Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Great Movie Partnerships that never happened

skimpole

One might think watching Ernst Lubitsch's suave urbane comedies that nobody would be better for them than one of the greatest of all actors, the impeccably stylish and superbly comic Cary Grant.  Truly it would be a match made in heaven.  It was certainly not a match made in Hollywood, since they never worked together (even though Grant was considered for the lead in Ninotchka).  This leads me to wonder what other great movie partnerships could have happened, but never did.

• Like 1

Interesting topic.

And although I may be wrong( and in spite of two completely different approaches to comedy) I don't recall JERRY LEWIS and JACK LEMMON ever working together.  OR Jerry with WOODY ALLEN.  

SCTV once did a "send-up" idea of BOB HOPE and Woody working together.  Was hilarious.

Sepiatone

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

SCTV once did a "send-up" idea of BOB HOPE and Woody working together.  Was hilarious.

My favorite sketch from one of my favorite shows.

Dave Thomas was the only person who could do a great impression of Bob Hope, Rick Moranis was equally good as Woody. It was great how Bob tells Woody that he didn't want any of his neurosis or psychosis in his film, just write some jokes and bring in a busty blonde. Joe Flaherty shows up as the ghost of Bing Crosby to give Woody some advice on working with Bob.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Dave Thomas was the only person who could do a great impression of Bob Hope, Rick Moranis was equally good as Woody. It was great how Bob tells Woody that he didn't want any of his neurosis or psychosis in his film, just write some jokes and bring in a busty blonde. Joe Flaherty shows up as the ghost of Bing Crosby to give Woody some advice on working with Bob.

Little did we realize, Woody was flat-out playing Bob Hope as a labor of love in Love and Death (1975).  And got Hope's one-liner rhythms down pat.  :D

In his own PBS documentary and one on Hope, Woody later claimed the 40's "My Favorite Coward" Road-picture Bob Hope was his comic childhood hero, growing up--"I always wanted to be the little guy who could talk big and brag his way out of a situation like that."  But we didn't know that back in the 70's SCTV days when Woody was making "Annie Hall", and Bob was making unfunny rightwing NBC specials and only remembered for Anita Ekberg.

9 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Of course I had to search YouTube and find it for myself:

(Part two is there also )

I love it. The actors have the voices down pat. SCTV did quite a few bits on old hollywood.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, darkblue said:

I've always imagined that Brando and Monroe could have been in a terrific movie together.

It would have been about a couple on the run from the mob - a serious drama.

I see it as a working class guy who falls madly in love with a blonde. Yet, once she realizes she can do much better, she does. And as he realizes he can't have her all to himself, he stands out in the street in the pouring rain calling out her name as she is driven away in some limousine.

8 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

I see it as a working class guy who falls madly in love with a blonde. Yet, once she realizes she can do much better, she does. And as he realizes he can't have her all to himself, he stands out in the street in the pouring rain calling out her name as she is driven away in some limousine.

Yeah, that sounds like Brando. 

Last Tango in Pittsburg?

• Haha 2

On 8/29/2018 at 4:39 AM, darkblue said:

I've always imagined that Brando and Monroe could have been in a terrific movie together.

It would have been about a couple on the run from the mob - a serious drama.

"Terrific" in the literal sense of the word, maybe.  ;)

And of course, you DID read in one of Brando's "autobiographies" of his claim of once having "done" Monroe, haven't you?  Supposedly, before either one of them had any real "claim" to fame.....

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

And of course, you DID read in one of Brando's "autobiographies" of his claim of once having "done" Monroe, haven't you? 

Nope.

All I ever read concerning her and him was that he saw her at a Hollywood party sitting alone at a piano and thought she seemed sad.

No idea if it's true or not.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings