Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Paramount & 20th Century Fox Films

Buck'em

Maybe I haven't taken as much notice before, but it seems as if TCM has been showing more films originating from Paramount and 20th Century Fox.  I understand TCM has some sort of tie to, or perhaps a former or related ownership of the MCM vault, but I'm really glad to see other studios' films like these on the schedule, and commend TCM for adding this variety.

Most of the pre-48 Paramount films that TCM shows have been screened many times in the past. There is a vast library of Paramount pre-48 and Universal films that have never been shown on TCM. The last new old Paramount film to screen on TCM was DEAR RUTH during the William Holden Star of the Month.

With the big studios still caught in the limbo between thinking that vintage-catalog disk is "dead", and the reality that digital video is dead, a lot of vintage catalogs have fallen into an unwanted semi-public-domain "Orphan" state.

There's been jokes among streaming fans of the "MGM/UA Orphans", that the MGM, UA, Orion, Hemdale, Atlantic and Cannon Pictures catalogs have suddenly been up for grabs--Which is why you haven't been able to throw a rock anywhere on streaming or third-party disk companies in the last year and not hit Woody Allen, the Pink Panther, Robocop, Dances With Wolves, Bill & Ted or Thelma & Louise.

But just in the past few months, they've been joined by the late-70's to 80's Paramount catalog titles that Paramount leased to Warner to release on disk, and Warner, characteristically let lapse.  Which is why Clue, Clueless, A Clear and Present Danger and The Untouchables have now joined the usual streaming suspects.  TCM isn't just confined to Warner-owned titles, they're allowed to show a few ownership-challenged public domain titles as well.

Now recently the Columbia catalog has started to wander the orphan streets (probably now that Sony is thinking about putting Crackle out of our misery), and Oliver, Godspell, Godzilla and Baron Munchhausen have been sighted more frequently...

Don't have hard data to provide right at this moment, but based on recordings I made years ago, I feel TCM showed way more Paramount selections in the '00s than they have since about 2010. I have old VHS tapes just full of Paramount material that aired between 2000-2010. On the other hand, I do agree about Fox, however. I would say TCM has shown a lot more Fox films since 2010 than before it. Sorta one step forward, one step back. I hope a day comes when we see both studios truly well represented on TCM.

3 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Don't have hard data to provide right at this moment, but based on recordings I made years ago, I feel TCM showed way more Paramount selections in the '00s than they have since about 2010. I have old VHS tapes just full of Paramount material that aired between 2000-2010. On the other hand, I do agree about Fox, however. I would say TCM has shown a lot more Fox films since 2010 than before it. Sorta one step forward, one step back. I hope a day comes when we see both studios truly well represented on TCM.

Here is an experimental go at it to try and look into this.  This is just a rough first pass, so I may be overlooking something or it might not be perfect, but it is a simple enough concept here to put up results right away.  I started with my "#1" report from my main project, and added the condition that the production company must also include "Fox Film Corporation [us]" or "Paramount Pictures [us]", as per IMDB (the Fox Film string covers Fox Film Corp, Twentieth Century Fox, and 20th Century Fox).

There may be other production companies later acquired or distributed by these production companies, whose movies would not be included.  That is the imperfect part.

http://moviecollector.us/adhoc_reports/1)movies-only-FOX.htm

http://moviecollector.us/adhoc_reports/1)movies-only-PARAMOUNT.htm

• Thanks 3

Just a cursory glance of your lists I would say confirms my suspicions. Fox films seem to have risen dramatically beginning in 2010 on TCM, hitting their peak in 2013 and have backed off some since that year, but still way more than the early aughts. Paramounts seem to have had their biggest representation from 2005-2009 and have diminished since then, though there were a bunch of Paramount films from the '40s shown in 2014, for some reason.

• Like 1

It's important to remember (and I keep forgetting) virtually every Paramount film made in the '30s and '40s is now owned by Universal. Also, I think most or all of the films Hitchcock made at Paramount are now controlled by Universal. So, the question of just who is leasing Paramount films to TCM depends on what years those films are from.

1 minute ago, sewhite2000 said:

It's important to remember (and I keep forgetting) virtually every Paramount film made in the '30s and '40s is now owned by Universal. Also, I think most or all of the films Hitchcock made at Paramount are now controlled by Universal. So, the question of just who is leasing Paramount films to TCM depends on what years those films are from.

From my understanding, Paramount controls its own films from 1950 forward; and also it controls the entire Republic Pictures library (1935-1959). So when we don't see those films on TCM very often, it's because TCM doesn't have a deal with Paramount. Probably because of cost. Though TCM does seem willing to pay out for Billy Wilder movies, Preston Sturges movies and Mae West movies.

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

From my understanding, Paramount controls its own films from 1950 forward; and also it controls the entire Republic Pictures library (1935-1959). So when we don't see those films on TCM very often, it's because TCM doesn't have a deal with Paramount. Probably because of cost. Though TCM does seem willing to pay out for Billy Wilder movies, Preston Sturges movies and Mae West movies.

Although, again, Paramount did lease some of its "unwanted" late 70's to early 90's catalog to Warner, when they were cutting back on home video, so it's possible a few recent late 20th-cty. titles, like the Tom Clancy movies, may be under Warner's banner, and thus TCM material. 

If they show "The Untouchables" for Sean Connery's Oscar, you have your answer.

• Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings