Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Nudist Camp Films

Sadly I feel the TCM schedule does not properly cover the topic of nudist movies, or they've covered nudity too well, by not ever showing any skyclad folks playing badminton under a sunny sky at a lovely camp environment.

Sure occasionally one will see a nude person on TCM, both male and female or both together, in films like "I Am Curious Yellow" or "Clockwork Orange" or the like, but the whole genre of healthy living via nudity conveyed by nudist camp films in the annals of film history is being ignored.

I would think that every member of this persuasion has some film footage on hand, that would be beneficial to be seen by other film fans, who honor the whole world of movies, not just the clothed kind. Such avocations may be a bit beyond the fringe, yet still existed in our world and deserve a reviewing. I mean, if you consider yourself a "film buff" just where do you think the term originated, I ask you if not in a nudist colony?

Just recently I read the comments of a cult film director who said basically "I'd love to see more nudist camp films...[but now they are] a dead art." He did make a distinction between a true nudist camp film, where all is being viewed of everyday life, and ones where all strategic areas are continually covered in shots by furniture, objects or outdoor landscaping and bushes. Accept only the original and true versions of nudist camp films or you will be sorely disappointed.

This travesty of ignoring a whole segment of film history, needs to be corrected and one hopes TCM will be the forerunner in this task. If you feel similarly please add your thoughts to this post and do not go genitally, I mean gently into the night without expressing your outrage at not getting to see some of the nudist camp classics, like "10 Days in a Nudist Camp" from 1952.

I'm sure one might have to put their toe into this genre gingerly, so even starting with things not totally nudist colony related like "Paradisio" which was an early nudist camp film done in 3-D [which was more hazardous to film than Huston's "The African Queen"] would be okay. Or for fun, maybe a showing of famed director, Doris Wishman's foray into the field with her film "Hideout in the Sun" from 1960 where filming in nudist spots in South Florida provide good tans for everyone. Even these slightly less risque films would be a nice return to nature and the eventual opening of the vaults for the entire history of nudist camp films to be reexamined by film buffs and reevaluated for posteriors...oops, I mean posterity.

If you are a proponent of such a study in naturistic tendencies, please state your thoughts here or if you feel it is irrelevant to film studies, and non-academically inclined, your voice is needed also. Thanks!
  • Like 2

I don't guess I've ever seen any of these. I guess they were sort of the same thing as the pre-Playboy girlie magazines that would occasionally be referenced to be owned by Hawkeye when I was a kid on M*A*S*H of "naked girls playing volleyball".

While reading your post, it occurred to me it might not be completely beyond imagining for TCM to have some sort of monthly late night theme of nudity in movies, featuring the best-known and/or most controversial examples, everything from the silents to Hedy Lamarr to whenever Hollywood actually started permitting some nudity in mainstream film. See, I don't even know when that started! It would be educational, TCM! Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket ... Maybe it could go all the way up to Uma Thurman in Dangerous Liaisons (which literally made the crowd in the theater gasp when I saw it). Such a showcase might conceivably include at least one of the films you mention.

But as for TCM focusing on nothing but nudist camp films? Sorry to say after seeing your enthusiasm for the idea that this seems extremely unlikely. I do have some curiosity as to how explicit they were. Were females featured a lot more prominently than males? I just can't imagine a lot of frontal male nudity in that era that wouldn't have caused the morality police to completely lose their minds. Even as late as 1968, when Rolling Stone ran those Two Virgins photos in advance of the album release, it appeared for a time the magazine was going to be busted on obscenity charges, much more so for John's nudity than Yoko's, I think. Also, do these films show entire families? Depending on what the ages are of some of the people filmed might make it problematic for TCM, I would think.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I don't guess I've ever seen any of these. I guess they were sort of the same thing as the pre-Playboy girlie magazines that would occasionally be referenced to be owned by Hawkeye when I was a kid on M*A*S*H of "naked girls playing volleyball".

While reading your post, it occurred to me it might not be completely beyond imagining for TCM to have some sort of monthly late night theme of nudity in movies, featuring the best-known and/or most controversial examples, everything from the silents to Hedy Lamarr to whenever Hollywood actually started permitting some nudity in mainstream film. See, I don't even know when that started! It would be educational, TCM! Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket ... Maybe it could go all the way up to Uma Thurman in Dangerous Liaisons (which literally made the crowd in the theater gasp when I saw it). Such a showcase might conceivably include at least one of the films you mention.

But as for TCM focusing on nothing but nudist camp films? Sorry to say after seeing your enthusiasm for the idea that this seems extremely unlikely. I do have some curiosity as to how explicit they were. Were females featured a lot more prominently than males? I just can't imagine a lot of frontal male nudity in that era that wouldn't have caused the morality police to completely lose their minds. Even as late as 1968, when Rolling Stone ran those Two Virgins photos in advance of the album release, it appeared for a time the magazine was going to be busted on obscenity charges, much more so for John's nudity than Yoko's, I think. Also, do these films show entire families? Depending on what the ages are of some of the people filmed might make it problematic for TCM, I would think.

Cavegirl is referring to nudism / naturalism, not the run of the mill nude scenes in R and NC-17 rated movies.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Cavegirl is referring to nudism / naturalism, not the run of the mill nude scenes in R and NC-17 rated movies.

Yes, I understood that, of course. I think if you read my post more carefully, you would see I was saying that TCM, if they were ever to have a spotlight on any films with nudity, they would be more likely to show the conventional films than the specifically nudist camp ones. But I understood what kind of film she meant.

45 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

the whole genre of healthy living via nudity conveyed by nudist camp films in the annals of film history is being ignored.

That's 'cause nudity is filthy.

All those peenies and hoohoo's right out in the open like that - what're you trying to do, warp our children's minds? Set 'em on the road to aich ee double hockey sticks?

• Haha 1

If you want them that badly, a whole package of the specifically camp-sponsored "Lifestyle propaganda" pro-nudism movies from the 30's-50's showed up on Amazon Prime's public-domain ephemera a while ago.

Zoomed in, of course, to keep everything above the shoulders, although rear shots are still allowed.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Thanks, sewhite! 

I think a major retrospective of these naturist films is in order and I will offer my services to do the research. I love investigative reportage, just like when I was at the Vatican and asked to be allowed to enter La Maschera room to view the Sedia Stercoraria chair, which supposedly would prevent any woman like the one called Pope Joan to ascend the papal throne.

You probably know as much as me about nudist camp films, but the majority probably do mostly have unclothed patrons playing volleyball and other sports and showing their interest in the Adamite lifestyle. Nevertheless, it is still a form of film that has been neglected in the ana...annals of celluloid history that may need to be reviewed, doncha think? Even the director of "Basket Case" agrees with me!

34 minutes ago, hamradio said:

List of Nudism / Naturalism movies.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls006797968/

Europeans / Russians seems to be more tolerant regarding of the subject. 

Thanks so much, Hamradio! I'd love to immediately access this but I'm at the library and would probably get kicked out and banned. Will save it for later when I'm at home and much appreciation!

33 minutes ago, hamradio said:

That's true but I might not have been explicit enough about what I meant, so the fault lies in my writing and exposition of the topic. A nudie film is not by rights a nudist film, in my estimation.

Just now, CaveGirl said:

Wonderful poster art, Lawrence! Always thought Blaze had the best stage name ever.

Funny how there is way too much clothing though for nudist related films, ain't it?

They had enough trouble distributing the movies themselves. Adding nudity to the poster would have been impossible at that time.

Those are both nudist camp movies, by the way, and not nudie-cuties or roughies, as the top poster appears to be. The Blaze Starr movie is much like those earliest nudist, or nature camp movies, only in color and with Blaze Starr wandering around in it as she learns the "health benefits" of the nudist lifestyle.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

They had enough trouble distributing the movies themselves. Adding nudity to the poster would have been impossible at that time.

Those are both nudist camp movies, by the way, and not nudie-cuties or roughies, as the top poster appears to be. The Blaze Starr movie is much like those earliest nudist, or nature camp movies, only in color and with Blaze Starr wandering around in it as she learns the "health benefits" of the nudist lifestyle.

I have nothing against the nudist lifestyle. But I will admit I think running around nude near bramble bushes or in the woods could prove problematic. Those tender areas often need coverage or could become injured and who wants to have to explain to the pharmacist why you need a special kind of Neosporin for treatment purposes?

• Haha 2
40 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Yes, I understood that, of course. I think if you read my post more carefully, you would see I was saying that TCM, if they were ever to have a spotlight on any films with nudity, they would be more likely to show the conventional films than the specifically nudist camp ones. But I understood what kind of film she meant.

I understood totally what you meant, sewhite but like me I knew it is easy to veer into the topic of nudity when discussing nudism, since they are part of the same situation, yet different. I like to know about films or areas of film I don't know well, and nudist film ones are of that ilk. I don't even have any books talking about nudist films per se, which I think is not right. I think the true nudist films were probably boring, but other films were made using nudist colony participants to spice up their fictional films as a come-on. But you are so right that the conventional films with nudists used as a side attraction are probably what TCM would show, when what would be more fun would be to see a real naturist type oddity, extolling the virtues of living without clothes. Thanks, sewhite!

One of the big names in nudist camp films was a woman, Doris Wishman. My favorite of hers was Nude on the Moon (1962), which managed to fuse two Florida favorites, the space program and nudist camps. Two guys self-fund a rocket ship and end up on the moon, all of which is accomplished by stock footage and very tight closeups which don't reveal much background. Lo and behold the moon is a lush garden..who knew? There's a queen, of course, and she and her subjects are topless, but wearing a weird kind of flesh-colored granny p anty (the men too). They communicate telepathically through little tin foil antennae, so there wasn't much distracting dialogue. I can't for the life of me remember the plot, but there was the usual scene of the interlopers being brought before the queen, etc. It looked like a fairly upscale "nature" camp, with lots of nooks and crannies to frame the lovelies of both sexes. Obviously, the selling point was the wall-to-wall *****, but Doris managed to do it in an interesting (for ten minutes) way. There was even a theme song. ("I'm mooning over you, my little moon doll".) I'm not sure about availability, but I had it on VHS.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, DougieB said:

One of the big names in nudist camp films was a woman, Doris Wishman. My favorite of hers was Nude on the Moon (1962)... I'm not sure about availability, but I had it on VHS.

Nude on the Moon was out on DVD from Something Weirdas were several other nudist movies, including the two I mentioned earlier.

Nude on the Moon had scenes shot at Coral Castle, didn't it?

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Nude on the Moon was out on DVD from Something Weirdas were several other nudist movies, including the two I mentioned earlier.

I don't honestly know particulars but, as I said, it seemed pretty upscale and well-maintained. I'm glad to know the movie is still available.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, DougieB said:

One of the big names in nudist camp films was a woman, Doris Wishman. My favorite of hers was Nude on the Moon (1962), which managed to fuse two Florida favorites, the space program and nudist camps. Two guys self-fund a rocket ship and end up on the moon, all of which is accomplished by stock footage and very tight closeups which don't reveal much background. Lo and behold the moon is a lush garden..who knew? There's a queen, of course, and she and her subjects are topless, but wearing a weird kind of flesh-colored granny p anty (the men too). They communicate telepathically through little tin foil antennae, so there wasn't much distracting dialogue. I can't for the life of me remember the plot, but there was the usual scene of the interlopers being brought before the queen, etc. It looked like a fairly upscale "nature" camp, with lots of nooks and crannies to frame the lovelies of both sexes. Obviously, the selling point was the wall-to-wall *****, but Doris managed to do it in an interesting (for ten minutes) way. There was even a theme song. ("I'm mooning over you, my little moon doll".) I'm not sure about availability, but I had it on VHS.

That was the first film of hers that I had read about, and the career of Doris Wishman has taken some strange and off the wall turns since. Thanks for such a complete recall of all the doings in the film! It obviously made quite an impression on you, as most films about nude people on the moon are wont to do. Hopefully it is on dvd in a boxed set! Thanks, Dougie.

• Like 1

Yeah, I looked it up, and it was the one I recall with scenes shot at Coral Castle. For those who are unfamiliar with the place, it's an odd tourist attraction in south Florida (Miami?) that's the source of much outlandish conjecture. It was built in the 1920's and 1930's by an eccentric Latvian immigrant who claimed to have discovered some secret technique using magnetism. The place is made of large limestone slabs that seem impossible to move by a single person, but this guy supposedly did everything himself. It's been the subject of many paranormal TV shows, with the place's construction being ascribed to everything from psychic powers to alien intervention!

Here's a shot from the movie (I didn't add the censor bars):

wp0_wp94653ddc.png

nude+on+the+moon+1.jpg

1488990788_coral-castle.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
49 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I love the "Something Weird" line-up of films. Truly psychotronic in nature and so much better than what gets cookie-cuttered out today and released. Sorry I do not know if NOTM was shot at the Coral Castle, but if so I really need to watch it again!

27 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Yeah, I looked it up, and it was the one I recall with scenes shot at Coral Castle. For those who are unfamiliar with the place, it's an odd tourist attraction in south Florida (Miami?) that's the source of much outlandish conjecture. It was built in the 1920's and 1930's by an eccentric Latvian immigrant who claimed to have discovered some secret technique using magnetism. The place is made of large limestone slabs that seem impossible to move by a single person, but this guy supposedly did everything himself. It's been the subject of many paranormal TV shows, with the place's construction being ascribed to everything from psychic powers to alien intervention!

Here's a shot from the movie (I didn't add the censor bars):

wp0_wp94653ddc.png

nude+on+the+moon+1.jpg

1488990788_coral-castle.jpg

OMG! This place is magnificent and truly a shrine to a very special man. The perfect place to film any movie, and a real draw for those who enjoy interesting backdrops like Vasquez Rocks and such, yet the Coral Castle is way more interesting overall. Thanks for this amazing expose and write-up, Lawrence. And just how did that little man get those giant doors and pieces of limestone in place???

Just thinking that it kind of looks like a place that Edward Gorey would relish doing some pen and ink work about, doesn't it?

2 hours ago, darkblue said:

That's 'cause nudity is filthy.

All those peenies and hoohoo's right out in the open like that - what're you trying to do, warp our children's minds? Set 'em on the road to aich ee double hockey sticks?

Of course I would set a limit on the ages of people who can see the films, darkblue. Only females over 18 and males over 65, since some males get excitable just watching Dr. Scholl's insole commercials or when they see tailfins on old Cadillacs. Thanks for keeping me in line though with your sound reflections on sex.

• Haha 1