Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Other Side of the Wind

LawrenceA

10 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

I'm sure Netflix put some money into it to get to this point. They might as well claim it as their own.

Makes me wonder what other films sitting around that could be brought to the light of day .

True. There could be some other films that are salvaged. 

I'm curious to see if people will enjoy THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WIND or if they will compare it ruthlessly to Welles' other more famous films.

• Like 1

I'm intrigued by the trailer! Although I acknowledge the editing there may misrepresent the feel of the actual film.

On the topic of Welles, I watched The Magnificent Ambersons the other night for the first time in a long time. I had really forgotten everything about the plot, except I vaguely remembered it had something to do with Joseph Cotten re-emerging into the life of a woman he'd loved long ago. I know it was hacked down from 141 to 88 minutes while Welles was off in South America or something, and I'm sorry nothing survives of what was lost. Saving footage for the director's cut on the DVD was not a priority back then, apparently! ?

Robert Wise was primarily responsible for the final cut, and I have to say for nearly cutting the movie in half, what remains is surprisingly coherent and has a strong narrative. So, props to Wise for salvaging what he could. It holds together so well that I'm curious what was missing! The final shot of Cotten and Moorehead walking down a hall toward the camera is the most generic in the movie. My understanding is that this quick-explanation ending with a redemptive note was a total studio add-on. Otherwise, the film is chock full of many unusual and arty shots that I think were probably European-influenced, but they don't distract from the narrative.

It makes me wish things could have worked out better between Welles and RKO. I dream of a world where he kept cranking out a movie of comparable quality and innovation for them every year or two like Wilder at Paramount or Capra at Columbia. They couldn't have all been Kane, of course, but no doubt they all would have been interesting!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

I'm intrigued by the trailer! Although I acknowledge the editing there may misrepresent the feel of the actual film.

Actually, as I was somewhat surprised to find out, the entire film was intended to and is cut in that jagged-edge montage, flashy style that the trailer presents, so editing wise, it will be like the Oliver Stone films of the early 90s: JFK, Heaven and Earth, Natural Born Killers.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

On the topic of Welles, I watched The Magnificent Ambersons the other night for the first time in a long time. I had really forgotten everything about the plot, except I vaguely remembered it had something to do with Joseph Cotten re-emerging into the life of a woman he'd loved long ago. I know it was hacked down from 141 to 88 minutes while Welles was off in South America or something, and I'm sorry nothing survives of what was lost. Saving footage for the director's cut on the DVD was not a priority back then, apparently! ?

Robert Wise was primarily responsible for the final cut, and I have to say for nearly cutting the movie in half, what remains is surprisingly coherent and has a strong narrative. So, props to Wise for salvaging what he could. It holds together so well that I'm curious what was missing! The final shot of Cotten and Moorehead walking down a hall toward the camera is the most generic in the movie. My understanding is that this quick-explanation ending with a redemptive note was a total studio add-on. Otherwise, the film is chock full of many unusual and arty shots that I think were probably European-influenced, but they don't distract from the narrative.

It makes me wish things could have worked out better between Welles and RKO. I dream of a world where he kept cranking out a movie of comparable quality and innovation for them every year or two like Wilder at Paramount or Capra at Columbia. They couldn't have all been Kane, of course, but no doubt they all would have been interesting!

We all know Welles wasn't the only director/producer that had to deal with studio heads that merely pretended  to know what they thought  that we, the audience, was supposed  to like!  

Back in those days, MANY an actor, actress, director or whomever lost their livelyhoods because some suit's wife or sweetheart didn't like something about them.  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/29/2018 at 12:25 PM, LawrenceA said:

Netflix has unveiled a poster and a trailer for the Orson Welles directed The Other Side of the Wind.

pOzSizE.jpg

For me, any vestige of film left from the project would be of interest. From what I've seen of the trailer, it looks promising and fascinating. Thanks for the heads up!

18 hours ago, Dargo said:

HEY! Was that an old Triumph motorcycle in that clip there???

Yeah...YEAH, I think it WAS!

(...gotta see this thing NOW, boy!) ;)

LOL

I bet you are also a fan of Dylan's album "Highway 61 Revisited", aren't you, Dargo?

I only charge $9.99 per minute on a personal prognostication phone call to predict other things about your life with my innate psychic abilities. Which charge card will you be using?

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings