4. Any Number Can Play

5. Twelve O’Clock High

6. Sands of Iwo Jima

7. Hasty Heart, The

8. Little Women

9. Battleground

10. On the Town

Best Actor: James Cagney (White Heat)

Best Actress: Joan Crawford (Flamingo Road)

Supporting Actor: James Whitmore (Battleground)

Supporting Actress: Ethel Waters (Pinky)

Titles watched: 131

NOTE: Did not include movies eligible for Academy the following year (such as The Third Man), but did include those eligible from the previous year (such as The Fallen Idol).

TopBilled: I have your top 10 movies; hoping to get your individual awards.

• Like 2

My selections for 1949 include:

a0d16-screen2bshot2b2016-01-242bat2b10-0

James Cagney for WHITE HEAT. A smart performance from start to finish. It baffles me he wasn't even nominated.

Screen shot 2018-02-21 at 4.46.49 PM.png

Olivia De Havilland for THE HEIRESS. Exemplary in every way imaginable.

Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 6.37.55 PM.jpg

Louis Calhern's masterful work in THE RED PONY. A vivid portrayal of a rascally grandfather.

Screen shot 2018-02-21 at 4.50.15 PM.png

Miriam Hopkins as a well-meaning flamboyant aunt in THE HEIRESS. Superb characterization.

• Like 2

So, with The Third Man reserved for next year (as dagoldenage said) and The Fallen Idol eligible:

Top 10:

The Heiress

Gun Crazy

The Fallen Idol

A Letter to Three Wives

Criss Cross

White Heat

The Passionate Friends (may be 1950 per American release?)

Twelve O'Clock High

The Reckless Moment

Intruder in the Dust

If I need a replacement for The Passionate Friends: Too Late for Tears

Best Actor: Robert Ryan, The Set-Up (or James Cagney for White Heat or Ralph Richardson for The Fallen Idol)

Best Actress: Olivia De Havilland, The Heiress

Best Supporting Actor: Juano Hernandez, Intruder in the Dust (or Ralph Richardson for The Heiress)

Best Supporting Actress: Margaret Wycherly, White Heat

Most of dagoldenage's Top 10 would be excellent alternatives to the ones named above.

As for the top awards I agree with all of TB's choices of DeHavilland,  Calhern, and Hopkins,  but differ on Cagney for White Heat.      

While Cagney should have been nominated (instead of Wayne for Sands of Iwo Jima),   my choice is Kirk Douglas for Champion.   I'm not saying one performance is better than the other,  but instead that the Douglas' performance was one of his early roles (which I wish to recognize) ,  while Cagney falls back mostly "to form",  playing a type of character he was well known for in the 30s.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

As for the top awards for I agree with all of TB's choices of DeHavilland,  Calhern, and Hopkins,  but differ on Cagney for White Heat.      

While Cagney should have been nominated (instead of Wayne for Sands of Iwo Jima),   my choice is Kirk Douglas for Champion.   I'm not saying one performance is better than the other,  but instead that the Douglas performance was one of his early roles (which I wish to recognize) ,  while Cagney falls back mostly "to form",  playing a type of character he was well known for in the 30s.

Yes, Douglas does give a strong, gritty performance:

Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 10.19.24 AM.png

Since it is the year of my birth, I'm very fond of movies from 1949.  My favorite is probably The Secret Garden, a very good version of the venerable book, with outstanding performances by the kids in it, especially Margaret O'Brien and Dean Stockwell.

As for Oscars, I'd have given one to Robert Ryan, because I don't think he got nearly the professional accolades he deserved.  Paul Douglas for supporting actor (also an actor far too unrecognized).  I'm not sure about actresses.  I don't like de Havilland, and I wouldn't give her anything for any role.  Same goes for Miriam Hopkins.  I'd sooner see the Oscar go to Marjorie Main as Ma Kettle.  Patricia Neal and Audrey Totter had good parts that year as well.  I like Linda Darnell or Thelma Ritter for supporting, for Letter to Three Wives.

17 minutes ago, Emily Emerac said:

Since it is the year of my birth, I'm very fond of movies from 1949.  My favorite is probably The Secret Garden, a very good version of the venerable book, with outstanding performances by the kids in it, especially Margaret O'Brien and Dean Stockwell.

As for Oscars, I'd have given one to Robert Ryan, because I don't think he got nearly the professional accolades he deserved.  Paul Douglas for supporting actor (also an actor far too unrecognized).  I'm not sure about actresses.  I don't like de Havilland, and I wouldn't give her anything for any role.  Same goes for Miriam Hopkins.  I'd sooner see the Oscar go to Marjorie Main as Ma Kettle.  Patricia Neal and Audrey Totter had good parts that year as well.  I like Linda Darnell or Thelma Ritter for supporting, for Letter to Three Wives.

Is your opinion on who should have received an Oscar based on your overall feeling about a person instead of their actual performance as seen on the screen?  

It should 'feels' that way based on your comments.  

1949    (101 titles seen)

1. The Third Man**
  2. A Letter to Three Wives
  3. Adam's Rib
  4. White Heat
  5. Late Spring
  6. Stray Dog
  7. The Set-Up
  8. The Heiress
  9. All the King's Men
  10. Kind Hearts and Coronets

Runner-ups: Twelve O'Clock HighThieves' HighwayCriss CrossThe Reckless Moment

Best Actor: Broderick Crawford, All the King's Men

Best Actress: Olivia De Havilland, The Heiress

Best Supporting Actor: Alec Guinness, Kind Hearts and Coronets

Best Supporting Actress: Mercedes McCambridge, All the King's Men

Best Juvenile Performance: Dean Stockwell, Down to the Sea in Ships

**Since I'm not the Oscars, I'll include any movies released in 1949. ;)

• Like 2

If The Third Man was included in this year's list it would be my runaway winner as best film of the year. Since it's not included:

BEST FILMS

1. White Heat

2. The Heiress

3. Adam's Rib

4. Champion

5. The Set Up

6. Criss Cross

7. Too Late For Tears

8. All The King's Men

9. Letter To Three Wives

10. She Wore A Yellow Ribbon

BEST ACTOR

James Cagney, White Heat

BEST ACTRESS

Olivia de Havilland, The Heiress

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Ralph Richardson, The Heiress

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Margaret Wycherly, White Heat

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Is your opinion on who should have received an Oscar based on your overall feeling about a person instead of their actual performance as seen on the screen?  

It should 'feels' that way based on your comments.  

Not quite sure I understand you.

I assumed that everything written here is opinion, is it not?

And, in my opinion, not everyone who gets an Oscar gets it for the quality of their actual performance.  Sometimes it's for the emotional slant of the Academy at any given year (i.e., reflecting who's popular with them, or popular at the box office), or to redress neglect, or for many other reasons.  In my opinion.

Pick any Robert Ryan movie from 1949, and I'd award him an Oscar for it.  He was that good.  In my opinion.

17 minutes ago, Emily Emerac said:

Not quite sure I understand you.

I assumed that everything written here is opinion, is it not?

And, in my opinion, not everyone who gets an Oscar gets it for the quality of their actual performance.  Sometimes it's for the emotional slant of the Academy at any given year (i.e., reflecting who's popular with them, or popular at the box office), or to redress neglect, or for many other reasons.  In my opinion.

Pick any Robert Ryan movie from 1949, and I'd award him an Oscar for it.  He was that good.  In my opinion.

I wondered when you say something like  "I don't like de Havilland, and I wouldn't give her anything for any role", what you mean by 'like':  For example;  I have seen De Havilland in multiple roles (e.g. Gone with the Wind, Hold Back the Dawn),  and my opinion is that she isn't a very good actress.  She isn't convincing and her screen persona is annoying.

OR that you just don't like her as a human being and you're not really judging her actual performances.

Yes,  everything is an opinion. I just wondered what criteria you used to base your opinion on who deserved an Oscar or NOT.      

I admit I'm a big fan of De Havilland so sorry if I come off as defending her.    But I believe your the first person that didn't feel her performance in The Heiress wasn't Oscar worthy.   I believe many people here (and I'm one of them),  list it as one of the top 5 best performances by any actress in an American film during the studio era.  Also,  generally at this forum De Havilland is well respected for her abilities.    So I was just curious why you have such a strong negative opinion of said performance and her overall abilities as an actress.   

Now Hopkins is in a completely different category than De Havilland.    I.e. there are very polarizing views of her at this forum.   I'm a fan now,  but I didn't like her at all and have only come to enjoy her unique film persona in the last 5 or so years.    But yea,  the POV that she is way-too-over-the-top is understood and I can see why her film persona would get on someone's nerves.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I wondered when you say something like  "I don't like de Havilland, and I wouldn't give her anything for any role", what you mean by 'like':  For example;  I have seen De Havilland in multiple roles (e.g. Gone with the Wind, Hold Back the Dawn),  and my opinion is that she isn't a very good actress.  She isn't convincing and her screen persona is annoying.

OR that you just don't like her as a human being and you're not really judging her actual performances.

Yes,  everything is an opinion. I just wondered what criteria you used to base your opinion on who deserved an Oscar or NOT.      

I admit I'm a big fan of De Havilland so sorry if I come off as defending her.    But I believe your the first person that didn't feel her performance in The Heiress wasn't Oscar worthy.   I believe many people here (and I'm one of them),  list it as one of the top 5 best performances by any actress in an American film during the studio era.  Also,  generally at this forum De Havilland is well respected for her abilities.    So I was just curious why you have such a strong negative opinion of said performance and her overall abilities as an actress.   

Now Hopkins is in a completely different category than De Havilland.    I.e. there are very polarizing views of her at this forum.   I'm a fan now,  but I didn't like her at all and have only come to enjoy her unique film persona in the last 5 or so years.    But yea,  the POV that she is way-too-over-the-top is understood and I can see why her film persona would get on someone's nerves.

Never met Ms. de Havilland, so I don't know if I'd like her or not personally.  But onscreen she leaves me cold.  I find her the same in just about everything she does; I don't feel her getting "under" her characters, and I dislike her understated, singsongy delivery of lines.  And no, I didn't like her in The Heiress, or The Snake Pit, at all.  I found her whiny, not tragic in the former, and about as tormented as the queen of the debutante ball in the latter.  I did like her, though, in Midsummer Night's Dream.  I find that to be her most unaffected performance.  Also, there was an oldie, with James Cagney maybe, where she was nice and natural.  Otherwise, I'll watch something else.

I am on these boards to learn about why everyone else likes some and dislikes others, and to put in my two cents about what I like and don't like.  I've been watching and learning about movies for almost 70 years now -- I hope my opinions are as informed as everyone else's.

As you can see from my avatar, I'm a K. Hepburn fan of long standing, but I understand that she isn't everyone's cup of tea.  There's room for all of us, with the commonality of a love of cinema.  (And if you really want to know, my all time favorite actor is Sabu.)

1 minute ago, Emily Emerac said:

Never met the Ms. de Havilland, so I don't know if I'd like her or not personally.  But onscreen she leaves me cold.  I find her the same in just about everything she does; I don't feel her getting "under" her characters, and I dislike her understated, singsongy delivery of lines.  And no, I didn't like her in The Heiress, or The Snake Pit, at all.  I found her whiny, not tragic in the former, and about as tormented as the queen of the debutante ball in the latter.  I did like her, though, in Midsummer Night's Dream.  I find that to be her most unaffected performance.  Also, there was an oldie, with James Cagney maybe, where she was nice and natural.  Otherwise, I'll watch something else.

I am on these boards to learn about why everyone else likes some and dislikes others, and to put in my two cents about what I like and don't like.  I've been watching and learning about movies for almost 70 years now -- I hope my opinions are as informed as everyone else's.

As you can see from my avatar, I'm a K. Hepburn fan of long standing, but I understand that she isn't everyone's cup of tea.  There's room for all of us, with the commonality of a love of cinema.  (And if you really want to know, my all time favorite actor is Sabu.)

Some of De Havilland's characters should leave the audience cold. For instance we are not meant to feel warm and fuzzy about the woman she plays in MY COUSIN RACHEL, or the devious twin she plays in THE DARK MIRROR.

But if you want a feel-good sort of character, check THE AMBASSADOR'S DAUGHTER (1956) which has a sweet love story between her and John Forsythe. Or LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA (1962), where she starts out cold and eventually warms up to her daughter's romance with young George Hamilton.

P.S. I'm a fan of Katharine Hepburn, too.

7 minutes ago, Emily Emerac said:

Never met Ms. de Havilland, so I don't know if I'd like her or not personally.  But onscreen she leaves me cold.  I find her the same in just about everything she does; I don't feel her getting "under" her characters, and I dislike her understated, singsongy delivery of lines.  And no, I didn't like her in The Heiress, or The Snake Pit, at all.  I found her whiny, not tragic in the former, and about as tormented as the queen of the debutante ball in the latter.  I did like her, though, in Midsummer Night's Dream.  I find that to be her most unaffected performance.  Also, there was an oldie, with James Cagney maybe, where she was nice and natural.  Otherwise, I'll watch something else.

Thanks for the reply.  I suspect The Cagney \ Dehavilland movie you mentioned is The Strawberry Blonde.   This is one of my favor roles.    

As for your avatar;  it was so small I couldn't see what it was but now I see that it is from Desk Set.     Funny I was going to mention Kate Hepburn as the most polarizing actress at this form.   Many like you and I are big fans but others have very negative opinions of her screen persona;  e.g. too mannered,  her speech sounds to "practiced",   that she lacks charm etc... 

Just goes to show that each actor impacts each of us differently.

Yes, absolutely a matter of taste, like preferring strawberry to rum raisin.  I couldn't possibly tell anyone why I love Hepburn so much.  Of course there might be some technical things I could point to in her acting, but for the most part, it's simply that she "speaks" to me, where other performers don't.

And having said that, every year it seems I find something to like about some actor/movie I used to hate.  Maybe my time with de Havilland will come around as well.  I'm open.

5 minutes ago, Emily Emerac said:

BTW, I just looked it up, and the old movie I was thinking of where I liked de Havilland was The Irish in Us (1935).

Yea,  you appear to like very early DeHavilland.   Midnight Dream and The Irish in Us where her second and third films and she wasn't even 19.    

I like De Havilland but she's not in my  top tier of actresses.  That said, her performance in The Heiress knocked me out.  She is terrific!

Yes, I agree Robert Ryan deserved more accolades than he received.  I love him.

James Cagney was AWESOME is White Heat.  He should have been nominated.  Can't argue with Broderick Crawford ultimately winning for All the King's Men, though.  I love that movie and he's perfect in it.

A Letter to Three Wives is another of my favorites from 1949.  It was an excellent year for the movies.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yea,  you appear to like very early DeHavilland.   Midnight Dream and The Irish in Us where her second and third films and she wasn't even 19.    

Yes.  I like her a lot better in those, where she's much more natural.  Maybe she went to some studio classes where they taught her to be more, hmmmm, more what?  "Glamorous?"  Or maybe she picked it up herself as conduct more befitting a star.

Don't get me wrong - I certainly don't hate her work.  I just don't find it as fabulous as some seem to think it is.

On 9/7/2018 at 2:05 PM, Emily Emerac said:

Yes.  I like her a lot better in those, where she's much more natural.  Maybe she went to some studio classes where they taught her to be more, hmmmm, more what?  "Glamorous?"  Or maybe she picked it up herself as conduct more befitting a star.

Don't get me wrong - I certainly don't hate her work.  I just don't find it as fabulous as some seem to think it is.

Have you seen all her films? You might find some performances you like in the stuff you haven't seen yet.

55 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Have you seen all her films? You might find some performances you like in the stuff you  haven't seen yet.

I just checked IMDB for a list of de Havilland films.  I don't think I've ever seen one called The Well-Groomed Bride.  Maybe it's better than its title?

But I don't think it's going to change my mind about her.  You can't love them all. That's why there's more than one actor in the movies.

15 minutes ago, Emily Emerac said:

I just checked IMDB for a list of de Havilland films.  I don't think I've ever seen one called The Well-Groomed Bride.  Maybe it's better than its title?

But I don't think it's going to change my mind about her.  You can't love them all. That's why there's more than one actor in the movies.

THE WELL-GROOMED BRIDE is a Paramount picture that has never aired on TCM. I have not seen it either.

Here's my Olivia De Havilland Top 10:

1. THE HEIRESS
2. GONE WITH THE WIND
3. PRINCESS O'ROURKE
4. TO EACH HIS OWN
5. THE SNAKE PIT
6. MY COUSIN RACHEL
7. LADY IN A CAGE
8. LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA
9. THE DARK MIRROR
10. THE PROUD REBEL

I also like her performance in a 1972 telefilm called THE SCREAMING WOMAN.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings