Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dame Olivia de Havilland's Supreme Court case

jakeem

Don't ever underestimate the determination of Dame Olivia de Havilland.

The two-time Academy Award winner, who turned 102 last month, once took on the studio system  in the 1940s -- and won a landmark court case that freed her from her Warner Bros. contract.

Now she's preparing to petition the U.S. Supreme Court for a hearing on her lawsuit against the makers of the 2017 FX TV miniseries "Feud: Bette vs. Joan." De Havilland has contended that the limited series' depiction of her -- she was portrayed by another Oscar winner, Catherine Zeta-Jones -- was a misrepresentation. The suit was tossed out by a federal appeals court in March.

35DB349000000578-3670080-image-a-9_14673

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/actress-olivia-de-havilland-now-102-will-take-feud-supreme-court-1137142?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, jakeem said:

Don't ever underestimate the determination of Dame Olivia de Havilland.

The two-time Academy Award winner, who turned 102 last month, once took on the studio system  in the 1940s -- and won a landmark court case that freed her from her Warner Bros. contract.

Now she's preparing to petition the U.S. Supreme Court for a hearing on her lawsuit against the makers of the 2017 FX TV miniseries "Feud: Bette vs. Joan." De Havilland has contended that the limited series' depiction of her -- she was portrayed by another Oscar winner, Catherine Zeta-Jones -- was a misrepresentation. The suit was tossed out by a federal appeals court in March.

67d9E8Ff?format=jpg&name=600x314

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/actress-olivia-de-havilland-now-102-will-take-feud-supreme-court-1137142?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The CA statute that prevents such lawsuits has  been 'tested' in Federal court many times and it is settled law.   The odds the Supreme Court will hear this latest challenge is about as high as the one Tom Brady tried to get the court to hear.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The CA statute that prevents such lawsuits has  been 'tested' in Federal court many times and it is settled law.   The odds the Supreme Court will hear this latest challenge is about as high as the one Tom Brady tried to get the court to hear.

Yeah, I have to agree with you. Having her character utter a few cuss words hardly seems enough for a defamation case.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Yeah, I have to agree with you. Having her character utter a few cuss words hardly seems enough for a defamation case.

Especially if you watch some of those Warner bloopers with Olivia cussing like a little sailor.  Olivia's bloopers are at around the 5 minute marker, but I watched the whole thing -- so much **** fun!  Errol getting tickled in Gentleman Jim is worth a view, but you get to see all the top actors blowing their lines and cursing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

The swear words, whether or not the lady herself uses them in private, does not fit in with the Melanie Wilkes lady-like public persona which the actress adopted for herself many years ago. Olivia is fighting, I suppose, partially to preserve that image. Even at age 102 it obviously still means something to her.

This is a woman who, despite her graciousness and demure appearance, has always had an interior strength of steel. It would be out of character for her to give up this fight in the law courts. I admire her determination and refusal to let an earlier court ruling make her bow in surrender.

She may not win the case if it does get to the Supreme Court but at over a century Olivia de Havilland, if she loses, is going to go down swinging.

olivia-de-havilland.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TomJH said:

The swear words, whether or not the lady herself uses them in private, does not fit in with the Melanie Wilkes lady-like public persona which the actress adopted for herself many years ago. Olivia is fighting, I suppose, partially to preserve that image. Even at age 102 it obviously still means something to her.

This is a woman who, despite her graciousness and demure appearance, has always had an interior strength of steel. It would be out of character for her to give up this fight in the law courts. I admire her determination and refusal to let an earlier court ruling make her bow in surrender.

She may not win the case if it does get to the Supreme Court but at over a century Olivia de Havilland, if she loses, is going to go down swinging.

olivia-de-havilland.jpg

I could get political and express my hope that she keeps the Supreme Court busy so that they don't render any catastrophic decisions on other issues!

• Haha 2

• 3 months later...

Today's L.A. Times Calendar section front page has a half-page picture of Olivia De Havilland with the caption of "This 'Feud' is real";    Of course the article is about how she is petitioning the U.S. Supreme Court to consider her case after losing her bids in a CA appeals court in March and the state Supreme Court in July.    (and legal experts say the actress faces an uphill battle because she is a public figure.

Anyhow the article continues on page 3 with a very nice, large color picture of Olivia and Joan from 1945.   The article mentions her life in Paris and goes into a lot of detail about why she felt the 'need' to file the lawsuit.   

Sorry for not providing a link.

This is a picture from the same day that the Times used.

Image result for olivia de havilland

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

I dont see the Supremes picking this up either. They'd need 4 votes to review it. I dont see that happening.

I agree.   But many here,  like yourself supported the lawsuit, right?     

I wonder if those that support Olivia with this lawsuit would support Dick Cheney in his lawsuit against the film Vice.

Something tells me NOT.

• Haha 2

On 8/25/2018 at 2:37 PM, rosebette said:

I could get political and express my hope that she keeps the Supreme Court busy so that they don't render any catastrophic decisions on other issues!

That is the only merit to this case.  Actually it is a waste of the court's time for such foolishness.  If she loses (and she would), she needs to pay all court and other costs.

My wife and I watched the series and she follows this type showing more closely than I do.  She barely remembers the parts with Olivia de Haviland character.

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I agree.   But many here,  like yourself supported the lawsuit, right?     

I wonder if those that support Olivia with this lawsuit would support Dick Cheney in his lawsuit against the film Vice.

Something tells me NOT.

Well, that might be 'cause Olivia never started a needless war, James?!

(...wait, did I just say that out loud here???...sorry)

LOL

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

No, I didnt support it as I dont think she was portrayed that badly. I can understand her being p.o.'d though.

Sorry, for the bogus assumption.    Yea, I understand why she would be upset and I can also understand why she filed that first legal challenge.  But like I posted there has already been two appeals at the state level.  To expect the US Supreme Court to consider your case is hubris on steroids.    

If she was to win,  shows like SLN couldn't exist.

On 8/25/2018 at 8:29 AM, TomJH said:

Yeah, maybe if Olivia would start hangin' with Betty White a while, she'd get used to those swear words.

(...yep, Betty would sure loosen her up, alright)

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Best Supporting Actress winner for Chicago. Wife of Michael Douglas, daughter-in-law of Kirk.

AND, one beautiful hot babe.

(...but who nonetheless I still thought was the most miscast player in Feud)

16 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Sorry, for the bogus assumption.    Yea, I understand why she would be upset and I can also understand why she filed that first legal challenge.  But like I posted there has already been two appeals at the state level.  To expect the US Supreme Court to consider your case is hubris on steroids.    

If she was to win,  shows like SLN couldn't exist.

Yes, I'm sure this is going nowhere........

On 12/11/2018 at 7:03 PM, Dargo said:

Yeah, maybe if Olivia would start hangin' with Betty White a while, she'd get used to those swear words.

(...yep, Betty would sure loosen her up, alright)

You haven't seen those Warner blooper reels where the words "S-o-B" drop so prettily from Olivia's lips when she blows her lines?   

1 hour ago, rosebette said:

You haven't seen those Warner blooper reels where the words "S-o-B" drop so prettily from Olivia's lips when she blows her lines?   

Yeah, what Hibi said here, rosebette! ;)

Actually, somehow I evidently missed watching your earlier YouTube posting which included those outtakes of Olivia cursing.

(...BUT if Hibi's joke is at all true, then I still say sending Betty White over to Paris to loosen her up again and like she was back in her younger days, might not be such a bad idea IF Olivia IS indeed "reformed" now days);)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings