Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Glenda Farrell as SOTM November 2018

TopBilled

Not getting the sense that Dave Karger is exactly thrilled about Glenda Farrell being SOTM.  Keeps saying things like: "Well, even after she left WB, she was still only getting SUPPORTING ROLES!" (Oh, for shame!) His lack of enthusiasm about her is really annoying.  Ben or Alicia Malone would probably been better choices to host her segments it seems.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, lydecker said:

Not getting the sense that Dave Karger is exactly thrilled about Glenda Farrell being SOTM.  Keeps saying things like: "Well, even after she left WB, she was still only getting SUPPORTING ROLES!" (Oh, for shame!) His lack of enthusiasm about her is really annoying.  Ben or Alicia Malone would probably been better choices to host her segments it seems.

There's nothing wrong with getting supporting roles in prestigious "A" films. Not everyone can be or should be a box office draw. The tribute is meant to celebrate her performances, regardless of billing.

28 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

There's nothing wrong with getting supporting roles in prestigious "A" films. Not everyone can be or should a box office draw. This tribute is meant to celebrate her performances, regardless of billing.

Nor is there anything "wrong" (or less laudable) in working consistently for decades and handing in stellar performances on a consistent basis.  I'm going to check out his intros tonight and see if he is any more enthusiastic about Glenda.  So far, he's really bugging me . . . 

3 minutes ago, lydecker said:

Nor is there anything "wrong" (or less laudable) in working consistently for decades and handing in stellar performances on a consistent basis.  I'm going to check out his intros tonight and see if he is any more enthusiastic about Glenda.  So far, he's really bugging me . . . 

If he's focusing on her being a supporting player, that would suggest he doesn't consider her star material and consequently unworthy of a Star of the Month tribute. Hopefully that's not the case.

Perhaps a female host might have been a better choice for this series. Someone who could've more fully appreciated what Farrell accomplished and conveyed that to viewers.

4 hours ago, lydecker said:

While I found Glenda's sudden career shift rather odd how Dave is presenting this bugs me also.  

E.g.  it took me a while after seeing Johnny Eager to realized she played the small, serious role of a cop's wife in the film and I was surprised.  This was only 2 years after her last Torchy Blaine film and WB releasing her from her contract (Wyman would play the last Torchy film).      I also only realized latter that it was Farrell in the Grant\Arthur\Colman film Talk of the Town. 

Clearly Farrell having her own serial at WB and going to smaller roles,  often non-comic ones,  for various studios, was a major career shift and something a host of SOTM needs to mention.   But Dave could have done a lot better job of that.    So tonight he will be hosting films during Glenda's WB peek years.   Hopefully he provides inslight into her instead of,  say,  Joan Blondell (I only mention this because TCM runs the promo for Traveling Saleslady which features Joan more so then Glenda).

• Like 1

Watched a lot of those low budget Blondell \ Farrell and Dave's intros were fine by me.   Ok,  he didn't focus that much on Farrell but hey,  either did most of those films.     While they were billed as a team,  Joan was clearly the more leading player.  

As for why Farrell's career took a dive after being released by WB;  Hollywood being about looks, especially for women nearing 40,  I suspect that was the reason Jack Warner didn't re-sign her was because of that.    Farrell just didn't have that cute look and big lovely eyes like Blondell and looked older IMO (but with only a 2 year age difference between the two).    Also the Farrell persona wasn't as light;  yea, they were both sassy but with Joan it came out as playful and with Glenda there was more of a mean\angry side to it.     Did the mood of the war make that type of persona less appealing????

Of course while Blondell was able to play more comic roles during the war years,   she takes on a more mature role in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (but is still sassy 'Joan'),   but then Joan got a great mature part in Nightmare Alley.    Hey,  she still 'had it' IMO,  but her days as an IT type girl were clearly behind her.      

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings