Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Moorman

The Whisperers (1967)

This film has just enough noir in it to qualify for this subforum.  I ran across this British film on Youtube. ( I've been on a British film screening run).  Edith Evans plays Ms. Ross, a lonely, eccentric elderly lady who spins her time talking to the walls in her apartment.  Decades earlier she had been abandoned by her foul charactered husband.  Her equally foul son makes a appearance after a bank robbery and hides his loot in her apartment.

The film doesn't have a elaborate plot, it instead focuses on the social issues of elderly people like Ms. Ross who is left to tend for herself and the traumatic effect it has on her as she ages.  Its not a film for people who can't or will not take the time to see this side of society.  

Edith Evans was truly believable here. Its a performance that I've rarely seen in film.  From Wiki we find the following awards she won:

Edith Evans was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actress, and won the BAFTA Award, the Silver Bear for Best Actress award at the 17th Berlin International Film Festival, the National Board of Review award, the New York Film Critics Circle award, and the Golden Globe Award all for Best Actress.

This is a fantastic film. It was directed by Bryan Forbes and shot in Lancashire in northwest England.  The area was in heavy decline and fit the austurity of the times that were portrayed in the film.  Its a great watch and I rate this a 8 out of 10, a good bit higher than the IDMB ratings of 7.2.  Its a must watch...

293cyl5.jpg

v8lyyv.jpg

a595hu.jpg

Interesting you consider THE WHISPERERS an example of noir. 

Forbes directed Evans again in 1976's THE SLIPPER AND THE ROSE. That one was definitely not a film noir, unless you consider two stepsisters' desire to marry into royalty a bit gritty.

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Interesting you consider THE WHISPERERS an example of noir. 

Forbes directed Evans again in 1976's THE SLIPPER AND THE ROSE. That film was definitely not a film noir, unless you consider two stepsisters' desire to marry into royalty a bit gritty.

Its not a Noir per se.  It has elements of noir in its plot and the look of the film.  Spoiler Alerts:  Ms. Ross's son robs a bank. He hides the loot in her apartment.  She innocently finds the loot and reveals it to whom she thought was a friend.  The friend gets her drunk and robs her at the prodding of a gangster.  She is left for dead out in the cold. Her husband who abandoned her shows up when forced to by the state. He takes a job as a driver for a gambling syndicate.  His boss is wacked and he takes the loot and bounces. You can't get any more noir than that...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Moorman said:

Its not a Noir per se.  It has elements of noir in its plot and the look of the film.  Spoiler Alerts:  Ms. Ross's son robs a bank. He hides the loot in her apartment.  She innocently finds the loot and reveals it to whom she thought was a friend.  The friend gets her drunk and robs her at the prodding of a gangster.  She is left for dead out in the cold. Her husband who abandoned her shows up when forced to by the state. He takes a job as a driver for a gambling syndicate.  His boss is wacked and he takes the loot and bounces. You can't get any more noir than that...

I guess you're right...I hadn't looked at it that way. I saw it more as an absorbing character study with elements of kitchen sink drama.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I guess you're right...I hadn't looked at it that way. I saw it more as an absorbing character study with elements of kitchen sink drama.

If you really look at it, it has gangster also, lol.  Its a character study surrounded by gangster activity with a little bit of noir thrown in...

• Like 1