Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Nudist Camp Films

5 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

Big fan of Thoreau's "Walden" and his essay on "Civil Disobedience."
Used to reflect on a copy of his works that I kept readily with me in those days, along with "Desert Solitaire" by Edward Abbey, and a few select others that I enjoyed rereading. And of course a compilation of Robert Service's Poems.

When I was a kid I fell in love with the writing of Jack London, especially "Call of the Wild" and "White Fang," and when in Alaska I often reflected on his short, "To Build a Fire."

But I was (still am) too much of an omnivore to ever be seriously compared to Robert Bootzin aka "Gypsy Boots" (had to look him up BTW, quite an interesting character), although we no doubt have independently shared a few similar experiences and attitudes. And there have been several in my life that have referred to me as (a) "Nature Boy" (as well as my being a bit "touched") though I doubt they were thinking of the likes of Gypsy when they said that.   ;):)

Nature Boy, now I'm wondering if you are the reincarnated spirit of Eden Ahbez [aka George McGrew]?

Due to my reading of very strange books, I became aware of Eden Ahbez. I had always liked the song "Nature Boy" but never knew anything about its songwriter. The bio in the book was quite interesting as was the info on real life "nature boys" of the time. This may inspire a post since I just was rereading up on this movement online due to your categorization of self, Stephan. 

4 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Otto Sensor is now dating Jenny Talia so doesn't care what profanities you type out, Stephan.

Yes, but they're being chaperoned by Cyn Gulffart, so they still have to be careful.

4 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Nature Boy, now I'm wondering if you are the reincarnated spirit of Eden Ahbez [aka George McGrew]?

Due to my reading of very strange books, I became aware of Eden Ahbez. I had always liked the song "Nature Boy" but never knew anything about its songwriter. The bio in the book was quite interesting as was the info on real life "nature boys" of the time. This may inspire a post since I just was rereading up on this movement online due to your categorization of self, Stephan. 

I too always liked the "Nature Boy" song (esp. as sung by Nat King Cole), but never realized the connection to Robert Bootzin aka "Gypsy Boots" and his "Nature Boys" until I looked him up after reading Dargo's post.

I love the Eagles songs and long ago began to (sadly) self-identify with "Desperado" (though I really like Linda Ronstadt's version the best).

A couple of links you may appreciate:

Eden Ahbez - Nature Boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=339UrDjHDio

Eagles - Desperado

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-bwXhts8Zg

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Stephan55 said:

I too always liked the "Nature Boy" song (esp. as sung by Nat King Cole), but never realized the connection to Robert Bootzin aka "Gypsy Boots" and his "Nature Boys" until I looked him up after reading Dargo's post.

I love the Eagles songs and long ago began to (sadly) self-identify with "Desperado" (though I really like Linda Ronstadt's version the best).

A couple of links you may appreciate:

Eden Ahbez - Nature Boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=339UrDjHDio

Eagles - Desperado

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-bwXhts8Zg

Truly a very unusual song and loved the video, Stephan!

What is almost spooky about the early 2oth century nature boy movement is, when you look at a photo from like 1905 of someone like William Pester, who was called the Hermit of Palm Springs, it is impossible to not think it was taken like in the Laurel Canyon area of some people who might have known the Manson Gang or at least hung out with Crosby, Stills and Nash.

9 minutes ago, limey said:

Yes, but they're being chaperoned by Cyn Gulffart, so they still have to be careful.

Damn, don't know who Cyn Gulffart is, but imagine from the context that he/she must be quite a prude.
Duck Duck Go, just wouldn't go there :(

Edit:
Cyn Gulf****
Did you just make that name up, you clever limey you.... :rolleyes:;):)

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

Truly a very unusual song and loved the video, Stephan!

Sorry, no video, just Ahbez/McGrew and the Eagles singing their own songs.
"Desperado" was from a Korean uploaded link, nice to know that the Eagles are universally appreciated :)

10 minutes ago, Stephan55 said:

Damn, don't know who Cyn Gulffart is, but imagine from the context that he/she must be quite a prude.
Duck Duck Go, just wouldn't go there :(

Cyn (Cynthia) Gulffart was once employed in the gaseous emission business, but she quickly needed a breath of fresh air, so mastered the art of keeping things in their place - a good skill for chaperones...

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, CaveGirl said:

What is almost spooky about the early 2oth century nature boy movement is, when you look at a photo from like 1905 of someone like William Pester, who was called the Hermit of Palm Springs, it is impossible to not think it was taken like in the Laurel Canyon area of some people who might have known the Manson Gang or at least hung out with Crosby, Stills and Nash.

Well the timing is right, regarding the '60s, so some of these characters may have known (or at least known of ) each other then. Pester made it to the early '60's, and overlapped with Bootzin when he and his "Nature Boys" were doing their thing in the '30s-'40's, though "Boots" was pretty settled down (albeit, still radical for his time) in the '60's. The Ahbez "Nature Boy" song was popularized in 1948. So these guys predate the "Manson Gang" though it's not a stretch that Manson (and many others) were influenced by them in some way/s (to a greater or lessor extent) directly or indirectly (of course guys like Manson can twist something fundamentally good into something quite evil).
Heck, like you mentioned in an earlier post to Swithin, sometimes these "vibes transmit themselves through the atmosphere" and coalesce in some mysterious fashion like the hippie/back-to-nature/commune movements, etc. morphed from "free love" to "Self Sufficiency" into "lets take better care of the planet" ...
Often we are affected by things and have no idea where they originally sprang from.
Like that quote about "Ripples of Change" where a pebble is tossed into calm water, but the ripple effect extends from that point to far distant shores...

BTW, please let us know in a "Review" if you order some of those nudist camp movies from that mailer you received.  ;):)

• Thanks 1
On August 31, 2018 at 2:33 PM, Swithin said:

I'm All Right Jack concludes in a nudist camp.

220px-I'm_All_Right_Jack_UK_poster.jpg

You beat to this one Swithin.  One of my favourite films.  Thankfully Ian Carmichael is on the side of the fence that is clothed.

s-l400.jpg

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Stephan55 said:

Well the timing is right, regarding the '60s, so some of these characters may have known (or at least known of ) each other then. But Bootzin and his "Nature Boys" were doing their thing in the '30s-'40's and he was pretty settled down (though still radical for his time) in the '60's. The Ahbez "Nature Boy" song was popularized in 1948. So these guys predate the "Manson Gang" though it's not a stretch that Manson (and many others) were influenced by them in some way/s (to a greater or lessor extent) directly or indirectly (of course guys like Manson can twist something fundamentally good into something quite evil).
Heck, like you mentioned in an earlier post to Swithin, "sometimes these vibes transmit themselves through the atmosphere" and coalesce in some mysterious fashion like the hippie/back-to-nature/commune movements, etc. morphed from "free love" into "lets take better care of the planet" ...
Often we are affected by things and have no idea where they originally sprang from.
Like that quote about "Ripples of Change" where a pebble is tossed into calm water, but the ripple effect extends from that point to far distant shores...

BTW, please let us know in a "Review" if you order some of those nudist camp movies from that mailer you received.  ;):)

Agreed, and speaking of hippies, I had an older relative who taught school at Antioch in Yellow Springs, Ohio, from the 1920's on until when Rod Serling was matriculating. This relative said that Yellow Springs had hippie type males as far back as the Roaring Twenties who had very long hair, wore sandals and beaded necklaces, and expounded upon themes that became the hippie movement by the time of the 1960's. He did not say they were at the college but that the environs there, which he says were into very artistic movements and crafts were actually just very common to the homegrown populace there, for some reason he did not understand. Not saying all the citizenry there were pre-hippie but he said a large contingent from the area were like Flower Children. He said they often were proponents of marijuana too, and dressed very casually and were as if from another planet, considering the time period. He said this type of counter culture movement existed there until the mid-1940's and then just seemed to disappear. He said the students who would come to the area from out of state, were always in shock when they would see these commune type folks hitting the downtown area, checking out bookstores with esoteric lore, and places that served natural foods with waiters who would read tarot cards, as one waited for their bean sprouts and mineral water. Another great isolated situation that is ripe for a movie retrospective.

• Like 1
On 9/1/2018 at 3:10 PM, CaveGirl said:

... as if from another planet ...

When I was a kid I used to look up into the sky on starry nights and muse that I was from another planet. Sent here to observe and experience this world and one day I would be called back to recount on all that I'd seen and experienced, and learned while here...

On 9/1/2018 at 3:10 PM, CaveGirl said:

Another great isolated situation that is ripe for a movie retrospective. 

You have a very sharp mind and write well and, as always, the movie industry is in dearth of good (insightful) original screenplays. Have you ever thought of doing it?
I've a feeling that you may be missing out on a natural calling. ;)

16 minutes ago, Stephan55 said:

You have a very sharp mind and write well and, as always, the movie industry is in dearth of good (insightful) original screenplays. Have you ever thought of doing it?
I've a feeling that you may be missing out on a natural calling. ;)

Such a nice compliment but don't know if it is deserved. Thanks, Stephan!

I could certainly say the same of you. Your posts are like gemlike short stories! Maybe we could take over Hollywood with our non-anomalous thoughts? Don't feel obligated to agree...haha!

On 9/1/2018 at 3:50 PM, CaveGirl said:

don't know if it is deserved.

Oh it is deserved.... Trust me. B);)
I believe that timing is everything.
We are each gifted with certain innate and acquired talents, but too often most of us fail to act upon them to their fuller extent.

In my case, I've been scattered in so many diverse directions with my varied interests that I found it difficult to focus on one long enough to make something of any great substance become of it. Like an apprentice of many trades, but master of none.

Most of those that do make a noticeable (more substantive) impact appear to have the single minded ability to stay focused upon a single task and see it through to accomplishment, whatever their goal may be.

I on the other hand, may have seen and dabbled in many things, but too often have quickly moved on to something else that I find of interest, without realizing my full potential in anything.
There have been moments when I knew that the timing was ripe, the iron was hot and the time to act was now to innovate some idea or follow-through with some ability that I had almost been trained for... But if one fails to follow such intuition, then either someone else picks up the mantle and moves with it, or the opportunity to do so passes into oblivion.

I am now old(er), and though I may be a little wiser (than I once was), my opportunities diminish with each passing day... You are young(er) and still have time to accomplish something more with your gifts.

Everyone is given opportunities in life, but not everyone acts upon those opportunities which they are given.
The greatest memories that I have are those of the opportunities that I have acted upon.

I heard somewhere that "There is a time to plant and a time to harvest, but one cannot plant and harvest time."

There is a time for everything and everyone, and your time is now!

• Like 1

After a semi-rigorous YT search I found that old nudie camp movie I mentioned before.

Titled Diary of a Nudist (makes sense) it was made in 1961 by Doris Wishman who also made

other nudist flicks, including the one about nudies on the moonies. I had mixed up a few details

of the plot. Stacey is a reporter assigned by her boss to go "undercover" to investigate the

nudist camp he found while out hunting. They both dislike the idea of nudists, but after a

while Stacey enjoys bouncing around with no clothes on and her boss comes over to her

view. At the end he declares his love and they walk off into the sunset, though both are

fully clothed. There are a lot of boobs and rears on display, but when it comes to the lower

depths, things are different. There always seems to be towels or large hats placed strategically

to cover the naughty bits. Still a rather charming film about sun worshipers.

I remember reading in various articles about Thoreau that when old Dave got tired of squirrel

sandwiches he would walk back to Concord and have his mom fix him a hot meal or mend his

clothes. So life in the woods was not quite as hard as it seemed. This has never diminished my

enjoyment of Walden. It really gives it more of a human touch and a little extra comic feel.

And Thoreau's self-reliance is still very impressive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

I remember that movie but have not seen it in years. Thanks, Swithin!

You're welcome.

I watched The Half-Naked Truth last night, and that one has a scene of Eugene Pallette running a fake nudist colony as part of one of Lee Tracy's publicity stunts.  :o

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Thankfully Ian Carmichael is on the side of the fence that is clothed.

That's in the opening.  Isn't he

on the other side of the fence in the finale

?

• Like 2
On 9/1/2018 at 4:59 PM, Vautrin said:

After a semi-rigorous YT search I found that old nudie camp movie I mentioned before. 

Titled Diray of a Nudist

Thanks for your exhaustive search, I'll now just plug-in the title and see what pops-up. :)

On 9/1/2018 at 4:59 PM, Vautrin said:

I remember reading in various articles about Thoreau that when old Dave got tired of squirrel

sandwiches he would walk back to Concord and have his mom fix him a hot meal or mend his

clothes. So life in the woods was not quite as hard as it seemed. This has never diminished my

enjoyment of Walden. It really gives it more of a human touch and a little extra comic feel.

And Thoreau's self-reliance is still very impressive.

What impressed me after attempting to live a subsistence lifestyle alone in Alaska, is that humans are by nature gregarious and social creatures. We behave anti-social when crowded together like overpopulating rats in a confined space, but given enough room we need (or at least crave) each others company (to a greater or lesser extent).
A successful subsistence lifestyle at the very least requires a family unit to thrive. Hunting and gathering, making and mending clothes and necessary tools and accoutrements from indigenous material, obtaining, preserving and cooking food, caring and maintaining sled dogs, and children, et al. is time consuming and arduous, requiring the organized teamwork of multiple hands performing different essential tasks at  the same time.
Not that one cannot do it alone in a sufficiently plentiful environment, but it generally means the difference between an impoverished surviving lifestyle and that in which one thrives.
The aboriginal native Americans worked together in families, clans, and tribal units. It literally "takes a village" to be a successful thriving community. 

When I initially went up to live in Alaska, I wanted to get away from society. I wanted to push myself to extremes and do it all alone.
I am fortunately a fast learner, and it didn't take me long to realize how wrong I was about myself and my preconceived ideas, and how tied I was (and am) to an industrial society that I had grown to loathe in so many ways, but of which I was (and am) dependent upon.

I flew to a remote area of the Alaska range in an airplane, which required fuel to get me there.
It took more than a summer of of tent living to get the cabin up and habitable.
I used diesel fuel for my kerosene oil lamps.
Though I had an axe, I also had a chainsaw and gasoline for that. I had a wood-burning stove made of steel, and in the summer used a small gasoline camp stove to minimize overheating the cabin (more gasoline).
I had a pair of home made birch snowshoes, but preferred a more durable set made of aluminum from REI.
I wore Canadian made Sorels in the winter and Redwings the rest of the year.
My socks and long johns were made of the finest and softest imported wool.
My sleeping bag and parka were made of top of the line synthetic material and covered with rip stop nylon.
My firearms were machined in an industrialized city, requiring mined ore, fossil energy, and equipment and expertise which I did not possess to produce.
Though I fished, hunted game, and gathered herbs and berries, I also had a stockpile of groceries, dog food and provisions that had been flown in to support my existence for months at a time. 
I used a machined bucket to haul water from the stream in front of the cabin. And kept a 33 gallon galvanized steel trash can topped off with water at all times.
I used both my axe and chainsaw and had several months of chopped dead-fall to fuel the stove through the long winter.
Once I had a moose in the cache, my meat bill was paid up for six months, and one can live well on a diet consisting of mostly meat, but it takes a lot of it.
On and on...
It was satisfying to have a such a personal connection with the things and animals necessary for my own survival, and my individual negative footprint may have been much smaller than a daily commute to and from a workplace, but I was none-the-less still part of the bigger problem that I was trying to escape. My dollars still contributed to someone else contaminating their environment so that I could keep mine more "pristine."

Could I have lived a totally subsistent and more primitive lifestyle where I was?
With the eventual acquired skill-sets, knowledge base, and experience most likely Yes, but doing so alone would still be living like a pauper in the woods.

I attempted a garden, but it is hard to grow food by bucket irrigation, and even more so when the last snow to touch the valley is in late May, and the next snow is in late August. Most of my seedlings ended up being no more than sprouts, which i readily consumed as salad. But I learned the hard way, that even with cold crops, one needs a greenhouse to have a garden at that latitude and elevation.
I made a set of leggings and a vest from hide and sinew that I had tanned and procured from the source. It took a lot of time and work.
I made a fish spear, and snowshoes, and a dog sled, but I used modern tools to do so.
I was experienced with a synthetic compound bow, and likely could have made a bow and arrows from mostly indigenous material, but local flint was unavailable, and I likely would have starved during the time it would have taken to make one, and become adequately proficient with it.
I used snares and traps, and nothing I caught went to waste, but again, I often used modern materials.
Caribou fur is an outstanding natural insulator but it takes at least four adult hides to make an adequate sleeping bag. There was a small herd of 40 or so indigenous woodland caribou that migrated through my area. If I used caribou exclusively for my food and clothing maintenance, I would likely have wiped them out in four or five years. That was hardly sustainable, and I believe that is why a pack of wolves easily travels 50 miles or more in a day for food, and why they opportunistically hunt a diverse number of prey species, managing a naturally enforced sustainable equilibrium with the different species that they depend upon for their survival.
Sled dogs consume a lot of calories to remain healthy and work, especially during the winter. Salmon migrated that far up river, but by then they were far less fatty and nutritive than when they first left the sea. I would have had to make a fish wheel to catch enough to maintain us.
I was in a hunters paradise, with moose, caribou, Dall sheep, Black and Grizzly bears, even a small herd of buffalo that had been transplanted decades before, all in my area; and in the course of a year I saw all of them, some on an almost daily basis during the spring and summer months.
I observed their tracks, scat and habits and even caught a birthing in process viewed through my binos and spotting scope, again modern lens' that far exceeded any natural ability.
Still, in this seeming land of seasonal plenty, the subsistence laws for non natives were limiting for anyone who truly wanted to "live off the land." And because the land itself is far from nurturing, these animals are constantly on the move. During the winter, when one needs them most, they can almost vanish, as unlike myself, they have moved on (up and down river) to "greener" pastures.
But without my industrial produced tools and weapons, I likely would have been unable to approach or bring down and process any of them when I needed to.

So, perhaps unlike Thoreau, I was still dependent upon an outside source for supplies to insure that I ate a regular balanced diet, and that my clothes and equipment were in good condition at all times. Only in my case a periodic airplane was the necessary conveyance.

Within my first year of living in the woods, after most of my delusions were shot down, I gained a far greater appreciation and respect for the limitations of my natural resources, as well as my own abilities. And I became more conservatively protective of the environment which sustained me.
That and also becoming acutely aware of the difference between solitude and loneliness.
I considered those life lessons well learned and goods things to know. 

• Thanks 2
3 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

Thanks for your exhaustive search, I'll now just plug-in the title and see what pops-up. :)

So to speak. Of course some people handle solitude better than others. Thoreau seemed to

do that fairly well, but its always good to have a support system. I think he would have been

able to survive all on his own out at Walden pond, but having family near where he could go

for some rest and relaxation and other things made it more bearable. And of course people

living in the America of the mid 19th century had more knowledge of how to live off the land

than people do today. Walden is somewhat of an idealized picture as I don't think he mentioned

his numerous trips home, but that doesn't make it any less of an intriguing work.

• Like 2

I think it's amusing how a thread about nudist camp movies quickly went from there  to just mere nude film appearances, to THOREAU and old NAT KING COLE tunes, and Eagles songs.  :D

Y'all really DO have a sort of ADHD, don'tcha?  :D

Nudist camps in movies have usually been used as a comic vehicle, getting the lead and other protagonists in em-"bare-assing" situations.  Like ELKE SOMMER and PETER SELLERS getting caught nude in his car after "escaping" from a nudist camp in A SHOT IN THE DARK.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
19 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

So Stephan, do you also get that faraway look in your eyes like one of Elaine's old boyfriends here did every time that song comes on the radio?...

;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 9/1/2018 at 2:57 PM, Stephan55 said:

I love the Eagles songs

Someone likes the Eagles?  I reach for the buttons to change the station any time one of their songs comes on.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1