Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The "Original" Pennies from Heaven

sewhite2000

I put "original" in quotes, because you could go back to the 1936 Bing Crosby movie with a completely different plot for the first use of the title, but I discovered tonight that three years before the Steve Martin movie, Pennies from Heaven was a six-part BBC mini-series starring Bob Hoskins! Has anyone seen it, and if so, how does it compare?

Bob Hoskins and Cheryl Campbell in Pennies from Heaven (1978)

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

I put "original" in quotes, because you could go back to the 1936 Bing Crosby movie with a completely different plot for the first use of the title, but I discovered tonight that three years before the Steve Martin movie, Pennies from Heaven was a six-part BBC mini-series starring Bob Hoskins! Has anyone seen it, and if so, how does it compare?

In case you're wondering, The Singing Detective was also a six-part BBC miniseries before Robert Downey Jr.--

But either way, Dennis Potter symbolic-deconstruction is not exactly the easiest thing to sit through--The Pennies miniseries just wasn't as cheery, toe-tapping and feel-good as the Steve Martin version.  ?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings