not in TCM's vaiult) is "The Man Who Never Was". It was about a British ruse to mislead Hitler into believing Churchill had died in a plane crash near Gibraltar. From my recollection of WW-II, it never really happened, but I like the premise.

I've heard of this movie---hasn't TCM shown it recently??? Well, it may not be a W.S. Van

Dyke film, but it still sounds to me like you inherited that taste for adventure if I'm not

mistaken. ;)

Looking up some info on The Man Who Never Was, I see it stars Clifton Webb

and Gloria Grahame (you've just perked up the curiosity of several other forum members

who are HUGE GG fans). I hope TCM shows this one soon.

OK, according to the caption your Uncle is in this picture but I'm not

sure which one he is (ha! I know Jimmy and Nelson!):

2.jpg

MissGoddess, As I said, I never met him, and I have never seen any photos, but from what I remember from "Eskimo", I would say he is he one in the upper left, that's our upper left, of your photo, the rugged-looking, husky guy, not the balding one.

As to "The Man Who Never Was", I think you might have it confused with "The Man Who Knew Too Much" I have been watching the TCM schedule, and I don't think I would have missed it. I do stand corrected though, it is in the TCM catalog, but it is not presently scheduled for showing. I'll be kicking myself for the next month if it has been shown and I missed it, but I'll keep looking.

Message was edited by: UncleWoody

> {quote:title=UncleWoody wrote:}{quote}

> MissGoddess, As I said, I never met him, and I have never seen any photos, but from what I remember from "Eskimo", I would say he is he one in the upper left, that's our upper left, of your photo, the rugged-looking, husky guy, not the balding one.

Ok, thank you---I kind of suspected he was the one.

> As to "The Man Who Never Was", I think you might have it confused with "The Man Who Knew Too Much" I have been watching the TCM schedule, and I don't think I would have missed it. I do stand corrected though, it is in the TCM catalog, but it is not presently scheduled for showing. I'll be kicking myself for the next month if it has been shown and I missed it, but I'll keep looking.

>

> Message was edited by: UncleWoody

I'll keep looking, too and will try to post if I see it listed so you don't miss it either. :)

Here's a publicity still for the movie, it has a curiously modern look in

the way the stars, Gloria Grahame and William Russell, are posed:

manwhoneverwas.jpg

Re: "The Man Who Never Was." Directed by Ronald Neame. I have a book that tells it was based on a true incident called "Operation Mincemeat." I've seen it and it is a pretty good picture. Interesting idea and very clever plan.

Alfred Hitchcock

Akira Kurosawa

Howard Hawks

Stanley Kubrick

Martin Scorsese

John Ford

Frank Capra

Michael Curtiz

Ishiro Honda

Orson Welles

John Huston

Elia Kazaan

Victor Fleming

Tod Browning

Tim Burton

Francis Ford Coppola

Henry Hathaway

James Whale

...that's all I can think of at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Alfred Hitchcock, George Cukor, Martin Scorsese, Stanley Kubrick, Cecil B. DeMille, John Huston, Michael Curtiz, Stanley Donen, John Ford, Robert Aldrich, and Gene Saks. There's probably a whole lot more but at the moment that's it....

Alfred Hitchcock

Billy Wilder

John Ford

Elia Kazan

Frank Capra

Steven Spielberg

Stanley Kubrick

Martin Scorsese

Woody Allen

Spike Lee

Orson Welles

Francis Ford Coppola