Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Muppet Movies

David Guercio

FUN JAZZ THEY ARE! & the tragic & gone too soon Jim Henson bought out *CHGAPLIN'S own "DREAM FACTORY" on LaBrea & across from the famous LaBrea Tar Pits. actually *Chaplin had a belly full of the U.S., govt & on his way back to the states, he was told the feds took everything, so he said F it & sell everything,. including his own studio Used in The Circus, The Great Dictator-(most of all), M. Times & City Lights. Henson yrs later purchased it & to this day has a large statue/model of Kermit the Frog on frt gates!!! His ultimaste beef vs FBI started at a dinner table arguyment with non other then J. Edgar Hoover around 1923.

4 hours ago, David Guercio said:

Does anyone know which Muppet movies have aired here on TCM so far?

O-kayyy.....To ACTUALLY try and answer the question:  ?

The first two (the Movie and Great Muppet Caper) are owned by Disney, the third and fourth (Manhattan and Space) are owned by Sony, and the post-Jim Hensons (Christmas and Treasure Island) were after Disney bought them back again.  Labyrinth continues to be one of Sony's house darlings, while The Dark Crystal may be back with Disney again...It's all confusing.

Not sure which of those applies to TCM, but Sony Columbia films have been turning up more lately where the "unwanted" films turn up, so if any of them have or do show up, you're probably more like to see Space and Manhattan than the others.  And at least "Muppets Take Manhattan" was one of the "real" Muppet movies, unlike the bitter in-house Beatles-breakup that "Muppets From Space" ultimately turned into.

I-I-I-I-I-----don't know about counting THE DARK CRYSTAL as a "Muppet" movie.  Sure, Henson was involved with the "puppets" used in the film, but beyond that, "Muppet" brings something else to people's minds.  Just as one couldn't consider, because CHUCK JONES was involved with the animation and direction of "How The Grinch Stole Christmas",  that IT is a "Looney Toons" cartoon.  ;)

Sepiatone

11 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I-I-I-I-I-----don't know about counting THE DARK CRYSTAL as a "Muppet" movie.  Sure, Henson was involved with the "puppets" used in the film, but beyond that, "Muppet" brings something else to people's minds.  Just as one couldn't consider, because CHUCK JONES was involved with the animation and direction of "How The Grinch Stole Christmas",  that IT is a "Looney Toons" cartoon.  ;)

That's okay, I wouldn't consider "Labyrinth" a "Muppet movie" either, for pretty much the same reason.  (Even if Sony has beaten it into the ground as Default Sony Studio Kids' Film next to "Jumanji" for the last twenty years, and is already tossing around a house "reboot" based on the success of the other.)

Jim Henson in the 80's was like Walt Disney in the 60's--When Walt was so smitten with building technical marvels for his new park, he almost completely lost interest in animation, and left it to his best studio people to look after while he ran off to play with his new Animatronic toys.  In Henson's case, Jim was so convinced that mechanical-creature-effect lab The Creature Shop (they almost got the contract for the Jurassic Park dinos) was going to be the Lucas-like moneymaker for the company, he tried to RETIRE the Muppet Show characters, with "Muppets Take Manhattan" not only marrying off Kermit and Piggy, but introducing the Saturday-morning Muppet Babies as their new replacement.

"Labyrinth"--made back when Jim had a personal fan fetish for the look of Ridley Scott's "Legend", and hired the same designer--was going to be the new flagship, but tanked badly at the box office for being disorganized and butt-ugly, taking most of producer George Lucas's expansion plans with it.  And while the Creature Shop did try to do a few of the next Muppet shows, Jim went back to trying to revive Kermit & Co. for new TV shows.  (That's when we got Kermit in talk shows saying "Well, y'know, that 'marriage' stuff was just a movie...")

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings