Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My Marion Davies Book

drednm

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Does your writing this book mean you've seen every Marion Davies film? Are they all available? Just curious.

I've seen everything that survives except for IT'S A WISE CHILD which is locked up for copyright disputes. Six of the silents are presumed lost.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, drednm said:

I've seen everything that survives except for IT'S A WISE CHILD which is locked up for copyright disputes. Six of the silents are presumed lost.

These seem to be her earlier films (that are considered lost). What about the two from 1928 labeled on her wiki page as incomplete. Are those films that were started but then abandoned?

I don't think any footage was shot for ROSALIE. There was footage shot for THE FIVE O'CLOCK GIRL but Hearst and MGM shelved the project and supposedly destroyed the film. Conflicting stories as to how much was filmed, why they pulled the plug, and why (if) it was destroyed. This one co-starred Charles King, Joel McCrea, and Aileen Pringle. I've read every excuse from bad recording equipment to Hearst's not wanting Davies to play a shop girl. The former seems more likely since he certainly knew what the plot was. They rushed into MARIANNE as a silent and then re-cast and reshot the entire films as a talkie. The sticks got the silent treatment, so to speak. Davies was not a great singer, but as MARIANNE shows, she was quite capable. Rumors persist that the FIVE O'CLOCK GIRL footage survives.

Here's Davies and McCrea in a still. He plays a plumber.

c5bc49e886ca1e601003caf2a961c36c.jpgpost images

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, drednm said:

They were readying ROSALIE but the script wasn't right so it went into turnaround. MGM filmed it in 1937 with Eleanor Powell. THE FIVE O'CLOCK GIRL was never filmed.

In the notes section for ROSALIE (1937) on the TCM database page it says:

A production chart in Hollywood Filmograph on May 24, 1930 listed an M-G-M film entitled Rosaile "in preparation." That film was to star Marion Davies and be directed by Robert Z. Leonard. It is possible that the planned 1930 production was also to be based on the Broadway play, however, no additional information on its history has been located.

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

In the notes section for ROSALIE (1937) on the TCM database page it says:

A production chart in Hollywood Filmograph on May 24, 1930 listed an M-G-M film entitled Rosalie "in preparation." That film was to star Marion Davies and be directed by Robert Z. Leonard. It is possible that the planned 1930 production was also to be based on the Broadway play, however, no additional information on its history has been located.

Yes but it was first planned in 1928. It kept floating around. Davies had quite a few of these kinds of MGM projects (Shearer and Crawford likely did too) that never worked out. Davies wanted THE BARRETTS OF WIMPOLE STREET but Thalberg gave it to wife Shearer. Davies wanted MARIE ANTOINETTE but Thalberg said she could have it if Hearst financed the film 100%. Hearst and MGM split production costs for Davies' films. Davies was mentioned for TWENTIETH CENTURY and IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT but Hearst refused any loan outs. Later, Warners bought TOVARICH for Davies but she left the studio when they stalled it and it eventually went to Claudette Colbert.

2 minutes ago, drednm said:

Yes but it was first planned in 1928. It kept floating around. Davies had quite a few of these kinds of MGM projects (Shearer and Crawford likely did too) that never worked out. Davies wanted THE BARRETTS OF WIMPOLE STREET but Thalberg gave it to wife Shearer. Davies wanted MARIE ANTOINETTE but Thalberg said she could have it if Hearst financed the film 100%. Hearst and MGM split production costs for Davies' films. Davies was mentioned for TWENTIETH CENTURY and IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT but Hearst refused any loan outs. Later, Warners bought TOVARICH for Davies but she left the studio when they stalled it and it eventually went to Claudette Colbert.

Interesting. I see there are ten votes for THE FIVE O'CLOCK GIRL on the IMDb. Surely these cannot be people who've seen any footage of it..? I corresponded earlier this year with Joel McCrea's grandson about McCrea's westerns. I might send him another note and ask if his grandfather ever talked about THE FIVE O'CLOCK GIRL. McCrea was doing mostly uncredited parts in 1927/28 so being cast as Marion Davies' leading man in an early talkie would have been a big deal.

9 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Interesting. I see there are ten votes for THE FIVE O'CLOCK GIRL on the IMDb. Surely these cannot be people who've seen any footage of it..? I corresponded earlier this year with Joel McCrea's grandson about McCrea's westerns. I might send him another note and ask if his grandfather ever talked about THE FIVE O'CLOCK GIRL. McCrea was doing mostly uncredited parts in 1927/28 so being cast as Marion Davies' leading man in an early talkie would have been a big deal.

It would have been McCrea's first big role. He was an extra in Davies' THE FAIR CO-ED in 1927.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drednm said:

It would have been McCrea's first big role. He was an extra in Davies' THE FAIR CO-ED in 1927.

Thanks. I sent an email to Wyatt McCrea (Joel's grandson) last night to ask him if ever heard his grandfather mention FIVE O'CLOCK GIRL. Sometimes it takes a while for a reply. We'll see what he tells me.

56 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks. I sent an email to Wyatt McCrea (Joel's grandson) last night to ask him if ever heard his grandfather mention FIVE O'CLOCK GIRL. Sometimes it takes a while for a reply. We'll see what he tells me.

That would be interesting. MGM really hushed it up. Some reports say they only filmed a few weeks; others claim the film was finished (which I doubt).

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Do you talk Davies' incomplete projects in your book? Or just her completed films?

Just the completed ones. There's not much to say about incompleted films that no one has seen other than to note them as such.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, drednm said:

I didnt realize Rosalie was the same film that Powell made later. Was it to be a silent musical? (LOL). I'd read WB bought Tovarich initially for Kay Francis?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings