Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

who else does not care to see newer movies on TCM?

Personally, I love "old" films, and TCM is the only channel I tune to watch the classics.

Silent films are the ones I love the most, and TCM is always there for me.

Pre-code films, Handsome leading Men, Gorgeous Leading Ladies...heck, I could go on and on about why I love TCM forever.

New films? there are countless channels to choose from.

I know what you mean. Unfortunately, we will likely have to endure more of them when The Story of Film documentary gets into the latest releases. Gladiator is one that is scheduled for December. Also, the Future Shock Friday night spotlight got too far into the recent releases. When the studio system died in the '60s, film became more of a commodity and an investment opportunity for people who cared nothing about making movies, and only cared about making money. High Concept was born. Also, CGI has made the impossible seem so real that there is no creativity spurred by limitations. And while CGI might seem more real than the old effects or techniques used to hide those limitations, it also gives movies a sterile and cold feeling.

>mfarish said: And while CGI might seem more real than the old effects or techniques used to hide those limitations, it also gives movies a sterile and cold feeling.

This is common with music recorded in a studio. There is no ambience. No life. It doesn't breathe. 'Clinical', even. The ever progressing reality of CGI takes the fun out of it.

this is a valid topic for discussion and after considerable thought, taking into account each of the previous posts on the subject - i've arrived at what seems to me to be the crux of the debate - the heart and soul - the real "meat" of the matter and it is this: 99.9 per cent of the movie releases in the modern era don't merit the price of a ticket, much less are they even watchable (unless you are being held at gunpoint). the only reason for them to turn up on the TCM schedule is when they are being referenced as an example for a particular theme such as the recent friday night spotlight's "future shock" or as a work that contains elements found pertaining to a bygone time, genre or specific scene that pays homage to a famous director from the classic era (as is done in mark cousin's The Story of Film: An Odyssey), along with programming featured on monday and tuesday included for its related theme for that period in the timeline. i am certain i would not own a television at all should Turner Classic Movies cease to exist. as an aside, who does own the network if it is no longer Ted's? i guess i assumed he still had a hand in it since it is the only real non-pay premium quality cable channel that remains Uncut and Commercial Free. a true godsend in a bummer of a bad trip world. he doesn't need it to pay dividends for stockholders cuz he has an altruistic soul.

Edited by: gangstagator on Oct 5, 2013 3:50 AM how did i forget the 2nd G in my very own CFU handle?

Here's a question I'd pose to everyone who kvetches about "Too many new movies", "Too many silents", "Too many foreign movies", "Too many kitschy musicals", "Too many westerns", "Too much Mickey Rooney", "Too many beach movies", etc., etc., etc.:

Say that one day the Denture Fairy came along and granted you a wish, and that your wish was "I wish I was a wishing well."

No, wait, that was Cagney's line. Let's try again.

Instead, let's say that your wish was "I wish that I could program TCM according to my own impeccable taste, 24 hours a day / 365 days a year."

My question is: *When in the hell would you ever sleep?*

As much as I don't care for a certain genre, year, or style of film, I am happy to have someone else programming the content and schedules. This spontaneity is preferred to a self-created boredom. Given my mood at any given time I may even watch a film I have avoided in the past and be pleasantly surprised. It's been known to happen.

I have ve go no problem with TCM programming movies I don't personally like so long as they are truly from the classic era. There were plenty of bad movies made pre-1960. Great art is an exceptional thing and will always be rare. But what the old movies had - and the new movies don't have - is personal vision. Can you imagine John Ford or Griffith screening movies for ideas for a new project the way Scorsese apparently does? For Shutter Island he screened Val Lewton movies, had the actors watch the movies, suggested wardrobe based on those movies, then turned out a movie swimming in the type of special effects Lewton didn't have, causing him to push for the shadowy, moody feel that we love but wouldn't have without those limitations. The director today, with a phalanx of special effects wizards to create the art direction, cinematography, and stunts in a movie, is largely superfluous. He or she doesn't really create anything. Yet they still have the arrogance to accept awards, believing they have "been behind those eyeballs," as Brian De Palma ridiculously said about being influenced by Hitchcock.

Edited by: mfarish on Oct 5, 2013 11:02 AM

Edited by: mfarish on Oct 5, 2013 11:07 AM

Edited by: mfarish on Oct 5, 2013 11:08 AM

Edited by: mfarish on Oct 5, 2013 11:11 AM

Edited by: mfarish on Oct 5, 2013 11:13 AM

Edited by: mfarish on Oct 5, 2013 11:17 AM

Every movie made before 1960 is not timeless classic- there was as much junk produced by the studios during the golden age as there are now. In the old days at least there was a level of story telling competence that is lacking is most major studio releases which now are basically excuses for digital effects. But there are many films produced after 1960 to the present which are worth watching- personally I enjoy discovering a film I've never seen- from the silent to IMAX.

> who does own the network if it is no longer Ted's? i guess i assumed he still had a hand in it since it is the only real non-pay premium quality cable channel that remains Uncut and Commercial Free. a true godsend in a bummer of a bad trip world. he doesn't need it to pay dividends for stockholders cuz he has an altruistic soul.

When Ted Turner merged his media empire with Time-Warner back in the mid to late 1990s, TCM was part of that merger. Time-Warner now owns Turner's former channels.

Wow! I really hate to admit that I probably could easily live happily in a Twilight Zone way, of having only pre-1970 films to view.

Now I would not want to become dogmatic and force everyone else in the world or as a TCM fan, to only watch what I want to see nor do I believe that all films made even by the major studios are classics, since all one need do is look through any of those giant film books on Warners, Columbia, RKO, MGM etc. to see that there was much claptrap and sub par film creations for all years during the studio heydays.

Nevertheless, I have always wondered why people like to make everything be palatable to all tastes, sort of like taking a Polish restaurant and ameliorating all dishes into a hodge podge of all world cuisines. I like to think of TCM as being the one treasure trove of older and more obscure talkies and silents, and since no other network supplies that demand I hate to see it full of new crapola* that is available everywhere else anyway.

*sorry for the pejorative attitude!