Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which came first...

CaveGirl

the book or the movie?

Recently I received a book catalog and found among its treasures, the William Goldman classic, "The Princess Bride". Now I say classic based on what I've read about it, since I've never personally read it myself. I remember reading that it was looked upon as impossible almost to film for eons, and have only seen the film but decided the time has now come for me to read the original source material.

So far, I'm really enjoying it but must admit that there are some definite dissimilarities that are continually surprising me, though I will say the heart of the story is definitely achieved due to the talents of the legendary Goldman, as screenwriter. Just a quick look through his credits will assure you of his unique and wondrous creative abilities. 

On quite a few films, I've probably read the book before ever seeing the film, particularly if it is taken from something quite famous. I just like to know what I'm getting into first, before I ever see a film. For example, I'd read "The Exorcist" before ever seeing the movie, and things like "David Copperfield" or "The Great Gatsby" often are assigned reading in school. I had not read Somerset Maugham's "The Letter" before seeing the Bette Davis film, but read it afterward and that was eye opening. Some things I liked in the film, were not in the book, but another of his books done on film, "Christmas Holiday" conformed quite well to the each other. Now I only wanted to see "The Bible" to check out Michael Parks as Adam, but some say one should read the book first, but I don't know if I can agree.

Your question is, which comes first for you, ideally and if you read the book afterward of a film you saw, was it disconcerting, revealing or whatever and do you recommend one way more than another in chronology?

It might depend on the story itself, but recently I watched Emma a short time after reading the book and it was a fascinating and enjoyable experience. I looked so forward to seeing the movie, there was such great anticipation. I wrote a little about this on another thread.

Years ago I had already read Catch-22 and then the movie came out much later. I'm thinking that reading the book first would be better because of this notion I have that the movie might have been puzzling cold turkey. But don't decide just one or another. The Book has to read whether one sees the movie or not.

Generally I think that book first then movie. Seeing movie first could be a deterrent to reading later. This might depend on how much one enjoys reading.

• Thanks 1

It probably does somewhat depend on the enterprise.

I know I did not read the book for "Wrestling Women Vs. The Aztec Mummy" before seeing the movie, to my detriment. All my knowledge of Santo films didn't help at all in storyline comprehension sadly.

Thanks, Laffite!

2 hours ago, laffite said:

I thought this was going to be a chicken and egg thing. I do know the answer to that, btw. They both came at the same time. If you don't believe me, ask God. Good luck with that.

Where do dinosaurs come in during this discussion?

5 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Where do dinosaurs come in during this discussion?

They're out. They may be big fellas and all that but they are extinct and have no say. And just because they don't exist doesn't excuse them from not coming to the meetings. Besides they were mere brawn and lacked the intelligence for philosophy that deal with chicken and egg conundrums. Big oafs.

Nor can they be a part of the discussion. The Chicken and the Egg is by now a perennial metaphysical consideration while dinosaurs are merely physical. And they are even that any more.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings