Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Did anyone watch "The Carpetbaggers" recently? If so please answer this question....

Debra Johnson

What happened to Cord's brother?  In one scene they show him entering a baby's room that looks as though it has not been entered into by anyone in years.  He has a flashback where he's asking for his brother and his dad tells him he's no longer a part of their lives (not that he's dead).  Cord breaks down crying remembering this event.  Later there is a scene where someone mentions his brother, there's a conversation (don't recall what it was) and Cord throws a glass of alcohol into a mirror.  In another scene b/COrd and his wife, the wife tells him he was afraid their daughter would inherit what ever was wrong w/his brother.

I can't figure out if the brother a.) died as a baby b.) killed himself later in life c.) was an alcoholic or had mental illness and was sent away to an asylum d.) the old man Cord had a wife at some point who ran off, taking only the baby. (since no mention was ever made of Cords mother....only the step mother).

I believe Jonas Cord's twin brother was insane and died as a child. The thought that insanity might run in his family haunted Cord (played by George Peppard in the 1964 film version of "The Carpetbaggers") for years.

Image result for george peppard as jonas cord

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Debra Johnson said:

What happened to Cord's brother?  In one scene they show him entering a baby's room that looks as though it has not been entered into by anyone in years.  He has a flashback where he's asking for his brother and his dad tells him he's no longer a part of their lives (not that he's dead).  Cord breaks down crying remembering this event.  Later there is a scene where someone mentions his brother, there's a conversation (don't recall what it was) and Cord throws a glass of alcohol into a mirror.  In another scene b/COrd and his wife, the wife tells him he was afraid their daughter would inherit what ever was wrong w/his brother.

I can't figure out if the brother a.) died as a baby b.) killed himself later in life c.) was an alcoholic or had mental illness and was sent away to an asylum d.) the old man Cord had a wife at some point who ran off, taking only the baby. (since no mention was ever made of Cords mother....only the step mother).

Jakeem beat me to the punch!
I'll just add the following....

In The Carpetbaggers movie, Junior's twin brother was reportedly incurably insane. It is implied that young Jonas (and likely his father, as well) believed it  to have been a hereditary condition, and this provides part of the rationale for young Jonas's wild impetuous behavior as he wanted to get as much out of life as quickly as he could before he himself became stricken with the same symptoms of the "family" curse of insanity.
In the movie it isn't exactly made clear what ultimately happened to Junior's twin... Alive and institutionalized or dead, he became "dead" to both his father and young Jonas at an early age.
Considering that the time frame was in the early 1920's and the Eugenics movement was in full swing within the U.S. at that time, the rationale made some "sense" for those times (and added to the "mysterious" part of the plot).

The 1964 movie was based on the 1961 bestselling novel "The Carpetbaggers" by Harold Robbins. Though claimed a work of pure fiction, both the book and movie paralleled and parodied several notable and "famous" personalities, some of which were still alive at the time of the books publication and the movies release. Because of the deliberate similarities, the fiction disclaimers were heavily publicized (albeit with tongue in cheek) to prevent lawsuits.

Incidentally this movie also served as the inspiration for a prequel... Nevada Smith (1966), an adventure western directed by Henry Hathaway with Steve McQueen playing the titular character which was also based on a character in the Robbins novel.
In the Nevada Smith movie Brian Keith plays Jonas Cord (Sr.), a traveling arms and munitions "dealer" in the latter half of the "old" west, who befriends and mentors a young Max Sand (aka Nevada Smith) who was on a quest to hunt down the three murderers of his family (excellently portrayed by Martin Landau, Arthur Kennedy, & Karl Malden).
The supporting cast also includes such notables as Suzanne Pleshette, Raf Vallone, Janet Margolin, Pat Hingle, Howard Da Silva, Paul Fix, Iron Eyes Cody,  and a young (and uncredited) Loni Anderson.

FWIW, I have suggested on these boards that TCM show these movies back-to-back sometime...

BTW, If you enjoy westerns, and haven't yet seen Nevada Smith, and were intrigued by The Carpetbaggers, and like well made back-story prequels, then I highly recommend it for a viewing.
Also might pick up a copy of the Harold Robins book and any good Howard Hughes bio for a couple of "intriguing" reads.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Debra Johnson said:

But how could you tell a child is insane?  And if it wasn't while he was a child that whatever happened happened.....why was his untouched room that of a very young child?  So confusing.  But the movie was pretty good.  I enjoyed it.

Have you seen The Bad Seed?

Hey thanks for the discussion and insights. I recorded this upon my brother's request (it's not readily available anywhere) and wondered what was interesting about it. Sounds like we'll enjoy watching this together, then discussing our impressions when we get together in a few weeks.

• Thanks 1

I had never, never seen "The Carpetbaggers" until this past weekend.  Despite the horrible critical reviews, I thought it was "ok" trash . . .mildly enjoyable watching all of these over-the-top performances.  Interesting to see Bob Cummings play such a creep.  Talk about playing against type!  

It was interesting to read the TCM article about this film and hear how George Peppard was a jerk and a "legend in  his own mind."  I never really got this actor who was clearly quite hot in the early 60's.  Serviceable but nothing special. 

37 minutes ago, lydecker said:

It was interesting to read the TCM article about this film and hear how George Peppard was a jerk and a "legend in  his own mind."  I never really got this actor who was clearly quite hot in the early 60's.  Serviceable but nothing special. 

I like Peppard. His career started out with a bang in some noteworthy movies: "Home from the Hill," "Breakfast at Tiffany's" (opposite Audrey Hepburn), "How the West Was Won," "The Victors," "The Carpetbaggers," "Operation Crossbow" and "The Blue Max" (pictured below -- my favorite film of his).

He later became a comfortable presence in the 1970s NBC TV series "Banacek" ("There's an old Polish proverb that says..."). And then there was a popular 1980s action program in which he starred as the leader of a band of fugitive Vietnam veterans. 

Has he ever had a Summer Under the Stars tribute?

Image result for the blue max

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings