Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

John McCain....

The New York TimesVerified account @nytimes

Breaking News: Senator John McCain will no longer receive care for his brain cancer, his family said,

a sign that he is most likely entering his final days

-----------------------------------------

Tammy DuckworthVerified account @SenDuckworth 2h2 hours ago

Thinking of and sending my best wishes to American Hero John McCain and his family today.

1 hour ago, jakeem said:

1 hour ago, jakeem said:

I very much do not agree with the politics of John McCain.

But he defended Obama against racists. He was the deciding vote to save the ACA. He put principle over party and self-interest which in politics is called courage.

He is a good man who has served with dignity.

May God bless John McCain, A Real American Hero!

• Thanks 4

Trump has told White House aides he does not regret saying McCain is not a war hero. He tells advisers that McCain has a vendetta against him and that he wishes he’d step down. He doesn’t plan to say a laudatory word about the ailing senator.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Mikel JollettVerified account @Mikel_Jollett Aug 24

I lost my father recently. It was the hardest thing I've ever gone through.

Whatever your views on John McCain or his legacy, his family is suffering right now.

It costs you nothing to show him and his family the basic human dignity all people deserve.

• Sad 2
2 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Trump has told White House aides he does not regret saying McCain is not a war hero. He tells advisers that McCain has a vendetta against him and that he wishes he’d step down. He doesn’t plan to say a laudatory word about the ailing senator.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Mikel JollettVerified account @Mikel_Jollett Aug 24

I lost my father recently. It was the hardest thing I've ever gone through.

Whatever your views on John McCain or his legacy, his family is suffering right now.

It costs you nothing to show him and his family the basic human dignity all people deserve.

The author is asking someone with no dignity to show dignity.  Ain't happening.

John McCain, flawed human like all of us, served his country and loved his country.  I wish him and his family peace and love at this time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

https://people.com/politics/john-mccain-mother-roberta-aware-cancer-treatment-ending/

Sen. John McCain‘s mother Roberta is aware that her son is stopping treatment for stage-four brain cancer, PEOPLE has learned.

“Roberta is 106, but she’s spunky,” a close family friend exclusively tells PEOPLE. “She knows he is ill.”

On Friday, the McCain family announced that the 81-year-old politician — who was diagnosed with glioblastoma, an aggressive brain cancer with a median survival rate of just 15 months, in July 2017 — made the decision to stop treatment.

“Last summer, Senator John McCain shared with Americans the news our family already knew: he had been diagnosed with an aggressive glioblastoma, and the prognosis was serious,” the statement said. “In the year since, John has surpassed expectations for his survival. But the progress of disease and the inexorable advance of age render their verdict. With his usual strength of will, he has now chosen to discontinue medical treatment.”

“Our family is immensely grateful for the support and kindness of all his caregivers over the last year, and for the continuing outpouring of concern and affection from John’s many friends and associated, and the many thousands of people who are keeping him in their prayers,” the statement continued. “God bless and thank you all.”

To mark Roberta’s 106th birthday on Feb. 7, Sen. McCain, his wife Cindy and their daughter Meghan shared heartfelt messages on social media about the centenarian’s impact on their lives.

Sen. McCain tweeted a video filled with photos of his mother over the years, writing, “Happy 106th birthday to my wonderful mother Roberta – we love you mom!”

25 minutes ago, jakeem said:

John McCain requested that former presidents George W Bush and Barack Obama deliver eulogies at his funeral. Former Vice President Joe Biden is also scheduled to speak at one of the memorial services for the late senator.

Also specifically requested by McCain was that the current president donald trump not attend his funeral.

Former first lady Barbara Bush also made the same type of request for her recent funeral.

Services for John McCain are scheduled to be held in Washington DC, in Arizona and in Annapolis, at the US Naval Academy, where he will be buried.

Source: CBS

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

McCain, and Obama's words glaringly illustrate the contrast between those with class and without class. I certainly hope McCain isn't the last to serve us who know how to argue & negotiate with others on citizen's behalf. A good politician can debate so even if you don't agree with them, at least you understand their point.

I respected John McCain for the exceptional, great man he was and all he gave for our country. Rest In Peace.

• Like 5

0*TUu2uJgm7NiAp66S.jpg

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/david-foster-wallace-on-john-mccain-the-weasel-twelve-monkeys-and-the-shrub-194272/

David Foster Wallace on John McCain: ‘The Weasel, Twelve Monkeys and the Shrub’

Seven days in the life of the late, great John McCain

By 

This story originally appeared in the April 13th, 2000 issue of Rolling Stone

Prologue: Who Cares?

Since you’re reading Rolling Stone, the chances are you’re an American between say 18 and 35, which demographically makes you a Young Voter. And no generation of Young Voters has ever cared less about politics and politicians than yours. There’s hard demographic and voter-pattern data backing this up … assuming you give a **** about data. In fact, even if you’re reading other stuff in RS, it’s doubtful you’re going to read much of this article – such is the enormous shuddering yawn that the Political Process evokes in us now, in this post-Watergate-post-Iran’Contra’ post’Whitewater ‘post’ Lewinsky era, an era when politicians’ statements of principle or vision are understood as self-serving ad copy and judged not for their sincerity or ability to inspire but for their tactical shrewdness, their marketability. And no generation has been marketed and Spun and pitched to as ingeniously and relentlessly as today’s demographic Young. So when Senator John McCain says, in Michigan or South Carolina (which is where Rolling Stone sent the least professional pencil it could find to spend the standard media Week on the Bus with a candidate who’d never ride higher than he is right now), when McCain says “I run for president not to Be Somebody, but to Do Something,” it’s hard to hear it as anything more than a marketing angle, especially when he says it as he’s going around surrounded by cameras and reporters and cheering crowds … in other words, Being Somebody.

And when Senator John McCain also says – constantly, thumping it at the start and end of every speech and THM – that his goal as president will be “to inspire young Americans to devote them- selves to causes greater than their own self-interest,” it’s hard not to hear it as just one more piece of the carefully scripted **** that presidential candidates hand us as they go about the self-interested business of trying to become the most powerful, important and talked-about human being on earth, which is of course their real “cause,” to which they appear to be so deeply devoted that they can swallow and spew whole mountains of noble – sounding **** and convince even themselves that they mean it. Cynical as that may sound, polls show it’s how most of us feel. And it’s beyond not believing the ****; mostly we don’t even hear it, dismiss it at the same deep level where we also block out billboards and Muzak.

But there’s something underneath politics in the way you have to hear McCain, something riveting and unSpinnable and true. It has to do with McCain’s military background and Vietnam combat and the five-plus years he spent in a North Vietnamese prison, mostly in solitary, in a box, getting tortured and starved. And the unbelievable honor and balls he showed there. It’s very easy to gloss over the POW thing, partly because we’ve all heard so much about it and partly because it’s so off-the – charts dramatic, like something in a movie instead of a man’s life. But it’s worth considering for a minute, because it’s what makes McCain’s “causes greater than self-interest” line easier to hear.

I'm sorry for the passing of Senator McCain, I am sorry for his family, and most of all I am sorry for us Americans who have lost somebody whose class and courage is an increasingly rare commodity. Look at Senator McCain's public life, look at how President Obama honored this man across the aisle on his passing, and then look at Trump's deafening silence. I don't think Trump even understands the virtues involved. He just doesn't want to look - as he calls it - "weak".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I knew McCain wasn't going to show up to confirm Kavanaugh.

"man, whatta weasel." -chevy chase, nat'l lampoon's vacation

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

My deepest sympathies and respect go out to the family of Senator John McCain. Our hearts and prayers are with you!
8:44 PM - Aug 25, 2018 

:D

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1