Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's up, Doc? at ten tonite

NipkowDisc

a funny flick if you like musicologist conventions. I doan hold with dismissing ryan O'Neal's performance as a cary grant impression because O'Neal seems very good. when howard bannister decides to walk away after the TV catches fire and everything else catches, he shoulda stuck around and embarrassed Streisand by pulling off the towel when she came back in. that woulda taken some of the cutesey-utsey out of her.

:)

Image result for what's up doc 1972

Image result for what's up doc 1972

Maybe on the theory that Louder is Better.

I tried to watch this - I really did.  But it was just too much for my nerves to take.  Streisand was like a tsunami - relentlessly overwhelming.  Definitely not, and never have been, a Streisand fan, but I do think she calmed down considerably in her later movies, which I can at least watch without squirming too much.

Madeline Kahn was misused here, I think.  She was much too subtle and actress for this rendering of her character.  I did like O'Neal, though.

I never thought of Bogdanovich as a comedy director.  The entire enterprise was like a car running on four flat tires.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emily Emerac said:

Maybe on the theory that Louder is Better.

I tried to watch this - I really did.  But it was just too much for my nerves to take.  Streisand was like a tsunami - relentlessly overwhelming.  Definitely not, and never have been, a Streisand fan, but I do think she calmed down considerably in her later movies, which I can at least watch without squirming too much.

Madeline Kahn was misused here, I think.  She was much too subtle and actress for this rendering of her character.  I did like O'Neal, though.

I never thought of Bogdanovich as a comedy director.  The entire enterprise was like a car running on four flat tires.

I agree with alotta that. Streisand is a callous monster and you actually feel sorry for madeline kahn as Eunice.

but that dirello street locale takes the cake. ain't exactly fisherman's wharf.

:D

• 1 month later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings