Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

All_That_Heaven_Allows (1955) in Pan&Scan -- WHY??

jrodor1

On Sunday, June 27, 2004 at 8:15pm EDT, TCM played a

Pan&Scan (P&S) version of "All That Heaven Allows" (1955).

According to DVD technical info from Amazon.Com

(cited below), it's not clear why TCM would air

it P&S when a Widescreen [Letterbox] version has

been available on DVD for over THREE YEARS.

Consider the data below taken from the DVD

descriptions off Amazon.Com:

Release Information:

Studio: Criterion Collection

DVD Release Date: June 19, 2001

Aspect Ratio(s):

Widescreen anamorphic - 1.85:1

Why didn't TCM air "All That Heaven Allows" in LBX?

Are subscribers to presume that "Criterion Collection"

will not permit TCM to air the widescreen version

of this film until some special date?

I know - I'm furious about it. There must be some breakdown in communication going on. We have it listed as letterbox in our guide; there's no good excuse.

The good news is we've worked it out with Warner Brothers that we can access the letterboxed versions sooner than 6 months. The next time "The Color Purple" and "Around the World in 80 Days" are on, they will be in letterbox.

My god JRODOR1, what is it with you and your massive aversion to pan and scan formatting?? I prefer widescreen/Letterbox as well, but am happy to see TCM's programming in whatever format is available. TCM does so many things right, that it seems kind of petty to quibble over such a thing as what format a film is presented in. Instead of asking WHY so much, just sit back and enjoy the movie. Life's too short, man.....

Considering the work that goes into scheduling the multitude of films on TCM each day,the programmers deserve a four star rating! I too prefer letterbox by a wide margin. If a mistake is made,I have two choices.Either watch it in p&s or change the channel.Again programmers ,keep up the good work!!!

of course, I don't like it when people complain, and I very much appreciate people understanding that there's a lot of work that goes into putting these films on the network

nevertheless, we'd prefer to have a letterbox version - we always want a letterbox version - and it makes sense to ask us what happened

if you see a pan&scan version, there are two possibilities: 1 - we made a mistake (didn't do it intentionally, so you can accuse us of incompetence but not maliciousness); 2 - the distributor wouldn't provide us with a letterboxed version (this happens sometimes, either because they want to keep it exclusively on dvd or they never made a letterbox transfer)

I think it's safe to say that we've been pioneers in playing letterbox versions - before dvds came out and people even had an understanding of what letterboxing is (and before I joined the network), TCM has always played films in letterbox whenever they could

so, it's fine to ask "why" a film didn't show in letterbox and we will give you an honest answer, but I don't think it makes much sense to complain too much

It seems to me that the TCM Programmer has provided us with ample and valid explanations concerning the pan and scan VS. letterboxed movies we see, and also that they have been doing the best they can to get us letterboxed movies whenever they can for a long time now, and will continue to do so. I'm very satisfied with the efforts TCM makes, and I Thank them every time that my

TV set is turned to their channel, in addition to thanking them whenever I can here.

Good job, TCM! ML

Archived