Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Joan Crawford Directed by Steven Spielberg?

sewhite2000

In the first movie of the final day of SUTS to have a host intro, Ben Mankiewicz declared that in her long career, Joan Crawford had been directed by "everyone from Lewis Milestone to Steven Spielberg", which immediately had me thinking, "What the hell?" Ben chose not to elaborate, so I had to do a little imdb detective work. It appears Crawford starred in a segment of a 1969 episode of Night Gallery entitled "Eyes" that was directed by a 23-year-old Spielberg in his first-ever professional job. Anybody seen this particular segment?

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

In the first movie of the final day of SUTS to have a host intro, Ben Mankiewicz declared that in her long career, Joan Crawford had been directed by "everyone from Lewis Milestone to Steven Spielberg", which immediately had me thinking, "What the hell?" Ben chose not to elaborate, so I had to do a little imdb detective work. It appears Crawford starred in a segment of a 1969 episode of Night Gallery entitled "Eyes" that was directed by a 23-year-old Spielberg in his first-ever professional job. Anybody seen this particular segment?

It's in the pilot TV-movie, so it's not on the Hulu episodes.  Which is too bad, as the movie was easily better than most of the one-joke Tales From the Crap that Rod Serling wrote for the regular series.  (It never got better than that first Roddy McDowell "Graveyard" segment from the pilot.)

Spielberg mentioned it in 1982:

Spielberg also directed the regular TV segment "Make Me Laugh", which...you'll see what I mean.  He was on the Universal lot doing episodes of Marcus Welby and Columbo, and even he admits his "new innovative camera angles" were fresh out of film school.

Yes. Spielberg, who didn't launch his feature film career until five years later, was a wunderkind at Universal Television. Among his other credits there: a futuristic-themed episode of "The Name of the Game," an installment of "Marcus Welby, M.D." and a "Colombo" mystery featuring Jack Cassidy as the week's murderer.

The "Night Gallery" segment was from the pilot TV movie for the NBC series, which was hosted by Rod Serling. The Emmy Award-winning writer also penned "Eyes," which had a surprise ending in the style of "The Twilight Zone."

Crawford played a wealthy blind woman who paid a man $9,000 for contributing his eyes for an illegal operation enabling her to see for several hours. Barry Sullivan co-starred as her doctor.

Spielberg apparently had some unforgettable moments working with Crawford -- she even tried to get the young director replaced. He talked about it with Gene Shalit of NBC's "Today" in 1982.

The onetime actor Ron Howard had a similar experience when he was 25 and directing Bette Davis for the 1980 NBC TV-movie "Skyward." As Howard told the story, the screen legend was unsure about the hotshot filmmaker and always addressed him as "Mr. Howard" -- even though he had asked her to call him Ron.

Davis even told him: "No, I will call you 'Mr. Howard' until I decide whether I like you or not."

She eventually did call him by his first name -- which was an indication that he had earned her respect.

• Thanks 1

And to tie that in somehow, mention that Howard would sometime in his life, play the son of actor TOM BOSLEY in "Happy Days", Bosley having played the "down and outer" who sold his eyes to Crawford's character in that episode.  One of my favorite "Night Gallery" episodes.

Sepiatone

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

And to tie that in somehow, mention that Howard would sometime in his life, play the son of actor TOM BOSLEY in "Happy Days", Bosley having played the "down and outer" who sold his eyes to Crawford's character in that episode.  One of my favorite "Night Gallery" episodes.

Perhaps there's only one other "Night Gallery" tale that people remember most. In the Season 2 episode "The Caterpillar," Laurence Harvey played a man in Borneo tormented by an earwig boring through his head. The story also was written by Serling.

Picture

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

By a coincidence, here's a brand-new story from The Hollywood Reporter about "The Name of the Game." It mentions Spielberg's stint as a director of the series.

When Steven Spielberg and Steven Bochco worked on the same TV show (with Sean Penn's dad and Noam Chomsky's cousin) http://thr.cm/w61bP4 

DmAq0zoUYAEvq_A.jpg

8 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

It's the only episode I remember. The ending is very ironic ... Crawford temporarily regains her eyesight, but in a cruel twist of fate, is unable to take advantage of it.

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 2:33 AM, sewhite2000 said:

oh yeah. saw it years ago. she pays somebody to give her their optic nerves but just for 12 hours of sight.

she gets impatient, rips off the bandages which begins the 12 hours of sight...then darn it there's a power blackout and it's night too.:D she stumbles around for the 12 hour blackout then daylight...and her sight gives out!...

and she falls out a window.

:lol:

Image result for joan crawford night gallery eyes

6 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I did too, but did get quickly bored with the GARY COLLINS/ESP "Sixth Sense" period episodes.

"The Sixth Sense" was a completely different series, and was stuck in to fill the reruns out to syndication length, when they cut the first and second season Gallery episodes down to half hours to fit the third.

Even though Sixth Sense was more of a weird team-procedural show, it didn't stick out from Night Gallery's cheap 70's-Universal quality as much as, say, sticking Outer Limits reruns in with Twilight Zone would have.

And "Escape Route" with Richard Kiley from the 1st season is also still a favorite.

That was also from the pilot movie, wasn't it?  Let's face it, the movie was just BETTER.

There were memos that Rod Serling wanted to revamp Twilight Zone to the "art gallery" opening if he ever got a sixth season (ie., if the fourth season hadn't jumped the shark), and from the short-stories Serling adapted for Gallery, it's pretty clear that show would have gone the same way.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings