Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

lust for life

NipkowDisc

Kirk Douglas is a good actor. I say that because I never find fault with him. I don't consider him a fave or anything but he seems to knock it out of park just about every time. If I had to think of a bad thing on pain of death I would reproach him for (reportedly) being unkind to Doris Day. He sure makes a good Van Gogh. Perfect casting. It's been too long to comment, so long that I don't even understand this thread. But that's okay, I am finally learning in my old age that it's okay not to understand something.

:lol:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, laffite said:

Kirk Douglas is a good actor. I say that because I never find fault with him. I don't consider him a fave or anything but he seems to knock it out of park just about every time. If I had to think of a bad thing on pain of death I would reproach him for (reportedly) being unkind to Doris Day. He sure makes a good Van Gogh. Perfect casting. It's been too long to comment, so long that I don't even understand this thread. But that's okay, I am finally learning in my old age that it's okay not to understand something.

:lol:

You really don't think that Kirk Douglas over does it from time to time?     Now as Van Gogh it was perfect casting since Van Gogh suffered from mental illness and being 'over board' was part of his persona.   But in some other roles Kirk does end up chewing the scenery.       

Still overall those moments don't impact my enjoyment of the film and Kirk was in many first rate productions.    

I haven't noticed it but I haven't seen the whole filmography. Just now thought, he had a bad moment in The Bad and the Beautiful when he suddenly flips out at Lana. That was jarring now that you have got me on that train of thought. It seemed overdone because I thought it was out of character to begin with. He had been rather smooth up to that point and suddenly he loses it so. But he went way to far. (And then that ghastly driving scene with Lana screaming, just awful).

Give me a couple of instances, if you can, you may be right. Perhaps I should have just said that he is dependable.

////

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2018 at 3:52 PM, NipkowDisc said:

just went off.

I would reedit this film and start it when van gogh moves into the yellow house.

:D

"you look too fast!
Image result for douglas quinn lust for life

"don't ever do that again."

Good idea, Nip and then they would have had more time for important events and could have put in some footage about how Van Gogh was ingesting lead in his system by sticking his paint brushes into his mouth, which was basically affecting his mind with potential lead poisoning effects.

Too bad you weren't arund back when it was filmed, Nip!

• Haha 1

On 8/26/2018 at 2:52 PM, NipkowDisc said:

just went off.

I would reedit this film and start it when van gogh moves into the yellow house.

:D

"you look too fast!

"don't ever do that again."

Nippy-- I'm most impressed with your interest in French art. Liza's dad, Vincente Minnelli was the perfect director for this movie because he loved French art so much.

When you get a chance you must tell us what you think about the Toulouse-Lautrec movie starring Jose Ferrer and Zsa Zsa Gabor, "Moulin Rouge".

I hope someday you may get to see some of these paintings in Paris, but you don't have to go that far because they have a good number of them in the art museum in Kansas City.

On 8/26/2018 at 6:19 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

You really don't think that Kirk Douglas over does it from time to time?     Now as Van Gogh it was perfect casting since Van Gogh suffered from mental illness and being 'over board' was part of his persona.   But in some other roles Kirk does end up chewing the scenery.       

Still overall those moments don't impact my enjoyment of the film and Kirk was in many first rate productions.    

Kirk was made to play VanGogh.  Any scenery chewing was more than on the menu in this case. As a matter of fact, judging by Kirk's usual 'enthusiasm' for a role, I'm surprised he didn't chew off his own ear!

I'm pretty sure he chewed off Tony Curtis' arm in  "THE VIKINGS". ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings