Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"SUPERFLY" REDUX

Zea

Coming out this week on DVD is a remake of Gordon Parks, Jr.'s 1972 'SUPERFLY". Now, I wouldn't go listing this as a classic in the mold of "Gone With The Wind" or anything.  But I've fond memories of that coolest of times in the social world in the very early 70's portrayed in "SUPERFLY", sans eh..most of the drugs, that is. Ah yes,  bell bottoms; no bras (yippee); disco ruled (hold your comments pul-eeze), Studio 54 was Mecca; Marvin Gaye played on a continual loop through my head and on that scene appeared Ron O'Neal as Younglood Priest, the coolest of the cool and dead-on gorgeousexy.  (My own word reserved for only the too-too-hotties.)?

latest.jpg.e02914732bbe9a2f3d40018d72cffec3.jpg

Trevor Jackson portrays the new Youngblood Priest. Nice looking young man, but NO Ron O'Neal for sure.

I read where Drake & Rihanna are doing the score.  Again - sorry - absolutely no one can touch the great Curtis Mayfield.

Reviewers say the new version will 'help' acquaint the current generation with a new cool and this iconic character. Ok. Fine. But you'll pardon me whilst I slip into a pair of bell bottoms, lay back, reminisce and cue up "Pusherman".

• Like 2

It's a shame that O'Neal, who died of pancreatic cancer in 2004, didn't get many other screen opportunities to showcase his talent.

I liked him as the executive officer of the U.S.S. Nimitz (opposite Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen) in the 1980 time travel film "The Final Countdown."

Image result for ron o'neal the final countdown images

I also remember him as a Cuban officer involved in the mass Communist invasion of the United States in "Red Dawn" (1984).

Image result for ron o'neal red dawn images

• Like 1

I love watching films from that era over and over again. For me its just fun entertainment not to be taken too seriously.

I won't be watching the new version. The trailer looks like all flash and no substance to me. Its for a younger generation than myself obviously. Not to my taste.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings