Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE #13: THE VOTING THREAD

*All of the Challenges have been well-run.*

Pat,

Thanks for bringing that up. After three years (aren't we coming up on an anniversary of some sorts?), the Challenge is still going strong, despite the cyber-gods and the ups and downs of the boards.

We've been very fortunate to have such steady hands (and heads) not only in the Challenges themselves but holding down the moderating duties as well.

It's not always for the faint of heart but it sure is a lot of fun!

Pat,

Thanks for bringing that up. After three years (aren't we coming up on an anniversary of some sorts?), the Challenge is still going strong, despite the cyber-gods and the ups and downs of the boards.

We've been very fortunate to have such steady hands (and heads) not only in the Challenges themselves but holding down the moderating duties as well.

Pat,

Pat,

Thanks for bringing that up. After three years (aren't we coming up on an anniversary of some sorts?*), the Challenge is still going strong, despite the cyber-gods and the ups and downs of the boards.

*I just looked it up and the original Challenge gauntlet was thrown down by Path40a back in February, 2006. So the Challenge is officially over three years old.

Message was edited by: lzcutter

*I didn't say anything about not being able to use bold type, my friend.* - lzcutter

I think it has contributed to our continual problem of opening these threads over the years. I'll probably start using quotes on movie titles in the future.

*Besides your world can't end until TCM airs that one special film for you.*

I may gripe a lot, but I've accepted that I'll never see it.

Let me second (third?) the statement that all of the Challenges have been well-run. In all of those I played before moderating the last, every moderator was quick to clarify and answer my questions, and most importantly cheerily keep things moving along. I would not have limped to the finish line this week except for my running on the excellent track laid by my august predecessors.

Lonesome Polecat, there is usually a gap of at least a month before the next Challenge is announced. The final call on that is now CineMaven's, who will no doubt take into account holidays, school starting dates, etc. Now that we've ensnared you, you'll think of all kinds of ideas between now and then. Keep a list of them and you'll find half of the next Challenge done when the Maven announces the next game!

As Lynn said, CineMaven, don't be intimidated as you plan the next game. If you get stuck, ask any of us to help. I can tell you that there were several PMs from TCMers who have moderated the game in the past that helped me through rough spots -- special honors go to Lynn herself, who figured out a way to access the gummed up threads so I could try and clean them up.

Thanks again all, and I look forward to playing ( _and winning_ ) CineMaven's Challenge #14.

PS: Don't forget I need your address if you want your Fox's U-Bet, players!

> {quote:title=patful wrote:}{quote}

> *...kudos to Chip for doing such a terrific job of running _this_ Challenge!* - HollywoodGolightly

>

> That underlining looks awfully snarky. (blue frowny guy) All of the Challenges have been well-run.

>

> Message was edited by: patful, to escape lzcutter's wrath for posting a frowny

There is nothing snarky about it. I'm already looking forward to the _next_ challenge, but I wanted to make sure to congratulate Chip for the good job he did with _this_ one.

> {quote:title=patful wrote:}{quote}

> *...kudos to Chip for doing such a terrific job of running _this_ Challenge!* - HollywoodGolightly

>

> That underlining looks awfully snarky. (blue frowny guy) All of the Challenges have been well-run.

>

> Message was edited by: patful, to escape lzcutter's wrath for posting a frowny

There is nothing snarky about it. I'm already looking forward to the _next_ challenge, but I wanted to make sure to congratulate Chip for the good job he did with _this_ one.

> {quote:title=ChipHeartsMovies wrote:}{quote}

> Let me second (third?) the statement that all of the Challenges have been well-run.

Chip,

I didn't intend anything beyond a very simple, well-intentioned acknowledgment about the great job you did with this challenge, because it's the only one I've followed. It's a bit sad that some people seek to find offense even in the most innocuous of statements. I have no reason to think that other people didn't do a good job, and I'm also certain that CineMaven will do a great job with the next one. But in the excitement about the upcoming Challenge #14, I didn't want to lose sight of the fact that you did a terrific job with this one, just like Lynn said, in spite of all kinds of forum malfunctioning. That is not to say anything bad about anybody else, it is saying a good thing about you. If anybody finds offense in something that is completely well-intentioned, then that just makes it seem that people can't say a nice thing about someone here without someone trying to make it look like a slight against somebody else - which is of course the last thing anyone intends when congratulating people who've just done an amazing job and deserve to be congratulated.

Holly,

I took absolutely no offense from your post, and I should have said thank you for the very nice compliment in it. To be honest, all of you are saying such nice things about me that it feels a little self-indulgent to keep saying "thank you" to each, and I don't want to take a moment of the spotlight away from CineMaven --- who deserves the *Now Playing* cover story right now, thanks to her terrific win.

I appreciate your kind words, make no mistake. But if there's room for others on that cover story alongside CineMaven, that belongs to the other terrific entrants in the Challenge, ALL of whom did a phenomenal job --- especially those who played for the first time. And if this is one of those fold-out covers, the extra panels belong to the moderators who preceded me, many of whom immediately offered help and support when I started. And certainly to my pal patful, who offered to back up schedules while I was out of the country "just in case."

It takes a Village to keep Chip from becoming Mrs. O'Leary's Cow and accidentally burning down the whole town. I'm glad (and LUCKY) I live in the TCM Village, which happily remains unburnt-down.

In my final act as Lucky 13 Moderator, I declare this week to be a Week of Celebration. No hurt feelings, no insinuations, no recriminations, et. al. And thus no need for apologies. Just a general agreement that everyone did a great job, and a hearty congrat for the Maven!

Now, begin shredding your confetti for CineMaven's tickertape parade! Long may she reign (until I dethrone her with the next Challenge, which _I AM DETERMINED TO WIN_ . So watch out, Nicoley, Polecat, and all of our other fantastic newbies!).

Now --- spotlight on the amazin' CineMaven!

> {quote:title=ChipHeartsMovies wrote:}{quote}

> In my final act as Lucky 13 Moderator, I declare this week to be a Week of Celebration. No hurt feelings, no insinuations, no recriminations, et. al. And thus no need for apologies. Just a general agreement that everyone did a great job, and a hearty congrat for the Maven!

>

I think that's the perfect note with which to end the Challenge, Chip. :)

Congratulations again to everyone.

"the next Challenge, which I AM DETERMINED TO WIN"

Chip,

Does this mean that you can't wait to host another challenge? Maybe you'll be lucky and get Cinemaven to officially add Universal to the libraries. Then you'll really be in hog heaven...lol.

CONGRATS TO CINEMAVEN! And to everyone who participated!

And thanks to the three screwballs who voted for me. I have no idea why with all of the terrific competition, ha, but I really do appreciate it. :o)

My apologies --- I was so wrapped up in the Challenge that I never deleted old PMs, and the box was full (it tops out at only 200!).

Especially sorry for you contestants who are sending me your address for your Fox's U-Bet prize! It will take the boards a few hours/possibly overnight to update. Thanks for your patience ... as we have all seen firsthand, I'm not the best at technology, but should be okay soon!

*It will take the boards a few hours/possibly overnight to update.*

Chipster,

Your PM box will clear out overnight. So, tomorrow morning you should be able to receive PMs again.

• 2 weeks later...