Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Walk_on_the_Wild_Side in Pan&Scan -- WHY??

jrodor1

On Wednesday, June 23, 2004 at 8:00pm EDT, TCM played a

Pan&Scan (P&S) version of "Walk On The Wild Side" (1962).

According to DVD technical info from Amazon.Com

(cited below), it's not clear why TCM would air

it P&S when a Widescreen [Letterbox] version has

been available on DVD for over four months.

Consider the data below taken from the DVD

descriptions off Amazon.Com:

Release Information:

Studio: Columbia Tristar Home Video

DVD Release Date: February 10, 2004

Aspect Ratio(s):

Widescreen letterbox - 1.85:1

Why didn't TCM air "Walk On The Wild Side" in LBX?

Are subscribers to presume that "Columbia Tristar"

will not permit TCM to air the widescreen version

until at least six-months have transpired, like the

arrangement with Warner Home Video?

I'm very glad you're paying close attention to the network. I'm not sure why this is pan&scan, but will check tomorrow. It's possible they wouldn't send us the master they used for their dvd release; it could be a mistake on our end. It's also possible we pulled the wrong tape (it happens sometimes). Whatever it is, we always want to show the letterbox version of every film. I think I said earlier in the week there are only 4 or 5 we end up showing pan&scan every year. Well, given what happened with "The Color Purple" earlier this week and "Walk on the Wild Side" - both on the same week - I'm going to have to revise my estimate to 10 to 12 films per year. It hasn't been a good couple of weeks on this, so I apologize, but we like letterboxing as much as you do.

You know I hate to admit it, but this is one of the reasons that I don't visit the TCM Message boards as much anymore. Why do people constantly have to complain about my beloved TCM? There is absolutely nothing wrong with this channel! TCM does so many things right that when you start messing with perfection you run the risk of ruining a good thing. People that come out of the woodwork and complain about what format a movie is shown is absurd.

WALK ON THE WILD SIDE was considered pretty risque at the time of it's release. Personally, I am happy to see it on television in ANY format and applaud TCM for airing it. By 1962's standards, it's a pretty twisted film, so of course, I love it! Thanks, TCM!

classicfan your wit is too much. never knew ya had it in ya. Jr. Odor was indeed hilarious. Even funnier if that is his real name.

Eddie

and yes I agree, quit complaining and say something meaningful but don't mess with the foremat.

Two memorable things about this film: The wonderful jazzy music soundtrack score by Elmer Bernstein, which is matched by Saul Bass' incredible opening credits of the black cat walking across the screen.

There are many Columbia films that are being released on DVD in the widescreen process, including SOLID GOLD CADILLAC and IT SHOULD HAPPEN TO YOU, both starring Judy Holiday. I was surprised see these DVD's in widescreen since those particular films are always shown on TV in the standard format.

Archived