Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
HollywoodGolightly

Any Don Ameche fans?

We don't get to see much of Ameche on TCM because he made so many movies at Fox, but thank goodness, tonight is a special night with a movie starring the great Don Ameche - and other big Fox stars:

*Alexander's Ragtime Band* (1938) 8pm ET

A forward thinking bandleader fights to make ragtime respectable.

Cast: Tyrone Power, Alice Faye, Don Ameche, Ethel Merman Dir: Henry King BW-106 mins

printalexandersragtime4651.JPG

1943's Heaven Can Wait was on in the wee hours this morning on either HBO or Cinemax, one of Ameche's greatest roles.

I loved him in Folks! (1992) with Tom Selleck. Maybe TCM could show it some day. I haven't seen it in years.

It shows up on FMC sometimes. The last time I recorded it, and I didn't think of extending the recording time, because the movie is 91 minutes and it was programmed for a 90 minute block. :( But all the same, it's a fun movie and just beautiful in Technicolor!

Don Ameche fan checking in!

Random Ameche rambles -

Whoever did the make up for "Heaven Can Wait" was genius - in his old age, Van Cleeve looks just like Art Selwyn!

I love how every January 13th faithfully I can catch him in "The Feminine Touch" in the Kay Francis bday tribute on TCM

I love him in fast talking roles like Love is News, Confirm and Deny and the Magnificent Dope...he would have made a great telemarketer in the 1990s!

Lovefilmnoir wrote:

love him in fast talking roles like Love is News, Confirm and Deny and the Magnificent Dope...

This is what makes those comedies, and dramas, of that period seem so vital, the fast-talking characters make these films so alive, so fun. Don Ameche ranks with the best of them when it came to debonair comedy timing.

> {quote:title=Arturo wrote:}{quote}

> This is what makes those comedies, and dramas, of that period seem so vital, the fast-talking characters make these films so alive, so fun. Don Ameche ranks with the best of them when it came to debonair comedy timing.

Indeed, one could say that it was thanks to performers like Ameche that they had a Golden Age of screwball comedy.

Don Ameche's work before the 80s comeback films are extremely underrated. But at least he received an Oscar out of my favorite contract Fox actors of the 40s.

While at Paramount I worked with both Ameche and Ralph Bellamy on Trading Places. The entire staff adored them, but I got the feeling that they didn't like each other.

> {quote:title=frankt65 wrote:}{quote}

> While at Paramount I worked with both Ameche and Ralph Bellamy on Trading Places. The entire staff adored them, but I got the feeling that they didn't like each other.

Oh wow, really? Can you explain further? I am interested to know. Seems like people only had positive things to say about Ameche after working with him.

> {quote:title=frankt65 wrote:}{quote}

> While at Paramount I worked with both Ameche and Ralph Bellamy on Trading Places. The entire staff adored them, but I got the feeling that they didn't like each other.

Wow, you're very lucky to have worked with them! As for them not liking each other, well, who knows what may have happened over the decades, but in any event it was kind of nice to see them working together.