Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Top 10 Selling items of MOVIE-MEMORABELIA & OTHER TRIVIA/FACTS

spence

I just saw this last night, channel surfing,etc  BELOW IS A LIST-(fact based) OF THE ALL-TIME/TO DATE BIGGEST SELLING ITEMS OF MOVIE MEMORABELIA   So I immediately thought of you folks & wrote them down immediately for those interested?

A NO. #1  JAMES BOND ASTON MARTIN DBS DISPLAYED IN THE 1964 CLASSIC "GOLDFINGER" (***1/2) IT WENT FOR OVER  $4.6 million in 2010) & OF COURSE STARRING THEE BEST BOND OF ALL: *SIR SEAN CONNERY-(l930-)

2nbd place MARILYN MONROE'S-(l926-l962) NOW FAMOUS WHITE DRESS SHE WORE IN 1955's "SEVEN YEAR ITCH" (20th Century Fox) (***1/2) ($4.6m. in 2011)-(TRIVIA: As most say & know MM was never an official *AMPAS contender-(shoulda' been for '56's "Bus Stop") However AFI-(American Film Institute) did her ok by voting her as the 6th all-time female star

3rd place STEVE ("The King of Movie Cool") McQUEEN'S-(l930-80)-(NOTE: I've often wrote this, but it's still fun) Steve was my very first idol & hero when I was just a wee Irish lad of 9 to age 15! & to a lesser degree back then was EVEL (Robert) KNIEVEL-(l938-2007) HIS WHITE RACING SUIT FROM A PASSION PROJECT> BUT A $FINANCIAL FAILURE$ 1971's "LE MAN'S" (***) In 2011 STEVE'S SUIT SOLD FOR $984,000-(P.S. For fellow fans of McQueen's search for, it's easy to locate online & cable often airs it too(youtube) & it's about 2hrs on the making of this car racing epic

4th *AUDREY HEPBURN'S-(l929-l993) AFI's #3 all-time ranking on the female side in it's 1999 poll & tv special. HAD HER DRESS FROM 1961's marvelous (3 & 1/2) hit & nom for her "BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S" in 06 sold for $807.000) & *AUDREY earned 5 noms & 1 victory for "Roman Holiday" ALSO ON THIS DELICATE FLOWER_(as George on tv's "Seinfeld" called her once) CHECK THIS FACTOID OUT, PLEASE: *Audrey, Burton, Garbo, James Mason & of course *& CHARLES (Spencer) CHAPLIN, all lived & even in death loved Switzerland/Sweden so much they chose to be interred there as well!

5th place THE SEEMINGLY EVERYWHERE-(heck, I';ve seen them at 3 studios meself) RUBY RED SLIPPERS JUDY (Dorothy) GARLAND-(l922-69) wore in the legendary 1939 "WIZARD OF OZ" (M-G-M) (Sold-(AGAIN>) at Auction for $666,000 in 2000 On that note note of JUDY, AFI now voted her as #6th in it's 99 poll-(ALSO MY FAVOIRITE OF THE NOW TOO-MANY AFI "100yrs SPECIALS!")

( WORK IN PROGRESS, please do not delete,etc)

6. DeLOREAN AUTOMOBILE of course from '85 massive smash hit$$$ "BACK TO THE FUTURE" (strong ***) ($208m. gross) When in 2011 this famous car-(which only got it's huge fame because of it's maker & above all the flick, as you TCM-ITES already now) Going for $541,000)-(FOOTNOTE: & this is one cool little dude  Michael J., Fox-(l961-) denotes most of it's proceeds t finding a cure for PARINSON'S DISEASE) & even some may or may not know this Tinsel-Town funfact/around 1995 or so, maybe '96 at the latest TCM had a 3 star special docu hosted by M.J. & even on the studio tour in town UNVERSAL in BURBANKL!-(thinking of it, this absolutely should have been shot at WARER BROS. instead?~!! He opened this program-(I still own it somewhere in boxes on vhs) saying "WHEN I WAS A KID MOST ALL THE OTHER KIDS IN MY ORBIT WANTED TO BE JAMES DEAN,BUT NOT ME, I WANTED TO BE *JIMMY CAGNEY  Unquote  Obviously his program then contained about 85% of *JAMES (Francis) CAGNEY (*l899-l986) & M.J. was y no means alone I his heroic feeling forthe 1842 *Oscar victor & not only was awarded only it's '74 award, but in the forementioned poll fromsummer'99, *CAGNEY was overall a vote given/ahead  of fellow Irish Mafia buddy *TRACY!  Which is another thing *SPENCE woulda' scoffed at anyway& even if he'd still been around in '73, when AFI est it's lifetime honor, he never, ever would have accepted it. AnywayI'msurprised*JOHN "Pappy" Ford did so, but also passed weeks later (ANOTHER TIP: LOOK UP the "MARVELOUS" whom loved that word for some reason, as do Nancy SINATRA-(l940-) & again,m I was lucky enough to tape most of the heavywgt Dick Cavett-(l935-)sessions w/*KATE, Mitchum-(getting loaded through the interview), Hitch, he did 3 with Groucho & Cavett makes it clear w/each passing interview, SADLY Julius Henry Marx-(l890-=l977) waslosing it a tiny bit more. But *BANDOP took the cake BVIG-TIME! He had just finished another eventual *Oscar nom 1973's brilliantly performed, but just too bizarro "LAST TANGO IN PARIS" Welp, *Marlon wanted to go to a restuarant(with Cavett of course) in Chinatown A seedy area accordingto Dick too! Now=-(SOORY FOR A LONG STORY,JUST LOVE SHARING WITH OTHERS) theres a still around paparazzo-(a he calls himself& dislikes the one's in this era, peeking windows, more) RON GALLELA-(l931-)( & he was all the way across the street) from *MARLON-(who only heard of Ron) & Cavbett, so as Dick says to this day "Which One's Galella" he muttered & Dick only pointed him out, all f a sudden*BRANDO ran across that st & punch him in his teeth & jaws do hard he smashed his face, teeth were virtually all broken, hearing losing a bit. He sued *MARLON & WON OF COURSE & The Judge ordered he stay something like 25-35 feet away, so there are lots of shots of Gelella wearing a football helmet when even near one of the worlds all-timegreatest actors! WHOOPS, I got off other *CAGNEY-ITE'S, besides MichselJ., David Huddleston, Ronald Reagan-(yep, he worked at Warner Bros. with his movie idol *CAGNEY there & many decades later got to present him with THE MEDAL OF FREEDOM AWARD The duo of course were politically opposite *JIM was an old-fashion Irish democrat. Like *TRACY & others of that era & way before then. Others in THE CAGNEY CAMP>*0rson Welles called him the moist animated actor in the biz *Eastwood's often talks about his heroes>*Coop-(obviously from *Clint's great dialogue),, *J. Stewart & even *Cagney,*rt (Ed Norton) Carney & won an EMMY(his 6th)( for *James very last 1984 tv-movie TERRIBLE JOE MORN (***), John Travolta-(even was invited up to his Verney Farms  N.Y.ranch),Gene Siskel's fav. actor, Joel Siegel's-(sadly also gone already?), *Elia Kazan, V. Mayo, *Joan Blondell, Ann Sheridan,Charles Durning-(l923-2012)-(served at Normandy for real) & always called *CGNEY his lifelong HERO, *Michael Curtiz, Floyd Patterson-(fmr world heavyweight champ, but this was his hero & pallbearer), Frank McHugh,  *GEORGE C. SCOTT,  Mae Clarke,  Busby Berkeley, Raoul Walsh & more, but this kind of list pales in comparison with followers, fans, idolizers with *CAGNEY pal-(though in reality *TRACY as closest to *B0GEY.-(nickname he started) & it was he & *Kate that Bacall always said where last people to visit *Humphrey(DeForest) Bogart-(l899-l957) he had to use a dumbwaiter of sorts to come downstairs & as she & *Kate described the ailing actor only looked about 85lbs. at best & of course not bothering to wear his toupee either.  *SPENCER'S final word to his friend way back even before HOLLYWOOD. Was> "We're On Our Way"   But, the worlds greatest actor himself almost bought it less than 2yrs after! He suffered what was essentially a lg heart attack in 1959. & *"His Kate" as he later always call her  THE LADY-(9191 St,. Ives, Drive in technically LA) & still there, for now anyway? But most say she virtually saved his life in the 1959 tragedy. There are a few photos of the incident-(him pulling sheet oiver his mug in back of ambulance & a really bad & sad shot of Louise trying to just start her car. , but she called ambulance-(*KATE), got house in order & made sure she'd leave, just like his June of 1`967 funeral, she was in the procession for miles, then only blocks away from GLENDALKE'S "F. Lawn"-(for some strange reason Glendale itself is about 70% or more  (Armenian?) But, she pulled away>"WHAT A CLASSY WOMAN"-HUH) As *Bogey said in THE BIG SLEEP (l946-WB's) about Bacall, "I DIDN'T THINK THEY MADE 'EM LIKE THAT AYMNORE" unquote  My gut since I musta' only been 15 & feels more positive ever since is & she has said NO WAY, that she never even visited his Garden Grave all way at vey top, I'm about 80% positive she snuck u there-Had to be in a car, on my 2nd vacation to top of that mt my ear drums actually popped from the altitude & on my 1sttriup-(April '99) like a big Irish dummy, I was already disabled-(lumbar section of lower back & other ailments) but I was on a QUEST" ever since 1st seeing it on M. Douglas show around 1979. So I marched all the way up Thing that also stunned my poor> madre/mum/ mohd & mother ROBYNE Was her first thought besides the size of this monolithic cemetary nicknamed: ("THE DISNEYLAND OF CEMETARIES")  Is just how I knew where such & such was located>  Books, Maps-(but it';s rumour is accurate, they are still off off putting to the fans ) Now vs. likes of "HOLLYWOOD, FOREVER PARK-(prefer that to cemetary myseflf) It's located bordering PARAMOUNT & RKO RADIO-(I never even knew the 2 shared the lot?) Joseph P. Kennedy-(l886-l969) Back when he & DIETRICH were a known item.  started RKO & installed it now legendary Globe on corner of Melrose & Gower-(NOT A GOOD AREA, ESPECIALLY THE WOMEN AT NIGHT ANYMORE.) I HEARD GUNSHOTS IN A NICE G. STORE KATE)  Gates & barred windows on virtually every place nowadays & to top it off, RKO's original side has barred with steel windows all the way up the street on Gower! But, anybody would have to be an idiot not to notice this/.something when on the very good (3 & 1/2) Paramount Tour. On 1 side of the lot it's modern days, architecture, the & if you just stepover a line in the floor, YOU THROW YOURSELF BACK INTO THE 19830's! Then they shot tv's ET in a couple small rooms on RKO's side. But see my friends & again unfortunately like most of this era, people like newest & latest no matter how great the difference is ether   Never understood that, I understand it,but it almost disgusts me though. I was far more intrigued about RKO RADIO STUDIOS_(est: 1929 to 1960) & constantly nagged tour guide of exactly what s. stages "KAE OR "KONG" were filmed in & got photos  Now one amazing aspect of PARAMOUNT & It's  tour. Many still don't believe me, so check up on me please The legendary parking of the red sea filming was really done in Paramount's parking lot!!! SEE: they have a large paring lot outside & usually lots of cars are parked in there, it's closed in with a fairly tall cement wall. So when studio needs a huge water sequence they take these cars out & simply fill it up w/water-(ALSO USED AT END OF: "THE TRUMAN SHOW" "CHEERS" & MANY MORE!)  &  "ALL SMOKE & MIRRORS" Sports Fans

Back in I think the 1950's? Overall there are & this fact is from about 1998 or so (over 270,000 people laid the rest)  watching a month or less f TCM is like GLENDALE'S inhabitents  AND, OOPS, THIS WAS PREVIOUSLY WRITTEN TO GO UP THE PAGE ABOUT GLENDALE & THE OTHER CEM/PARK THEY COULDN'T BE MORE FAN FRIENDLY & IS ONLY  (3 & 1/2 ACRE "WESTWOOD, PARK")

A VERY, VERY TOUCHY THING TO THIS MICK-(hope that doesn't offend any others Irish people?)-(CHECK OUT IRELAND ONLINER< OR JUST CLICK IN THE RIVER SHANNON-(my last name) & IT'S NOT ONLY THE LARGEST RIVER ION ALL OF IEKAND-(near "INSFREE" in the great 1952 "QUIET MAN" they mention both & always has been & will continue to be my #10th fav. picture ever!),(TRIVIA & FUN & *OSCAR DATA & I SHOULKDN'T GIVE AWAY/DIVULGE MY HANCAPPING SECRETS, BUT HERE GOES>*Ford won his 4th & record BD statue for "The quiet Man" but it lost to sob-(another story) *De Mille )  IT'S ALSO THE A NO. 1 COUNTRY I'D MOST LOVE TO VISIT"-(small chance), 2nd ITALY & SICILY & 3rd ENGLAND.-(but all say it's by no means no was we grew upon seeing the UK especially London(ALWAS WANTED TO SPEND C'MAS TIMNE IN THERE, ALA: CHARLKES DICKENS,etc)

WELL, I ABSOLUTELY DIGRESSED!  Sorry, but mostly I hope you read but all & even more so send you comments on any of this

AS CITED AT TOP "AWORK IN PROGRESS" Because I still must complete it & list remaining (4) "ALL-TIME TOP SELLING MOVIE-MEMORABELIA  LIST!!!"

(P.S., & a hint, once you take in all the top ten, THEN I HAD TO INSISTED UPON A I;VE DONE ONLINE & MANY WEBSIES ABOIT A DECADE NOW IN THIS LIST & ALL OTHERS LEAVE OUT WHAT I DUBBED YRS AGO  "THE MALTESE SPENCER"-(tell you next tiume & again, unfair?)  I had the original ^ perbyy cauht shot from that Sotheby';s action enlarged & lamented on his pt of my WALLS-OF-FAME"   However & I have seen a lot of *SINATRA busts/sculptures, but the one I have & again most things are either framed or lamenated-(BETTER!) on his WAL:L-OF-FAME AREA & this shot of a sculpture done by a fella named Robert Burks in '76 looks creepy to anyone that look at it. *"THE CHAIORMAN" actually looks like something from tv s "Walking Dead?" Punks in Hoboken & other pts of New Jersey smashed up his & other actions,etc

7th place THE MALTESE FALCON  Sold for $4.1 million at auction & was listed among most expensive pieces of film memorabilia, but had once went for $383.000 & atone time was rumored to be in the basement of actor William Conrad?

8th place LUKE SKYWALKER'S LIGHT SABER from "Star Wars: A New Hope" (l977) & 1980's "The Empire Strikes Back" & sold fort $240.000

9th *OSCAR WINNER: *AUDREY HEPBURN'S WHITE ASCOT DRESS from 8 time sweeping 1964's *"MY FAIR LADY" (l964) Was sold at auction for an incredibal $3.7m

& 10th place COWARDLY LION COSTUMNE WORN BY BERT LAHR in "THE WIZARD OF OZ" in 2014 NY Auction fort $3 million. & weighs 60lbs

THANK YOU

. GEE, I know you fellow TCM-ITES on here & the ultimate $question$ on this topic, is just how much$ Kirk Kirkorian had made on that dispicabally amoral to history & people that just love THE M.O.V.I.E.S. grosed all by himself in his auctioning off what was thee greatest& grandest of all HOLLYWOOD DREAM FACTORES  METRO-GOLDWYN-MAYER (EST: 1924-)???  I know one will have that answer

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 11:37 AM, CaveGirl said:

Thanks, Spence!

It was fun to read this list of things. I recall some of the events like the one about Marilyn's dress, and also the Maltese Falcon statue and the Cowardly Lion suit.

Enjoyed reading the details of your post!

Cavegirl, thanks for logging in, had hoped more would though   Do you have a personal WISH-0LIDST you could have of MOVIE-MEMORABELIA?

Think I included mine somewhere on this or another post  MY A #! is whjat I call THE MALTESE TRACXY  a sculpture that *His Kate-(as he later came to call her) sculpted once. I had photo enlarged & it's on his section of my own WALLS-Of-FAME

NATALIE WOOD'S White SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS HAT

Please try & think of your chosen few, same goes for others

On 9/1/2018 at 1:51 PM, papyrusbeetle said:

Thanks for your interesting post---this is a wonderful world to DIVE in to.

My DREAM memorabilia "buy" would be any of the Charlie Chan movie posters, the one-sheets.

These are gorgeous, and VERY, VERY  expensive now, like the price of a CAR.

Why not buy a reproduction? They're a fraction of the cost and look exactly the same when framed on your wall?

I was just looking at my framed movie posters and some have wrinkles and flaws I wish weren't there.

Debbie Harry of Blondie used to own one of MM's dresses from THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH. When MM died, all her clothing was bequeathed to Lee Strasberg who promptly took most of it to the nearest Goodwill Thrift store. Debbie Harry was lucky enough to snag a few items, apparently there were identifying tags in everything, including MMs bras.

OP TLDR

On 9/26/2018 at 12:41 AM, spence said:

Cavegirl, thanks for logging in, had hoped more would though   Do you have a personal WISH-0LIDST you could have of MOVIE-MEMORABELIA?

Think I included mine somewhere on this or another post  MY A #! is whjat I call THE MALTESE TRACXY  a sculpture that *His Kate-(as he later came to call her) sculpted once. I had photo enlarged & it's on his section of my own WALLS-Of-FAME

NATALIE WOOD'S White SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS HAT

Please try & think of your chosen few, same goes for others

Hmmm, I'd like the outfit worn by Ann-Margret in the movie "Bye Bye Birdie" for the song, "Got a Lot of Living to Do".

Fun topic, Spence and thanks for asking!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings