Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Frustrated

M.T. Upharsin

I have been a long time fan of TCM.  It's the channel I watch the most.  Ever since they did away with the printed addition of Now Playing, I have been frustrated.   Now Playing used to come several weeks before the month began.  This made it very easy to see what would be on and to DVR the movies I would be unable to watch when aired.   Now I have to wait until the first of the month to print the schedule.  Sure, I could view week by week to see, but that is not convenient.  Now this month, I am finding it hard to find the alphabetical listing where it lists the genre.  I really do wish they would go back to the printed edition.  Am I alone on this?

• Like 2

as a canadian tcm fan, what frustrates me is when great films I've been wanting to see like hiroshima, mon amour and spirit of the beehive get replaced by todo un caballero and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer1925 Studio Tour

rights issues my **** at least replace them with something worth watching

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

No, you're not alone. I'm very "old school", and vastly prefer reading  printed hard-copy text of any kind to on-line reading. I never read  "Ebooks" - old-fashioned,turn-the-page, bound books for me !

Same thing with "Now Playing". I really liked getting it in the mail, and enjoyed just holding it in my hands and being able to browse through it. I find everything I look up on-line less enjoyable in terms of finding the information I want. Plus I dislike scrolling, it's harder on my eyes, - - I could go on, but I realize I sound like a cranky old thing. 

"Gol darn it, I just can't keep up with this dad-blasted digital nonsense. Where's a nice tangible magazine or book when you need it?"  (I'm making fun of myself, not anyone else who prefers hard copy to digital....)

Yes, it's too bad TCM eliminated their hard copy Now Playing monthly magazine. I suppose it saves costs, and there are probably a lot of people who are just as happy to read it that way. Guess you and I are not among them, though.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Stephie.M said:

I have been a long time fan of TCM.  It's the channel I watch the most.  Ever since they did away with the printed addition of Now Playing, I have been frustrated.   Now Playing used to come several weeks before the month began.  This made it very easy to see what would be on and to DVR the movies I would be unable to watch when aired.   Now I have to wait until the first of the month to print the schedule.  Sure, I could view week by week to see, but that is not convenient.  Now this month, I am finding it hard to find the alphabetical listing.  I really do wish they would go back to the printed edition.  It was so much easier to view than the website and easy to pack along if I was traveling.  Am I alone on this?

You're not. I totally miss the mailed version too, though I have tried to get used to printing up my copy each month.

Caveat emptor? I guess we weren't really "buying" the channel to view the movies, but in some way the powers that be decided to change formats without seeming to care about their subscribers and preferences, so one should beware the purveyors of the product. It's possible that the majority really prefer getting their schedules online though, since I've never seen a survey taken.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

No, you're not alone. I'm very "old school", and vastly prefer reading  printed hard-copy text of any kind to on-line reading. I never read  "Ebooks" - old-fashioned,turn-the-page, bound books for me !

Same thing with "Now Playing". I really liked getting it in the mail, and enjoyed just holding it in my hands and being able to browse through it. I find everything I look up on-line less enjoyable in terms of finding the information I want. Plus I dislike scrolling, it's harder on my eyes, - - I could go on, but I realize I sound like a cranky old thing. 

"Gol darn it, I just can't keep up with this dad-blasted digital nonsense. Where's a nice tangible magazine or book when you need it?"  (I'm making fun of myself, not anyone else who prefers hard copy to digital....)

Yes, it's too bad TCM eliminated their hard copy Now Playing monthly magazine. I suppose it saves costs, and there are probably a lot of people who are just as happy to read it that way. Guess you and I are not among them, though.

I can tell you are a "book person" which are the kind of people I like best, Miss Wonderly.

Your appreciation for holding the object in your hands, tangibly and being able to peruse the pages confirms this. Having to get online for everything, is a drag sometimes. I had a friend who bought a new tv, was looking for the instruction booklet and was told she had to access it online. She was totally ticked off, as well she should be.

I don't think it is being "cranky" to be old school on things which perhaps were better in the old school days way. One does wonder if TCM takes any consideration into what viewers who pay for their service like best, and I still would be curious if polled, what the stats would say for or against having the printed version mailed to one's home as opposed to the online schedule.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, hutz said:

as a canadian tcm fan, what frustrates me is when great films I've been wanting to see like hiroshima, mon amour and spirit of the beehive get replaced by todo un caballero and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer1925 Studio Tour

rights issues my **** at least replace them with something worth watching

Gee, no HMA? I never thought I'd have to say I'm glad I don't live in Canada.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Count me among those who really miss the old TCM magazine.   It was always a highlight for me to get that several weeks before the first of the month.  The very day that I would receive it, I would go  through the magazine and note all the movies that I wanted to see.  Since Robert Osborne contributed so much to each issue, I can't help but wonder if discontinuing it had anything to do with his death?

• Like 3

On 9/1/2018 at 10:27 AM, CaveGirl said:

I can tell you are a "book person" which are the kind of people I like best, Miss Wonderly.

Oh goody, I am of that kind. We must be friends ;)

The problem with online is that you cannot browse, this despite the fact we have a browser, ha. But that old-fashioned way of browsing bookwise cannot be replaced. Picking up a book and rifling (or gentle page turning) through the pages and happening upon a favorite passage could be a nice surprise but now it is a fun thing lost. I loved the old mass-market paperbacks that were sometimes called Pocketbooks (that venerable old brand name) that could actually fit in your pocket. I always took a book with me where ever I would go even though I knew most of the time I might not have a chance to read it when I got there. But I was happy to know it was on my person. All the little rituals. Even just holding a book in eager hands seems a ritual in retrospect since now it has become a rarefied experience. Even the bookstore has become rare. Ou sont les neiges d'antan? And will books some day disappear altogether? I tell you, friends, we are not safe.:(

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Hepburn Fan said:

I don't like Turner Classic Movies anymore. The guide, the hosts, etc. I do like the movies, but that is all. Perhaps a change to services like Hulu, Netflix and Amazon is a better idea. I don't believe the guide will ever come back. The old guide was never far from the TV remote. Not true anymore.

Isn't 'the movies' 95% of what TCM does?    I find it interesting when one says they don't like a company \ artist \ actor \ musician \ athlete when they appear to like 95% of the product \ services being provided. 

3 minutes ago, Hepburn Fan said:

The movies are available on the other services mentioned. I like the movies, but not the packaging. Does that make sense? Compromises would be necessary. Without TCM or FilmStruck, some movies would not be available. To quote Lilly Tomlin in 9 to 5, "I'm a tree, I can bend." The Roku Channel has the newer version of "Yours, Mine, and Ours." Free with commercials. I suppose the commercial free element of TCM is the biggest plus, but I did grow up with commercials on TV. The older I get, the greater value those commercial breaks become.

Clearly no-commercials and most studio-era films are the biggest reason to watch TCM.    TCM clearly has faults (e.g.  showing too many 'repeats' and too much focus on the 'major' studios and 'popular' films),  but overall there is much move to like then to dislike. 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2018 at 4:00 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Clearly no-commercials and most studio-era films are the biggest reason to watch TCM.    TCM clearly has faults (e.g.  showing too many 'repeats' and too much focus on the 'major' studios and 'popular' films),  but overall there is much move to like then to dislike. 

I even consider the "too many repeats" argument as BS, as every other movie channel repeats movies to a far, far greater extent than TCM ever has. Most of them show the same 10-15 movies on a loop over and over again all month, changing out a handful of titles each moth. TCM on the other hand will be showing 424 different movies in September. 

I suppose if all one does is watch TCM 24/7 then a movie repeated once every month may be too much to bear, but to me that's just silliness.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Hepburn Fan said:

I haven't been watching TCM all that long. Started long before Tiffany, but that isn't saying much. TCM is the only movie channel I watch. It seems rare for a movie to show twice in a month. It is not uncommon for the same movie to show up a month or two later. I am guilty as charged for watching just one channel too much. TCM isn't perfect, just convenient. I loved the printed guide and it was a panic situation when it got misplaced. It was supposed to remain under the remote. The new and improved guide is everything but.

I do sympathize with you in regards to the printed guide. If I were to use the guide, I would prefer a physical copy over a digital e-mail copy, especially as there appears to be a lot of issues with the digital version, judging by the complaints about it.

11 minutes ago, Hepburn Fan said:

I am not willing to print the guide in any form. That is one reason to complain. The email guide is not useful. I just look at the guide on the TCM site. Not the monthly one, but the daily one. What do you use if not the guide?

I'll look at the schedule when it's posted on here, and then use my DVR/cable box guide when it gets close to the time when something I want to see is on. I DVR everything I watch, and rarely if ever watch the channel live.

7 hours ago, Stephie.M said:

Now I have to wait until the first of the month to print the schedule.

Actually, you don't.  I view weekly schedules at URLs such as:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2018-09-03

That's the weekly schedule starting Sept. 3, 2018.  (Note that that's Eastern time.)  You can replace "weekly" with "monthly" to get the URL, and change the date at the end.  You don't have to change the date to the first of the month to get the calendar month schedule.  So, for example,

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?tz=est&sdate=2018-10-03

brings up the schedule for October 2018.  Disregard the fact that it mentions Dean Martin as Star of the Month; you'll notice from the days of the week and the fact there's a 31st that it is in fact October's schedule.

• Like 1

Okay so I think I liked every post in this topic, but I for one would have to say I am glad I don't get a print edition because I would HOARD the crap out of those things. :lol: :D :lol: (I explain why below.  I am totally for everyone receiving a print edition.  I'm just glad I don't because I would love them too much.)

And as much as I wish you all still received your print edition I highly doubt they are ever going to go back to the expense of sending those out.  It is a real shame, but spending money on having things printed and mailed just isn't an expense I think most companies are willing to take on.  But if you really want to read something I've included a completely inane and pointless bit of trivia for you to memorize below. B)

A little bit of Looney's background and current circumstance.  I have only recently gotten regular access to TCM.  I haven't had cable television since 2010 thanks to living in a rural community that had a cable TV provider that, I assume, changed ownership every two years to stay ahead of the law.  The service was garbage and the channel selection never included TCM.  It finally disappeared completely in 2010.  I rent and the landlord would not allow us to get a dish, at least not until he realized there was no other way to get television in this town - not even a digital antenna.  By the time he came to that realization I was well stocked with online subscription services and no longer needed cable TV, except for wanting to see TCM.  So I was able to see TCM a couple of times a year when I traveled a thousand miles to Mom's or when I got bored at my friends house and turned it on when no one was paying attention to me. :D 

Cut to about a year ago when I found out I could get Sling TV that had a TCM subscription and POW!!!!! Unfortunately I can't use anything on the App because Sling isn't a listed provider and they took the schedule off the App for some RIDICULOUS reason, so I don't even open it anymore.  BUT Sling has access to TCM ON DEMAND, so that makes up for it.  And I find that is how I am watching most of the movies other than whatever comes on Noir Alley (not just because I love Noir Alley, but because that is when I can schedule a sit down.)  Unfortunately not every movie shows up ON DEMAND and some are only briefly available.

Anyway short story long, if the print edition still existed I would not receive it because I am not a normal subscriber and that is a good thing because I wasn't joking when I said I would "HOARD the crap" out of those things.  I have issues. ;)

P.S. Other than places like this, I too hate reading online or digital editions.  I don't read much, but if I am going to read it better be bound in a book.

• Like 1

JJG said TCM clearly has faults (e.g. showing too many 'repeats' and too much focus on the 'major' studios and 'popular' films), but overall there is much more to like then to dislike.

Thanks for looking at the glass half full.
"Repeats" has been explained before-movie rental packages dictate how many times a movie must be broadcast (ie once, twice or even 3 times within a 3 month period) and realize there is a FINITE number of films that can be shown....we're talking about a TV station that's continually broadcasting! They run out of titles to show.

"Focusing on popular films put out by major studios" is also a commonality due to what's available for rental. And really, it's the most accessible group of movies for the general public. Casual movie fans often can't deal with B&W, foreign or silent films, those are too "out there" or "arty" for the great unwashed who flock to theaters to see the latest McMovie franchise.

But back to the OP: I loved my old Now Playing paper magazines and have filed them away in my office library for posterity. I loved the easy to read format and often used the listings to see what to watch for the upcoming month.

I can deal with an online version, my beef is that they post it WAY TOO LATE! Sorry, I'm done setting the DVR to record whatever I can't watch two months ago. (I'm just about to peruse October's online schedule Sept 1st)
The paper version would arrive a month or so in advance, why can't they do that for the ONLINE version? I don't bother even looking at it, it's sent out just way too late to be useful.

Somewhat self-serving message:

I too miss the printed Now Playing magazine and the early look at the schedule it would provide.  That is the reason why for over a year now I have been creating an equivalent to the “At A Glance” section that was one of the main features of Now Playing magazine and posting it on this message board typically 4 weeks in advance of the beginning of the month.  (See the Early Now Playing guide topic.)

Why am I doing this?  It does take several hours each month to create it, but I enjoy having it available and hope that others would appreciate it as well.  (Thanks very much to those that have told me how much they do.)

Since TCM is now producing their e-mail guide that includes an “At A Glance” section I could just quit my efforts, but TCM doesn’t publish this until the first of the current month.  They do typically include 10 or so extra days in this version for the next month, but if you want to see the entirety of the next month early you will have to wait until the first of that month.  So I have decided it is worth it to keep going.  (Not to boast, but the Summer Under the Stars TCM e-mail was a big disappointment in this regard because no extra days for September were initially included.  They did include some extra days in the version that was sent out on August 15th.)

There have also been several other messages here from members who for some reason are unable to get their e-mail subscriptions working (not sure why there are still problems with TCM electronic subscriptions).  For those who can’t get the e-mail version to work, they can always download the version I post.

Again not to brag, but I have tried to make this version of the At A Glance section very equivalent to if not actually more complete than what TCM produced.  Thanks to the efforts of MovieCollectorOH we have very good information on upcoming premieres, and I am including much more detail on the daily schedules than would typically be printed.  Also, the section on the Showcase series (Silent Sunday Nights, TCM Imports, etc.) includes the dates for the movies, rather than just listing the titles.

I realize my efforts can never match how nice the printed Now Playing magazine was.  But I can’t think of anything more that can be done to provide something of an equivalent given the information that is available.

• Thanks 2

On 9/1/2018 at 5:43 AM, Stephie.M said:

I have been a long time fan of TCM.  It's the channel I watch the most.  Ever since they did away with the printed addition of Now Playing, I have been frustrated.  

On 9/1/2018 at 10:12 AM, misswonderly3 said:

Same thing with "Now Playing". I really liked getting it in the mail, and enjoyed just holding it in my hands and being able to browse through it. I find everything I look up on-line less enjoyable in terms of finding the information I want.

During these difficult times, think of all the beautiful maple trees that are allowed to live because of your dear sacrifice.

TurkeyHillslideshow1.jpg

As you can see with the newspaper industry, paper itself is going away in many areas of life. Change is always a part of life and TCM has to adjust or get left behind. I prefer to look at the positives of TCM. Because in this world, you don't get anything for free.

If TCM kept the printed version, they would have to cut something else. And frankly, as long as its good films commercial free , I can deal with the rest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

While I liked the printed Now Playing guide, it wasn't the end of the world for me when it ceased production.  I just go to tcm.com and look at the schedule for the upcoming week.  Then, using the Dish Anywhere app on my phone, I set up recordings as I go through the schedule.  The only reason I use my phone is that it's easier to set up the recordings on it than it is on the TV. 

TCM is one of a handful of channels I watch.  For me, neither Netflix nor Hulu can replace TCM.  There aren't enough classic films provided.  Amazon Prime has a pretty good selection, but it cannot replace what TCM offers.  If there's a film I want to see (and it's available on DVD/Blu Ray), I use the library to supplement TCM.  But seeing that I have over 400 films recorded, TCM is doing fine by me right now. 

Since I don't watch TCM 24/7, I don't notice the repeats.  With the amount of films I own and have recorded, one repeat is not an issue for me.  The biggest plus for me (re: TCM) is no commercials.  I try to avoid commercials if at all possible. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

During these difficult times, think of all the beautiful maple trees that are allowed to live because of your dear sacrifice.

TurkeyHillslideshow1.jpg

As you can see with the newspaper industry, paper itself is going away in many areas of life. Change is always a part of life and TCM has to adjust or get left behind. I prefer to look at the positives of TCM. Because in this world, you don't get anything for free.

If TCM kept the printed version, they would have to cut something else. And frankly, as long as its good films commercial free , I can deal with the rest.

Ok, Gerald, but really, I was just being sympathetic to the original poster. Although I did prefer the hard copy version of "Now Playing", the switch to the on-line version wasn't something that haunted my dreams or anything. 

I actually rarely complain about anything TCM does ( except not screening certain films in Canada, which is probably not their fault, but a rights issue.)  And I would not have created a thread about this particular topic myself; as I say, I was just empathizing with the O.P.

However, as for books, I will never want to read books on a screen. I stick by that. As for trees and paper use, we have more to worry about with the ongoing destruction of the rain forests than we have about paper from trees that are planted, grown, harvested, and replanted for the specific purpose of producing paper.

sorry if I seem curt, you're actually a poster here who I like a lot. But I don't like feeling reproved for not appreciating Turner Classic Movies, when in fact, as I said, I never complain about anything they do - unlike lots of people here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

sorry if I seem curt, you're actually a poster here who I like a lot. But I don't like feeling reproved for not appreciating Turner Classic Movies, when in fact, as I said, I never complain about anything they do - unlike lots of people here.

I actually agree with you. its so much easier to go from page to page back and forth in a hard copy book rather than a screen. I actually order old used paperback books to read. They're already broken in and I'm only going to read a book once or twice.

I was just simply saying that there are some good things about going to the electronic route. Not it isn't better. But, at least it still exists in some form. And frankly speaking out is how they know our opinions.

• Like 2

I received the paper Now Playing guide for decades, enjoyed the heck out of it, but as others have said, I couldn't toss them and they piled up. Okay for looking back I suppose, but cluttery none-the-less.

I too prefer paper to digital, but after losing a lifetime library of accumulated books that were in storage, I do see the portable advantages of digital. Just don't enjoy reading from an e reader like I do from paper... What a quandary. :(

However as much as I enjoyed the Now Playing Guide, I learned early on to not rely upon it as it never listed the program changes that frequently occurred.
So I got into the habit of making a digital (word copy) of the month long schedules, which then were available for four or more months ahead. They still would be changeable, but since I VCR'd and then DVR'd a lot back then (burning DVDs of my favorites), I found it useful to see what was repeating so I could space out my record/burn cycle. Normally if a prime-time program is preempted for a tribute, that movie will be repeated in a month or two, so that was always a relief. But still had to refer to the weekly on-line schedule and a week out would edit the monthly schedule to reflect the latest changes. Cumbersome, but no different than what I'd been doing with the paper edition.
I used to print out my more up-date digital schedules, but that was using a lot of paper, and seeing as how I am reluctant to throw such things away, I was back to the clutter factor. So several years ago I gradually weaned myself from paper, as far as TCM went, and just referred to my own modified digital copies when planning my watch/recording sessions.
So nothing of import. in that regard actually changed for me when TCM announced they were D/Cing the NowPlaying mailer.
Funny thing is that since they have initiated NowPlaying as an on-line digital guide, I've not accessed it once.
In fact, aside from these boards and signing-in to WATCH TCM ON-DEMAND, I rarely  sign-in to TCM for anything.

Just too many cookies and tracking spyware for my liking. The site is far from secure and TCM is incessant about making us ever more vulnerable On-Line here to anyone or anything, as well their own numerous 3rd party vendors.

Took me several years, but I eventually learned to see through the "friendly" hype.
Were it not for them still being my favorite location for uncut, uninterrupted, commercial "free" programing, I would abandon them in a heartbeat.

Since most of what I watch these days is transferred from on-demand sources, I've recently thought about checking into  Filmstruck as an alternative. Haven't yet, though, as I imagine that due to the TCM affiliation they may be as voraciously hungry to gather whatever salable info as they can about their subscribers as TCM is. And I am loathsome of dealing with such an abundance of 3rd party cookies, and tracking spyware. 

Ho hum, compromises, compromises.... and never truly satisfied with any of them.
Perhaps I am just turning into a grumpy old man (???) :wacko:

BTW, here are links to the two online sources that I still refer to for TCM

Just change the dates and timezone as needed.

Weekly
http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=cst&sdate=2018-09-01

Monthly
http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?tz=CST&sdate=2018-11-01

BTW, I really feel for the Canadian TCM viewers posted dilemma. However, Canada trumps the U.S. in so many ways, that I'd say just count your blessings, even if you can't count on TCM ;)

Edit:
Damn, I just noticed that Fedya had previously posted those links in this thread...
So disregard mine here, and refer to Fedya's links instead.
Sorry about that Fedya :blink:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings