Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dean Martin- Sep. Star of Month


ElCid
 Share

Recommended Posts

Sept is Dean Martin month and appears to have a good range of his movies featured.  Always liked him even though he was not a great actor and maybe not even very good.  But, he did play his roles well and the movies are enjoyable.  Ada is one fairly dramatic one comes across well.  But then again, I am a sucker for movies about corrupt politics in the South.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He had a bigger career on TV, but there were some bright spots in movies:

Of his films with ex partner Jerry Lewis, his best was "The Stooge" in which he played a hammy performer who grows resentful of his goofy sidekick (shades of things to come in real life).

My favorite role of his without Lewis is probably "Rio Bravo" in which he is very good as the drunk who is given one last chance to prove himself. I love the scene where he duets with Ricky Nelson on "My Rifle, My Pony And Me" a good old prairie song with two of the most relaxing voices of the time. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I let out a groan when I saw Den Martin was going to be Star of the Month! But looking at the lineup of his films, I must confess I've only seen five out of 22. So, there's plenty of stuff that's new to me, which I always like. Truth is, I don't really have a lot of firsthand knowledge of Dean. I'm too young to have seen his TV show, though I've sat through that half hour-long paid programming of the DVD collection to get some sense of what his show was like. The surprise celebrity knocking at the door each ep seems to have been a clever idea. Honestly, I'm more familiar with Tom Hanks' hilarious Dean impersonation than with Dean himself! So, I'll try to give some of these movies a shot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I grew up on The Dean Martin Show and loved watching the incarnation of laid back self spoofing "I'm havin' a ball on top of the world" cool host that program. Dino was also dramatically effective  in a few films like The Young Lions and, particularly, Rio Bravo.

Dino in a tux with a cigarette in his hand breaking up at something Dom DeLuise or someone else said on his show or sitting on a couch singing a  love song. That's how I primarily think of him. I'll always have a soft spot for Martin.

hqdefault.jpg

But he sure did appear in a lot of superficial '60s film junk.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What!

NO mention of MATT HELM?  The ONLY spy cooler than JAMES BOND!  ;)

Great send-ups of the genre too. 

Agreed with all said about RIO BRAVO, still near or at the top of my "favorite westerns" list.  And it wasn't until recently that I noticed the melody of "My Rifle, Pony, and Me." was also heard in the much earlier Howard Hawks directed western, RED RIVER.

Ol' Howie must've liked that tune!  ;)

Sepiatone

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

What!

NO mention of MATT HELM?  The ONLY spy cooler than JAMES BOND!  ;)

Great send-ups of the genre too. 

Agreed with all said about RIO BRAVO, still near or at the top of my "favorite westerns" list.  And it wasn't until recently that I noticed the melody of "My Rifle, Pony, and Me." was also heard in the much earlier Howard Hawks directed western, RED RIVER.

Ol' Howie must've liked that tune!  ;)

Sepiatone

Not about Dean, but was El Dorado a sort of remake of Rio Bravo?  I think El Dorado overall is the better acted movie, but Rio Bravo has Angie Dickinson and Walter Brennan.  John Wayne is pretty much John Wayne in both of them and Dean Martin is at his best in Rio Bravo.  Can't say much for Ricky Nelson - couldn't act and couldn't sing.

Watched many of the Dean Martin TV shows and the question always was, was he pretending to be drinking and drunk or was he really drunk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What no Something's Got To Give (1962 short) as a teaser, for what may have been??????? Dino and Marilyn in the same picture.......

I actually like Kiss Me Stupid it's got some great lines, but I also primarily remember him for The Dean Martin Show, he was the epitome of cool.

Bandolero!  is watchable along with the Matt Helm films along with his more well known pieces.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

 

I actually like Kiss Me Stupid it's got some great lines, but I also primarily remember him for The Dean Martin Show, he was the epitome of cool.

Bandolero!  is watchable along with the Matt Helm films along with his more well known pieces.

 

I went to the show to see Bandolero when it first came out in 1968. It was fun and unpretentious, not pretending to be a  great work of art.

Had a few problems believing Dino and Jimmy Stewart were brothers, though.

Dean is a hoot in Kiss Me Stupid in a parody of his own screen persona. A lot of people attack this film as tasteless but Martin and Kim Novak make it worth watching, even if the film does go on too long.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would have been nice to really complete a career overview if they could have included at least one of the Cannonball Run movies, in which Dean clowns around with Sammy. These Fox releases were the final two theatrical films he was ever in (one TV movie came after them). Heck, Sinatra and Shirley Maclaine are also in the second one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Would have been nice to really complete a career overview if they could have included at least one of the Cannonball Run movies, in which Dean clowns around with Sammy.  

Of course, the best clowning Dean ever did with Sammy is when, at some Vegas appearance, he held Sammy in his arms and said,  "I'd like to thank the NAACP for this award...."  :D

Most FANS knew better, but sadly, the general  public never really gave Dean the credit he clearly deserved for his vivid sense of humor.   

And of course, DON'T forget those ROASTS!  Yeah, sure, maybe most(if not all) were never really all that "spontaneous", and ALL the gags were "pre-penned", but really, that fact didn't  make any of them that much LESS fun, did it?  ;)

Sepiatone

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/2/2018 at 9:27 AM, TomJH said:

I went to the show to see Bandolero when it first came out in 1968. It was fun and unpretentious, not pretending to be a  great work of art.

Had a few problems believing Dino and Jimmy Stewart were brothers, though.

Dean is a hoot in Kiss Me Stupid in a parody of his own screen persona. A lot of people attack this film as tasteless but Martin and Kim Novak make it worth watching, even if the film does go on too long.

Tom, if you have trouble believing that Dino and Jimmy Stewart are brothers (me too), how about Wendy Hiller as Dean's sister in Toys in the Attic? Geraldine Page is their sister, as well. That must have been one crazy gene pool.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, kingrat said:

Tom, if you have trouble believing that Dino and Jimmy Stewart are brothers (me too), how about Wendy Hiller as Dean's sister in Toys in the Attic? Geraldine Page is their sister, as well. That must have been one crazy gene pool.

You mean Jimmy Stewart is related to Wendy Hiller and Geraldine Page, as well?

hqdefault.jpg

"Mom always liked you best."

"That's because she knew I was her's. Nobody knew where the heck you came from."

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...