Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Strawberry Blonde

mooveeluvr

when I see the phrase 'Romantic Comedy', there is one film that readily comes to mind-- 'THE STRAWBERRY BLONDE' with James Cagney, Olivia deHavilland, Rita Hayworth, ALan Hale and Jack Carson. It's always been one of my all-time favorites.... it's funny, poignant, serious, has a great ending. the script is terrific and it was written by the Epstein brothers (they also wrote CASABLANCA). Lots of great lines and great scenes.... I think my favorite is the scene when the foursome attempt to eat spaghetti. So, anyone else like this movie?

strawberry.jpg

Message was edited by: mooveeluvr

Oh wow, i was just thinking of this movie recently, and you're right they should play it more often :)

Considering how serious the world is these days, I really love watching classic movies like this one and others like The Philadelphia Story or Morning Glory to keep the day on the up and up.

Is there any news if TCM will be having some kind of month of romantic comedies? That would be awesome!

> {quote:title=conallen wrote:}{quote}

> Is there any news if TCM will be having some kind of month of romantic comedies? That would be awesome!

The themes they have each month tend to be based on something more specific than that, for example, romantic comedies from a specific director or starring specific stars, might be more likely to be something they would consider doing.

But it's never a bad idea to suggest that they play more romantic comedies!

Strawberry Blonde is really great showcase for Cagney and the entire cast. Watched the original a few weeks ago with Gary Cooper and Fay Wray ,"One Sunday Afternoon"and while there as some comedy it was a more somber film I think then the Cagney one, but if you get a chance watch it.If I remember right there was another version with Dennis Morgan done in the late 40's.directed also by Raoul Walsh, a lackluster musical with boring songs and acting.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just recently got my copy of The Strawberry Blonde, along with The Mad Miss Manton and several other DVDs. Much to my surprise my player won't play either The Strawberry Blonde or Miss Manton. I have a rather extensive collection of DVDs including some that are recorded off of other players; these are the only two films that give me the problem. But both will play (and look very good) on a friends machine. What gives? I wanted to buy a few more copies of the "Blonde" for gifts but now I wonder if their machines will play that dvd? Finally I must say I am somewhat disappointed that the "Blonde" does'nt have audio commentary, this film really deserves that.

> {quote:title=mrroberts wrote:}{quote}

> I just recently got my copy of The Strawberry Blonde, along with The Mad Miss Manton and several other DVDs. Much to my surprise my player won't play either The Strawberry Blonde or Miss Manton.

I take it that these are Warner Archives titles? If so, you may want to contact their customer service number - I think it's on their website. Not sure what they could do for you (refund/exchange) but it's certainly worth a try.

Could someone tell me more about this film? Because I couldn't finish it.

I'm a fan of Cagney, so I gave it a try, but was very put off because the film starts off with all this cutesey period stuff, and then seems to go down a dark path with Cagney's becoming obsessed with the Hayworth character. Where does the film go from there? Does it lighten up?

Thanks! [air kiss]

I can't believe you gave this film much of a chance. Most of the story is in a flashback; Cagney reminising about the past, his father and the old neighborhood gang . All of the guys admire the Strawberry Blonde, but poor Cagney has to "settle" for the plain girl (Olivia). In the long run he realizes he got the "better" girl and at the end of the story he gets his "revenge" on old adversary Hugo. It is a very funny film, lots of great characters in support of the stars, if you give it a chance you won't be disappointed. This is one of my top 10 favorite films of all time and one of Cagney's best.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Rita Hayworth lucked onto "the Strawberry Blonde" part. It was actually to have starred Ann Sheridan, but she took a (several month) cruise with new husband George Brent, while she demanded more money from Warners (to match her "oomph" image and popularity. Several other films meant for her were also done with other actresses. Rita was borrowed from Columbia, and together with her loanout to 20th for Blood And Sand (and her photo spread in Life magazine), she finally became a star of the first magnitude.

• 1 month later...

The Strawberry Blonde is one of my favorite movies also. I'm a big fan of Cagney and De Havilland and they both shine in this. Cagney is still the tough guy but here he does show another side and Olivia is a hoot as a half-way feminist with a really big heart. The park sense where Cagney is stuck with Olivia when he really want Rita is tops.

Rita and Carson are also very good and of course Rita looks wonderful, but the best thing about this movie are the scenes with Cagney and Olivia.

Archived