Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which actor would YOU like to have a box set of?

None of these people have ever had a box set before. Other than maybe Marion Davies, with a remote possibility of John Gilbert, it's extremely unlikely that they ever will. Very sad.

1. John Gilbert

2. Colleen Moore

3. Marion Davies

4. Renee Adoree

5. Clara Bow

6. William Haines

7. Tom Mix

8. William S. Hart

9. Pola Negri

10. Laura La Plante

12. Eleanor Boardman

13. Richard Barthelmess

14. Evelyn Brent

15. Raymond Griffith

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Kid_Dabb wrote:}{quote}

> > Bette Davis

>

> Didn't they already release 2 or 3 Bette Davis boxsets? :P

Possibly, but I have none.

edonline,

Harold Lloyd has a great box set out right now. A 7 disc collection released in November of 2005. It is still in print. Issued by New-Line Entertainment, but that has since been absorbed into Warner Brothers.

Where is Mary Pickford? She has had allot of movies on DVD, but never a big box set of restored titles. Especially, this being the 30th Anniversary year of Mary's death back in 1979, it's very surprising, and disappointing that nothing seems to be in the works?

> {quote:title=Kid_Dabb wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> > > {quote:title=Kid_Dabb wrote:}{quote}

> > > Bette Davis

> >

> > Didn't they already release 2 or 3 Bette Davis boxsets? :P

> Possibly, but I have none.

Ah, I see. Well I checked on ammy, there are 4 Bette Davis sets altogether - 3 from WHV and 1 from Fox. Hope you'll be able to get one (or more) of them soon! :D

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> 1. Gloria Grahame

> 2. Gene Tierney

> 3. Linda Darnell

> 4. Robert Ryan

> 5. Ava Gardner

Huh...how did Robert Ryan sneak into that lineup of dames? Did he steal Joan Bennett's place?

;)

My wants:

Gene Tierney

Ray Milland

Paul Douglas

I also would love to see a boxed set or sets devoted to the great character actors, like Thelma Ritter or James Gleason. Unfortunately, that'll never happen.

Di

Ohh, heck, I'm now beaming after hearing what Sylvia Sidney just said about

Fritz Lang. You gotta like a smart dame. Maybe that's why I like you so much. Hmmmm...

Huh...how did Robert Ryan sneak into that lineup of dames? Did he steal Joan Bennett's

place?

:D You know me too well. I was trying to be a little realistic. But I'd LOVE to see a box

set of Joan films:

Secret Beyond the Door (Universal)

The Reckless Moment (Columbia)

The Macomber Affair (United Artists)

The Woman on the Beach (RKO)

Confirm or Deny (Fox)

That's not looking good, is it? I'll take individual releases... please!

And of the ones I listed, I'd say Ava has the greatest chance of being realistic, although

Gene and Linda would be the easiest to put together since they were Fox gals. Fox

doesn't seem to put out many classic box sets, though. They did give Tyrone Power his due, so maybe there's hope.

My wants:

Gene Tierney

Ray Milland

Paul Douglas

Gene Tierney? You? Yeah, I definitely like you because you're a smart dame with great taste.

And I can go for a Paramount Milland box with Ministry of Fear and

The Uninvited. I don't care what other titles are in the box after that. :)

And where's your Richard Conte box?

I also would love to see a boxed set or sets devoted to the great character actors, like

Thelma Ritter or James Gleason. Unfortunately, that'll never happen.

A Thelma box? Bring it on, girl!

These actors more than deserve to have box sets:

Tom Mix

Fredric March

Charlton Heston

Fred MacMurray

Robert Taylor

Joel McCrea

Alan Ladd

Yul Brynner

Steve Cochran

Pat O'Brien

Walter Pidgeon

Tony Curtis

Robert Conrad

Clint Walker

Lee Majors

George Segal

John Forsythe

Thomas Ince

Raoul Walsh

William Desmond Taylor

Anatole Litvak

Johnny Mack Brown

FrankGrimes wrote: Ohh, heck, I'm now beaming after hearing what Sylvia Sidney just said about Fritz Lang. You gotta like a smart dame. Maybe that's why I like you so much. Hmmmm...

Flattery will get you nowhere. ;)

:D You know me too well. I was trying to be a little realistic. But I'd LOVE to see a box

set of Joan films:

Secret Beyond the Door (Universal)

The Reckless Moment (Columbia)

The Macomber Affair (United Artists)

The Woman on the Beach (RKO)

Confirm or Deny (Fox)

That's not looking good, is it? I'll take individual releases... please!

It is too bad her work is so spread out among studios.

And of the ones I listed, I'd say Ava has the greatest chance of being realistic, although

Gene and Linda would be the easiest to put together since they were Fox gals.

We can but hope.

Gene Tierney? You? Yeah, I definitely like you because you're a smart dame with great taste.

I love Gene Tierney. She was such a warm beauty, and yet she could play the coldhearted witch with complete believability.

And I can go for a Paramount Milland box with Ministry of Fear and

The Uninvited. I don't care what other titles are in the box after that. :)

Great minds and all that -- The Uninvited is numero uno on my list of Milland movies, with Alias Nick Beal second and Lady in the Dark third.

And where's your Richard Conte box?

Alas...poor Richard. The only movie of his I'm a'hankerin' for is Full of Life. But that's probably better in a Judy Holliday boxed set.

Di

Message was edited by: Di for errors

> {quote:title=brandoalways4ever wrote:}{quote}

> I'm still hoping they'll get box sets. It's ridiculous that neither have yet. They are legends. Maybe we could star a petition??

I guess a petition couldn't possibly hurt. ;)

> Great minds and all that -- The Uninvited is numero uno on my list of Milland movies, with Alias Nick Beal second and Lady in the Dark third.

>

_Terrific_ idea, dianabat!! I would do anything for a set like that... I'd even sell my soul to Nick Beal. ;)

Wow! I didn't expect so many responses!

I love getting boxed sets, but it seems that only the really well known stars have box sets.

I'd like to get a Robert Montgomery, William Holden, Robert Donat, Norma Shearer, Jean Harlow, Barbara Stanwyck, Margaret Sullivan, Jean Arthur box set!

Stanwyck does have a box set already and for years one has been promised for Jean Harlow and I think it may finally be released in the next year or two.

The person I think deserves one the most is *Clara Bow*. She is pitifully underrepresented on dvd. Unfortunately the bulk of her work are silents still owned by Paramount and they're probably using the film reels to even out wonky table legs or some other such "useful" purpose since they don't actually care about them.

> {quote:title=coopsgirl wrote:}{quote}

> The person I think deserves one the most is *Clara Bow*. She is pitifully underrepresented on dvd. Unfortunately the bulk of her work are silents still owned by Paramount and they're probably using the film reels to even out wonky table legs or some other such "useful" purpose since they don't actually care about them.

One could only hope that if most of her films would fall in the public domain... well, maybe then we could see a Clara Bow boxset.

I personally would love to see more box sets that include films that were not an actor or actresses biggest hits or most well known performances. We've all seen the most popular films of screen stars, but sometimes the lesser known of their works can be quite intriguing.

I would also like to see more couple pairing DVD sets. Take Clark Gable for instance. He made 8 films with Joan Crawford, 7 with Myrna Loy (who I really love to watch) and 6 with Jean Harlow. Those are DVD collections right there. I know they do have some pairing DVD's (like Ginger Rogers with Fred Astaire, for ex.), but there were so many wonderful actors who shared great screen chemistry.