Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

tcm should show political thrillers where a conservative wins the day...

NipkowDisc

like will: g. Gordon liddy or Washington: behind closed doors with a terrific performance by Jason robards as president Richard monckton.
I mean how many times are they gonna beat all the king's men, the best man, all the president's men, seven days in may and advise and consent into the ground?

there is other stuff out there just as good even if the democrats come out on the short end.

diversity and tolerance, tcm, diversity and tolerance hafta be more than catchprases.

they hafta be practiced.

:D

37 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

like will: g. Gordon liddy or Washington: behind closed doors with a terrific performance by Jason robards as president Richard monckton.
I mean how many times are they gonna beat all the king's men, the best man, all the president's men, seven days in may and advise and consent into the ground?

there is other stuff out there just as good even if the democrats come out on the short end.

diversity and tolerance, tcm, diversity and tolerance hafta be more than catchprases.

they hafta be practiced.

You mean they should show things like "Milk" with Sean Penn, Nip?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Here you go.....

Oh, lordie!

If I really want to watch a true horror film, I put on my dvd of this Leni Riefenstahl film. Those extended passages where Hitler rides through giant street crowds with the camera shots right behind his ear making one feel like they are in the vehicle with him, and on to nighttime parades of candle lit flag bearers surging through giant crowds while waiting for Hitler and his minions to speak, are truly frightening. Can't suggest a TCM sponsored wine for it though, unless it be a Fritz Lang Riesling accompanied by some sauerbraten dip and chips.

• Thanks 1

Nip, once again, the answer to why there have never been all that many politically themed films made where "the Conservative wins the day" is VERY simple!

It's 'cause you guys are eventually and almost always proven to be on the wrong side of history, dude!

SEE?! Very simple, wasn't it!

(...btw CJ...GREAT reply up there too!)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know when you last saw WASHINGTON: BEHIND CLOSED DOORS, but Jason Robards is portrayed as an absolute paranoiac.

I don't keep score when it comes to which side of the aisle is getting more screen time. If it's a good movie, it's a good movie. I've seen a lot of "activist" films that are just dreck, from both sides of the political spectrum. On the other hand, THE CHINA SYNDROME is a very fine film. It may be alarmist but it's a good movie. It doesn't drown you in sanctimony (the cardinal sin, in my book).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

they hafta be practiced.

'Advise & Consent' gives the edge to the conservative side, in the sense that the Communist sympathizing nominee is rejected, the manipulative liberal president loses his control of the process (and his life), and the devious peace-committee organizing senator is disgraced.

26 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Funny! Although I read that in his newest documentary, Deepak Chopra says Hitler was a liberal.

Deepak Chopra? Do you mean Dinesh D'Souza? Deepak is an alternative medicine guru, while Dinesh is a right-wing hack filmmaker of agitprop documentaries such as the recently released Death of a Nation

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Funny! Although I read that in his newest documentary, Deepak Chopra says Hitler was a liberal.

I think he and Oprah are involved in a conspiracy trying to use mind control on the American public. This is as bad as when the Beatles were consulting the Mahareshi Yogi or however his name is spelled.

10 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Deepak Chopra? Do you mean Dinesh D'Souza? Deepak is an alternative medicine guru, while Dinesh is a right-wing hack filmmaker of agitprop documentaries such as the recently released Death of a Nation

Now all I can think of is that I wonder if he related to John Phillips Sousa?

Love that you called Dinesh a "hack". There are so many hacks around nowadays but no one calls them on it. Thanks for giving me a reason to live again, Lawrence.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

tcm should show political thrillers where a conservative wins the day...

Here's one that fits the bill perfectly, Nip.

It's called 'Bob Roberts' (1992).

It's a Tim Robbins film in which a Conservative folk singer becomes a winning politician - much to the fury of liberals.

Funny enough, this movie was quite controversial in that Republicans - rather than being pleased about seeing a Conservative win in the movie - were quite angry about the film's suggestions of how the winning is achieved.

Brilliant satirically, while being disturbingly believable.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, skimpole said:

I thought conservatives did win the day in Advise and Consent.  The ex-Communist is defeated in his chance to become Secretary of State, and the sinister Liberal pacifist is humiliated and rebuked by everyone. 

Advise and Consent  was the first in a series of novels by Allen Drury which feature the same characters. In the ones that follow, it is clear what his political leanings are. As I recall most of the novels, they are eerily similar to things that have happened since their publication. I think the guy had a crystal ball.

I find it remarkable that no one has ever tried to film these stories, since a) Hollywood loves sequels, and b) given the political climate of today, these films would really pull people into the theaters.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings