Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE #13: THE VOTING THREAD

Fedya's Programming Notes REPOST

NOTES ON A SCHEDULE

This schedule, in conjunction with my previous one, will answer the eternally vexing question: Is chocolate better than sex? Easter falls on Sunday, April 4, 2010, so the schedule starts the Sunday before Easter and runs through the day before Easter (as the contest called for a Sunday-Saturday week).

We start off with the movie The Chocolate Soldier, followed by a slightly less candy-related theme. Since one of our themes had to be related to the number 13, the closest think I could think of that still fit an Easter sweets-related schedule was baked goods. The "baker's dozen" came into being because of laws fining people selling a dozen items that were less than a dozen -- the legend goes that bakers responded by putting 13 items in when they sold a dozen, so as to make certain they had a dozen. So, we have an entire day of movies about bakers of one sort or another. Charlie Chaplin has to pose as a baker in our first short; one of the Nazis in 49th Parallel was a baker before being drafted; there are several people named Baker, and even* the Baker Street Irregulars. (As for Hud, there's a scene with Patricia Neal talking about baking a pie. The day includes an Italian version of Cyrano de Bergerac (one of the characters runs a bakery), and two foreign films.

Monday morning brings Junior Mints, starting off with a bunch of people named Junior. (WS Van Dyke II of course also qualifies as a Junior.) It's followed by minting. If the federal government mints money, it's called fiscal policy. If you or I do it, it's counterfeiting and a crime. We have four movies in which counterfeit money plays an important role.

Monday night, and into Tuesday morning, is the Clark Bar, with people named Clark. This leads to some movies set on the moors with the Heath Bar, and an afternoon of movies about life savers. Betty Hutton saves Barry Fitzgerald in The Stork Club; Spencer Tracy saves bratty Freddy Bartholomew in Captains Courageous, and James Stewart pulls Kim Novak out of San Francisco Bay in Vertigo. Of course, you can't have life savers without a Mae West, so she shows up too.

Belgium makes fine chocolates, so on Tuesday night we satisfy the "series of movies with a common setting" requirement with a night of movies set in Belgium (and one movie with a prominently Belgian character). Vincent Van Gogh spent time in Belgium as a priest, and the short is on Belgian-born Joseph Deveuster, who became Father Damien.

Gobstoppers are a type of candy, but a gob is also a slang word for a sailor. So what can stop a sailor? We've got a giant octopus, a reef, Polynesian beauties, Nazi torpedoes, and a Nazi iceberg stopping all sorts of sailors.

I was going to do a day of movies on M&Ms, until one of the other entrants did a theme of women with the initials M.M. There went my day of Muir Mathieson movies. So, I turned the M&Ms around 180 degrees, and got W&Ws! Here you'll find one of my premieres, Wilson, about US President Woodrow Wilson. Yes, I know Walter Winchell isn't actually in Sweet Smell of Success, but he was the template for the character.

I didn't want to do a full 14 hours of movies with "Kiss" in the title, but I was stuck with two mornings/afternoons to program, and only three candies left, so one of them had to get the 14 hours. (Well, I could have used Sugar Babies if somebody hadn't taken the golddigers theme.)

Baby Ruth is a candy bar, which makes it an obvious choice for using somebody named Ruth as Star of the Month. And so, we get Ruth Hussey as Star of the Month.

Friday morning brings Milk Duds. Joan Fontaine plays a maid who falls in love with a milkman (who's actually the son of the dairy owner); Judy Garland and Robert Walker do James Gleason's milkman route; a maid claims a milk bath would be just the thing for a sick girl; and Harold Lloyd plays a milkman.

All-Day Suckers, of course, doesn't last all day, largely because I couldn't find enough different ideas and didn't want to do 14 hours of vampire movies. So, we get a sucker, a vampire, leeches, a tornado sucking a house off its foundation, vacuum cleaner salesman Joe McDoakes, and a man getting sucked out of an airplane.

Benny Goodman referred to his clarinet as his "licorice stick", so we get a night of two clarinetists, Goodman and Artie Shaw.

This leads us into TCM Underground. Since it's Easter week, I figured two religious-themed movies would be appropriate. The Passover Plot purports to tell an alternate history of how Christianity came into being. As for Reggie's Prayer, it proves the adage that while everybody can make a movie, not everybody should. This was produced by, and stars, famous football player Reggie White, who used a bunch of his NFL colleagues in the movie.

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't. We start off Saturday with Almond Joy, and some "nutty" movies: Cocoanuts, a nuthouse, a short on George Washington Carver, and Spencer Tracy's love of peanuts being a major piece of circumstantial evidence. If Almond Joy's got nuts, Mounds don't, so we've got three regular "hill" movies, and one about intrigue on Capitol Hill.

On the night before Easter, we have bunnies and rabbits, starting off with the TCM Essential, Bunny Lake is Missing. Our next movie may or may not have a rabbit in it; Fred MacMurray is doing research on rabbits; Mickey Rooney's rabbit becomes dinner; Ernest Borgnine sets a rabbit trap; and greyhounds chase a "rabbit".

Message was edited by: ChipHeartsMovies

Norma_Desmond's Schedule REPOST

SCHEDULE: JULY 1-7, 2010

1 THURSDAY

SOAP OPERAS

6:00am : The Love of Sunya (1927, Gloria Swanson Pictures) ? Gloria Swanson

7:15am : Torrent (1926, Cosmopolitan Productions) ? Greta Garbo, Ricardo Cortez

8:45am : One Night of Love (1934, Columbia) ? Grace Moore, Lyle Talbot

10:15am : Svengali (1931, WB) ? John Barrymore, Marian Marsh

STOLEN GOODS

11:45am: Arsene Lupin (1932, MGM) ? John Barrymore, Karen Morley

1:15pm: Trouble in Paradise (1932, Paramount p/s) ? Kay Francis, Herbert Marshall

2:45pm: Jewel Robbery (1932, WB) ? Kay Francis, William Powell

4:00pm: To Catch a Thief (1955, Paramount) ? Cary Grant, Grace Kelly

5:45pm : The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938, WB) ? Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland

7:30pm: Crime Does Not Pay Series No. 4: A Thrill for Thelma (1935, MGM) - SHORT

EVENING THEME: THE FIRST PG-13 FILMS

8:00pm: The Flamingo Kid (1984, ABC) ? Matt Dillon, Richard Crenna - PREMIERE

9:45 pm: Red Dawn (1984, U/A) ? Patrick Swayze, Charlie Sheen - PREMIERE

11:45pm: Dreamscape (1984, 20th Century Fox) ? Dennis Quaid, Max von Sydow - PREMIERE

1:30am: Gremlins (1984, Warner Bros) ? Hoyt Axton - PREMIERE

3:15am: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984, Paramount) ? Harrison Ford - PREMIERE

5:15am: Spielberg on Spielberg (2007, TCM Original Programming) 90min

2 FRIDAY

ARCHITECTS

6:00am: Mr. Blanding?s Builds His Dream House (1948, RKO) ? Cary Grant, Myrna Loy

7:45am: The Fountainhead (1949, Warner Bros.) ? Gary Cooper, Patricia Neal

9:45am: Peter Ibbetson (1935, Paramount) ? Gary Cooper, Ann Harding

11:15am: Strangers When We Meet (1960, Columbia Pictures) ? Kirk Douglas, Kim Novak

THE HILLS

1:15pm: Home From the Hill (1960, MGM) ? Robert Mitchum, Eleanor Parker

3:45pm: House on the Haunted Hill (1959, William Castle Productions) ? Vincent Price

5:00pm: The Lavender Hill Mob (1951, Ealing Studios) ? Alec Guiness

6:30pm: Pork Chop Hill (1959/U/A) ? Gregory Peck

EVENING THEME: NAPOLEAN DYNAMITE

8:00pm: Conquest (1937, MGM) ? Garbo, Charles Boyer

10:00pm: Hearts Divided (1936, Cosmopolitan Productions) ? Marion Davis, Claude Rains

11:30pm: Desiree (1954, 20th Century Fox p/s) ? Marlon Brando, Jean Simmons

1:30am: All Eyes on Sharon Tate (1967, MGM) - SHORT

TCM UNDERGROUND ? ?DOLLS? DOUBLE-FEATURE

2:00am: Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (1970, 20th Century Fox) ? Dolly Read, Cynthia Myers

3:45am: Valley of the Dolls (1967, Red Lion) ? Patty Duke, Susan Hayward

3 SATURDAY

GEORGE SANDER?S BIRTHDAY TRIBUTE

6:00am: Her Cardboard Lover (1932, MGM) ? Norma Shearer, Robert Taylor

7:45am: The Lodger (1944, 20th Century Fox p/s) ? Merle Oberon

9:15am: Lured (1947, U/A p/s) ? Lucille Ball, Charles Coburn

11:00am: Witness To Murder (1954, U/A) ? Barbara Stanwyck, Gary Merrill

12:30pm: The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945, MGM) ? Hurd Hatfeild, Angela Lansbury

2:30pm: The Private Affairs of Bel-Ami (1947, U/A) ? Angela Lansbury, Ann Dvorak ? PREMIERE

4:30pm: A Scandal in Paris (1946, U/A p/s) ? Carol Landis

6:15pm: This Land is Mine (1943, RKO) ? Charles Laughton, Maureen O?Hara

EVENING THEME: THE ESSENTIALS - THE WIND

8:00pm: The Wind (1928, MGM) ? Lillian Gish, Lars Hanson

EVENING THEME: WINDY CONDITIONS

9:30pm: Gone With the Wind (1939, Selznick International Pictures) ? Vivien Leigh, Clark Gable

1:30am: Written on the Wind (1956, Universal) ? Rock Hudson, Lauren Bacall

3:15am: Wild is the Wind (1957, Paramount) ? Anna Magnani, Anthony Quinn

5:00am: Private Screening ? Anthony Quinn (1999, TCM Original Program)

4 SUNDAY

FOURTH OF JULY

6:00am: America (1924, D.W Griffith Productions) ? Neil Hamilton, Lionel Barrymore

8:30am: Janice Meredith (1924, Cosmopolitan Productions) ? Marion Davies

11:00am: The Flag: A Story Inspired by the Tradition of Betsy Ross ( 1927, MGM) - SHORT

11:30am: Alexander Hamilton (1931, WB) ? George Arliss, Doris Kenyon

12:45pm: Drums Along the Mohawk (1939, 20th century Fox) ? Henry Fonda, Claudette Colbert

2:30pm: John Paul Jones (1959, WB) ? Robert Stack, Bette Davis ? PREMIERE???

4:45pm: Sons of Liberty (1939, WB) ? Errol Flynn ? SHORT

5:15pm: Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942, WB) ? James Cagney, Joan Leslie

7:30: The Declaration of Independence (1938, WB) ? SHORT

EVENING THEME: DIRECTED BY HOWARD HUGHES

8:00pm: Hell?s Angels (1930, U/A) ? Ben Lyon, Jean Harlow

10:00pm: The Outlaw (1943, U/A) ? Jane Russell, Walter Huston

SILENT SUNDAY NIGHT ? FOOLISH WIVES

12:15am: Foolish Wives (1922, Universal) ? Erich von Stroheim, Mae Busch

IMPORT ? ORPHEUS DESCENDING

2:15am: Orfeu Negro (1959, Dispat Film) ? Marpessa Dawn, Breno Mello

4:00am: Orphee (1950, Andre Paulve Film) - Jean Marais, Marie Dea

5 MONDAY

STARRING VERA ZORINA

6:00am: Lover Come Back (1946, Universal) ? Lucille Ball, George Brent

7:30am: The Goldwyn Follies (1938, Sam Goldwyn Co.) ? Adolphe Menjou, Vera Zorina

9:30am: On Your Toes (1939, Warner Bros.) ? Zorina, Eddie Albert - PREMIERE

IF THE SHOE FITS

11:15am: The Glass Slipper (1955, MGM) ? Leslie Caron, Michael Wilding

12:45pm: The Red Shoes (1948, The Archers) ? Moira Shearer, Anton Walbrook

3:00pm: Hobson?s Choice (1954, London Film Production) ? Charles Laughton, John Mills

4:45pm: The Devil and Miss Jones (1941, RKO) ? Jean Arthur, Charles Coburn

6:15pm: Feet First (1930, The Harold Lloyd Corporation) ? Harold Lloyd, Barbara Kent

EVENING THEME: STAR OF THE MONTH ? LAURENCE OLIVIER ? A FOCUS ON HIS SHAKESPEAREAN WORKS

8:00pm: Hamlet (1948, Two Cities Film) ? Laurence Oliver, Basil Sydney

10:45pm: Richard III (1955, London Film) ? Laurence Oliver, John Gielgud

1:30am: Othello (1965, BHE Film) ? Laurence Olivier, Maggie Smith

4:15am: As You Like It (1936, Inter-Allied) ? Laurence Olivier, Elizabeth Bergner

6 TUESDAY

JANET LEIGH BIRTHDAY TRIBUTE

6:00am: Act of Violence (1948, MGM) ? Van Heflin, Robert Ryan

7:30am: Touch of Evil (1958, UI) ? Charlton Heston, Orson Welles

9:30am: Rogue Cop (1954, MGM) ? Robert Taylor, George Raft

11:15pm: The Manchurian Candidate (1962, U/A) ? Frank Sinatra, Angela Lansbury

1:30pm: Harper (1966, Warner Bros.) ? Paul Newman, Lauren Bacall ? PREMIERE?? (This is sad!)

ANOTHER LEIGH

3:45pm: A Streetcar Named Desire (1951, WB) ? Vivien Leigh, Marlon Brando

6:00pm: Waterloo Bridge (1940, MGM) ? Vivien Leigh, Robert Taylor

EVENING THEME: SCANDALOUS!

8:00pm: A Royal Scandal (1945, 20th Century Fox p/s) ? Tallulah Bankhead, Charles Coburn

9:45pm: A Breath of Scandal (1960, Paramount p/s) ? Sophia Loren, Maurice Chevalier

11:30pm: Fools For Scandal (1938, First National Pictures) ? Carol Lombard, Ralph Bellamy

1:00am: Scandal Sheet (1952, Motion Picture Investors) ? Broderick Crawford, Donna Reed

2:30am: The Lady of Scandal (1930, MGM) ? Ruth Chatterton, Basil Rathbone

4:00am: Design For Scandal (1941, MGM) ? Rosalind Russell, Walter Pidgeon

7 WEDNESDAY

OUT OF AFRICA

6:00am: Trader Horn (1931, MGM) ? Harry Carey, Edwina Booth

8:15am: West of Zanzibar (1928, MGM) ? Lon Chaney, Lionel Barrymore

9:30am: Road To Zanzibar (1941, Paramount) ? Bing Crosby, Bob Hope

11:15am: So This is Africa (1933, Columbia) ? Wheeler and Woolsey

12:15pm: King Solomon?s Mines (1937, GFD p/s) ? Cedric Hardwicke, Anna Lee

1:45pm: The Garden of Allah (1936, Selznick International Pictures) ? Marlene Dietrich, Charles Boyer

ITALIAN JOURNEY

3:15pm: Beat the Devil (1953, U/A) ? Humphrey Bogart, Gina Lollobrigida

4:45pm: Enchanted April (1935, RKO) ? Ann Harding, Katherine Alexander

6:00pm: The Love Light (1921, U/A) ? Mary Pickford

7:30pm: What the Daisy Said (1910, Biograph Company) ? Mary Pickford

EVENING THEME: LOCATION! LOCATION! ? INDIA

8:00pm: The River (1951, U/A) ? Patricia Walters, Thomas E. Breen

9:45pm: Black Narcissus (1947, The Archers) ? Deborah Kerr, Jean Simmons

11:30pm: The Drum (1938, Alexander Korda Films) ? Sabu, Roger Livesey

1:15am: Prem Sanyas (1925, Great Eastern Film Corp.) ? Seeta Devi, Himansu Rai

3:00am: Gunga Din (1939, RKO) ? Cary Grant, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr.

5:00am: The Young Rajah (1922, Paramount) ? Valentino

Norma_Desmond Programming Notes

My week is for July 1-7, 2010

?13? as Theme: First PG-13 films

July first was the date the MPAA started marking qualifying movies with a ?PG-13? rating, so for the evening theme I scheduled a showing of the first three films to be labeled as such, followed by the two films that pushed the ratings board to establish the logo. The bulk of my premieres were drained on this night, a testament o their classic status

Star of the Month: Larry Olivier

I was disappointed with this years? birthday tribute (it should have lasted a week, with my favorites on a loop) so I decided to make him my SOTM, going against my original choice of George Sanders who I instead gave the b-day tribute to (July 3).

TCM Underground: Dolls Double Feature

Valley of Dolls and Beyond the Valley of the Dolls: two films unrelated save for their titles and delightful fun

Essential: The Wind

Lillian Gish. Victor Sjostrom. Enough said

Silent Sunday: Foolish Wives

The Erich von Stroheim classic, which I believe is a premiere

Import: Orpheus Descending

Two films interpreting the Orpheus/Eurydice myth, the first by Marcel Camus, the second by Cocteau.

LOCATION! LOCATION! - India

I went for a country instead of a city to work in a few more of my favorites

Also, as always with my schedules I?m sure to include A Streetcar Named Desire, the Red Shoes, Hamlet and few other titles that anyone following these challenges knows I?m fond of programming.

Oh and my ?Stolen Goods? theme closely mirrors nicoley13?s ?thievery amongst the rich? night, an unintended coincidence.

CineMaven Schedule REPOST

NOVEMBER 15 - NOVEMBER 21, 2009

SUNDAY - NOV. 15, 2009

AH - AH - MENJOU!! GESUNDHEIT!!

6:00 AM THE FRONT PAGE (1931) Adolphe Menjou, Pat O?Brien. Dir: Lewis Milestone. UNITED ARTISTS. B & W 101 Mins.

7:45 AM A M FAREWELL TO ARMS (1932) Gary Cooper, Helen Hayes, Adolphe Menjou. Dir: Frank Borzage. PARAMOUNT. B & W 80 mins.

9:00 AM THE CIRCUS QUEEN MURDER (1933) Adolphe Menjou, Ruthelma Stevens, Greta Nissen, Dwight Frye. Donald Cook. Dir: Roy William Neill. COLUMBIA PICTURES. B & W 63 mins.

10:15 AM STAGE DOOR (1937) Katharine Hepburn, Ginger Rogers, Adolphe Menjou, Andrea Leeds, Gail Patrick, Eve Arden, Lucille Ball, Ann Miller. Dir: Gregory La Cava. RKO RADIO PICTURES. B & W 92 mins.

12:00 PM YOU WERE NEVER LOVELIER (1942) Fred Astaire, Rita Hayworth, Adolphe Menjou, Isobel Elsom. Dir: William A. Seiter. COLUMBIA PICTURES.

B & W 97 mins.

1:45 PM THE HUCKSTERS (1947) Clark Gable, Deborah Kerr, Adolphe Menjou, Ava Gardner, Keenan Wynn. Dir: Jack Conway. M-G-M. B & W 115 mins.

3:45 PM STATE OF THE UNION (1948) Spencer Tracy, Katharine Hepburn, Van Johnson, Angela Lansbury, Adolphe Menjou. Dir: Frank Capra. M-G-M. B & W 124 mins.

5:45 PM PATHS OF GLORY (1957) Kirk Douglas, Adolphe Menjou, George Macready, Ralph Meeker. Dir: Stanley Kubrick. UNITED ARTISTS. B & W 87 mins.

LOCATION! LOCATION! LOCATION!

ARRIVEDERCI, ITALIA!

7:15 PM ROMAN HOLIDAY* (1953) Gregory Peck, Audrey Hepburn. Dir: William Wyler. PARAMOUNT. B & W 118 mins.

9:30 PM SUMMERTIME (1955) Katharine Hepburn, Rossano Brazzi Dir. David Lean. UNITED ARTISTS. COLOR. 100 mins.

11:15 PM IT STARTED IN NAPLES (1960) Clark Gable, Sophia Loren. Dir: Melville Shavelson. PARAMOUNT. COLOR. 100 mins. (Mama Mia!) ;-)

1:00 AM THE BICYCLE THIEF (1948) Lamberto Maggiorani, Enzo Staiola. Dir: Vittorio DeSica. 93 mins.

SILENT SUNDAY

2:45 AM THE SHEIK (1921) Rudolph Valentino, Agnes Ayres. Dir: George Melford. B & W 80 mins.

TCM IMPORTS

4:15 AM QUAI DES ORFEVRES (1947) Suzy Delair, Bernard Blier, Louis Jouvet, Simone Renant. Coronis. Dir: Henri-Georges Clouzot. B & W - 106 mins.

http://www.villagevoice.com/2002-10-22/film/photo-jenny/1

A must-see

MONDAY - NOV. 16, 2009

WHEN IT'S RAINES, IT SHINES!

6:00 AM CRY HAVOC (1943) Margaret Sullavan, Ann Sothern, Gloria Blondell, Fay Bainter, Marsha Hunt, Frances Gifford, Ella Raines. Dir: Richard Thorpe. M-G-M. B & W 97 mins.

7:45 AM ENTER ARSENE LUPIN (1944) Charles Korvin, Ella Raines, J. Carrol Naish, Gale Sondergaard. Dir: Ford Beebe. B & W 72 mins

9:00 AM HAIL THE CONQUERING HERO (1944) Eddie Bracken, Ella Raines, William Demarest. Dir: Preston Sturges. PARAMOUNT. 101 mins.

10:45 AM THE STRANGE AFFAIR OF UNCLE HARRY (1945) George Sanders, Geraldine Fitzgerald, Ella Raines. Dir: Robert Siodmak. UNIVERSAL PICTURES. B & W 80 mins.

12:00 PM IMPACT (1949) Brian Donlevy, Ella Raines, Helen Walker, Charles Coburn, Anna May Wong. Dir: Arthur Lubin. UNITED ARTISTS. B & W 111 mins.

2:00 PM TALL IN THE SADDLE (1944) John Wayne, Ella Raines, Ward Bond, Gabby Hayes. Dir: Edwin L. Marin. RKO RADIO PICTURES. B & W 87 mins.

3:30 PM THE WEB (1947) Edmond O?Brien, Ella Raines, William Bendix, Vincent Price. Dir: Michael Gordon. UNIVERSAL PICTURES. B & W 87 mins.

5:00 PM PHANTOM LADY* (1944) Franchot Tone, Ella Raines, Alan Curtis, Thomas Gomez, Elisha Cook Jr. Dir: Robert Siodmak. UNIVERSAL. B & W 87 mins.

6:30 PM PITFALL (1948) Dick Powell, Lizabeth Scott, Jane Wyatt, Raymond Burr. Dir: Andre DeToth. UNITED ARTISTS. B & W 86 mins.

AND A TRISKAIDEKAPHOBIA TO YOU, TOO!

8:00 PM (MARYLAND): MARYLAND (1940), Walter Brennan, Fay Bainter. Brenda Joyce, John Payne. Dir: Henry King 20th CENTURY FOX. COLOR 92 mins.

9:45 PM (PENNSYLVANIA): PITTSBURGH (1942) John Wayne, Marlene Dietrich, Randolph Scott. Dir: Lewis Seiler. UNIVERSAL. B & W 91 mins.

11:30 PM (CONNECTICUT): CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT (1945), Barbara Stanwyck, Dennis Morgan. Dir: Peter Godfrey. WARNER BROS. B & W 102 mins.

1:15 AM (PENNSYLVANIA): THE PHILADELPHIA STORY (1940), Katharine Hepburn, Cary Grant, James Stewart. Dir: George Cukor. M-G-M. B & W 112 mins.

3:15 AM (VIRGINIA): THE HOWARDS OF VIRGINIA (1940), Cary Grant, Martha Scott. Dir: Frank Lloyd. COLUMBIA. B & W 116 mins.

5:15 AM PRIVATE SCREENINGS - JANE POWELL Jane Powell takes us through her life in the movies.

TUESDAY - NOV. 17, 2009

DON?T TAKE HIM FOR GRANTED

6:00 AM SUSPICION (1941) Cary Grant, Joan Fontaine. Dir: Alfred Hitchcock. RKO Radio Pictures. B & W 99 mins.

7:45 AM IN NAME ONLY (1939) Cary Grant, Carole Lombard, Kay Francis. Dir: John Cromwell. RKO Radio Pictures. B & W 94 mins.

9:30 AM HOLIDAY (1938) Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn. Dir: George Cukor. COLUMBIA PICTURES. B & W 95 mins.

11:00 AM MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE (1948) Cary Grant, Myrna Loy. Dir: H.C. Potter. B & W 94 mins.

12:45 PM THE AWFUL TRUTH (1937) Cary Grant, Irene Dunne. Dir: Leo McCarey. COLUMBIA PICTURES. B & W 91 mins.

2:15 PM HIS GIRL FRIDAY (1940) Cary Grant, Rosalind Russell. Dir: Howard Hawks. COLUMBIA PICTURES. B & W 92 mins.

4:00 PM BRINGING UP BABY (1938) Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn. Dir: Howard Hawks. RKO RADIO PICTURES. B & W 102 mins.

5:45 PM ORIGINAL PRODUCTION : Michael Caine talks about CARY GRANT.

DEE-LIGHTFUL, DEE-LOVELY - FRANCES DEE

6:00 PM LITTLE WOMEN (1933) Katharine Hepburn, Frances Dee, Jean Parker, Joan Bennett. Dir: George Cukor. RKO RADIO PICTURES. B & W 115 mins.

8:00 PM AN AMERICAN TRAGEDY (1931) Phillip Holmes, Frances Dee, Sylvia Sidney. Dir: Joseph Von Sternberg. PARAMOUNT. B & W 96 mins

9:45 PM BLOOD MONEY (1931) George Bancroft, Judith Anderson, Frances Dee. Dir: Rowland Brown. 20th CENTURY FOX. B & W 65 mins.

11:00 PM SO ENDS OUR NIGHT (1941) Fredric March, Margaret Sullavan, Frances Dee, Glenn Ford. Dir: John Cromwell. UNITED ARTISTS. B & W 117 mins.

1:00 AM MEET THE STEWARTS (1942) William Holden, Frances Dee, Anne Revere. Dir: Alfred Green. COLUMBIA. B & W 73 mins.

2:15 AM I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE (1943) Frances Dee, James Ellison, Tom Conway, Theresa Harris. Dir: Jacques Tourneur. RKO RADIO PICTURES. B & W 69 mins.

3:30 AM HAPPY LAND (1943) Don Ameche, Frances Dee, Richard Crane, Harry Carey. Dir: Irving Pichel. 20th CENTURY FOX. B & W 73 mins.

4:45 AM BECAUSE OF YOU (1952) Loretta Young, Jeff Chandler, Frances Dee, Alex Nicol. Dir: Joseph Pevney. UNIVERSAL PICTURES. B & W 95 mins.

WEDNESDAY - NOV. 18, 2009

WHAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN

PHILLIPS HOLMES (1907-1942)

6:15 AM AN AMERICAN TRAGEDY (1931) Phillips Holmes, Sylvia Sidney, Fraces Dee. Dir: Joseph Von Sternberg. PARAMOUNT. B & W 96 mins.

SUSAN PETERS (1921 - 1952)

8:00 AM RANDOM HARVEST (1942) Ronald Colman, Greer Garson, Susan Peters. Dir: Mervyn LeRoy. M-G-M. B & W 125 mins.

JAMES STEPHENSON (1889-1941)

10:00 AM THE LETTER (1940) Bette Davis, Herbert Marshall, James Stephenson. Dir: William Wyler. WARNER BROS. B & W 95 mins.

JAMES DEAN (1931-1955)

11:45 AM REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE (1955) James Dean, Natalie Wood, Sal Mineo. Dir: Nicholas Ray. WARNER BROS. COLOR. 111 mins.

JEAN HARLOW (1911-1937)

1:45 PM LIBELED LADY (1936) Jean Harlow, William Powell, Myrna Loy, Spencer Tracy. Dir: Jack Conway. M-G-M.

B & W 98 mins.

CAROLE LOMBARD (1908-1942)

3:30 PM TWENTIETH CENTURY (1934) John Barrymore, Carole Lombard. Dir: Howard Hawks. COLUMBIA.

B & W 91 mins.

BRANDON DeWILDE (1942-1972)

5:00 PM HUD (1963) Paul Newman, Patricia Neal, Melvyn Douglas, Brandon de Wilde. Dir: Martin Ritt. B & W 112 mins.

7:OO PM PRIVATE SCREENINGS - PATRICIA NEAL

Patricia Neal discusses her career with TCM host Robert Osborne.

MARGARET LINDSAY - STAR OF THE MONTH

8:00 PM THE HOUSE ON 56TH STREET (1933) Kay Francis, Ricardo Cortez, Margaret Lindsay. Dir: Robert Florey. WARNER BROS. B & W 68 mins http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0024144/plotsummary

9:15 PM BORDERTOWN (1935) Paul Muni, Bette Davis, Margaret Lindsay. Dir: Archie Mayo WARNER BROS. B & W 90mins.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0026129/plotsummary

11:00 PM THE HOUSE OF THE SEVEN GABLES (1940) George Sanders, Vincent Price, Margaret Lindsay. Dir: Joe May. UNIVERSAL. B & W 89 mins.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032610/plotsummary

12:45 AM CRIME DOCTOR (1943) Warner Baxter, Margaret Lindsay, John Litel. Columbia. Dir: Michael Gordon. COLUMBIA. B & W 66mins.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0035766/plotsummary

2:00 AM ELLERY QUEEN, MASTER DETECTIVE (1940) Ralph Bellamy, Margaret Lindsay, Charley Grapewin. Marsha Hunt. Dir: Kurt Neumann. B & W 69 mins.

3:15 AM ELLERY QUEEN?S PENTHOUSE MYSTERY (1941) Ralph Bellamy, Margaret Lindsay, Charley Grapewin, Anna May Wong. Dir: James P. Hogan. COLUMBIA B & W 69 mins.

4:30 AM ELLERY QUEEN AND THE PERFECT CRIME (1941) Ralph Bellamy, Margaret Lindsay, Charley Grapewin, Spring Byington, H.B. Warner. Dir: James P. Hogan. COLUMBIA.

B & W 68 mins.

THURSDAY - NOV. 19, 2009

SUGAR AND SPICE AND EVERYTHING...VICE - Bad Boys and Even Badder Girls: Dastardly Donlevy, Wicked Widmark & Cunning Conte

6:00 AM THE BIG COMBO (1955) Cornel Wilde, Richard Conte, Brian Donlevy. Dir: Joseph H. Lewis. ALLIED ARTISTS. B & W 84 mins.

7:30 AM KISS OF DEATH (1947) Victor Mature, Richard Widmark, Brian Donlevy, Colleen Gray. Dir: Henry Hathaway. 20th CENTURY FOX. B & W 98 mins.

9:15 AM BEAU GESTE (1942) Gary Cooper, Ray Milland, Robert Preston. Dir: William A. Wellman. B & W 112 mins.

11:15 AM THE MALTESE FALCON (1941) Humphrey Bogart, Mary Astor, Sidney Greenstreet, Peter Lorre. Dir: John Huston. WARNER BROS. B & W 101 mins.

?If they hang you, I?ll always remember you.?

1:00 PM MURDER, MY SWEET (1944) Dick Powell, Claire Trevor, Anne Shirley. Dir: Edward Dymytryk. RKO RADIO PICTURES. B & W 95 mins.

?I hate their women too-especially the ?big league blondes.? Beautiful expensive babes who know what they've got...all bubble bath and dewy morning and moonlight. And inside: blue steel, cold - cold like that, only...not that clean.?

2:45 PM DOUBLE INDEMNITY (1945) Barbara Stanwyck, Fred MacMurray, Edward G. Robinson. PARAMOUNT. Dir: Billy Wilder. B & W 107 mins.

?Closer than that, Walter.?

4:00 PM DETOUR (1945) Tom Neal, Ann Savage. Dir: Edgar G. Ulmer. PRC. B & W 67 mins.

"I?m sure you think that I hate you but I want you to know that I hate you"

5:15 PM OUT OF THE PAST (1947) Robert Mitchum, Jane Greer, Kirk Douglas. Dir: Jacques Tourneur. RKO RADIO PICTURES. B & W 97 mins.

?Baby, I don?t care.?

?You build my gallows high, baby.?

7:00 PM PRIVATE SCREENINGS - ROBERT MITCHUM and JANE RUSSELL Co-stars and lifelong friends Robert Mitchum and Jane Russell recall their careers with host Robert Osborne. 31 mins.

LETHAL LADIES

8:00 PM A BLUEPRINT FOR MURDER (1953) Joseph Cotten, Jean Peters, Gary Merrill. Dir: Andrew L. Stone. 20th CENTURY FOX. B & W 77 mins.

9:30 PM FRAMED (1947) Glenn Ford, Janis Carter, Barry Sullivan. Dir: Richard Wallace. B & W 82 mins.

11:00 PM DECOY (1946) Jean Gillie, Herbert Rudley, Edward Norris. Dir: Jack Bernhard. MONOGRAM. B & W 76 mins.

12:30 AM BLONDE ICE (1948) Leslie Brooks, Robert Paige, Emory Parnell. Dir: Jack Bernhard. FILM CLASSICS

B & W 73 mins.

1:45 AM THE DAMNED DON?T CRY (1950)Joan Crawford, David Brian, Steve Cochran. WARNER BROS. Dir: Vincent Sherman. B & W 103 mins.

3:30 AM JOHNNY BELIND* (1948) Jane Wyman, Lew Ayres, Agnes Moorhead, Stephen McNally, Jan Sterling.

B & W 102 mins.

5:15 AM PRIVATE SCREENINGS - ROD STEIGER Oscar winner Rod Steiger discusses his career as a top dramatic star with TCM host Robert Osborne.

60 mins

FRIDAY - NOV. 20, 2009

EVERYTHING?S RELATIVE

6:15 AM THE RETURN OF DR. X (1939) Humphrey Bogart, Wayne Morris, Dennis Morgan, Rosemary Lane. Dir: Vincent Sherman. WARNER BROS. B & W 62 mins.

7:15 AM MARKED WOMAN (1937) Bette Davis, Humphrey Bogart, Eduardo Cianelli, Lola Lane. Dir: Lloyd Bacon. WARNER BROS. B & W 96 mins.

9:00 AM THE ROARING TWENTIES (1939) James Cagney, Humphrey Bogart, Priscilla Lane. Dir: Raoul Walsh. WARNER BROS. B & W 104 mins.

10:45 AM THEY DRIVE BY NIGHT (1940) George Raft, Humphrey Bogart, Ann Sheridan, Ida Lupino, Gale Page. Raoul Walsh. WARNER BROS. B & W 95 mins.

12:30 PM FOUR?S A CROWD (1938) Olivia DeHavilland, Errol Flynn, Rosalind Russell. Dir: Michael Curtiz. WARNER BROS.

B & W 92 mins.

2:15 PM THE WOMEN (1939) Norma Shearer, Joan Crawford, Rosalind Russell, Joan Fontaine. Dir: George Cukor. M-G-M. B & W 133 mins.

4:30 PM DUEL IN THE SUN (1946) Gregory Peck, Jennifer Jones, Joseph Cotten, Lionel Barrymore. Dir: King Vidor. SELZNICK INTERNATIONAL PICTURES. COLOR 144 mins.

7:00 PM PORTRAIT OF JENNIE*(1948) Jennifer Jones, Joseph Cotten, Ethel Barrymore. Dir: William Dieterle. SELZNICK INTERNATIONAL PICTURES. B & W 86 mins.

8:45 PM THE LADY EVE (1941) Henry Fonda Barbara Stanwyck. Dir: Preston Sturges.PARAMOUNT. B & W 94 mins.

10:30 PM WALK ON THE WILD SIDE (1962) Barbara Stanwyck, Laurence Harvey, Capucine, Jane Fonda. Dir: Edward Dmytryk. COLUMBIA PICTURES. B & W 114 mins.

TCM UNDERGROUND

I AM WOMAN, HEAR ME ROAR...OR SNARL...OR BITE!

12:30 AM CAPTIVE WILD WOMAN (1943) Acquanetta, John Carradine, Milburn Stone, Evelyn Ankers. Edward Dmytryk. UNIVERSAL. B & W 61 mins.

1:30 AM ATTACK OF THE 50 FOOT WOMAN (1958) Allison, William Hudson, Yvette Vickers. Nathan Juran. ALLIED ARTISTS. B & W 65 mins.

2:45 AM BLOOD OF DRACULA (1957) Sandra Harrison, Louise Lewis. Herbert L. Strock. AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL PICTURES. B & W 68 mins.

4:00 AM WASP WOMAN (1959) Susan Cabot, Anthony Eisley, Barboura Morris. Roger Corman. THE FILMGROUP.

B & W 73 mins.

5:15 AM LEECH WOMAN (1960) Colleen Gray, Grant Williams, Gloria Talbott, Kim Hamilton. Edward Dein. UNIVERSAL. B & W 77 mins.

SATURDAY - NOV. 21, 2009

OUT OF THE MOUTHS OF BABES: THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE BRATT

6:30 AM THE KID (1921) Charlie Chaplin, Jackie Coogan, Edna Purviance. Dir: Charles Chaplin. FIRST NATIONAL PICTURES. 68 mins.

7:45 AM THE CHAM* (1931) Wallace Beery, Jackie Cooper. M-G-M. 86 mins.

9:15 AM THESE THREE (1936) Joel McCrea, Merle Oberon, Miriam Hopkins, Bonita Granville. Dir: William Wyler. SAMUEL GOLDWYN PICTURES. B & W 93 mins.

11:00 AM ANDY HARDY GETS SPRING FEVER (1939) Mickey Rooney, Lewis Stone, Helen Gilbert. Dir: W.S.VanDyke.

M-G-M B & W 85 mins.

12:30 PM NATIONAL VELVET (1944) Mickey Rooney, Elizabeth Taylor. Dir: Clarence Brown. M-G-M. B & W 123 mins.

2:30 PM MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS (1944) Judy Garland, Margaret O?Brien, Mary Astor, Leon Ames, Tom Drake. Dir: Vincente Minnelli. M-G-M. COLOR. 113 mins.

4:30 PM LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN (1945) Gene Tierney, Cornel Wilde, Jeanne Crain, Darryl Hickman. Dir: John M. Stahl. 20th CENTURY FOX. COLOR 110 mins.

6:30 PM THE ARNELO AFFAIR (1947) John Hodiak, Frances Gifford, George Murphy, Dean Stockwell. Dir: Arch Oboler. M-G-M. B & W 86 mins.

HAVEN?T I SEEN YOU SOMEWHERE BEFORE?

8:00 PM DEAD END (1937) Joel McCrea, Sylvia Sidney, Humphrey Bogart, Claire Trevor. Dir: William Wyler. SAMUEL GOLDWYN COMPANY. B & W 93 MINS.

9:45 PM THE AMAZING DR. CLITTERHOUSE (1938) Edward G. Robinson, Claire Trevor, Humphrey Bogart. Dir: Anatole Litvak. WARNER BROS. B & W 87 mins.

11:30 PM KEY LARGO (1948) Humphrey Bogart, Edward G. Robinson, Lionel Barrymore. Claire Trevor, Lauren Bacall. Dir: John Huston. WARNER BROS. B & W 100 mins.

1:15 AM THE GREAT SINNER (1949) Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, Melvyn Douglas. Dir: Robert Siodmak. M-G-M. B & W 110 mins.

3:15 AM ON THE BEACH (1959) Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner. Dir: Stanley Kramer. United Artists B & W 134 mins.

CINEMAVEN PROGRAMMING NOTES REPOST

LOCATION! LOCATION! LOCATION!

Arrivederci Italia!

My sister and I took a visit to Remini and Venice about twenty-five years ago. Beautiful. So why not revisit this country with four films that shows its effect on people. We?re introduced to a future icon, a supernova of beauty, the pathos of a father and son, and a movie where Katharine Hepburn is actually very sexy. And all this is brought out by Italy. I?m so happy that Gable lived long enough to work with BOTH Marilyn and Sophia. How many actors can say THAT?? Vino, anyone?

TCM IMPORT You?ve got to catch this film. And I mean NOW! QUAI DES ORFEVRES is wonderful!!!

ADOLPHE MENJOU I was looking up some piece of information for Valentino and saw Menjou had appeared in a film of his. Adolphe Menjou?? I said to myself, "he was in that film too?? It spurred me on to think about all the movies he has appeared in. I think he had a blessed film career, always working and in good films too. His eruditness and urbanity and accent made him an asset in any film. And nobody wore a mustache better, not Gable or Taylor or Powell. Okay, maybe Groucho has him beat.

ELLA RAINES There was a thread posted on this Message Board asking what actor makes you smile. Well she most certainly does. Check her out with John Wayne in TALL IN THE SADDLE. Yes, Gail Russell might have had that haunting vulnerable beauty, but Raines is the tomboy side of the coin, which suited the Duke just as well. This brunette with the pageboy and smoky voice didn?t have too long a career but she definitely was a lovely creature for the 1940?s. Yes, a bit Bacall-ish (though that was more the pouty Lizabeth Scott than her), Raines was not the damsel in distress in many of her films. She was generally the competent, confident, direct and independent-type; and I think lovely to watch. I hope you do too.

AND A TRISKAIDEKAPHOBIA TO YOU TOO!

Thirteen. Just saying the number strikes fear in the hearts of mortal men. But why? We Americans started off thirteen strong with thirteen colonies and we didn?t seem to do so badly by it. Though I have read some fantastic uses of the number thirteen, I shall go the patriotic route, and share with you some movies that take place in one of our original thirteen colonies.

MARGARET LINDSAY

There?s something about Margaret Lindsay that just gets me right here. It?s visceral and I can?t explain it. So let me just go the imdb route for all of you good voters out there:

As described in IMDB:?picture-pretty brunette Margaret Lindsay was one of a number of pleasant, sweet-natured ing?nues who could do no wrong in 1930s stylish pictures.? You all have favorites that you could describe as perhaps not having the high-powered wattage of a Davis or Blondell, Margaret Lindsay was no less capable of shining brightly albeit a bit more subdued. She supported many a 1930?s leading man including James Cagney and Paul Muni and leading ladies like the volcanic Bette Davis. She had a smart sophisticated look and one of the great speaking voices; the camera might have followed the star of the picture but you always wondered what was going on with the handsome, intelligent and believable Margaret Lindsay. For a full mini-biography, please check out: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0512267/bio

Lastly, check out this comment from an imdb contributor: "I was absolutely knocked out by Margaret Lindsay's (NOT Lockwood !!!) bravura performance in this film ('THE HOUSE OF THE SEVEN GABLES'). It is inconceivable that she wasn't nominated but 1940 was one of the most competitive Best Actress years ever. She ran the gamut from lovely young girl to pinched spinster. Her range was worthy of Bette Davis (with whom she co-starred many times). I loved the film itself also, and was inspired to read the book, which I loved as well. Miss Lindsay should have received more comment from students of good acting in all these years since the film. She definitely gave one of the finest performances I have ever seen by an actress in the movies and I'm63!? - fguerras (10/27/2006): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032610/

And yes, Ms. Lindsay has done a slew of films that could fill up a month?s scheduling.

DON?T TAKE HIM FOR GRANTED

Ahhh, Cary Grant. The most perfect name, and the most wonderful voice and the most handsome and sophisticated man. What more d?ya need? Okay okay, he?s the consummate dreamboat ...er...actor. He can be sophisticated or screwball and more than a little dark too. He worked with the creme de la creme of leading ladies who brought out different things in him with each one he worked with. He?s a little different with Hepburn than he is with Dunne, than he is with Loy, than he is with Kerr, than he is with Ginger, than he is with Sheridan, than he is with Eva Marie, than he is with Lombard, than he is with...Hepburn. But I think his best leading lady and the one where they generated the most heat was with Ingrid Bergman. ?NOTORIOUS.? Enough said. Cary Grant is perfect. Even Cary Grant wanted to be Cary Grant.

DEE-LIGHTFUL, DEE-LOVELY FRANCES DEE

Marrying one of the most popular actors in Hollywood and being one of the most delicately beautiful women of the entire 1930?s, who wouldn?t want to spend a day with Frances Dee. This is a chore? She chose marriage and family over a career in Hollywood and Joel McCrea?s gain is our loss. But at least for today we can bask in the luminosity of Frances Dee. And I promise you...there is a shot of her in ?So Ends Our Night? that will take your breath away. She is absolutely, unequivocably and utterly beautiful and quietly talented. And now...Frances Dee.

?It was refreshing to see such a twisted sexuality portrayed so cheerfully by an actress this attrractive (sic) in such an old movie. The masochistic gleam in her eyes at the end was worth the price of admission by itself.?-somebodyfamousjr. (5/14/2006): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0023818/board/nest/43316048

The movie that the poster was referring to: "BLOOD MONEY."

WHAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN

When you see the names, you?ll know what I?m going for. Celebrities whose lives ended too soon. Some had careers that looked promising. Makes you wonder, sadly, what might have been.

SUGAR AND SPICE AND EVERYTHING...VICE

Dastardly Donlevy, Wicked Widmark, Cunning Conte.

What can I say...I love the bad boy. Well, maybe, loving him from afar since I?m kind of a good girl. Handsome, bad and makes you want to be bad with him. Yeah. Yeah.

Lethal Ladies

Whether she?s thumbin? a ride, droppin? her lipstick case, showin? her ankle bracelet, pullin? the trigger herself, gettin? a big lug to do it for her OR walking in out of the sunlight, remember this: SHE IS LETHAL!! The prerequisites for a lethal lady: heartless viciousness and beauty. Being a damsel in distress can?t hurt. Being a blonde is not necessary. (Especially if the wig is baad). It?s okay...you?re a big strong man. She?ll let you think it?s your idea. After all, women are the weaker sex. Right?

P.S. I don?t know if Claire Trevor should officially be in this category, but hell...that voice and her quintessential 1940?s look and the fact that she?s referred to as a ?big league blonde? is enough in my book. Make up your own schedule. She should always have a gun in her hand.

EVERYTHING IS RELATIVE

Is there a touch of nepotism in Hollywood? Ya think? Probably more on the studio-end of things a la the Kordas or Warners or Zanucks, not so much on the stardom end. But there were many relatives who were film stars; kind of like a family business. We?ve got sisters and brothers and fathers and daughters in this bunch. And there were some stars who worked with those siblings or progeny. Some even worked with both in the same film as is the case with Deborah Kerr (John & Hayley Mills) or Jack Nicholson (with Angelica and John Huston).

Now I know you won?t think ?Basic Instinct? with Sharon Stone is a classic though I think that her role as Catherine Tremaine is one of the great female roles in history (yes Katy Scarlett O?Hara, I do) of cinema. Well, imagine this cinemaven?s glee when I saw the movie in the theatres and gave a low squeal. My friend gave me a soft shot in the ribs.

Friend: ?WHAT?!?

Me: ?Dorothy Malone!?

Friend: ?Who??

My friend?s younger, so I went with something she might know:

Me: ?Dorothy Malone! ?Peyton Place.??

Friend: ?Sssh!?

Me: ?Michael Douglas gave a part to Dorothy Malone.?

Friend: ?So??

Me: ?She worked with his father in ?The Last Sunset.??

Friend: ?Oh.?

Movie Patron Behind Us: ?Ssssh!?

My favorite sibling link is Bogie working with all three of the Lane Sisters AND including a separate movie with Gale Page. Let?s see if talent runs in the family.

I AM WOMAN HEAR ME ROAR

I don?t know about you, but I could watch a bad B-movie over and over and over again. I love watching these women transform. Why. Schlocky, bad acting, fake-looking sets, day-for-night shots. Not the mark of classic filmmaking. But Allison Hayes stomping around this little town and that fake papier mache hand of hers coming through the roof to get Harry, is worth a Friday night of dinner, drinking and dancing with my friends. There are some serious topics tackled (infidelity, scientific research, ageism) in the midst of the tacky settings. And I LOVE these film for it.

Message was edited by: ChipHeartsMovies

Fredmill38 Schedule REPOST

Sunday, March 7th, 2010

In The Spotlight: Films That Deal with the Sudden

Rise of Individuals Either by Choice or Not of Their Making

6:00 am The Miracle Woman (1931) Columbia 91 mins

Burt Reynolds on Spencer Tracy

7:45 am Boy Meets Girl (1938) WB 86 mins

9:15 am A Face in the Crowd (1957) WB 126 mins (ps)

11:30 am All About Eve (1950) FOX 138 mins (ps)

1:49 pm Stars on Horseback (1943) WB 7 mins - One Reel Wonder

2:00 pm A Star is Born (1954) WB 176 mins (ps)

5:00 pm Made on Broadway (1933) MGM 68 mins

Trailer: San Francisco (1936)

6:15 pm Madison Avenue (1962) FOX 94 mins (TCM Premiere)

TCM Now Playing: The Show

I'd Make a Deal with the Devil to Get What I Want!: Films Where Working

With Satan or Even Falling into His Clutches Can Lead to

Even Bigger Problems

8:00 pm The Devil and Daniel Webster (1941) RKO 112 mins

10:00 pm Angel on My Shoulder (1946) UA 102 mins

TCM Promo with Star of the Month Lloyd Nolan

11:45 pm Haredevil Hare (1948) WB 7 mins - One Reel Wonder

TCM Silent Sunday Nights Promo

Trailer: Lady in the Lake (1947)

12:00 am Silent Sunday Nights Leaves from Satan's Book (1919) Nordisk Film 110 mins (ps)

Nancy Sinatra on Frank Sinatra

2:00 am TCM Imports Faust (1963) Walter Traut/Divina Films 121 mins

TCM Spotlight: The Formosa

4:15 am Alias Nick Beal (1949) Paramount 92 mins (TCM Premiere)

TCM Promo with the Deli Owner

TCM Essentials Promo

Monday, March 8th, 2010

It's a One Shot Deal: Films with Some of the Greats Together for Only Once

6:00 am Inspiration (1931) MGM 76 mins (Garbo and Montgomery)

TCM Imports Promo

TCM Movie News for March

7:30 am Cry Wolf (1947) WB 83 mins (Flynn and Stanwyck)

9:00 am Destry Rides Again (1939) Universal 95 mins (ps) (Stewart and Dietrich)

Trailer: Suspicion (1941)

10:45 am It Happened One Night (1934) Columbia 106 mins (Gable and Colbert)

12:30 pm Charade (1963) Universal 114 mins (ps) (Grant and Hepburn)

2:30 pm Up the River (1930) FOX 92 mins (ps) (Tracy and Bogart)

Jack Lemmon on Billy Wilder

4:15 pm Smart Money (1931) WB 82 mins (Robinson and Cagney)

5:45 pm The Horse Soldiers (1959) UA 120 mins (Wayne and Holden)

7:46 pm Duck Soup to Nuts (1944) WB 6 mins - One Reel Wonder

Trailer: Goldfinger (1964)

TCM Spotlight #1: Lucky 13: Films With Some Famous Actors Whose

Names Come Out to 13 Letters

8:00 pm The Bells of St. Mary's (1945) RKO 127 mins (Ingrid Bergman)

10:15 pm I Love You Again (1940) MGM 100 mins (William Powell)

12:00 am Ninotchka (1939) MGM 111 mins (Melvyn Douglas)

2:00 am Paris When It Sizzles (1964) 110 mins (Audrey Hepburn)

4:00 am Mr. and Mrs. Smith (1941) RKO 95 mins (Carole Lombard)

5:36 am Carole Lombard Biography (1962) 4 mins - One Reel Wonder

TCM.com Promo

5:45 am How to Behave (1936) MGM 10 mins - One Reel Wonder

Tuesday, March 9th, 2010

Wait, They're Related!!!: A Group of Films With Siblings Starring in Them

Both in Front of and Behind the Camera

(Graves/Arness)

6:00 am Stalag 17 (1953) Paramount 121 mins (ps) (Peter Graves)

TCM Original Programming: The Story of Movies

8:15 am The Farmer's Daughter (1947) RKO 98 mins (James Arness)

(Fontaine/DeHaviland)

10:00 am Suspicion (1941) RKO 100 mins (Joan Fontaine)

11:45 am The Strawberry Blonde (1941) WB 99 mins (Olivia DeHaviland)

(Andrews/Forrest)

1:30 pm No Minor Vices (1948) MGM 96 mins (Dana Andrews)

3:15 pm Bedevilled (1955) MGM 85 mins (Steve Forrest)

(The Shearers)

4:45 pm Their Own Desire (1929) MGM 65 mins (Norma Shearer)

5:51 pm Norma Shearer Biography (1962) 4 mins - One Reel Wonder

6:00 pm San Francisco (1936) MGM 116 mins (Douglas Shearer)

Star of the Month: Lloyd Nolan

This Week: On the Right Side and the Wrong Side of the Law

8:00 pm G-Men (1935) WB 87 mins

9:30 pm A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1945) FOX 128 mins (ps)

11:45 pm Lady in the Lake (1947) MGM 103 mins

1:30 am Michael Shayne, Private Detective (1941) FOX 77 mins (TCM Premiere)

Kevin Spacey on Jack Lemmon

3:00 am Sleepers West (1941) FOX 74 mins (TCM Premiere)

4:15 am Counterfeit (1936) Columbia 73 mins

5:30 am Know Your Money (1940) MGM 21 mins - One Reel Wonder

Trailer: Flipper (1963)

Wednesday, March 10th, 2010

"Shirley" You're Not Serious!: Films Devoted to Actresses with the Name of Shirley

Shirley Jones

6:00 am The Courtship of Eddie's Father (1963) MGM 119 mins

8:00 am Oklahoma! (1955) FOX 149 mins (ps)

Shirley Temple

10:30 am The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer (1947) RKO 96 mins

12:15 pm Adventure in Baltimore (1949) RKO 89 mins

Shirley MacLaine

1:45 pm Two for the Seesaw (1962) UA 120 mins (ps)

3:45 pm The Children's Hour (1961) UA 108 mins (ps)

TCM Original Programming: Letterbox vs. Pan and Scan

Shirley Eaton

5:45 pm Goldfinger (1964) UA 112 mins (ps)

TCM Movie News for March

7:45 pm Johannesburg "City of Gold" (1953) MGM 9 mins - One Reel Wonder

Vengeance is Mine: Films that Deal with Some Unhappy

Individuals Looking for Those Who Wronged Them

8:00 pm Nevada Smith (1966) Paramount 131 mins (ps)

10:15 pm Black Hand (1950) MGM 93 mins

Gregory Peck on Lauren Bacall

12:00 am Mr. Soft Touch (1949) Columbia 93 mins

Trailer: Dr. Kildare's Crisis (1940)

TCM Now Playing Guide Promo

1:45 am Days of Glory (1944) RKO 86 mins

3:15 am Mask of the Avenger (1951) Columbia 83 mins

4:45 am The Oklahoma Kid (1939) WB 81 mins

TCM Essentials Promo: Abe Lincoln in Illinois (1940)

TCM Underground Promo

Thursday, March 11th, 2010

Doctor, Doctor, Give Me the News, I've Gotta Bad Case of Lovin' You!: Films

Devoted to Doctors and Their Staff or Their Patients

6:15 am The Right to Romance (1933) RKO 67 mins

7:30 am Society Doctor (1935) MGM 67 mins

TCM.com Promo

TCM Promo with Machinist

8:45 am Dark Victory (1939) WB 105 mins

10:30 am Spellbound (1945) UA 118 mins (ps)

12:30 pm Not as a Stranger (1955) UA 137 mins (ps)

TCM Underground: What is a Cult Film?

Trailer: Abe Lincoln in Illinois (1940)

3:00 pm The Young Doctors (1961) UA 100 mins (ps)

TCM Promo Wall with Ben-Hur

TCM Now Playing Guide Promo

4:45 pm Magnificent Obsession (1954) Universal 108 mins (ps)

6:34 pm Emergency Doctor (1956) RKO 8 mins - One Reel Wonder

6:45 pm Dr. Kildare's Crisis (1940) MGM 75 mins

TCM Spotlight #2: Location! Location!: Welcome to Florida! The Sunshine State

8:00 pm Some Like It Hot (1959) UA 122 mins (ps) (Miami)

Chazz Palmentieri on Edward G. Robinson

10:15 pm Key Largo (1948) WB 101 mins (Florida Keys)

12:00 am Moon Over Miami (1941) FOX 91 mins (TCM Premiere) (Miami)

1:32 am So You Want an Apartment (1948) WB 11 mins - One Reel Wonder

1:45 am The Palm Beach Story (1942) Paramount 88 mins (ps) (Palm Beach)

3:15 am Miami Expose (1956) Columbia 73 mins (Miami)

4:30 am Flipper (1963) MGM 91 mins (Florida Keys)

Friday, March 12th, 2010

I Need to Do What I Can for My Kid: Films Dealing With Parents and Their Children

6:01 am That Certain Woman (1937) WB 93 mins

Michael Caine on Cary Grant

7:45 am The Champ (1931) MGM 87 mins

9:15 am Confession (1937) WB 88 mins

10:45 am Stella Dallas (1937) UA 104 mins (ps)

12:30 pm Our Vines Have Tender Grapes (1945) MGM 106 mins

2:17 pm Edward G. Robinson Biography (1962) 4 mins - One Reel Wonder

Trailer: East of Eden (1955)

2:30 pm Mildred Pierce (1945) WB 111 mins

TCM Movie News for March

4:30 pm The Great O'Malley (1937) WB 71 mins

5:45 pm Strange Interlude (1932) MGM 110 mins

TCM Original Programming: 100 Years at the Movies

7:45 pm Quant Quebec (1936) MGM 9 mins - One Reel Wonder

TCM Imports Promo

TCM Promo Wall with Jeanette Macdonald from "The Merry Widow"

Hey Judge!!: Where the Escapades of Judges Can Be Oh So Troublesome

8:00 pm The Talk of the Town (1942) Columbia 119 mins

10:00 pm Tell It to the Judge (1949) Columbia 87 mins

11:30 pm A Stranger in Town (1943) MGM 70 mins

12:45 am A Family Affair (1937) MGM 69 mins

TCM Underground: The Shes Are Out!!

2:00 am The She-Creature (1956) AIP 77 mins

John Frankenheimer on Burt Lancaster

TCM Media Room Promo

TCM Promo Wall with Tarzan (Johnny Weissmuller)

3:30 am The She-Beast (1966) Europix-Consolidated Corp 74 mins

4:45 am Cat People (1942) RKO 73 mins

Saturday, March 13th, 2010

Welcome to the Show!!: Films Devoted to the Circus or Some of Their Performers

6:00 am Freaks (1932) MGM 65 mins

TCM Original Programming: 100 Years at the Movies

7:15 am Polly of the Circus (1932) MGM 70 mins

8:30 am The Wagons Roll at Night (1941) WB 85 mins

10:00 am The Greatest Show on Earth (1952) Paramount 152 mins (ps)

Carrie Fisher on Debbie Reynolds

12:45 pm Man on a Tightrope (1953) FOX 105 mins (TCM Premiere)

2:30 pm Trapeze (1956) UA 106 mins (ps)

TCM Movie News for March

Trailer: Two Smart People (1946) - March 16th, 2010

4:30 pm Ring of Fear (1954) WB 93 mins (ps)

6:04 pm Now You See It (1947) MGM 10 mins - One Reel Wonder

6:15 pm At the Circus (1939) MGM 87 mins

Hollywood in My Hometown: Vertigo (1958)

Raymond Massey: The Stoic Leader: Films Starring the Famous Canadian

Playing Historical Figures, Thinkers and Some Manical Individuals

8:00 pm The Essentials Abe Lincoln in Illinois (1940) RKO 110 mins

9:51 pm The Capital City Washington D.C. (1940) MGM 9 mins - One Reel Wonder

10:00 pm Arsenic and Old Lace (1944) WB 118 mins

12:00 am Things to Come (1936) UA 113 mins (ps)

2:00 am East of Eden (1955) WB 115 mins (ps)

4:00 am Desperate Journey (1942) WB 108 mins

TCM Word of Mouth: Maureen O'Hara on John Wayne

Trailer: It Happens Every Spring (1949)

Fredmill38's Programming Notes: REPOST

Hello everyone! I'm sorry for not being around here for the past few days and being able to post my schedule until the eleventh hour. I've been busy with work, spending time with family and other things. From what I've read so far, the schedules that have been posted are great.

Anyways, in regards to my schedule, here is some background about it. Each of the themes for the days either relate to song titles, something that is common within the theme of each of the films or pertains to something that the actors had in common with one another.

For the TCM Spotlight: Lucky 13, since some of the ideas that I was thinking about were already done, I decided to do several films in which the actors themselves had 13 letters to their names minus the spacing. I know this seems kind of corny, but this was the only idea I could think of. Some of the folks we have that fit the category are William Powell, Carole Lombard, Audrey Hepburn, Ingrid Bergman and Melvyn Douglas.

For the TCM Spotlight: Location! Location!, I chose the state of Florida as the focus, since there are some great films that take place in many of the well known cities down there. I also chose Florida partially because my brother goes to school down there and as a race fan, Daytona Beach is the mecca for anyone who follows the sport of NASCAR.

In regards to the Star of the Month, I chose Lloyd Nolan as the Star of the Month for March. I had purchased the Michael Shayne DVD box set Volume 1 about a few months ago and really enjoyed them. I have watched several of his films that he was in and I am appreciating more of his work that I have seen recently.

On Tuesday during the day, I have a block of films devoted to some famous actors and individuals behind the camera who are actually siblings. While some of us are familiar with the fact that Joan Fontaine and Olivia deHaviland are related, I wanted to take a look at some other folks who people did not expect to be related but are.

I also have a day set aside devoted to some famous actresses named Shirley from Jones, to Temple to MacLaine and to Eaton as well.

Some other themes that I included films which have films that deal with the rise of individuals in the public eye, people seeking revenge for those who have wronged them and individuals who look out and do what is in the best interest of their kids.

The Essential for the week is the film "Abe Lincoln in Illinois (1940)" and the night is built around Raymond Massey as well.

The TCM Silent Sunday night movie is "Leaves from Satan's Book (1919)" with Helge Nissen and Jacob Texiere and the TCM Import is the film, "Faust (1963)".

The TCM Underground films are "The She-Creature (1956)" with Chester Morris and "The She-Beast (1966)" with Barbara Steele.

The TCM Premieres include "Madison Avenue (1962)" with Dana Andrews and Jeanne Crain, "Alias Nick Beal (1949)" with Ray Milland and Audrey Totter, "Michael Shayne, Private Detective (1941)" with Lloyd Nolan and Marjorie Weaver, "Sleepers West (1941)" with Lloyd Nolan and Lynn Bari, "Moon Over Miami (1941)" with Betty Grable, Don Ameche and Robert Cummings, and "Man on a Tightrope (1953)" with Fredric March, Terry Moore and Gloria Grahame.

I hope that the schedule I have created is okay. I enjoyed doing each of the schedules that I have participated in and I figured that it would be great to do this again.

And with that, everyone's schedules and notes have been reposted.

Please double check that I reposted you if you entered -- I'm certainly not infallible.

Because of the technical problems, voting will be extended to Saturday June 13 at Midnight Pacific Time. That's 3 AM in New York, so the winner will be announced when I get up Sunday morning.

WOW!!! This was hard! I was so happy to see that many schedules this time around, but it sure makes for difficult choosing!!! Everybody has something I like! But when it comes down to it, I got the most delight from was *Fedya's* candy schedule, and I feel ten pounds heavier just having read it. Very clever headers and choice of films for each.

Nope can't make a choice. They're all too interesting! I love reading all the schedules--people on here are much more creative in their choices than the actual TCM programmers. (Who, if they haven't, should take note!)

> {quote:title=ChipHeartsMovies wrote:}{quote}

> And with that, everyone's schedules and notes have been reposted.

>

> Please double check that I reposted you if you entered -- I'm certainly not infallible.

>

> Because of the technical problems, voting will be extended to Saturday June 13 at Midnight Pacific Time. That's 3 AM in New York, so the winner will be announced when I get up Sunday morning.

Chipster: *Thanks for extending the voting deadline*. This has been an incredibly busy week for lots of us - end of school year, company coming, glitches galore, etc. I promise I'll vote by the end of this week. Thanks to all for all your very *hard work*.

You're most welcome!

Let me encourage you all again to really read the schedules these TCMers worked so hard to arrange. You'll be amazed at how creative they are!

With the voting deadline extension, you have this whole weekend, al next week, and all day next Saturday to choose your favorite.

I haven?t done this for awhile but thought I would do my doctored-up ?Now Playing? covers for this Challenge?s participants? schedules. Hope everybody enjoys them!

Patful?s schedule:

nppatful

NormaDesmond?s schedule:

norma desmond

Fredmill38?s schedule:

fredmill

Nicoley13?s schedule:

npnicoley

CountessDelave?s schedule:

npcountessdelave

helenbaby?s schedule:

nphelen

LonesomePolecat?s schedule:

nplonesome

capuchin?s schedule:

npcapuchin2

CineMaven?s schedule:

npcinemaven

Fedya?s schedule:

npfedya

ILoveRayMilland?s schedule:

raymilland

and my (Filmlover) schedule:

npfilmlover

Oh wow, those are grand! And all the pictures you chose are gorgeous!

Right now I'm feeling glad I can't vote (wasn't registered in time). I suppose even if I could vote I could just choose not to, but I would feel kinda obligated to pick someone. And it would be so...very...hard.

Oh, and I meant to say to ChipHeartsMovies, you're amazing for recreating all the formatting and then removing it all again. I had more than enough fun just formatting my own schedule.

Thanks for those covers, filmlover. I think our Challenges feel incomplete without them. And hlywdkjk...and lzcutter...and movieman1957...and sugarpuss...

Was that too subtle? ;-) Thanks again.

great covers, filmlover. with I'd thought of it and coulda made come, but yours are better.

I know who I want to vote for but now I can't remember their name, just their schedule, but I don't have time to look it up, so I'll vote soon.

Archived