Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can you do it? Favorite Film in each Decade and Why? 20's to Present Day.

This may be hard but worth every minute. I found that forcing my self to pick one a decade made me see each film in a way I never did before. The 40's was the toughest for me. Sooooooo many great movies. I didn't write my opinions yet because I didn't want to sway anyones answers. I hope you find this as interesting and fun as I did.

'20's SUNRISE, because of its visual beauty

'30's...GONE WITH THE WIND, because of its sheer power, acting and scope

'40's...LAURA, the music, the stars, the birth of Film Noir

'50's...PICNIC, Truly a fifties story. Poignant and sexy as Hell

'60's...THE SERVANT, edgy, daring. Blazed the path.

'70's...CHINATOWN, One of the greatest films in history. Detailed perfection

'80's...E.T., The birth of animation in adult film, A wonderful beginning.

'90's...SCHINDLER'S LIST, a story that needed to be told. Beautifully, shockingly

'00's...MILK, another story that needed to be told, The continuation should be in the works...up

until White's suicide.

20s: The Man Who Laughs - emotionally powerful and Connie Veidt's brilliant performance.

30s: M - a film way before its time; love the dark look and theme, and social commentary.

40s: Scarlet Street - mesmerizing story of foolishness; great performances.

50s: 12 Angry Men - the film speaks to my sensibilities; excellent tension.

60s: Cape Fear - terrifyingly tense; Robert Mitchum is captivating.

70s: Star Wars - Loved it as a kid and I still love it today. Darth Vader.

80s: Top Secret! - The film that makes me laugh the most.

90s: Fargo - love the mix of comedy and terror, love the snowy look of the film, and Frances McDormand is wonderful.

00s: No Country for Old Men - the most tense film I have ever seen; love the philosophy behind it. The look is dark and cold; quite chilling.

Second Place:

20s: Diary of a Lost Girl

30s: The Invisible Man

40s: Out of the Past

50s: Pickup on South Street

60s: Once Upon a Time in the West

70s: Smokey and the Bandit

80s: Better Off Dead

90s: Barton Fink

00s: Donnie Darko

10's - *Cabinet of Dr. Caligari* - Unbelieveably imaginative movie, Conrad Veidt

20's - *The Crowd* - emotionally powerful, James Murray's incredibly realistic and heartbreaking performance

30's - *My Man Godfrey* - It's the best screwball comedy that was ever made, Lombard is incandescent .

40's - *The Miracle of Morgan's Creek* - It's got everything - wit, slapstick, pathos, topicality, boldness, and it's sweet.

50's *Wagon Master* -The epitome of the small heroic 50's western, but with some real surprises. It has Ben Johnson (sigh). My hero.

60's - *The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance* - The kind of movie that makes you think about it long afterwards. Even those who don't like westerns like this movie.

70's - *Harold and Maude* - dark humored, emotional love story, with a totally 70's subversive viewpoint.

80's - *Do the Right Thing* - another film that leaves you thinking. What was the right thing? Spike Lee doesn't tell you.

90's - *Lone Star* - Complicated but human story intersecting different groups of people tied together by an imperfect past.

2000's - *Curse of the Were Rabbit* - The only movie I've been to in the last ten years that got a standing ovation.

Backup list:

10's - *Birth of a Nation*

20's - *Flesh and the Devil*

30's - *The Informer*

40's - *Brief Encounter/ The Third Man*

50's - *The Ladykillers*

60's - *Cool Hand Luke*

70's - *The Man Who Would Be King*

80's - *Raising Arizona/Local Hero*

90's - *L.A. Confidential*

2000's - *Oh Brother Where art Thou*

Message was edited by: JackFavell

Almost impossible. I'll pick one, but I MUST inlclude a runner-up!

20s - *The Crowd* It's just one of my favorite films. So well made. Engrossing story and performances, and visually interesting to watch.

Runner-up - *The Kid* If you've seen it, you know why!

30s - *Gone With the Wind* Many films are as good, but none are better. Plus, Vivien Leigh's performance is in a class by itself. A combination of stage, silent film and a unique style that is all her own!

Runner-up *The Wizard of Oz* - a no-brainer runner-up!

40s - *Spellbound* Hitchcock, the music, those faces!

Runner-up *The Snake Pit* - Olivia de Havilland's finest performance from a long list of fine performances!

50s - *The Day the Earth Stood Still* I love the acting, the score, the story and the intelligence with which it is told.

Runner-up - *Auntie Mame* - Perfection from Rosalind Russell, Coral Browne, Peggy Cass and Joanna Barnes!

60s - My favorite decade for film. When asked what my favorite film is, I always say it's a tie, between *The Sound of Music* and *The Birds*. Given the fact that can only pick one, I'll go with *The Sound of Music*. It has the greatest opening of any motion picture, and it never, ever let's you down. It knows exactly what it is, and it is perfectly presented. And, Julie Andrews' performance is the finest of the decade. And this is the same decade that includes Anne Bancroft's stunning Annie Sullivan! Why Julie Andrews? Because not another actress could have done what she did in that film. Everything else being equal, the same cast, director, locations, orchestrations, etc., and any other actress, and the film would not have been the enduring classic it became. It just wouldn't have been the same. Besides, the film was life-altering for me. I so fell in love with its locale, I moved there!

Runner-up - *The Birds*, naturally. But it could just as easily have been *Village of the Damned*, *The Music Man*, *The Miracle Worker*, *Mary Poppins* or a hundred others!

70s - *Carrie* - The performances from Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie are Oscar-worthy. The direction by Brian De Palma is masterful (I could watch the entire prom sequence, every day of my life!), and Pino Donaggio's score is my favorite of the decade.

Runner-up *Rocky* - A truly wonderful, little picture that could, and did! It deserved all its success. It still thrills!

80s - *Blow Out* - John Travolta's finest performance, another dynamite sore by Donaggio and brilliant visuals from De Palma.

Runner-up *The Terminator* - Wonderfully exciting and innovative. The film's pace took my breath away. I still love it.

90s - *The Mummy* - The greatest adventure film ever made! Brilliantly performed by its cast. The perfect screen hero and the perfect screen heroine, with a tremendous score by the film world's most versatile composer, Jerry Goldsmith. I LOVE this film!

Runner-up *The Sixth Sense* - Compelling, scary and filled with human emotion. A beautiful motion picture.

00s - *Femme Fatale* - With the exception of about 5 minutes, the film is a visual masterpiece!

Runner-up *Spider-Man* - The best of all the comic book film adaptations! I also equally liked Part 3 of the series.

This was really hard for some decades (40s, 50s) and really easy for others. And

I have to say the choices for the 40s and 50s could easily change according to

my mood. :)

20s: *3 Bad Men* (1926) directed by John Ford. Visual, emotional, meaningful and

extraordinarily exciting. It's brought me more pure enjoyment and delight than any

other silent.

30s: *Gone with the Wind* (1939) directed by Victor Fleming. Quite simply my

pick for the best example of classical Hollywood filmaking at it's richest and

most entertaining. It also features my favorite actress and one of my favorite

actors.

40s: This was really difficult, but I will go with *Rebecca* (1940) directed by Alfred

Hitchcock. I can't be sure, but it may be the movie of the decade I have watched

the most frequently and never tire of, nor do I tire of the novel it captures so perfectly.

50s: *The Searchers* (1957) directed by John Ford. Again, it was difficult to choose

just one favorite but at the moment, this is the one that affects me most powerfully.

60s: *The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance* (1962) directed by John Ford. There is a

definite pattern here...If I had to choose only one movie per director, this is the one

that would stay. I just feel like I know this film down to the last frame and mostly by

instinct or osmosis or something, not because I've analyzed it all that much. I feel

closest to understanding Ford's most primal emotions and point of view from this movie.

It was tough, though, to choose between this and The Misfits.

70s: *The Tamarind Seed* (1974) directed by Blake Edwards. One of my favorite

love stories. The ranks start to get noticably thin for me after this point.

80s: *Out of Africa* (1985) directed by Sidney Pollack. The setting, the subject

and the score. Ravishing.

90s: *Emma* (1996) directed by Douglas McGrath. My favorite Jane Austen

film adaptation surprisingly made in the 90s.

00s: Gladiator (2000) directed by Ridley Scott. Wonderfully heroic performance

by Russell Crowe. Makes me think he could have had a career in the 50s; a real

throwback. He should get back in shape and do a prequel. :D

> {quote:title=johnm_001 wrote:}{quote}

> Miss G, I LOVE your 60s and 70s choices. Why won't TCM show *The Tamarind Seed*???!!!

Hi John,

If they do a tribute to Omar Shariff, Julie Andrews or Blake Edwards they certainly should

broadcast The Tamarind Seed. Or they could salute John Barry, since it's one of my favorite of all his scores or choose a line-up of cold-war spy thrillers or even 70s romance movies.

It fits into any of those possible "spotlight" categories.

Ezzo, what a great idea. Until doing this challenge I'd never realized how many of my favorites are from 1950-1965, a golden age in Hollywood and abroad. On the other hand, I had to scramble for the last four decades, especially the 1980s. Finally I picked the film from that decade I've seen the most. As MissGoddess says, some of these choices, especially for the 50s and 60s, could change with my mood. Scarlett or Groucho? Gene Kelly or those trucks with nitroglycerine in The Wages of Fear? What crazy alternatives.

20s: PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC - Falconetti + Dreyer's images = grace

30s: GONE WITH THE WIND - endlessly fascinating characters

40s: CITIZEN KANE - the sheer joy of filmmaking

50s: SINGIN' IN THE RAIN - comedy, athleticism, joie de vivre

60s: KING RAT - the social and moral order turned upside down, a supremely intelligent film, everything reflected in James Fox's face

70s: FOUL PLAY - keeps finding new sources of hilarity and new sources of suspense

80s: THE BIG CHILL - comedy, drama, a good study of people in groups

90s: THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER - action, suspense, great characters

00s: BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN - the winner by default; star-crossed lovers, great scenery

Runners-up:

20s: The Gold Rush

30s: Duck Soup

40s: Children of Paradise

50s: La Strada, Vertigo, Some Like It Hot, The Wages of Fear, Smiles of a Summer Night, The Furies

60s: L'Avventura, The Manchurian Candidate, Lawrence of Arabia, The Hill

70s: North Dallas Forty, The Mother and the ****

80s: Experience Preferred But Not Essential, The Empire Strikes Back

90s: The Crying Game, Un Coeur en Hiver, The Dreamlife of Angels

00s: Sideways

This one is fun! :D

10's: *Intolerance*

20's: *The Phantom of the Opera*

30's: *The Adventures of Robin Hood*

40's: *Casablanca*

50's: *Vertigo*

60's: *The Graduate*

70's: *Star Wars*

80's: *Back to the Future*

90's: *Forrest Gump*

00's: *Pan's Labyrinth*

Runners up:

10's: *The Oyster Princess*

20's: *Greed*

30's: *The Wizard of Oz*

40's: *Double Indemnity*

50's: *Singin' in the Rain*

60's: *Lawrence of Arabia*

70's: *The Godfather Part II*

80's: *Who Framed Roger Rabbit*

90's: *That's Entertainment! III*

00's: *Kill Bill*

Great idea for a thread, Ezzo - and welcome to the forum! :)

This was very hard for me. All opinion of coarse.

20's- The Kid

-Charlie Chaplin has a better understanding of motion and emotion than anyone has or will likely have.

30's- The Champ

-The stories heart. Reality. Hope. Tragedy. The magic caught of film between The Champ and his son.

40's- Nightmare Alley

-This is my favorite movie of all time. LOL I guess it's impossible to say that but it is way up there. The movie DOES NOT feature any of my favorite Writers, Directors, Actors, Actress', ect... But, the movie has so much depth. There's so much at stake. The characters are unique and each individual arch is perfect for each character. The dynamic between characters is flawless. A dark portrayal of how money and power corrupts, which is one of the greatest human struggles. Also in my opinion the best film Tyrone Power did. I recommend it highly.

50's- A Face in the Crowd

-What can I say about this film? I can say enough. It's the same reason Nightmare Alley spoke to me. The struggle for good people to stay good when power gives them the chance to go astray. This movie has one of the greatest film characters ever created. "Lonesome". It's dark, meaningful, entertaining and brilliant. Unlike Nightmare Alley this film features one of my favorite Directors (Elia Kazan), one of my favorite Actresses (Patricia Neal), one of my favorite Actors (Walter Matthau), and Andy Griffith in what I believe is his best film role.

60's- West Side Story

-I'm a huge fan of all theatre. I've worked in Musical theatre for years now and anyone who has knows West Side Story changed Musical theatre forever. Brilliant. It's also one of only adaptations from stage to film that I can even tolerate.

70's-Godfather Part II

-WOW! This movie is one of the all time greats. To me it is the only movie to be better than the first in any saga, trilogy or sequel. Also one of my favorite Directors (Francis Ford Coppola). The line up of actors and actress' is unmatched; mind you without losing the film in ego which unfortunately happens when all star casts are formed. The depth, visually stunning, heart wrenching... Amazing.

80's- The Breakfast Club

-Any movie the so perfectly depicts an era, along with real human emotion and struggle deserves much recognition. Also one of my favorite writer/directors John Hughes. Realism, charming and fun.

90's- Cinema Paradiso

-This is a bias choice as well. My father was a projectionist in a small indie film theatre under the Plaza Hotel N.Y.C. I saw this movie about a young boy and projectionist and fell in love with it. A must see for any film lover. Written perfectly. Simple and profound.

00's- Gangs of New York

-Epic. Martin Scorsese is one of my favorite Directors, taught by another one of my favorite Directors (Akira Kurosawa). Gangs of New York shows that Kurosawa's mastery is still alive and strong within a student who surpassed his teacher. This movie should have won Scorsese the Oscar for best Director. He got it later for The Departed, which I feel is not even close to the same caliber movie. Gangs of New York had everything including great source material, great screenplay, Director, Cinematography, Sound Track, Actors and Actress' ect... Two of my favorite actors are in this movie Daniel Day Lewis and Brendan Gleeson. Daniel Day Lewis gives a performance only matched in his career by Christy Brown in My Left Foot.

The only alternates I could give are:

00's- Brick

Love this movie. It has it's own voice, tone and quality unique on to itself, though with a classic film Noir nostalgia and seduction not seen in movies today. The Sound Track is amazing and haunting. Can't wait for The Brothers Bloom.

90's- The Fisher King

-This is right next to Nightmare Alley on my list of favorite films of all time. Robin Williams is remarkable, along with Jeff Bridges and the late Michael Jeter. The story makes you laugh and cry at the same time.

40's-Philadelphia Story, It's a Wonderful Life and Fantasia

-There are many reasons and the 40's were very hard for me. I think all of these movie possess

the best of their genres. Fantasia was ground breaking. It's a Wonderful Life is timeless and one of the greatest feel good movies ever made.

20's- Nosferatu

-This movie probably did more for the progression of film than The Kid, but in the end... Charlie Chaplin.

Other note worthy movies- October Sky, The Last Temptation of Christ, Night of the Hunter, Big Country, O Brother Where Art Thou, Harvey, What a Way to Go, Road to Perdition and Charade.

Cool Hand Luke, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and Raising Arizona are outstanding. I want to see The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. My pre 20's film knowledge is lacking. O Brother Where Art Thou is one of my favorites.

The Kid... I've seen it. Huge Chaplin fan. The Wizard of Oz and The Snake Pit are great. The Snake Pit is tense and engrossing. Spellbound is wonderful. I saw the Dali exhibit at the Moma not too long ago. Spellbound was playing on a wall in the exhibit. I'm always captivated by that movie.

Thank you. I'm happy people seem to like the idea. I just did it for fun one day and realized how much it teaches you about your tastes and like you mentioned, the era that speaks to you. Citizen Kane, Hunt for the Red October, Some Like it Hot and Sideways are some of the movies I own and love. Duck Soup and The Gold Rush are amazing and I need to watch them right now. I have never seen King Rat, but have heard great things. Don't hate me. I will soon and be i'll be in touch.

Phantom! Why didn't I think of Phantom.?! Thank you. I'm glad you like it. I need to add to my knowledge of pre 20's film. I will check out Intolerance. i like every movie on your main list and most of the second making me think I should see the ones I haven't. The Adventures of Robin Hood is the best Robin Hood hands down. Also I'm glad Who Framed Roger Rabbit got a nod. Well deserved.

1920's THE BIG PARADE (1925) One of the top five movies ever made in my opinion, and still not out on DVD. Greater than ALL QUITE ON THE WESTERN FRONT, and GONE WITH THE WIND if you ask me.

A good runner up would be SEVENTH HEAVEN (1927). But I could list several other Silents. Semi-different genre Favorite Silent Comedy THE FRESHMAN (1925), Dark Horse favorite Silent Comedy TWO ARABIAN KNIGHTS (1927)

1930's CITY LIGHTS 1931 (Chaplin). Also several of the Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers films of that decade. SWING TIME, or TOP HAT probably being my favorites.

1940's Tough Call? Maybe COVER GIRL (1944). Could have listed several more films here.

1950's Hard To Say? I really like GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDS (1953)

1960's THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE. This is a long time favorite, and has never shown on TCM.

1970's YANKS (1979) Loved this movie. I thought the best film of that year, and it wasn't even nominated for an Oscar. Same goes for HANOVER STREET, which was a wonderful picture. Actually, those two or pretty close. I give YANKS a slight edge though. Both are underrated.

I could have listed one of several films, but I won't. (If I had said DOC SAVAGE: THE MAN OF BRONZE, people would have gasped! But I loved the film when I was nine years old in 1975.)

1980's ????

1990's???? (Who Cares!)

Present: (Bleach!)

Yes, The Phantom of the Opera didn't come to mind right away, but when it did, I knew it was one of the movies from the 20s that I'd known the longest and appreciated probably longer than almost any other 20s film.

But more recently, I'm very happy to have discovered Mark of Zorro with the great Douglas Fairbanks.

60's- West Side Story

-I'm a huge fan of all theatre. I've worked in Musical theatre for years now and anyone who has knows West Side Story changed Musical theatre forever. Brilliant. It's also one of only two adaptations from stage to film that I can even tolerate. The other is On the Town. I'm bias. I'm a theatre person.

You're a fan of theater but you love *On the Town*??? The film completely destroys the theatrical source material. It replaces Leonard Bernstein's brilliant score with completely inferior tunes. What about it do you like?

I just can't believe that No one else has picked *THE BIG PARADE.* Literally puts many so called and undeservedly better known classic films to utter shame. Not just Silent films. Truly a landmark motion picture!

"It's also one of only two adaptations from stage to film that I can even tolerate. The other is On the Town."

Tolerate

Tolerate

Tolerate

Tolerate

It's not the best representation of the work. Just entertaining on it's own and was filmed for the most part in New York on location which hadn't really been done before that for musical films. The difficulty of filming outside a sound stage must have been overwhelming. Also, Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra. I appreciate your opinion.

Jeff-

I waffled over it for about an hour, going between TBP, Sunrise and The Crowd.The twenties were my hardest choice. In the end I picked The Crowd because I had seen it recently. On another day, I probably would have picked TBP.