Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE #13: THE VOTING THREAD

Chipsey darling,

There are emoticons in couple of the Challengers notes on page two. I could access the first page with no problem but the second page where you started listing the schedules and notes won't load at all.

I think the emoticons are gumming up the works, though I am at a loss to explain why when they work in other threads.

Anyways, is it possible that you can remove them from the notes and we can see if the all the pages load correctly?

Although earlier I had no trouble accessing the page I am now unable to do so as well.

I have been having difficulty accessing the boards in late afternoon every day since I returned from Europe, so I'm not sure what to do. I'll keep trying over the next couple of hours and if I am still unsuccessful I will repost all the schedules and notes, clearing the notes of all emoticons.

Either way, by 5:30 PM ET I will either have cleared the emoticons (if I am able to get in) or begun to repost.

Sorry for the delay, all!

Chipsey,

The good news: I can open both pages using IE.

The bad news: That's not my usual browser. I prefer to use Firefox and it won't open the page with all the schedule.

More bad news: Most posters don't use IE.

Here's hoping that cleaning out the Emoticons puts things right!

I've had no trouble with this thread or the boards since blocking Flash after logon. Feels like 2005 again, but with far fewer posters.

Oh yeah, good luck, everyone!

Message was edited by: patful, forgetful as always

*I can get in now. Must have been the emoticons.*

Chipsey,

It might be worth going back into your original post in the original Challenge thread and adding a line or two asking posters not to post emoticons in their schedules or notes.

I say this because the winner of this Challenge will be the next moderator and will likely cut and paste the basic rules from this Challenge into the next one.

Three months from now I don't know how many of us will remember to say something about the emoticons.

Just a thought.

And indeed, I overlooked Fredmill38's programming notes. The lovely authoress Donna was kind enough to let me know, and here they are...and my apologies all around for my goof.

_______

Fredmill38's Programming Notes:

Hello everyone! I'm sorry for not being around here for the past few days and being able to post my schedule until the eleventh hour. I've been busy with work, spending time with family and other things. From what I've read so far, the schedules that have been posted are great.

Anyways, in regards to my schedule, here is some background about it. Each of the themes for the days either relate to song titles, something that is common within the theme of each of the films or pertains to something that the actors had in common with one another.

For the TCM Spotlight: Lucky 13, since some of the ideas that I was thinking about were already done, I decided to do several films in which the actors themselves had 13 letters to their names minus the spacing. I know this seems kind of corny, but this was the only idea I could think of. Some of the folks we have that fit the category are William Powell, Carole Lombard, Audrey Hepburn, Ingrid Bergman and Melvyn Douglas.

For the TCM Spotlight: Location! Location!, I chose the state of Florida as the focus, since there are some great films that take place in many of the well known cities down there. I also chose Florida partially because my brother goes to school down there and as a race fan, Daytona Beach is the mecca for anyone who follows the sport of NASCAR.

In regards to the Star of the Month, I chose Lloyd Nolan as the Star of the Month for March. I had purchased the Michael Shayne DVD box set Volume 1 about a few months ago and really enjoyed them. I have watched several of his films that he was in and I am appreciating more of his work that I have seen recently.

On Tuesday during the day, I have a block of films devoted to some famous actors and individuals behind the camera who are actually siblings. While some of us are familiar with the fact that Joan Fontaine and Olivia deHaviland are related, I wanted to take a look at some other folks who people did not expect to be related but are.

I also have a day set aside devoted to some famous actresses named Shirley from Jones, to Temple to MacLaine and to Eaton as well.

Some other themes that I included films which have films that deal with the rise of individuals in the public eye, people seeking revenge for those who have wronged them and individuals who look out and do what is in the best interest of their kids.

The Essential for the week is the film "Abe Lincoln in Illinois (1940)" and the night is built around Raymond Massey as well.

The TCM Silent Sunday night movie is "Leaves from Satan's Book (1919)" with Helge Nissen and Jacob Texiere and the TCM Import is the film, "Faust (1963)".

The TCM Underground films are "The She-Creature (1956)" with Chester Morris and "The She-Beast (1966)" with Barbara Steele.

The TCM Premieres include "Madison Avenue (1962)" with Dana Andrews and Jeanne Crain, "Alias Nick Beal (1949)" with Ray Milland and Audrey Totter, "Michael Shayne, Private Detective (1941)" with Lloyd Nolan and Marjorie Weaver, "Sleepers West (1941)" with Lloyd Nolan and Lynn Bari, "Moon Over Miami (1941)" with Betty Grable, Don Ameche and Robert Cummings, and "Man on a Tightrope (1953)" with Fredric March, Terry Moore and Gloria Grahame.

I hope that the schedule I have created is okay. I enjoyed doing each of the schedules that I have participated in and I figured that it would be great to do this again.

I may not win this challenge, but I've got my wish.

In the July schedule...there are several MARGARET LINDSAY films coming on:

7/1/2009

11:00 AM

Case of the Curious Bride, The (1935) Perry Mason helps a young woman whose supposedly dead husband suddenly returns to life. Cast: Warren William, Margaret Lindsay, Errol Flynn. Dir: Michael Curtiz. BW-80 mins, TV-G, CC

9:45 PM

Fog Over Frisco (1934) A San Francisco heiress discovers her sister is hanging out with gangsters. Cast: Bette Davis, Donald Woods, Margaret Lindsay. Dir: William Dieterle. BW-68 mins, TV-G, CC

11:00 PM

G-Men (1935) A mob protege joins the FBI when a friend is gunned down. Cast: James Cagney, Ann Dvorak, Margaret Lindsay. Dir: William Keighley. BW-86 mins, TV-PG, CC

6:00 AM

Adventures of Rusty (1945) A lonely boy tries to rehabilitate a police dog trained by the Nazis. Cast: Ted Donaldson, Margaret Lindsay, Conrad Nagel. Dir: Paul Burnford. BW-67 mins, TV-G

7/12/2009

7:30 AM

Baby Face (1933) A beautiful schemer sleeps her way to the top of a banking empire. Cast: Barbara Stanwyck, George Brent, John Wayne. Dir: Alfred E. Green. BW-76 mins, TV-PG, CC

7/26/2009

6:00 PM

Please Don't Eat The Daisies (1960) A drama critic and his family try to adjust to life in the country. Cast: Doris Day, David Niven, Janis Paige. Dir: Charles Walters. C-111 mins, TV-G, CC, Letterbox Format, DVS

I have received a PM vote for ILoveRayMilland's schedule.

So, right now we are at:

CineMaven 1

Fedya 1

ILoveRayMilland 1

(in alphabetical order)

I've also received several PMs telling me how difficult it is to choose among so many good entries. It's anybody's game, right up to the wire, so get your votes in!

Same thing happened to me last night, and just now. But both times I got to page three by first opening page two in a separate window, then page three in a separate window. It's happened to me in every single Challenge. Must be all the formatting.

Hi all...

Due to TCM.com's new rules allowing you to edit your previous posts only for 24 hours, I am unable to change the posts now.

I'm not having trouble accessing the pages this morning on any of the browsers. Is the trouble still preventing any of you from getting to them, or was this just one of those temporary wonky TCM moments that seem to happen more and more often?

If necessary, I will repost all of the schedules and notes without formatting (meaning no boldface type, no italics, etc.) and without those dire emoticons. Let me know if you still can't access and I will repost in that manner.

Archived