Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Saving Private Ryan and Other Modern Films

> {quote:title=hamradio wrote:}{quote}

> I think you are right, "Saving Private Ryan" is simply too recent of a movie to show on TCM, better for it to air on AMC. I do beleive that with the test of time "Saving Private Ryan" will be a *classic* (some beleives its already so). My goodnes its 11 years old *already?* Time needs to slow down a little!

>

> I do like the movie very much, watched it 3 times so far on other premium channels. I won't watch it edited though.

But AMC would chop it to bits, and show it panned and scanned. Besides the premium channels, TCM is the only station station which would show it intact. When ABC showed it unedited a few years back, a company which owns a number of ABC affiliates in large cities (Sinclair) refused to air it.

Message was edited by: karlofffan

karlofffan wrote:

<< a company which owns a number of ABC affiliates in large cities (Sinclair) refused to air it. >>

Sinclair's motives looks a bit like politics to me.

My ABC station did aired it. Not so snobbish I guess.

> {quote:title=markbeckuaf wrote:}{quote}

> Consider yourself pilloried! ;)

>

> "Stickin' to my guns" Mark

Fine. But I'm not taking responsiblity for *Goodfellas* on the 19^th^, OK?

Kyle In Hollywood

> I think you are right, "Saving Private Ryan" is simply too recent of a movie to show on TCM, better for it to air on AMC.

In order to see classic films like ?Dead End? (1937), ?These Three? (1936), and ?The Little Foxes? (1941), we had to set our recorders for early in the morning, while modern films like ?Saving Private Ryan? are on in Prime Time, even though they?ve been shown already on many other channels over the past several years.

TCM is gambling on convincing younger viewers to beg their daddies to sign up for the more expensive second or third tier of cable or satellite service, and they are gambling that we classic film fans will just record what we want to see, but they are beginning to irritate classic movie fans.

Already there have been ?coming up on the Fox Movie Channel? threads, and threads for other classic movie channels, on this TCM message board.

You're forgetting a couple of very important factors that have a great deal to do with when TCM schedules new movies, versus old ones: the channel is paying a much higher fee to telecast a film like SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, making it essential that they air it during hours that will attract the largest audience. Older films like THESE THREE are part of multi-film packages that permit multiple or unlimited showings during the term of the deal with the copyright owner, whereas a PRIVATE RYAN may be contracted for on a film-by-film, and showing-by-showing, basis for which the channel must pay each time.

PS: "Saving Private Ryan" is simply too recent of a movie to show on TCM." I honestly don't understand why americans keep dropping the superfluous word "of" into sentences of this construction. It should read "...too recent a movie to show on TCM."

Hey Fred, *Congratulations* you just past the 10,000th post (actually 10,001 on June 7, 2009 at 6:53pm for future reference). How did you find the time, lol.

I took a screen snapshot. Something today to smile about.

SmileyCentral.comimage.gif

> {quote:title=CineSage_jr wrote:}{quote}

> You're forgetting a couple of very important factors that have a great deal to do with when TCM schedules new movies, versus old ones: the channel is paying a much higher fee to telecast a film like SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, making it essential that they air it during hours that will attract the largest audience.

And what does that tell you? It tells you that if you run a Classic Film channel, that people are paying extra for, you DON?T waste your money renting modern movies that have already shown dozens of times on other channels during the past 12 years.

> Hey Fred, *Congratulations* you just past the 10,000th post (actually 10,001 on June 7, 2009 at 6:53pm for future reference). How did you find the time, lol.

Thanks. I didn?t notice. Anyway, I?m retired, and I have to keep a constant watch over my goods. :)

2453347305_327de3a0d4.jpg?v=0

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

>But I'm not taking responsiblity for *Goodfellas* on the 19^th^, OK?

Well, !@#$#@. Who the !@#$@ is gonna take the !@#$%^@

responsibility for this @#$%^&*&^% film? And how did those !#$^%$@#$ superscripts get in there? How in the !@#$#@!#$ did that happen?

*"Sinclair's motives looks a bit like politics to me."* - hamradio

While Sinclair Broadcasting has notorious political leanings, I think this time it was all about money/advertising. Not only was ABC showing the film uncut, I believe there was only going to be one commercial break during the entire presentation. That was a lot of Sunday evening ad revenue being tossed out by a local affiliate for a Network presentation.

Kyle (but I could be wrong) In Hollywood

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=hamradio wrote:}{quote}

> > Hey Fred, *Congratulations* you just past the 10,000th post (actually 10,001 on June 7, 2009 at 6:53pm for future reference). How did you find the time, lol.

>

> Thanks. I didnt notice. Anyway, Im retired, and I have to keep a constant watch over my goods. :)

>

> 2453347305_327de3a0d4.jpg?v=0

Fred, you crack me up!! I'm glad you're here.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=CineSage_jr wrote:}{quote}

> > You're forgetting a couple of very important factors that have a great deal to do with when TCM schedules new movies, versus old ones: the channel is paying a much higher fee to telecast a film like SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, making it essential that they air it during hours that will attract the largest audience.

>

> And what does that tell you? It tells you that if you run a Classic Film channel, that people are paying extra for, you DONT waste your money renting modern movies that have already shown dozens of times on other channels during the past 12 years.

That might be a valid argument if TCM had exclusive deals with the studios and copyright holders from whom they lease the films they show, but they don't. A lot of the films shown on TCM play in syndication and on cable channels such as Encore.

> {quote:title=CineSage_jr wrote:}{quote}

> "Saving Private Ryan" is simply too recent of a movie to show on TCM." I honestly don't understand why americans keep dropping the superfluous word "of" into sentences of this construction. It should read "...too recent a movie to show on TCM."

The same reason why Americans won't use adverbs. They'll say, "don't take it personal" (personally) or "hey, drive slow" (slowly). Considering the youth of today have accepted mumbling "baby talk" as their language, I've dropped quibbling over grammar. (hey mah, whassup, I goie to da stoe)

I am so relieved to know I'm not the only one who thinks SPR is crap. I think Hanks is a talentless blob and generally dislike Spielburg's work. People have actually urged me to see SPR to change my opinions of them. I did watch the interview Fri night and when I saw a few clips of SPR, I knew it was nothing I'd want to see. Just awful.

Spielburg seems to have so much talent (and money & power), I wish he'd learn some finesse.

> {quote:title=TikiSoo wrote:}{quote}

> Spielburg seems to have so much talent

If I remember my german correctly, "burg" means "town" (e.g., St. Petersburg) while "berg" means "rock" (e.g., iceberg). In any event, it's "Spielberg."

I always have trouble with "Marshal" (e.g., Dillon) and "Marshall" (e.g., Marshall).

I think Saving Private Ryan is a good, but not great film. I think the scene with the old man at the cemetary at the beginning is very moving. The rest is a pretty stock John Wayne film bookended between two exciting battle scenes.

TCM has definitely educated me in regards to movies and films from before 1960. I don't mind seeing films from the 70s. The 80s is starting to push it. I don't think TCM is going the way of AMC. It doesn't look like Halle Berry's Catwoman is on the schedule anytime soon.

The point is the TCM is the only channel that truly loves movies and shows its audiences the history of film. From the popular to obsure titles to the older and more recent titles. You can't get that on other channels. It's that simple yet everyone still can't seem to figure it out.

Since 'spiel' means game in German, everything turns out well anyway. I don't have a

problem with TCM showing more recent movies. Goodfellas is almost twenty years

old, and is one of the best modern mafia films. It will start at 1:30 a.m. so I presume

the *&%#@&% will fly, though I can't see Joe Pesci as a Star of the Month anytime

soon. I hope TCM won't do a History Channel, which apparently couldn't make money

by televising history programs and came up with all kinds of junk as a substitute.