Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hughes, Nelson

Cartoon Network Bans Speedy Gonzalez

This is all approaching farcical proportions. Where is a set of modern-day Marx Bros to properly lampoon this mayhem?

3 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Even though this thread was created when I was still a senior in high school (3 months from graduation! Yay!), I feel that this delayed PC outrage re: Speedy Gonzalez is very similar to the current outrage re: the lyrics to "Baby, It's Cold Outside," a 70+ year old song that has been a staple of every Christmas season since.  It is only in the past couple of years when people have decided to go out of their way to be offended by everything (Franklin and "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving" ::Groan::) and have decided that the lyric, "say? what's in this drink?" is obviously about some guy slipping the girl a roofie and trying to coerce her into staying.  I have never come to that conclusion myself.  I always figured that he made her a strong cocktail of sorts.

This easily offended/outrage culture has gotten absurd.

The song was not originally a Christmas song even, being featured in the 1949 film Neptune's Daughter. I have seen the film, so I can remark it was deployed in a scene where Esther Williams was in Ricardo Moltaban's apartment on what was said to be the hottest night of the year, and he used the subtly racy song as a plea to get her to stay. She did have a cocktail. Now after their part of the song was done, there was a flip side reverse with amorous Betty Garrett trying to coerce reluctant Red Skelton to stay around in a comic reprise, but that part was never heard in the radio versions....

4 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Hip hip hooray.  A national news item out of Cleveland.  WDOK, not a station I actually listen to.  Hey at least it wasn't a bombing.

LOL

Eeh! You guys got all that media attention when LeBron moved to Miami and then BACK again and THEN when he moved to L.A., now didn't YA?!!!

(...geeeeez...whaddaya want, anyway!!!)

;)

33 minutes ago, Dargo said:

LOL

Eeh! You guys got all that media attention when LeBron moved to Miami and then BACK again and THEN when he moved to L.A., now didn't YA?!!!

(...geeeeez...whaddaya want, anyway!!!)

;)

For some people, that must have been another embarrassing moment.

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

The song was not originally a Christmas song even, being featured in the 1949 film Neptune's Daughter. I have seen the film, so I can remark it was deployed in a scene where Esther Williams was in Ricardo Moltaban's apartment on what was said to be the hottest night of the year, and he used the subtly racy song as a plea to get her to stay. She did have a cocktail. 

And then he took her to Fantasy Island.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

This is all approaching farcical proportions. Where is a set of modern-day Marx Bros to properly lampoon this mayhem?

Uh, that's nice--But could you take a break from the OUTRAGE!!! to explain why you necroposted the darn thing in the first place??

Last year would be one thing, but '02?  The GW Bush era?  Back when Cartoon Network still SHOWED Looney Tunes cartoons??

(Wasn't that way back when a then non-senile Ted Turner dumped a whole load of nonsensical CN "bans" on the Looneys, like banning "Frigid Hare" because Bugs told the mean Eskimo "Get off me, ya big ape!", or "Bewitched Bunny" because they thought "Sure, I know, but aren't they all witches inside?" was supposed to be nasty, sexist and misogynist?)

bewitch.jpg

I actually mentioned my motive earlier today. The reason is that I was getting weary of seeing the same 'ole stale 'ole discussion threads --hovering like a bad cough-- over the 'front' of the forum day-in and day-out. So I decided to go a-roving farther afield.

The result was quite ...effervescent wouldn't you say? Things got quite lively!

2 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

The song was not originally a Christmas song even, being featured in the 1949 film Neptune's Daughter. I have seen the film, so I can remark it was deployed in a scene where Esther Williams was in Ricardo Moltaban's apartment on what was said to be the hottest night of the year, and he used the subtly racy song as a plea to get her to stay. She did have a cocktail. Now after their part of the song was done, there was a flip side reverse with amorous Betty Garrett trying to coerce reluctant Red Skelton to stay around in a comic reprise, but that part was never heard in the radio versions....

I always associated the song with Danny Kaye trying for a Red Skelton-like escape from another overeager female, which is why I never fell for the "sexism".

And FWIW, the undiscerning Mexican audience loves Speedy--Not just for desperate cultural validation, but because he always beats Sylvester/Daffy in the end.  ("Speedy is friendly with everyone's sister!")  And, they probably like him being shrill, loud and annoying, too.

My wife said she always thought Speedy was cute.  And didn't know any of her friends(also Mexican) or relatives that were offended by him.  It's like HAM said---a character that outwits and out runs his persuers---so, where's the offense in THAT?  "Heck", she exclaimed "Where were those guys when the FRITO BANDITO was all over the tube?"  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I actually mentioned my motive earlier today. The reason is that I was getting weary of seeing the same 'ole stale 'ole discussion threads --hovering like a bad cough-- over the 'front' of the forum day-in and day-out. So I decided to go a-roving farther afield.

The result was quite ...effervescent wouldn't you say? Things got quite lively!

I think it is great that these 'old' threads are revised since there are many 'newbies' like yourself that have joined since the last post was made in these threads.   To me the topic of private company censorship of media is always a good one,  especially in this age of 'let's boycott,  before getting all the relevant facts'.

As for "Baby, It's Cold Outside:   well there was some good that came out of this ban;  many of my local news stations have been playing the clip of Williams and Montalban and the song.    So my guess is this ban by this one radio station resulted in MORE exposure for the song.   I.e. MORE people have now heard it and know its origin.  

Remember that boycott of Married with Children by a uptight woman in Michigan;  that show was about to be canceled due to low ratings until this woman made the show must-watch-TV!  

Yah, Jazz Man. 'The Streisand Effect', is the official term I believe.

The way media runs our lives these days makes me livid. Its a return to the medieval hamlet, the uproar of the town square, the gibbet and the stocks, angry villagers with pitchforks and torches. Crowds blindly follow the loudest voice. This is how the Brownshirts got started.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Yah, Jazz Man. 'The Streisand Effect', is the official term I believe.

The way media runs our lives these days makes me livid. Its a return to the medieval hamlet, the uproar of the town square, the gibbet and the stocks, angry villagers with pitchforks and torches. Crowds blindly follow the loudest voice. This is how the Brownshirts got started.

Exactly on the Streisand Effect, and I heard some of the best in the business get in on that story.  Including Clyde Lewis, as he was interviewing Dr. Demento on his show about this.  He brought up the kookiness at radio station WDOK in Cleveland.  Clyde Lewis and Dr. Demento!

• Thanks 1

To my way of thinking...when we look around at the country lately--I think we could possibly...probably...get a handle on things and figure out how to stay out of trouble. But what the hell is up with all the goshdarn tech toys and manufactured gadgets in everyone's hands; what the hell is up with everyone slavishly absorbed by public clamor; why are people practically swaying in a trance sitting in front of giant TV screens. Its all this which is distorting everything and making it impossible to chart our course. 'Speedy Gonzalez' never hurt anyone. Get over it! What next, am I gonna be unable to find Cheech & Chong when I want a laugh?

There is someone ... walking behind you ...

Turn around ... look at me ...

There is  someone ... watching your footsteps ...

Turn around ... look at me ...

Yup, sounds like stalking. Time to ban this one too.

• Haha 1

No offense but a little of Speedy Gonzales goes a long way with me - like the Road Runner. Boring.

Bugs and Daffy, on the other hand, can't get enough of them - before the quality of even their cartoons started to slide downhill by the mid '50s (with a couple of exceptions).

• Like 1

I can't imagine harboring such an opinion. I'd watch a Merry Melodies/Looney Toons cartoon anytime, anywhere, and under any conditions. Always such a mood-booster. A bad Bugs cartoon? How can such a thing even be?

Was recently chatting with a newly married couple at my local late-night pharmacy (where I was getting a prescription refilled and refilled and refilled). They had a toddler at home, and I forget how the topic arose but they assured me the infant was being raised on a wholesome diet of Warner Bros and Hanna-Barbara. I toasted them with a vial of my favorite Rx elixir.

• Like 1

p.s. great trivia question. Elmer Fudd's voice was one of the few which did not come from Mel Blanc. Who's was it?

37 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

p.s. great trivia question. Elmer Fudd's voice was one of the few which did not come from Mel Blanc. Who's was it?

Billy West?

51 minutes ago, TomJH said:

No offense but a little of Speedy Gonzales goes a long way with me - like the Road Runner. Boring.

Bugs and Daffy, on the other hand, can't get enough of them - before the quality of even their cartoons started to slide downhill by the mid '50s (with a couple of exceptions).

Yeah he only goes beep beep, nothing else. Wile E. on the other hand.

The Ham Man said:

Billy West?

I won't hold out on ya. Elmer Fudd was done by Arthur Q. Bryan, who was a supporting character on the Fibber McGee & Molly radio show. He played "Doc Gamble". His biography is fairly fascinating, take a look sometime.

8 hours ago, TomJH said:

Wholeheartedly agree, but at least the Road Runner cartoons had some thought put into them.  Every single Speedy Gonzalez short is exactly the same as any other and I know they used the same Sylvester/Guillotine gag at least three times.  I don't care about any stereotyping - I probably won't watch that disc in the Golden Collection ever again because it's just soooooo boring.

Also agree about when the Warner shorts started to heavily decline - pretty much around the start of the widescreen era.  Robert McKimson's work probably fared the worst as the fifties progressed.  One-offs tended to be better than the characters at this point, although the later Yosemite Sam short Honey's Money will always be one of my favorites.  When I was a kid, I always preferred to watch the packages on TBS and later Cartoon Network, because the Turner package was the prime stuff from the 1940s.  Nickelodeon and the network TV packages that showed the WB owned stuff did have some of the peak Chuck Jones shorts but they also showed the terrible  DePatie/Freleng era shorts too much (and pretty much deleted any of the black & white stuff by 91 or 92; they only showed a few that were colorized after that.)