Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MARION DAVIES POLL ON IMDb

drednm

already previously somewhat tried to touch on this on another M. DAVIS post, but got cut off, AGAIN!

This is delicate to put it mildly, but confirmed SEE: RKPO 281 an HBO tv movie just for starters!  & I have no idea as to why *Orson welles-(l9l5-85) even knew this very personal between WR Hearst & her thing?  Co-writer & *Oscar winner for KANE for Best O. screenplay-(P.S.*Orson really did not write most of it's script-(SEE: P.Kael's RAISING KANE article) *Welles desperately needed a co-scripter credit in order to get $paid$ But it was mostly *Herman J. MANKIEWICZ that scripted the #1 greatest film ever yet made. So both co won that sole CITIZEN KANE *ACADEMY AWARD for 1941. (P.S. I never include it among *Oscars SINS OF OMISSION due to losing to another magnificent picture in *Ford's *HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY (Fox) & *Eastwood's #1 film by the way! (TRIVIA: But "The Master" himself *John Ford-(l894-l973) always strongly felt Hawks & *Cooper's SERGENT YORK really should have swept instead

(P.S. to all, including TopBilled, LawrenceA & Jakeem, STILL NEED HELP WITH IINSTALLING AN "AVATAR???"

THIS HAS BEEN ON MOVIES, BOOKS & THE NET   Also try & find CAT'S MEOW

"ROSEBUD" ACTUALLY STOOD FOR A VERY PRIVATE PT OF HER ANATOMY!  It was a nickname Hearst gave her/it

No wonder WR was ****!!!

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Is this a poll you created? You've never said why this actress means so much to you...

Yes.... my first poll on IMDb and yes I know I screwed it up by having LITTLE OLD NEW YORK on it twice.

I think she's the most underrated star actress of her time. KANE done her in.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, drednm said:

Yes.... my first poll on IMDb and yes I know I screwed it up by having LITTLE OLD NEW YORK on it twice.

I think she's the most underrated star actress of her time. KANE done her in.

Thanks for explaining. I voted for PEG O' MY HEART (which I think was also Hearst's favorite). 

I see SHOW PEOPLE is winning, probably because it's her most well-known picture.

1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

The one I liked the most isn't included in your poll.

Which one? I tried to spread 'em between the talkies and the silents since I couldn't list them all. I tried to stick in BEAUTY'S WORTH in place of the repeated title, but it wouldn't let me add it..

Which one? I tried to spread 'em between the talkies and the silents since I couldn't list them all. I tried to stick in BEAUTY'S WORTH in place of the repeated title, but it wouldn't let me add it..

You should have included JANICE MEREDITH. It's truly an epic film and should be nudged towards rediscovery.

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Which one do you like most?

I think she's super in SHOW PEOPLE, THE PATSY, LITTLE OLD NEW YORK, WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER and THE CARDBOARD LOVER. Of the talkies, I'd have to go with PEG O MY HEART, CAIN AND MABEL, GOING HOLLYWOOD, and BLONDIE OF THE FOLLIES with FIVE AND TEN close behind.

All of her MGM silents are at Library of Congress and copyrighted, so they'll probably never get DVD releases (only a few have) by Warners. They probably need a little restoration and of course music tracks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

You should have included JANICE MEREDITH. It's truly an epic film and should be nudged towards rediscovery.

I omitted JM because only the British version (9 reels) is around from the old Videobrary print. LOC and UCLA have the 11-reel US version so that might happen someday it UCLA will play ball and share.

I think she's super in SHOW PEOPLE, THE PATSY, LITTLE OLD NEW YORK, WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER and THE CARDBOARD LOVER. Of the talkies, I'd have to go with PEG O MY HEART, CAIN AND MABEL, GOING HOLLYWOOD, and BLONDIE OF THE FOLLIES with FIVE AND TEN close behind.

All of her MGM silents are at Library of Congress and copyrighted, so they'll probably never get DVD releases (only a few have) by Warners. They probably need a little restoration and of course music tracks.

This is how I'd rate her films:

Top 5 silent films

1. JANICE MEREDITH...I really love this one, everything about it works for me. It's huge as only Hearst could make it.
2. THE PATSY...I enjoy her interplay with Marie Dressler. It's classic from start to finish.
3. SHOW PEOPLE...overrated in my opinion but clever and there are some outstanding scenes. It was the first Davies silent picture I ever saw.
4. THE RED MILL...it's a bit uneven in spots but I like the outdoor action stuff. And you can tell Fatty Arbuckle had a hand in the production, it's his kind of comedy.
5. MARIANNE...the silent version seems stronger than the talkie "remake."

Top 5 sound films

1. PEG O' MY HEART...it's a well-written story, the overall production values are quite good, it is very entertaining, and she should have had an Oscar nomination for it.
2. GOING HOLLYWOOD...she works well with Bing, but I get a kick out her scenes with Patsy Kelly even more.
3. OPERATOR 13...so politically incorrect but so good. I can't tell if she's acting or mimicking southern stereotypes. She's brilliant in this film and Gary Cooper works well with her.
4. BLONDIE OF THE FOLLIES...has an engaging story and good costars.
5. POLLY OF THE CIRCUS...it's a different sort of role for her, and the story doesn't entirely work, but I think she and Gable do as well as they can with the material. And C. Aubrey Smith is great.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

This is how I'd rate her films:

Top 5 silent films

1. JANICE MEREDITH...I really love this one, everything about it works for me. It's huge as only Hearst could make it.
2. THE PATSY...I enjoy her interplay with Marie Dressler. It's classic from start to finish.
3. SHOW PEOPLE...overrated in my opinion but clever and there are some outstanding scenes. It was the first Davies silent picture I ever saw.
4. THE RED MILL...it's a bit uneven in spots but I like the outdoor action stuff. And you can tell Fatty Arbuckle had a hand in the production, it's his kind of comedy.
5. MARIANNE...the silent version seems stronger than the talkie "remake."

Top 5 sound films

1. PEG O' MY HEART...it's a well-written story, the overall production values are quite good, it is very entertaining, and she should have had an Oscar nomination for it.
2. GOING HOLLYWOOD...she works well with Bing, but I get a kick out her scenes with Patsy Kelly even more.
3. OPERATOR 13...so politically incorrect but so good. I can't tell if she's acting or mimicking southern stereotypes. She's brilliant in this film and Gary Cooper works well with her.
4. BLONDIE OF THE FOLLIES...has an engaging story and good costars.
5. POLLY OF THE CIRCUS...it's a different sort of role for her, and the story doesn't entirely work, but I think she and Gable do as well as they can with the material. And C. Aubrey Smith is great.

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF HER BYTHE WAY??? I passed by her large family crypt-(Arthur Lake also inside) at HOLLYWOOD FOREVRER, CEM  It said DUVRASon it though

WHERE DID W.R CHOOSE BY THE WAY?

7 minutes ago, spence said:

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF HER BYTHE WAY??? I passed by her large family crypt-(Arthur Lake also inside) at HOLLYWOOD FOREVRER, CEM  It said DUVRASon it though

Her given name was Douras so that makes sense. Though she married a man named Brown.

and SHOW PEOPLE the clear winner with GOING HOLLYWOOD, PAGE MISS GLORY, CAIN AND MABEL,  WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER, and LITTLE OLD NEW YORK (a 3-way tie for 4th) rounding out the top 5. The latter is the only film in the poll NOT to have aired on TCM.

2 hours ago, drednm said:

and SHOW PEOPLE the clear winner with GOING HOLLYWOOD, PAGE MISS GLORY, CAIN AND MABEL,  WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER, and LITTLE OLD NEW YORK (a 3-way tie for 4th) rounding out the top 5. The latter is the only film in the poll NOT to have aired on TCM.

People can keep voting right?

The TCM polls can be set to time out, meaning after x-amount of time, the poll ends and nobody else can vote anymore. I've never done a poll on the IMDb...so does the voting end for your poll, or does it continue?

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

People can keep voting right?

The TCM polls can be set to time out, meaning after x-amount of time, the poll ends and nobody else can vote anymore. I've never done a poll on the IMDb...so does the voting end for your poll, or does it continue?

I think it stays open as long as IMDb keeps the link available.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings