Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"I Know Where I'm Going!"

Tobermory

I've been asking around to all the people I know, and none have seen this movie! It's not easy being young, and in love with classic movies; no one knows what I'm talking about! I wanted to hear people's opinions on "I Know Where I'm Going!", my all-time favorite movie. It's one that's perhaps not as well known and appreciated as it should be.

Hi, tobermory! Welcome to the forums! :)

In addition to whatever comments you get in this thread, you may also want to take a look at the thread on all films by Powell & Pressburger:

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=134962&tstart=0

I've always thought it's one of the best British films of the 40s, as well as one of the undisputed gems of the P&P films, and also one of Wendy Hiller's best performances. All of the locations are also very lovely, really making you feel like you're right there in the Western Isles (I think that's where it was).

Funny, but I have seen this movie twice. I loved everything about it: Wendy Hiller's coldness, her resignation to marry money, the cottage, and the dogs, and guy chasing after that falcon, or hawk, or eagle, the rich people's house and the tradition of the family and all connected with them, their falling for each other dispite all their efforts, Wendy's stupidity trying to leave in a gale!

It is a great representation of British film at that point in time, and Wendy Hiller is one of my favorite Brits, although I have only seen her in Pygmallion, Separate Tables, I Know Where I'm Going, Toys in the Attic, A Man for All Seasons, and two made for television specials: Miss Morrison's Ghost, and All Passion Spent.

• 4 months later...

Tobermory, from the opening scene in the nightclub to the plaid dream on the train, from the nut brown maiden at the diamond wedding anniversary and the mermaid wearing the wedding gown, to the final scene at the top of Moy Castle, this movie has been my favourite for many years. The ending always, always makes me cry, and I can't wait to watch it with my children. It's romantic, breathtaking, funny and charming. Plain and simple: best movie ever.

Archived