Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

VOTE: Who Should Have Been Oscar Nominated, But...

One of the greatest travesties in Academy Award history...Bobby Darin gets the nod for Best Supporting Actor for "Captain Newman, MD" (1963) while Eddie Albert, in the same film, is ignored. Albert's performance was breathtaking, unique and there has never been anything like it before or since. Darin wasn't half-bad, but couldn't come close to Eddie Albert in that movie.

Maybe the Academy likes singers over actors (and actresses). Cher for "Moonstruck." That was the dumbest Best Actress choice in world history. Sad.

There are so many actors who should have been nominated. I am sure I will be responding to this thread many times, as more names occur to me. Two that come to mind are from "The Music Man": Robert Preston and Hermione Gingold. I realize that it's tough for a musical to receive recognition at Oscar time, but these two performances were so great, and so funny. They definitely should have been on the list for that year.

Terrence.

Among the actors never nominated in any role are Donald Sutherland, Edward G. Robinson, Myrna Loy, and Maureen O'Hara.

The list of great performances not nominated would be endless. Diane Cilento in "Hombre," George Segal and James Fox in "King Rat," Harry Andrews and Ossie Davis in "The Hill," Lee Remick in both "Wild River" and "Anatomy of a Murder," Jo Van Fleet in "Wild River," Barbara Stanwyck, Judith Anderson, and Walter Huston in "The Furies" are a few that come immediately to mind. And Ralph Fiennes as Charles Van Doren in "Quiz Show"--a character who's both charismatic and weak, a tough combination to pull off.

Well, I think that maybe Eddie, should have ALSO been nominated. But, there is no way that Bobby's nomination should have been taken away from him. He was an excellent actor and gave a great performance. Eddie was nominated twice in the course of his career (and it was a shame he never won), but this was Bobby's single nomination. By 1973 (ten years later) Bobby was dead from heart-failure.

OK. Here's another I just though of---Lana Turner in "Madame X". She was far superior to her nomination for "Peyton Place." I read where one critic said that if the movie had done better at the box office, she would have been assured of a nomination. To me, this just does not make sense. I can think of many nominations and even winners that were for unsuccessful movies. Anyway, I've always felt Ms. Turner did an exceptional job.

Terrence.

Well there's the whole volume dedicated to Cary Grant performances that were never nominated:

1937 The Awful Truth

1938 Bringing up Baby

1939 Only Angels Have Wings

1940 His Girl Friday AND The Philadelphia Story

1946 Notorious

1959 North by Northwest

Here's one that most people wuold never think of---Shirley Booth in "Matchmaker." Before this, I had never seen her in a comedy, and she is nothing less than terrific. I don't think it did great business when it was released, but it is wonderful. And Ms. Booth does so much with the role of Dolly. Anyway, this one gets my vote.

Terrence.

Cary Grant in Suspicion and Notorious Lightweight charmer or bad guy, lover or clown--the man really could do it all--it's a crime he was never nominated.

Ava Gardner in Mogambo She played the "showgirl" with a heart of gold beautifully. Bawdy, fun, yet tender and vulnerable, especially when she's cautioning Grace Kelly's character about getting mixed up with Gable's Victor Marswell.

Marlene Dietrich in Witness for the Prosecution Elsa Lanchester's excellent comic turn as the Nurse stole the movie and unfortunately Dietrich's brittle and multi-layered portrayal of Christine Vole was ignored.

Farrah Fawcett in Extremities

Terence Stamp in The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of The Desert

Joel Grey in Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins

Roddy McDowall in Fright Night

Just a few I've always thought deserved nominations....it's almost criminal that Stamp didn't get nominated.

Welcome to

THE 75 GREATEST PERFORMANCES NEVER NOMINATED FOR AN ACADEMY AWARD!!!

First, off two provisos.

A. Performances in foreign language films aren't included. This isn't because there aren't any, but because the Academy so rarely bothers to acknowledge their existence it would be pointless to complain, at least in this individual post.

B. Performances by Cary Grant are omitted, because I already mentioned them in an earlier post.

So with that in mind...

1. Groucho Marx, Duck Soup

2. Myrna Loy, The Thin Man

3. Fred Astaire, Top Hat (or Swing Time, or The Gay Divorcee or...)

4. Ginger Rogers, Top Hat (or Swing Time, or The Gay Divorcee or..)

5. Charles Chaplin, Modern Times

6. Katharine Hepburn, Bringing up Baby

7. Judy Garland, The Wizard of Oz

8. Bert Lahr, The Wizard of Oz

9, Margaret Hamilton, The Wizard of Oz

10. James Stewart, The Shop Around the Corner

11. Rosalind Russell, His Girl Friday

12. Humphrey Bogart, The Maltese Falcon

13, Roger Livesey, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp

14, Lauren Bacall, To Have and Have Not

15. Ingrid Bergman, Notorious

16. Charles Chaplin, Monsieur Verdoux

17. Anton Walbrook, The Red Shoes

18, Robert Walker, Strangers on a Train

19, Henry Fonda, Twelve Angry Men

20. James Stewart, Vertigo

21, Kim Novak, Vertigo

22, Barbara Bel Geddes, Vertigo

23. Orson Welles, Touch of Evil

24, Marilyn Monroe, Some Like it Hot

25. James Mason, North by Northwest

26. Anthony Perkins, Psycho

27. James Mason, Lolita

28, Shelly Winters, Lolita

29, Peter Sellers, Lolita

30. George C. Scott, Dr. Strangelove, or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

31. Leo McKern, Help!

32, Leo McKern, A Man for All Seasons

33. Albert Finney, Two for the Road

34. Audrey Heburn, Two for the Road

35. Douglas Rain, 2001: A Space Odyssey (yes, he's only a voice, but what other man gave a better performance in 1968)

36. Boris Karloff, Targets

37. Malcolm McDowell, A Clockwork Orange

38. Gene Hackman, The Conversation

39. Peter Falk, A Woman Under the Influence

40. John Cazale, The Conversation, The Godfather Part II

41. Sean Connery, The Man who Would be King

42. Michael Caine, The Man who Would be King

43. Graham Chapman, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

44. Tim Curry, The Rocky Horror Picture Show

45. Peter Ustinov, Death on the Nile

46. Jack Nicholson, The Shining

47, Shelly Duvall, The Shining

48. Natassia Kinski, Tess

49. Leslie Nielsen, Airplane!

50. Steve Martin, The Man with Two Brains

51. Steve Martin, All of Me

52. Daryl Hannah, Splash

53. Tom Hanks, Splash

54. Harry Dean Stanton, Paris, Texas

55. Jonathan Pryce, Brazil

56. Holly Hunter, Raising Arizona

57. John Cleese, A Fish Called Wanda

58. Jeremy Irons, Dead Ringers

59. Daniel Day-Lewis, The Unbearable Lightness of Being

60. Lena Olin, The Unbearable Lightness of Being

61. Jack Lemmon, Glengarry Glen Ross

62. Bill Murray, Groundhog Day

63. Sandra Bullock, Speed

64. Morgan Freeman, Se7en

65. Ian MacKellan, Richard III

66. Bruce Willis, Twelve Monkeys

67. Mara Wilson, Matilda

68. Jennifer Tilly, Bound

69. Kevin Spacey, LA Confidential

70. Steve Martin, The Spanish Prisoner

71. Cameron Diaz, There's Something About Mary

72. John Cusack, High Fidelity

73. Joel Haley Osment, AI: Artificial Intelligence

74. Naomi Watts, Mulholland Drive

75. Robert Downey Jr., Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang

Tracey, you have made some good choices, but if I remember correctly, Ava Gardner did receive a nomination for "Mogambo",.And she was terrific in it. Who said she couldn't act?

Terrence.

Did she? Well, she deserved it. She nailed that part. She was very good as Maxine in Night of the Iguana, too. Too bad her looks distracted from her talent most of the time.

Another vote for Joel McCrea... in particular:

Foreign Correspondent

Sullivan's Travels

Palm Beach Story

That's 3 films in 4 years that IIRC were all Best Picture nominees... you'd think the lead actor might have had something to do with it.

Also off the top of my head... if any of these did get nominated, please correct me.

Van Heflin "Patterns (1956)

Kirk Douglas "Ace in The Hole" (1951)

Laurence Harvey "The Manchurian Candidate" (1962)

Fred Astaire and Anthony Perkins "On The Beach" (1959)

Was Fred MacMurray nominated for Double Indemnity? If not, he should have as well.

yes...YES!!! I had forgotten about Fred Astaire's stellar performance in "On the Beach." Oscar nomination ignored; maybe he should have won for that bit of work. And a big nod to the producers and casting bigshots for giving him his ONLY dramatic role, to that point. I think he was astounding.