Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My own favs vs.other moviebuffs,etc

spence

hey do it  approx 5 times per week too!?  (& again, someone's favs or not always the actual best, but sometyimes they are so go for t Sports Fans P.S., In case like most wander where SPORTS FANS comes from I;m a child of the movies & one of the world's finest actors>*Robert Duvall-(l931-) said that a lot in his 1980 *Oscar nommed heavy drama THE GREAT SANTINI & it just stuck)

THANK YOU

(FINAL NOTE: I see that now you-(Mankiewiz, aussie gal & I guy I despise well over a decade in Dave Karkere-(he isastrickly pc & wouldn't know a cinefact if he did nt runb & look it up first)

Mr., Leonard Maltin-(l950-) is my A #$1 vote!   I';ve been studying him since early 1982, on tv's ET. & he's only gotten superior & mostly adores what we all love here in our TCM-ITES Hollywoods Golden Age/Studio-System-(circa mostly from 1925 through 1965)

EXAMPLE BELOW ARE HIS TOP 11-(he squeezed an extra one in for me when I snail-=mailed him, Ebert & Siskel_(never replied) & dig this I first caught hem channel surfing summer of 1979 praising BREAKING AWAY & then flowed Eb & Sis throughout all the other shows, until they got famous. & GMA's already gone Joel siegel he also wrote me back w/his top ten ever! #1 *CASABLANCA (l943), 2. M. FAKLCON (4l version of course), KANE (l94l), SINGIN'; IN THE RAIN (l852), THE 39 STEPS (1935 UK. version) 6. DUMBO (l941)-(I also justr adore this classic & coming up around March is Tim Burton's DUMBO II, 7th HIS GIRL FRIDAY (*l940), 8th A NIGHT AT THE OPERA (l935), 9. KING KONG ('33), 10th Maltin favorite MODERN TUIMES (l936) & 10th as well SWING

TIME (l936)

AND LEONARD'S-(he has a tonnage of books, including one's on THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF DISNEY & even the funniest of them all LOONEY TUNES & many more books coming!

AND NOPW JUST FOR LEONARD'S FUN-(like myself he adores making cinematic lists)

ACTORS:

*CHAPLIN-(also his idol!), CARY GRANT-(only 2 noms?) & 3rd *JIMMY STEWART

ACTRESSES:" *KATHARINE HEPBURN-(same as AFI's 1999 poll/.survey), *B. DAVIS & 3rd *A. Hepburn & AS FOR DIRECTORS & *CAPRA is another idol.

VS. MY OWN-I';ll keep it short like Mr. Maltin';s & again my choices not especially the best ever, just my

favorites)   YOIU DECIDE & MOSTLY THE TCM PROGRAMMING TEAM, PLEASE

1sty *"THE GODFTAHER-(l90l-90) TRILOGY & non-theatreical

2nd choice by Spencer "CAPTAINS COURAGEOUS" (l937-MGM) -(he was totally insecure about just make-up on film, but he had his trhen red hair dyed & to make matters worse *J. CRAWFOIRD yelled "O mY GOD, OU LOOK LIKE HARPO MARX" unquote  So *Do pence then priced daily in a blacked out limo right up to s. stage. BEWARE: His death scene ranks up easily with *CAGNEY'S & even KONG'S

4. *CASABLANCA (l943) (What is there to say at this late date, except one of Tinsel-Town's ultimate & greatest finales,. filmed actually at Burbank Airport & *Bogey-(nickname very close friend *TRACY gave him)

5h MODERN TIMES ('365) & where The Little Tramp not only made his final appearance as him, but he did 5 things, more then even *Welles, but coming was his own score-(not the lyrics yet  IT WAS THE SONG "SMILE!")

6th own favorite & it's DUMBO again-(but my runner-up from *Walt was the once $B.O.$ failure, though sooo had above it's time in FANTASIA (l941) I dub it THE CITIZEN KANE of Space &^ Animation

7,. IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE" (l946) I know folks are getting tired of it, but more utterly love *Capra's masterpiece, including both *Capra & *J. Stewart!)

8. VERTIGO (l958) (TRIVIA: & VERY, VERY, IMPORTANT JAZZ THAT I JUST CAN't ALONE. I'm certain you heard of the evety decade SIGHT & SOUND SURVEY-(this isan organization that started around '52 & as of 1962 KANE ruled the roost for 50yrs until in 2012 VERTUGO stunned all & upset *WELLES masterpiece!!!)

9. THE SEARCHERS (l956) (at first a $BN.O.$ failure, but in early '70's it truly gained momentum BIG-TIME & *JW & most of the few also thought it A #1 Western.  & in AFI's 10th anniversasrty survey from 07 it actually voted THE SEARCHERS all the way up from 2nd or 3rd street & hold him up, he went from 86th slot to #bottokm fllor & was not even hurt!

& 10th SPENCE Vs. MALTIN, please feel; free online or even on news-(*briefly) then theres the radio,. But & I DON"t CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS *JOHN FORD'S BEAUTFULLY MADE ON EVERY LEVEL IN IRELAND FROM 1952 THE QUIET MAN  Besides being a long in the process fight scene, also long in the tooth in bedding Maureen 0'Hara. *THE DUKE" couldn't have been more gentle in his romantic scenes & on a personal note, my last name is SHANNON listen tight for it here, on a train sequence & they mention THE RIVER SHANNON right near INSFREE!  (TRIVIA: 1935 Best Actor (again with *Ford in THE INFORMER)  *Academy Award Winner & a bull at that *V. McLaglen was 66 when he did those fight scenes & given I;m also a huge boxing buff, check out & just google, bing-(I use) & any others & only punch in first heavyweight boxing champ: Jack Johnson VS. the much stronger *McGlaglen, see though *Vic was muscle bound & was flattened in the 12th!!! I digress here, but it's boxing-(O know most barbaric since tHE ROMAN EMPIRE But Johnson-(1878-l946) killed in a car crash.

I MUST LIST MY 2 RUNNERS-UP AS AMERICAN FILM INSTITUTE-(AFI) always, hell, they counted down all 100 in '98's massive poll of movies & these were just top 25-(RULES were a start had to appear before or after 1950)

1st & foremost Leonard did blurt out his runners-up & what were they> SWING TIME & ???

HAVE NO TROUBLE RECALLING MY TOP 12 11th place is always CITY LIGHTS & A NIGHT AT THE OPERA 

NOW, all up to those reading & trying to digest this, FIRST OF ALL I NEED YOUR OWN FAVORITES & DON'T BE SCARED IF YOU CHOOSE A MOVIE LIKE>FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH (***) ($44m.,)

HERES THE THING I WONT' YOU POSSIBLE FILM STUDENTS TO THEN NOT ONLY COMPARE YOUR PIX VS LEONARD, BUT THE MASSIVE AMERICAN FILM INSTITUTE POL(AFI)  & TV SPECIALY FROM 1998   READY OR NOT HERE I WRITE/POST THE 2 AFI "100 YTEARS...100 MOVIES" (l998 poll of 100 films) & then, though it rarely got any credit/coverage was a garbage survey this time maybe more than in 1998. sewuek titled AFI'S 100yrs...100 Movies" 10th Anniversary survey & poll  This one didn;'t not have a law top vote on as man my at least  OK, LET'S GET IT TO IT, AGAION!

Today is Sunday. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

With all due respect, I find long and rambling posts like this difficult to assimilate in a single fell swoop and therefore not knowing quite where to begin in response. But I'm not good at determining favorites anyway and it would help if I were more prolific in my viewing. So I wouldn't be a good candidate for participation anyway.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, laffite said:

Today is Sunday. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

With all due respect, I find long and rambling posts like this difficult to assimilate in a single fell swoop and therefore not knowing quite where to begin in response. But I'm not good at determining favorites anyway and it would help if I were more prolific in my viewing. So I wouldn't be a good candidate for participation anyway.

lasffitre, you should still give it a little try, it may be fun?   THSANX THOUGH

5 hours ago, spence said:

WELP,. to quote fmr U.S.President REAGAN, or wasd it WELL? IT APPEARS NOT 1 TCM-ITE CHIMED IN ON THIS ONE FOR SOME REASON???

You only gave people one hour to reply before telling them they're not chiming in. That's hardly enough time. Try being a little more patient. :)

Yesterday I created a thread about well-known directors who have unknown films. Lawrence kindly replied but no one else did. Maybe future posters will find the thread later. But I didn't feel a need to go on to my thread and make a big production about people not posting on it.

13 minutes ago, drednm said:

I can't read long, rambling threads written in dubious English and filled with symbols and such. I have no idea what this thread is about.

I'm not sure what all the dollar signs are supposed to mean. :huh: That part really confuses me. 

1 hour ago, spence said:

lasffitre, you should still give it a little try, it may be fun?   THSANX THOUGH

Hey, I like the way the you spelt my name. Reminds me of none other that Herr Gustav Von Seyffertitz, who played the alchemist Neri (read: torturer) in Don Juan (1926) who reaped the benefit when that nasty old Estelle Taylor sent my sweet Mary Astor to him. She issued the order, saying, "Neri will be delighted." Your spelling might make me sound more formidable somehow. Not that I'm in to torture or anything.:ph34r:

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

lasffitre doesn't like fun. He likes opera. And baseball. At the same time? ??

True, the are rather disparate, seeming incompatible enthusiasms. I like that in myself but I also realize that I am desperately ignorant in other areas. If someone drops a name in pop music, my usual answer is, "Who?" In NYC a friend of mine named Valeria worked for Scribner's and was studying voice as well. We would talk Schubert while taking the No. 4 train to the Bronx for the Yankee game. She was fan's fan and I used to tell her that she could manage the Yankees if they would let her. Hey, Lawrence, great emojis, but I think I'm having more fun than that guy :P

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, laffite said:

We would talk Schubert while taking the No. 4 train to the Bronx for the Yankee game. 

I grew up in the Bronx. When I was a lad, you could get off the #4 train at 161st Street and watch the game from the platform. Until they blocked the view, and now I believe the new stadium is not in view from the platform.

But my friends and I occasionally did see parts of games that way; although we tended in those days to talk Shubert rather than Schubert.

22 minutes ago, laffite said:

Hey, I like the way the you spelt my name. Reminds me of none other that Herr Gustav Von Seyffertitz, who played the alchemist Neri (read: torturer) in Don Juan (1926) who reaped the benefit when that nasty old Estelle Taylor sent my sweet Mary Astor to him. She issued the order, saying, "Neri will be delighted." Your spelling might make me sound more formidable somehow. Not that I'm in to torture or anything.:ph34r:

True, the are rather disparate, seeming incompatible enthusiasms. I like that in myself but I also realize that I am desperately ignorant in other areas. If someone drops a name in pop music, my usual answer is, "Who?" In NYC a friend of mine named Valeria worked for Scribner's and was studying voice as well. We would talk Schubert while taking the No. 4 train to the Bronx for the Yankee game. She was fan's fan and I used to tell her that she could manage the Yankees if they would let her. Hey, Lawrence, great emojis, but I think I'm having more fun than that guy :P

I respect anyone who name-drops the Great Seyffertitz. 

That "Japanese goblin" emoji was supposed to be an opera singer. Maybe he looks angry because he expelled a baseball from his mouth.

lasffitre doesn't like fun. He likes opera. And baseball. At the same time? ??

Baseball and opera are sort of alike and so can be liked at the same time, IMHO.  Baseball is like opera in that it can seem to last a long time and be be sweeping and grand in scope like opera.  A slow trot around the bases after a home run is like an aria.  ?

11 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

Baseball and opera are sort of alike and so can be liked at the same time, IMHO.  Baseball is like opera in that it can seem to last a long time and be be sweeping and grand in scope like opera.  A slow trot around the bases after a home run is like an aria.  ?

I don't really have a problem with either opera or baseball. I've enjoyed several opera performances, although it's not something I actively seek out. And back when I watched sports, it was only baseball, but it's been about 2 decades since I stopped doing so. However, I did tour Yankee Stadium during one of my NYC trips. 

My (joking) point was to ask whether lasffitre enjoyed them both at the same time: listening to opera while watching baseball, or perhaps starting a baseball game during an opera.

9782ab97224056e281fb0f7a2c41b1d0.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChristineHoard said:

A slow trot around the bases after a home run is like an aria.  ?

I'll take the aria any ole day :)

2 hours ago, Swithin said:

I grew up in the Bronx. When I was a lad, you could get off the #4 train at 161st Street and watch the game from the platform. Until they blocked the view, and now I believe the new stadium is not in view from the platform

I envy that. My only look at the old and traditional Yankee Stadium was BW television on Game of the Week. I can still name the dimensions and what the fences looked like of that great old lost stadium. My last attendance there was a Sunday in '86 (after the first remodel, alas), the same day Jack Nicklaus won his last Masters. There was old crony baseball bar up the street (ole yankee fans) that had the same charm and atmosphere as the old stadium must have had.  Today it's probably a massive sports bar, if it's there at all.

My (joking) point was to ask whether lasffitre enjoyed them both at the same time: listening to opera while watching baseball, or perhaps starting a baseball game during an opera.

Oh ...

In '85 I attended Cyrano de Bergerac on stage (with Derek Jacobi) in Manhattan while listening to the Padres-Cubs playoff game on radio (headphones, of course.) Steve Garvey's famous homer that sunk the Cubs came in Act III. I didn't like doing this and the people who I was with were disgusted. Despite this aberration, the answer is no.;) Great Jif, btw.

I respect anyone who name-drops the Great Seyffertitz. 

That "Japanese goblin" emoji was supposed to be an opera singer. Maybe he looks angry because he expelled a baseball from his mouth.

...and I love the alternative moniker. Thank you Spence. I'll have to learn how to spell it.

Well, he looks like an opera singer. He could play the title role in Mefistofele or perhaps a similar role in Faust.

/

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings