Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Wine and Pop Corn Pairings

So....what kind of popcorn goes with what kind of movie?  Say.....

KETTLE CORN with one of the MA AND PA KETTLE movies?  ;) 

CARAMEL CORN with one of those all too syrupy, sacharrine AUDREY HEPBURN flicks?

Inquiring minds want to know-----

Sepiatone

16 hours ago, bocalovestheclassics said:

I have been having wine and pop corn pairings for years. I had no idea it was so chique.

They had to say pop corn in the ads since pop corn is a generic product and they don't want to give free advertising to branded snacks.

I bet they really eat Cheetos with their Coppola Cabernet Sauvignon. Orange hands are the new Noir.

Here are some yummy POP CORN  alternatives for the TCM WINE CLUB?

Here’s How To Pair Your Popcorn With Your Wine For The Perfect Movie Night

By Emily Abrams 01/25/2018

FacebookTwitterPinterestMail
best-popcorn-wien-pairings-750x549.jpg

Flickr/H. Michael Miley

Wine and popcorn are a winning combination, but if you’re going to be loyal to your favorite movie snack, you might as well do it right. Pick the right popcorn for your wine so that your taste buds get the best action while you’re sucked into Netflix.  Whether you buy your popcorn already flavored or you add your own spice blend to the bag, here’s how to pick the right vino.

Buttered Popcorn And Chardonnay

If you’re going to stick with buttered popcorn, you might as well choose a buttery Chardonnay to go with it. The popcorn brings out the nutty flavors in the Chardonnay and the buttery flavors of the wine complement the rich-buttered popcorn taste.

These offerings are for real perhaps they were inpired by EPICURIOUS MAGAZINE

Sharp Cheddar Popcorn And Cabernet Sauvignon

A dry full-bodied Cabernet Sauvignon pairs really well with extra sharp cheddar. The red wine highlights the saltiness and bold cheddar flavors.

Cilantro Lime Popcorn And Pinot Grigio

The freshness of the cilantro and the refreshing citrus flavor will definitely work with a crisp Pinot Grigio. Channel your inner suburban mom and sip on some Pinot with your cilantro-spiked popcorn.

Truffle Popcorn And Pinot Noir

Popcorn-Winter-Warm-And-Cozy-Coffee-1975

Max Pixel

If you add a little truffle oil or truffle salt to your popcorn, an earthy Pinot Noir is perfect to compliment the umami earthiness of the truffles.

Sea Salt And Chocolate Popcorn And Merlot

Chocolate and red wine are a perfect duo, especially when the chocolate is coating your popcorn and then it’s all just a genuinely enjoyable time. A little bit of natural sea salt mixed in there will bring out the rich flavors of the Merlot.

Cinnamon Sugar Popcorn And Sparkling Wine

A little sprinkle of cinnamon sugar on your popcorn works with white sparkling wines like Asti Spumanti or a little Prosecco.

Rosemary Popcorn And Zinfandel

Zinfandel is lighter in color than other popular red wines like Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. You’ll get notes of black pepper, jam and licorice. The spiciness of the Zinfandel works with a fragrant, woody herb like rosemary.

Cumin Popcorn And Red Bordeaux

jessy-smith-496883.jpg

Unsplash

Red Bordeaux wines are medium to full-bodied with aromas of black currant and plums. There’s an earthiness to a red Bordeaux that works with an earthy, nutty spice like cumin.

Paprika Popcorn And Cabernet Sauvignon

Cabernet grapes are complex and give the wine rich, bold and earthy flavors of black cherry, oak, currant and plum. Paprika has a bit of a pungent and peppery taste. It’s made from ground bonnet pepper and it lends a natural brick-red color to your food. You can sprinkle sweet Hungarian paprika or smoked paprika on your popcorn, and a rich Cabernet would work either way.

Jalapeño Cheddar Popcorn And Zinfandel

A dry, red Zinfandel has hints of dark jam and black pepper. The fruitiness and spiciness pair well with the jalapeño and the saltiness of the cheddar.

Perhaps, they were inspired by the late lamented EPICURIOUS MAGAZINE?

13 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

What movie pairs with Microwave popcorn and Thunderbird ?? :lol:

Hmmm...Thunderbird..ahem.."wine", you say Gerald?

Gotta be a James Mason movie, now wouldn't it?!

(...and you of course know why, I presume) ;)

Of course, I always thought the whole matching wines to movies as stupid.  And now matching wines to POPCORN is even MORE stupid.  The  whole idea is so utterly and ridiculously pretentious that it makes me want to pay for a "contract" on those "sibling chefs" and all others involved with this crap.  

Sepiatone

15 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Of course, I always thought the whole matching wines to movies as stupid.  And now matching wines to POPCORN is even MORE stupid.  The  whole idea is so utterly and ridiculously pretentious that it makes me want to pay for a "contract" on those "sibling chefs" and all others involved with this crap.  

Sepiatone

I see it as something similar to people who throw parties and dress up to get together and watch a certain classic film. I could see serving guests southern cocktails and snacks for a viewing of Gone with the Wind, for example. Its all in fun, not to be taken too seriously. Unless its expensive wine, that would have to be taken seriously :lol:

I don't often drink and when I do its beer. So when they begin to pair films and snacks with lagers or stouts, then I will be able to relate.

• Haha 1

Well, I never knew anyone that ever threw a "movie watching party".  I suppose some classic movie "event" at some theatrer would make the dressing up more sensible.  But only if the theater invited patrons to "dress-up" for the showing.

Those folks who, in some cases, dress up as characters for some "Star Trek" movie or whatever have some "issues" too, IMHO.  I'm all for a good time too, but NOT at the expense of my DIGNITY.  ;)

Sepiatone

In my first job out of college, I tried to host a "movie watching party". I rented Citizen Kane from Blockbuster, because, you know, this was back in the days when it always won the Sight & Sound poll, so I figured my party should have the greatest movie of all time! I wasn't so ambitious as to print out invites, but I went around to everyone in my office and let them know there would be snacks and beverages at my apartment. And the night of the event ... no one came! I'd like to think my selection of films scared everyone off, and not that they all hated me! I think my intended guests all thought having to sit through an old black-and-white movie was a pretty terrible way to spend an evening. About a year later, one of my co-workers who hadn't shown up that night hosted a very similar party. She rented Deliverance! And I was one of about a half dozen people who showed up. Guess I should have gone with something more modern.

7 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Well, I never knew anyone that ever threw a "movie watching party".  I suppose some classic movie "event" at some theatrer would make the dressing up more sensible.  But only if the theater invited patrons to "dress-up" for the showing.

Isn't that precisely what Backlot if promoting ?

I suppose some classic movie "event" at some theatre would make the dressing up more sensible.  But only if the theater invited patrons to "dress-up" for the showing. 

I know some music acts that promote dressing in period attire. A couple of years ago the Queen Mary held a function that was set in the 1920's and people dressed accordingly.

Those folks who, in some cases, dress up as characters for some "Star Trek" movie or whatever have some "issues" too, IMHO.  I'm all for a good time too, but NOT at the expense of my DIGNITY.  ;)

Sepiatone

Dignity ? What dignity ?

1423818664-0.jpg

• Haha 1

Hosted a movie watching party once in the early-'70s.

Diane, an airline coworker of mine and I had once struck up a conversation about how much we both loved the not yet rediscovered by the public and still in the public domain It's a Wonderful Life, and so finding that it was again scheduled to be broadcast on the local Los Angeles CBS affiliate's Late Show on the Saturday night before Christmas, we invited a number of our fellow coworkers over to my apartment to watch it. I had a few snacks and some beer and wine available for those who showed up. About eight did. Most of those who showed up had never seen the film, or for that matter had never even heard of it.

As the evening's showing of the movie progressed, one by one they left, and with most of them seemingly muttering something along the lines that they found the movie boring.

By the time Clarence Odbody, AS2, made his first appearance on that bridge, it was only Diane and I snuggled up together on that sofa of mine, and something which would lead to a romance between us for a few months.

(...turned out other than our kindred taste in films, we had little other common interests) 

• Like 1

HA!

The only movie watching "party" ever held in anyone's house( among my particular "circle") involved crowding into whomever's home that agreed to have us all over( sometimes my place)  to get "wasted" and watch whichever cheezy old Sci-Fi flick was on "The Ghoul" that Saturday night.  The drinks were mostly BYOB, and always augmented with plenty of some South American smoking preparation.  ;) 

They say; "If youremember the '60's, you weren't there."  but for me, it was the '70's.  :D 

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings